Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2007, 04:17 AM   #301
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CRosie
Stats: 266/186/150
WOE: my own low carb/sometimes lowfat plan
Start Date: May 21, 2007
I just read through this whole thread, phew.

So the primary benefit that most people see is teeth whitening?

Thanks, Ro
CRosie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2007, 06:23 PM   #302
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Peony
Stats: Down 26
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2007
I think the primary benefit is that the teeth are soooooo clean! Mine feel better than when they are cleaned at the dentist. My teeth will never be white, but they are much lighter than they were.
Peony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 07:43 AM   #303
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: 123Nkechi
Stats: Fat/Still Fat/Not So Fat
WOE: Low carb (or something like it)...
Start Date: Starting Over...AGAIN!!!
I just read this whole thread and I am now convinced to give it a try. I will let you know how it goes.
123Nkechi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:12 AM   #304
Formerlychubchick

Gallery: CurveControl
Stats: 200/172.4/130
WOE: LC JUDD/TOPS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRosie View Post
I just read through this whole thread, phew.

So the primary benefit that most people see is teeth whitening?

Thanks, Ro
And, for me, appitite suppression, Though the claims are that it removes toxins from your bloodstream.
CurveControl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 08:08 AM   #305
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: 123Nkechi
Stats: Fat/Still Fat/Not So Fat
WOE: Low carb (or something like it)...
Start Date: Starting Over...AGAIN!!!
Well I tried last Friday with flax oil (because it was all I had) and it was okay but I had the taste of flax oil in my throat all day. I really didn't see any change other than that. I am going to do it again with sunflower oil and try again but for now I will stick with plain ole mouthwash.
123Nkechi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 10:05 AM   #306
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stilltryin
Stats: 160/155/135
WOE: atkins
this is very interesting to me...
i tried this yesterday morning with evoo ( all i had) the oil did not turn white..
i later found grapeseed oil but couldnt find sunflower(will look again today)..
it turned white..then again this morning..i have been doing this for 20 minutes with no problem but i am using a teaspoonful..i also am doing this after drinking morning coffee..i dont think i could do it before without hurling..
i did notice my gums seem to be bleeding less already..didnt notice whitening but i am a coffee and tea drinker so that is probably defeating the purpose ..i will keep it up though...my teeth do feel cleaner..no grunge feeling(gross)..

anyone else use grapeseed oil? is it ok to use it?
stilltryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 03:10 PM   #307
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Aceber
Stats: 155/123/118
Start Date: 10/01/06
Hello, this is my first time posting to this web site. I have been a lurker for many months. I started do the pulling last week after reading on here about it. So far I have noticed that my teeth are whiter and that my skin is softer. My elbows were really rough and now they are not. My mother is a diabetic. Does anyone have proof that it has helbed them? Thank you...Ace
Aceber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 06:14 PM   #308
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: faithgirl
Is anyone still doing this? How is it going for you?
faithgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:27 PM   #309
Junior LCF Member

I have been doing this 2 times a day for 2 weeks. I do see that my teeth are getting whiter. I was using olive oil. Now I am using the sunflower oil. It tastes much better. I do it for the whole 20 minutes. Any others still doing this?
Old 07-12-2007, 07:01 AM   #310
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
I have gotten too lazy...and my teeth have gotten yellower.
paulabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:07 AM   #311
Blabbermouth!!!

I've done it for a couple of days now. I've noticed my teeth feel cleaner. I am hoping for less sensitivity and healthier gums.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:40 PM   #312
Formerlychubchick

too much going on. I will restart next week when I get home. I really think it helps my teeth and my appitite.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:44 PM   #313
Big Yapper!!!!

Stats: 150~Maintaining since 2004
Start Date: January 2003
I think I started in February. I think it has lightened my teeth some (they were pretty stained) and my gums are great now, firm and pink. They improved within two weeks. I really love the clean, smooth feeling of my teeth. I started with olive oil and upgraded to walnut oil, at least 20 minutes at least once a day.

Rock on!
Island of Bluebells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 07:01 PM   #314
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: myth
Stats: 160/135
WOE: atkins
Start Date: january 2008
i can not believe i read this entire thread and now feel that if i don't do this i will be missing out on something so healthy. very interesting and i will start tonite!!
myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 12:30 PM   #315
Formerlychubchick

I gotta get back into this!
I stopped when i 'lost' my sunflower oil, then this week I bought a new bottle, Went to put it up~ and there was the old bottle.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:42 PM   #316
Blabbermouth!!!

