Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2006, 09:47 PM   #1
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: srsmom
Stats: 196/178.4/140 5'3.5"
WOE: Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead juice on since 12/27/13
Start Date: May 22, 2004
Can I take anything for gallbladder attack pain?

OWWW!! I know this should be on the health board, but more people are here and I am hurting here... Thanks!
srsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2006, 09:54 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RITA04
Stats: 199/187/NOT SURE!
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: March 2006 Originally... off and on for years ;(
Ummm....Shouldn't you be in the ER right now....
RITA04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 09:56 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Queeny
Stats: down 2 sizes
WOE: ww points plus
I had mine out. All I know is don't eat ANY fat or eggs that will bring on an attack. Also you need to make sure it doesn't burst or you will be really sick. Just get it taken out if you can. It's an easy operation and fast recovery.
Queeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 09:57 PM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

I don't think so. This is my third one in a couple of years. The first one I went to the ER, thinking it was my heart. It wasn't. They did an ultrasound a few days later...no actual stones. It is apparently beginning to fail or something. Just hurts like the dickens for 24-48 hours, and has gone away after that the other two times. Apparently if I get a fever over 100.4 or the whites of my eyes get yellow or I get chills, I need to go in. Otherwise, the doctor has said to watch and wait. But it really HURTS. I was wondering if an antacid or ibuprofen would help?

ETA I was responding to Rita. Queeny, are your symptoms all gone now that yours is out? I am scared tog et it out because I have heard a lot of people have chronic diarrhea after that and have to eat low fat diets.

Last edited by srsmom; 05-16-2006 at 09:59 PM..
Old 05-16-2006, 10:11 PM   #5
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: DeliGirl
Stats: -25 from restart (-80 from highest ever)
WOE: Lean for Life
Start Date: May 26, 2010
I had mine out in 2003 and have had none of the side effects that I heard about. No diareahha, no nausea, no phantom attacks and best of all, NO low fat diet needed

I'd go to the ER though, just to get checked out and be sure. I know it can be a hassle, but it's in your best interest. There is the possibility of it rupturing and then they have to take it out with the big nasy incision. If there's a problem and they catch it in time, they can do it laproscopically. A few tiny scars that disappear over time, I think I had 4, but I can only find 1 now.

Watch the colour of the whites of your eyes, if they start to yellow, go ASAP. Watch the colour of your urine, I remember them asking me if it was coca cola coloured. That's supposed to be bad too.

Take care of yourself. If you're not going to go to the ER, I'd guess that tylenol may help a bit. I remember I'd always soak in a hot tub and that did help a bit, but that was my solution for everything.

Feel better
Ang
DeliGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 10:34 PM   #6

Gallery: Topazz
SRSMOM you have a Private Message waiting for you
Topazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 10:42 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Cyn150
Stats: 242/242/200
WOE: Low Carb
Hi...Those attacks are the worst....worse that childbirth! The first few times I had the attacks they would give me some Mylanta...it helped a little, so it's worth a try. You should really consider getting it removed tho...the pains only get worse. Good luck to you, ~Cyn
Cyn150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:33 PM   #8
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: DeliGirl
Stats: -25 from restart (-80 from highest ever)
WOE: Lean for Life
Start Date: May 26, 2010
Cyn150 I totally agree about them being worse than childbirth. I've had 2 kids naturally and the gall bladder attack was the worst pain I've ever felt in my life.
DeliGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:42 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CanadaCatherine
Stats: (345)330/251.8/160?
Start Date: April 27, 2004
Hi SRSMom,

I suffered with this for a few years before it was diagnosed (I used to think it was bad indigestion for a while). Then after it was diagnosed I still had to wait nearly a year for the surgery. Getting the gallbladder out was such a huge relief and I have had no discernable side effects from the surgery. Lots of people have it removed with no ill effects whatsoever. My doctor prescribed Tylenol with codeine and also an antispasmodic called Buscopan. Both helped somewhat but for the period of time before my surgery and before Atkins (Atkins helped immensely) I was having disabling gallbladder attacks as often as once or twice a week. I would have the surgery again in a heartbeat, I'm so glad I went ahead with it. Hope you feel better soon!
Fourth Goal: <230 in 2006!
CanadaCatherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 05:29 AM   #10
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: mrsislandqt
Stats: 220/131/carvin' it out...
WOE: Atkins/ckd
Start Date: March 2003
Yes- take yourself to the ER! Don't just wait for these attacks to pass. This is considered a medical emergency!

