Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2006, 04:53 AM   #1
ew1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ew1
How long does Cytomel take to work?

Hi all.I reduced my 25 mg to a quarter of a pill per dose and wondered how long does it take to have an effect? I am still dragging around and don't feel any different.
Elaine
ew1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2006, 05:46 AM   #2
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Gallery: nonstickpam107
So, you are dosing x4 a day? You should be able to test for a blood level in about four weeks. It takes most of us about six months to reach optimized levels. Know that you can go from '0 to 80' in a flash and that's not a good thing to go hyPER...cuz you'd have to start ALL OVER AGAIN. You are also on T4 correct? You need to put what you are on and how much of all the thyroid hormone. I'll bet you'd feel GREAT if switched over to Armour Thyroid.

I'd say if you are taking the meds correctly (Take the T4 an hour before eating anything along with first dose of Cytomel, NO: calcium, iron for four to six hours, and no fiber for one hour), no soy, etc. and maybe today, bring that Cytomel to three dosages, one in am, one in early afternoon, one at about 6-7pm. You see, if the doc had you UNDERtreated with the T4, than Cytomel isn't going to do it 'all'. Even though Cytomel only has a half life of 4 hours (it only works for about 4 to 6 hours, that's WHY you split dosage), your T4 has a half life of two WEEKS, so what you take in T4 TODAY isn't 'working for about a week and a half, so that Cytome will 'catch up' with the T4...that's WHY you won't want to get FT4, FT3 in about four to six weeks.

Pam
nonstickpam107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 06:05 AM   #3
ew1
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Pam, how are YOU doing?

OK, I didn't realize I should be taking the .5 4 times a day. I have been taking .5 before b'fast on empty stomach with my synthroid 0.15 and then taking one .5 in the afternoon. (I cut my .25 pill into 4 parts). I take my vitamins about an hour after bfast-multi, E, C, Panthothenic acid, Prevacid and glucosamine/chondroitin. I save my calcium /mag for bedtime.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:23 AM   #4
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Prevacid?? Doesn't that 'coat' the esophagus and GI tract? (I haven't needed it since lowcarbing...I'm lucky). I'm wondering about that, but you can take that Cytomel sublingually to speed it up (under your tongue, or tucked in cheek, let dissolve).

Um, I'd be cutting that 25mg. Cytomel three ways and just am, early afternoon, late afternoon. When are you working out in relation to taking it?

Pam
Old 04-10-2006, 09:26 AM   #5
ew1
Major LCF Poster!

Hi. I take prevacid because I have a hiatal hernia that gives me serious reflux every time I eat anything unless I'm on the med.( Trust me, I have been off of it and I am better on it.) I don't take it until a good 2 hrs after the thyroid meds in the morning.

OK, 3 doses it will be.That would work out to around 8 mg a pop? I will also try the sublingual as I take some vitamins after lunch.So I would take the cytomel before lunch?

I work out around 4:30 after work. So what would you recommend as dosage times, etc?

Sorry to be such a pest but you ARE the woman
Old 04-10-2006, 10:45 AM   #6
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Yep, I know about Prevacid, I, too, have a HUGE hiatal hernia, but it hasn't given me any problems since I started lifting and eating lowcarb.

It doesn't matter WHEN you eat, take vitamins, etc. if you take your thyroid med sublingually...that bypasses the problem completely. If the 3x daily doesn't do the trick, then I'd go with 2/3 in the am, and 1/2 in early afternoon (say, 2-3pm). Many split their T3 with 'most' in the am, for a boost (unless ya work afternoons!) and then the rest in the early afternoon. That way you have some room to go up in dosage in the afternoon/early evening, if needed down the road of treatment.

I know I work out in the am (heavy weight...not a lot of cardio...cardio just raises my cortisol and makes my body hang on to bodyfat%) and that's when I take 2/3 of my Armour in the am. I follow it in the early afternoon for the rest of my dosage.

Pam
Old 04-15-2006, 04:12 AM   #7
ew1
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Pam. Just wanted to tell you I am starting to drop some weight! Nice slow 1-2 lbs this week
Happy Easter!
Old 04-15-2006, 04:43 AM   #8
Thyroid Patient Advocate

WOOHOO for YOU!! (People without hypothyroidism don't realize this, but anything over 1/2 pound a WEEK is a phenomenal rate of loss for us). Happy Easter!!!!

Pam
Old 04-16-2006, 12:06 PM   #9
ew1
Major LCF Poster!

Happy Easter to you too!

Question-I am scheduled to get retested post start of cytomel in about 2 weeks. I am going to the hospital lab at request of the internist (he's right next door and they get results back faster)/ He has TSH, T4 free( blood test # is 84439) and T3, Total( 84480). Is there a T3 Free number that I am missing or is that included in the T3 Total?

PS, after my TAH, I had 3 good days in a row, then I'd crash on the fourth and the cycle would repeat itself for about 5 weeks. Don't be surprised if you have bursts of energy and then feel flattened!

Elaine
Old 04-16-2006, 12:36 PM   #10
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Doctors sometimes have to write in the FT3, some labs have a rule that if it comes back in range, they won't do it. Isn't that nice of them?? NOT!! So, have the doc write it in Free T3. Total isn't doing you much good, it doesn't show what you are actually using. Why are so many docs adamant about a FT4 (as if everyone converts it into T3!) but not a FT3?????

Yeah, I overdid the other day, went to Walmart, then had a day of rest, then did biceps curls, and dips and shoulder shrugs with very little dumbbells, and today is a rest day. Well, I just made 55 meatballs and two gallons of sauce...but...that's restful.