I have been doing this off and on, mostly on, for the past 2 weeks and my teeth feel very clean and my gums look pinker than they have in a long time. I think they might be a little less sensitive, but I'm not sure. I am using coconut oil since that's what I have in the house.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:44 AM   #317
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SD1136
Stats: 355.6/329.4/?????
Start Date: 8/01/09
well, I read this thread last night, I went from Yuck, never, gag, etc.
To maybe, and I did it for the first time this am.
I used cocconut oil, which was already melted from the heat. I did the mouth thing while I took a shower, it wasnt as bad as I thought it would be. It was only a little grey when I spit it out. I am not quite sure why OIL would pull toxins out, Do you?
My mouth was ok after, I do have a linging taste even after I ate B/fast.
I doupt if I would do it more then once a day. But I am not looking for whiter teeth as my teeth at least the front ones are capped. Just healthier gums.
How is everyone else doing
sandi

One Day starts TODAY

Gluten free (without cheating) 8/1/09
Atkins 8/1/09
SD1136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 07:17 AM   #318
Blabbermouth!!!

I have no idea why it would pull toxins out. I am continuing, at least for now becuase i want my gums healthier. I think it helps somewhat with sensitivity, but I don't know becuase I am also using a sensitivity toothe paste, so probably not. I only do it once a day, and usually only about 10 minutes.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:51 PM   #319
Formerlychubchick

I have done it since my last post~ Seems to help the sensitivity to temp a LOT~ NOT something I could mistake as wishful thinking~ It Really has helped!
Old 08-08-2007, 06:12 AM   #320
Junior LCF Member

Good morning everyone. I have been doing this for 6 weeks. 6 days a week 2 times and Satudays just in the evening. I can actually see that my teeth are whiter. My skin feels so soft. Is anyone else still doing the pulling?
Old 08-10-2007, 01:06 PM   #321
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: WheelieGirl
Stats: 157/154/120
Start Date: July 22, 2007
Hesitating

I am intrigued by this thread. I went to WholeFoods today to get some oil and give it a shot. The only sunflower oil I found there is refined. Would that have the same benefit?
WheelieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:21 PM   #322
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: WheelieGirl
Stats: 157/154/120
Start Date: July 22, 2007
Another Question...

I have been oil pulling for 5 days now for about 10 minutes, once a day. My teeth feel much smoother and are less sensitive to temperatures. I have been doing more reading online about oil pulling and am concerned about the fillings in my teeth. Has anyone had problems with their metal filings coming out or loosening up?
WheelieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:34 PM   #323
Junior LCF Member

I have been doing it for over 7 weeks. I do it for at least 20 minutes 2 times a day, except for once on Saturdays. I have the metal fillings in my teeth. I have not had any problems with them. I love how my teeth feel after I do this. I used sunflower oil and ran out so now I am using safflower oil. I don't really feel any difference in the oils. Goo
Old 08-20-2007, 09:00 AM   #324
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: freeman525
Stats: (241)201.8/197.5/141
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart 12/30/13
Interesting idea!
Janice
freeman525 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 04:54 PM   #325
Blabbermouth!!!

Well, I am going to add this becuase I seem to be the only person experiencing this. I started well over a month ago and after several weeks I was in a lot of pain with my teeth. Extremely sensitive-if my mouth was open and I happened to be in front of a fan or something, my teeth really hurt a lot. Sugar and sodas, even diet sodas hurt a lot. We're talking throbbing pain here.

I thought it could not be the oil, but I stopped for a couple of weeks and i did use some stuff I found at the store-you brush it on your teeth near your gums and it cuts down on the sensitivity for a month. Then a couple of days ago I decided to try with the oil pulling again-several hours later I was having extreme sensitivity on a couple of my teeth that I did not use the desensitizing agent on. I did the oil again the next day and the same thing happened-several hours later I was in a lot of pain. I did not do the oil pulling yesterday nor this morning and I have not had any pain. I was using organic virgin coconut oil. I don't know why I am having this reaction. I have taken coconut oil internally and never had a problem. Needless to say I am not doing this again, although I might be willing to experiment if I ever come across some sunflower oil-i keep forgetting to buy some when I am at the store. My teeth did feel cleaner and I noticed a bit of whitening and my gums at first looked pinker. I had really hoped for some more health benefits from this...

Last edited by faithgirl; 08-20-2007 at 05:00 PM..
Old 09-22-2007, 07:18 PM   #326
Way too much time on my hands!

Location: Where the voices in my head are medicated for your safety
Gallery: Grizzy
Stats: 18/8/6
WOE: HCG
Start Date: Oct 09 Dr Simeons HCG
I saw the link to this thread in the Kimmer one and decided to give this a try.

Is anyone else still doing it?

