Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2005, 02:34 PM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: JoLi
Stats: 196/191.5/160
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 8/19/14
"Foci in the white brain matter"

I have recently found that I have "foci (lesions) in my white brain matter. I had an mri fone for tinnitus and the ear part was fine but they found this other thing and couldn't explain it. I now have an appointment with a neruologist on Wednesday. I've read abunch about what it could be. I'm bipolar so I'm assuming it's just the changes in my brain related to that. (according to the research this is not uncommon). I don't like to think of the alternatives. Has anyone else experienced this?
JoLi is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-2005, 04:07 PM   #2
I'm a giver!

Gallery: Bobbie
Stats: OMG
I cannot tell you anything about this condition, but I can send a prayer your way.

Bobbie
Bobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 05:08 PM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Butternut
Stats: FAT
WOE: No Flour, No Sugar
Start Date: I have been very bad....
We are allowed a limited number of little white matter infarcts, according to our age. Have you had high blood pressure? Also depends on what area of the white matter they are located.
Are you diabetic?
In 1998, I started having tinnitus in left ear with dizziness and severe, daily headaches. I was never one to have headaches. I was so dizzy that I had to hold onto the shower walls to keep from falling during bathing/washing. I was terribly tired, sleepier after meals.
Going from doctor to doctor and not getting answers. Tests out the ying-yang. All ok. They even did a spinal tap to check for Multiple Sclerosis. Nothing.
I changed doctors again. She ordered a three hour glucose tolerance test. Bingo! I was diabetic. The other doctors had not seen the signs because my fasting blood sugar was always normal. We got the sugar under control. No more headaches, dizziness stopped, but the ringing in my ear NEVER went away. These days if I eat something high in carbs, the ringing is louder! But there are worse things that could be had....
When the crickets are singing, I don't notice the ringing so much. When it is still, as in the winter, sometimes, it's distracting. I would give quite a bit for total silence for a day. And sometimes it makes it hard to tolerate a lot of noises externally.
Good luck and let us know how things are.
Butternut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 05:25 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

I'm not diabetic and do not have diabetes although it does run in the family. I'm only 44. I didn't have labs with my physical this year because they were fine last year so I'm not sure how my blood sugars are now, but it's never been a problem.
thanks for the good wishes.
Old 12-25-2005, 09:07 PM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Butternut
Stats: FAT
WOE: No Flour, No Sugar
Start Date: I have been very bad....
Blood pressure ok too?
Butternut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 06:33 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FoolsGold
My MRI showed some similar foci which were described as expected at my age (55 then). I have a feeling that 'essentially normal' description was in error (Doctors don't have a good track record with me) but after obtaining a second opinion from a very experienced neuro-radiologist, I'm comfortable with it and am sure its the least of my problems.
FoolsGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 02:04 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

blood pressure has always been fine as well.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:49 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

I had my appointment yesterday. He did a comlete neuro exam. Didn't say if anything was wrong. He said he had a har time seeing the "foci on the brain". However he ordered another scan just to focus on my brain (the other was really looking at my ears). He is also going to scan my neck because of one of the other symptoms I was having to see if I had a slipped disc. Maybe this is the real reason I was supposed to go in. I go for the next round of MRI's next Wednesday.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:36 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jloh
White matter Foci

Hello,

I appear to have matter matter foci as well. Did you ever get a daignosis on this?
jloh is offline   Reply With Quote