All the Best!
mrsislandqt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 09:01 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Cyn150
Stats: 242/242/200
WOE: Low Carb
Yep DeliGirl....I started getting the attacks really bad 1 month after I had my first child. Before I had my second child I told my husband..."just remind me how bad the gallbladder attacks were when I go into labor!...Childbirth was a snap compared to that pain!
Cyn150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 10:20 AM   #12

Gallery: Queeny
Stats: down 2 sizes
WOE: ww points plus
I agree it's so easy to have taken out if you don't wait until it's too late.
After it was out I was fine and could eat anything. Once in a blue moon, like once a year, I have to find a bathroom after a meal, and need to get there very quickly!!!! It was still worth it.

Also this is how I found out low fat diets don't work. I didn't eat one ounce of fat for three months, didn't lose a pound
Queeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 10:41 AM   #13
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

I, too, began having the attacks while on a low fat diet. I thought I was going to die, LOL. I used to call it my 'middle of the night' nightmare. The funny thing is that when I did go to the ER, I was misdiagnosed with food poisoning. I went to my GP and she sent me for a scan that revealed 'tons' of gallstones. I had a few more attacks and hospitalizations before my surgery because stones spilled into the bile duct (ouch). I was angry for the initial misdiagnosis until I learned that, at the time, I did not fit the ER diagnostic criteria profile: Fat, Fair, Fertile.
Have it removed, if you can. Please don't continue to put yourself through that pain (understatement)
Old 05-17-2006, 11:01 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kimmyshell
Stats: 134/134/100 5'1"
WOE: Atkin's
While I was waiting to have my surgery, my doc gave me strong antacids to take and they really helped when I had an attack. I'm with everyone else - I would really recommend the surgery. It was such a relief to get rid of that pain for good.
kimmyshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 11:04 AM   #15
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

The only thing that sort of helped (made me feel very nauseated) was meperidine (oral demerol). It acted as an antispasmodic. I'm getting chills just thinking about that pain, lol.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:36 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Yes, please get yourself to an ER or to the doctor ASAP. The appropriate medical treatment (until the issue can be solved medically or surgically) is pain medication, because the pain is severe and really won't be helped much by over the counter ibuprofen or aspirin or something.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 02:05 PM   #17
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Sweetalex
Stats: 190/180/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2003
I was told to go to the ER but mainly because I live in Canada and you get bumped for surgery if you have regular attacks. The only way they know you're having them often is if you're in the ER.

The only thing that ever worked for me was Demoral. I got a butt-shot one time in the ER and the doctor gave me a few Demerol pills if it happened again before I could get the darn thing yarded out of me. They worked.

The moment you start to have any the symptoms the doctor said (it means that the stone is completely blocking the duct causing the poisons to leach into your blood) go to the ER ASAP to get your blood checked. It can be fatal.

Oh, and the only thing my ultrasound picked up was "sand" in my gallbladder, no rocks but I don't think it mattered with the pain I was having, holy poop it was bad.