Wish me luck...
Grizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 09:40 PM   #327
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
I started this tonight with coconut oil. I am hoping for healthier gums that are less sensitive!
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 04:50 AM   #328
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kar_kar
WOE: F-5/LC/whole foods
Start Date: 7/23/2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketosis View Post

Wish me luck...
I'm going to start tomorrow (also found this through the fascination thread). I'm hoping for whiter teeth and less sensitivity. I'll post an update after a week or so. Good luck!
kar_kar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 06:45 AM   #329
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: freyamoon
WOE: VERY low carb(added fiber)good fats only!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketosis View Post

Wish me luck...

Yes. I saw it there as well.. Then I went to this site, and read all the testimonials. It sounded like quackery at first (pun intended), but the more I read, the more I am sold on it. I got very excited and grabbed my sesame oil and swished for 20 mins no problem. But as I was reading and learning.. well, it was toasted sesame oil. I see some people have used it with results, but I am looking for the deeper healing properties as well.

Sooo.. a few hours later I swished with Coconut oil and a drop of tea-tree oil for 20mins. My teeth feel great! I spent a few hours researching "pulling" through google, and I really learned a lot.

I also ordered a bottle of Carlson's Fish Oil the other day for it's fantastic benefits. I read at the above link in the Q&A section that Cod Liver Oil and Fish Oil (both do the same except Cod Liver has a rich source of Vitamin-D if you need it) is actually the best oil for pulling. It has anti-viral as well as anti-fungal, and anti-bacterial properties. But it is thought to be too expensive for pulling. I do plan to use the fish oil once a day for a week to see what happens.

The fish oil is thought to have the strongest ability to pull the heavy metal out of your system as well. After that it is Sesame, and sunflower. (sesame and sunflower are the one's most recommended due to their strong ability for this.. fish oil is the most effective, but finding very well filtered fish oil for cheap is impossible. Everyone should be supplementing with Cod liver or fish oil for the BEST source of Omega-3's. Nothing compares). As for cod liver oil gel caps.. you would have to consume 6 caps at least to get the same benefits of one teaspoon of high quality fish oil. And most fish oil products out there are not high quality.

They also say aside from the fish oil(which is perfect).. a cheaper alternative to get the most benefits is a mixture of Sunflower and Coconut oil.. Sunflower is anti-bacterial and Coconut oil is anti-viral, and both are much better at drawing out the heavy metals than olive oil. Also a mix of Coconut and Sesame/or sunflower is optimal for softer skin and hair.

I also read in detail a BIG reason you need to swish for at least 10 mins is that the kill time for viral and bacteria doing the "pulling" takes 10-20 minutes. 10 minimum. You *can* reduce the kill time a bit by adding a drop of tea-tree oil(but it can burn a little if too much) or peppermint oil. If you are just looking to pull heavy metals, 5 mins is OK. 5 minutes is also good enough if you just want the dental benefits and only care about killing the bacteria in your mouth and not the whole body.

For now i will just use the coconut oil. Once my fish oil gets here, this will be my regiman:

Mornings: swish with the fish oil.
Before dinner: swish with a mix of coconut oil and sunflower/or sesame with a drop of tea-tree oil. (so I dont go through too much fish oil as I will also be drinking it)

This and biotin have me all psyched!

The most recent recommendations are that you brush your teeth with just warm water, or add a tiny bit of baking soda.. before you pull.. brushing before gets rid of residue so the oil/saliva mix can do it's job better. Brush your teeth right after you pull and then drink a full glass of water. This will help you get optimal benefits. You NEED to brush after to get rid of any residual oil because it is toxic and you don't want to re-absorb the toxins. The stuff you spit out is teaming with tons of bacteria not just from your mouth, but from your entire body. They have looked at the pulled oil under microscopes and it ain't pretty.

The dental benefits are only part of mouth cleansing. if you do it right, you will get a lot of benefits. It pulls out all sorts of crap. That is why it is called pulling and not just brushing your teeth with oil.

Last edited by freyamoon; 09-23-2007 at 07:03 AM..
freyamoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 07:11 AM   #330
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kar_kar
WOE: F-5/LC/whole foods
Start Date: 7/23/2007
Freyamoon,

I take the Carlson cod liver oil caps. I honestly don't know how anyone would be able to stand swishing fish oil, though...blechy. It's bad enough when I get the fish-oil burps. And you're right, it would be crazy expensive to do that twice a day.

But anyhoo, thanks for the info and tips! I love the idea of adding tea tree oil...I will definitely try that as well.

p.s. Check out krill oil for omega-3s as well...I take these along with the Carlson caps.
kar_kar is offline   Reply With Quote