Pam
Old 04-15-2009, 01:04 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Butterflyk
Start Date: July 11, 2008
Thyroid removed, help please with med's

Hi Pam,

Its been a little while, but thanks to you and this wonderful site, I was able to see the right dr's - and get the right help. Turns out the growth (nodule) on my thyroid was Papillary cancer and so they removed my entire thyroid two weeks ago. I have not been having great luck with the Cytomel they prescribed, not sure what is wrong. They started me on 50 mcg a day - took one 25 in morning, one before bed. Within a couple days was totally hyper - anxious, heart racing, sweats etc. Dr. at hospital where I live (had surgery in entirely different city), reduced the medication in half - so now taking a 25 mcg cut in half each day.

Question, am I geting too little now? I was wondering how long it takes for this medication to kick in, reason. is that after I take the pill it takes about 7 hrs for me to feel a little better, before taking I have all the symptoms above happening, especially alot of heart palpitations, shaky etc.

Also was reading above how others are taking it 3x's a day?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

PS Dr's where I live, wanted to leave the noducle for the next year to see if it got any bigger, so glad I was able to find the right dr's.
Butterflyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:12 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: clarke
Start Date: Lost 35 with Atkins in 2003. Lowest weight 142
Butterflyk, are they only putting you on cytomel in preparation for RAI Radioactive Iodine? I went through the PapCa in the fall of 2008. Can't help you with the cytomel question though since I didn't use cytomel as I had to postpone the RAI for an extra month due to a trip. Good luck to you!
clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 08:14 AM   #13
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyk View Post
Hi Pam,

Its been a little while, but thanks to you and this wonderful site, I was able to see the right dr's - and get the right help. Turns out the growth (nodule) on my thyroid was Papillary cancer and so they removed my entire thyroid two weeks ago. I have not been having great luck with the Cytomel they prescribed, not sure what is wrong. They started me on 50 mcg a day - took one 25 in morning, one before bed. Within a couple days was totally hyper - anxious, heart racing, sweats etc. Dr. at hospital where I live (had surgery in entirely different city), reduced the medication in half - so now taking a 25 mcg cut in half each day.

Question, am I geting too little now? I was wondering how long it takes for this medication to kick in, reason. is that after I take the pill it takes about 7 hrs for me to feel a little better, before taking I have all the symptoms above happening, especially alot of heart palpitations, shaky etc.

Also was reading above how others are taking it 3x's a day?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

PS Dr's where I live, wanted to leave the noducle for the next year to see if it got any bigger, so glad I was able to find the right dr's.

Yeah, they usually put you on Cytomel T3 before an RAI scan....they can't do T4 at that time.

Um, it comes in 5mg. dosages and most take about 10mg. am, then 5 around noonish, than another 5mg. around 3pm, and so on. The PDR says it only comes in 50mg. dosage (that's wrong) and docs who aren't 'used to' Rx'ing it...don't know it comes in 5mg. dosages. But taking it before bed would be wrong..would be like drinking 2 pots of coffee! It lasts for about four hours (longer in the body, but most take a little every four hours or so, than let off a few hours before bedtime).

I take about 27mg. T3 split over the course of a day. Just to let ya know. And back off was the right thing to do. I'm glad you are getting treatment, and so very happy to know you are 'rid' of the cancer. Bless you.

Pam

Last edited by nonstickpam107; 04-17-2009 at 08:17 AM..
Old 04-27-2009, 08:06 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Hello and thanks for the replies.

My Cytomel dosage is actually 12.5 MCG twice a day. I spoke with the surgeon last week regarding the remainder of my test results as they had found papillary cancer in the left lobe and that's why they removed the entire thyroid. When I asked if I needed any cancer treatment he said no.

Could you please explain what the RAI is? and why they might still do this? Is this more of a test? I see the surgeon on May 8th again.

Right now because of the heart thing happening, atrial fib, they have me taking the Digoxin 0.25mg once a day.

Its so strange that this heart thing happened after my surgery - though my physician said it may have been underlying prior and no one realized it.

I got my recent lab results, they were TSH 0.87 T4 4.0 T3 6.1.

Pam do the above values sound reasonable? I'm almost thinking that I am still taking slightly too much Cytomel right now. Though I have to admit my energy levels are slowing returning, very slowly, but still noticing a difference - definitely much better since before the surgery. I also lost 6 lbs since the surgery - was very happy with that.

My pharmacist said I can get the Cytomel in 5 mcg tablets, I'm thinking taking two in the morning and one late afternoon - but will discuss this with the endo dr first.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be very welcome as always. Thanks so much again.

ButterflyK.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:20 AM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Pam & Clarke, is it necessary to do the RAI? I have now just quickly read so many have very adverse affects - surely there must be an alternative? My thyroid is removed, they say they got all the cancer - so why to this test?

Feelin a little nervous about this.
Butterflyk.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:54 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Chandlerbing
Cardio raises cortisol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstickpam107 View Post
I know I work out in the am (heavy weight...not a lot of cardio...cardio just raises my cortisol and makes my body hang on to bodyfat%).
Pam
Nonstickpam:

I am intrigued by your statement that "cardio just raises my cortisol and makes my body hang on to bodyfat%."

How did you learn that? I don't find cardio too helpful either and prefer weightlifting (maybe I am looking for an excuse to avoid cardio).
Chandlerbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:28 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tybeeanna
Stats: H286 }232VSG{ C162 G when I get there
WOE: low/carb 8-21-12
Start Date: 8/21/12
for pam

old post bump for ?
tybeeanna is offline   Reply With Quote