Good luck!! I hope you feel better soon.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:15 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mikeysmommy33
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: Re-start 11/7/2014
I had mine out in 2000 - there is nothing you can take to my knowledge but don't eat any fat! Man, that is what caused me HUGE problems - the surgery is pretty quick and recovery for me was living in a reclyner chair for about a week - but on day three I was able to take a shower by myself and things slowly started get easier.
I am one of the unfortunate ones. I do have extreme diarrhea EVERY morning - right after my first meal - doesn't matter even if it is one slice of cucumber or a bite of meat or cheese - It's hard - the doctor's always just say it's IBS and eat more fiber that will help. I know that i didn't have this problem UNTIL after my surgery. Since 2000 EVERY morning I am sick - I usually just don't leave the house until after I eat and am done BEING sick.
ON THE UP AND UP - I WILL tell you that since I have been low carbing there are more days when I DO NOT have this trouble (usually due to constipation now) ha ha ha. I bought some Benefiber stuff - sugar free and it helps though!
I think you should see the doctor soon though - once your attacks start happening frequently you will need to have surgery.
Good luck and hope you feel better soon!
Old 05-17-2006, 02:22 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mikeysmommy33
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: Re-start 11/7/2014
Oh and I forgot to point out one thing - I was doing the Weight Management Program drinking HMR shakes!!! basically I drank my meals - never a surprise what I was having! After losing 36 pounds in 14 weeks the attacks started. After the surgery MY MOUTH STARTED I gained back the 36 PLUS a whole bunch of friends. Once I had tasted FOOD and was able to CHEW something - I was NOT going back to the shakes only!
I am glad to be lowcarbing - so much more satisified!
mikeysmommy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 06:08 PM   #20
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks everyone. It is still sore, but much better today. I went off plan...had water, pretzels, and a piece of bread. I hope tonight will not be like last night, and that the symptoms will just go away for another year like they did last time. Here's hoping!! (If not, I will go back in to the doctor and get the silly thing out.)
Old 05-18-2006, 01:42 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Praying Colonel
Stats: 308/297/185
WOE: Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmom
I don't think so. This is my third one in a couple of years. The first one I went to the ER, thinking it was my heart. It wasn't. They did an ultrasound a few days later...no actual stones. It is apparently beginning to fail or something. Just hurts like the dickens for 24-48 hours, and has gone away after that the other two times. Apparently if I get a fever over 100.4 or the whites of my eyes get yellow or I get chills, I need to go in. Otherwise, the doctor has said to watch and wait. But it really HURTS. I was wondering if an antacid or ibuprofen would help?
If my Doc told me that I just had to deal with it, I think I'd find another Doc. I've never been through as much pain as I went through with my gallbladder in '97 (when I was doing a Nutri/System low-fat, high-carb diet, BTW). By the time my gallbladder finally shut down, I literally couldn't eat anything other than bread and water--anything else sent me into an attack. All they'd do when I went to the ER was give me phenergan and send me home in a stupor (that stuff really kicked me in the butt). I finally found a Doc who took my symptoms seriously and had a lap/choly the next week.

Unless you're a surgical risk, I don't see any reason to live with that kind of pain. Good luck.

Last edited by Praying Colonel; 05-18-2006 at 01:49 PM..
Praying Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 03:33 PM   #22
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

I guess the only problem would be not having an actual diagnosis. Insurance co. would deem cholecystectomy medically unnecessary unless there is a dx of gallbladder disease.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:28 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: um_ahmad
Stats: Pregnant:)
WOE: woe
Start Date: feb 2006
I tried to stay on atkins with gall bladder attacks, Dont even think about it. You eat high protein, your done. If i were you i would just take it out. I did now I can eat and travel with out fear. But in the mean time eleve pills helped me alot. There sold over the counter. Good luck!
um_ahmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 09:06 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Moonchild
Stats: (272 first go around) 219/190/180
WOE: LC
Start Date: restart Sept 02, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsislandqt View Post
...ER diagnostic criteria profile: Fat, Fair, Fertile.
LOL .... when I had mine taken out in the early 80's, they told me the 3 Fs were: FAT, FANCY, and FORTY. Meaning the prob was usually found in people who were fat, ate fancy foods (i.e. cream sauces ... and I only like "cream of..." soups), and 40+ in age. I was only 19 at the time but the other two described me well.

I first started having the attacks when I was pregnant with my oldest daughter. I thought I was in labor! A few months after I gave birth, I started having the attacks more frequently. We would start on our way to the ER and the pain would stop. So, I had hubby take me back home because I knew at this hospital if you weren't screaming in pain or bleeding half to death ... they practically just gave you an aspirin and sent you home. This happened over and over ... excruciating pain ... then on the way to ER ... pain stopped. I was beginning to think I was loony! Finally, when it happened again ... sure enough the pain stopped but I insisted we go on to ER anyways. Turns out I was full of gallstones.

The doctor explained why the pain would stop on the way to ER:

He said the gallbladder USUALLY only hurts that bad IF the stones are going through the main bile duct (mine were). Sometimes, some jostling of the body can make the stones settle back down into the gallbladder and the pain will stop.

Well, we had an old jalopy of a truck and lived on a "washboard" dirt road. The jostling motion of being bounced up and down in the truck was what made the stones settle down so I quit hurting every time. LOL

He also told me that I was so inflamed and septic(?) ... or peptic(?) .. one of those words (was long ago) and that if I hadn't made the decision finally to go into ER that I may not have made it through the night. They did immediate surgery. (arrrghhh .... this was one year before they stated doing the easier surgery .... so I was cut from the middle of my stomach all the way to my side).

You don't want to play around with this! Yes, I had the bad side effects for around 2 years afterwards. I would bend over in pain so bad I would break out in a cold sweat (you would have sworn I was going into shock ... could've been) and if I had to have a bowel movement ... LOOK OUT ... because I had to go NOW! I wasn't able to attend any functions that I couldn't be very close by the bathroom. However, that pain at least meant I was alive. Great compared to the alternative. :-)

My sister had the surgery 1 year after I did. She was lucky because they had come up with the easier operation at that time. She has two little tiny scars the width of the top of my pinky finger! She also had no probs afterwards.

LOL ... sorry about the book I just wrote. I am very gabby!
Old 10-14-2006, 04:59 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Stackeyha
WOE: Low Carb/Checking out Paleo/Whole Foods
Start Date: 05/03/13
I didn't read the other posts so sorry if this is a repeat...YES you can take a boat load of ginger (the capsulated kind) and that will help in the midst of the attack.

And as soon as the attack is over...do a cleanse ( http://curezone.com/gallstones/ ) there are several on that site...my favorite is the Hulda Clark.

In October 2004 I was scheduled for surgery...but I was in early pregnancy so they wanted to wait until my second trimester...as you are probably aware...I was in constant, horrendous pain...and could barely eat...even salad was giving me fits. The ultra sound showed in excess of 150 stones... I couldn't wait...started researching cleanses on the advise of my chiropractor. I'm so SO glad I did it that way. I've done 4 cleanses since that time...but have not had a single symptom since the first cleanse that I did in early November 2004. I got piles of stones in each of the first 3 times I cleansed and only chaff in this last time. It would appear I'm done for now.

The Hulda Clark cleanse takes a little over 24 hours and is unpleasant...basically you are going to be sitting on the potty for several hours...but other than taking it easy the next day or so, like you would do after a stomach flu...it's over and done.

I would definately suggest trying it to anyone considering surgery, the risks and discomfort are WAY less to my mind.

A Whole New Life Ahead of Me
Stackeyha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 05:05 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Stackeyha
WOE: Low Carb/Checking out Paleo/Whole Foods
Start Date: 05/03/13
Whoops didn't realize that this was SOOO old...

Sorry for the late advise...hope everything has worked out famously for you since you originally wrote it.
Stackeyha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:19 PM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ajnos
hello stack,

I am planning to do the cleans...more specifically the liver cleans. did you do zap for at least a week before or were you on the parasite cleans? I would like to start right away but do you recommend zapping or the parasite cleans in advance?

thanks,

ajnos
ajnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:27 PM   #28

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Be wary of cleanses-sometimes they do more damage than good. I had 6 huge gallstones that would not have passed with any type of cleanse-they had to be surgically removed.

Michael A. Klaper, M.D.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:26 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MagicalHome
Do you know the size and number of stones in your gall bladder? An ultrasound will let you know that. Small stones may block the gall bladder's passage way which can do harm to your body. Take care.
MagicalHome is offline   Reply With Quote