Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2004, 03:04 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: chasehq
Stats: 300/199/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/2/2004
Anyone wake up from a nap with their heart beating fast?

Sometimes when I wake up from a nap, my heart is beating kinda fast....its not like a hard pounding but rather short and quick....its kinda weird.

Is this kinda thing normal or should I go see a doc. I should note that when I wake up in the morning I never have this feeling, only after a short 15-30 minute nap.
chasehq is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2004, 07:20 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wantintolose
Stats: 287/277/180 5'6 35yrs. old
WOE: Weight Watchers
Start Date: March 24/2004
I have experienced this too.. like you said, only with short naps. I have no idea what causes it. I'll be checking back to see if someone can shed some insight.
wantintolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 07:36 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BABSY
I have it too and along with it,I will feel shaky all over. Especially
on the back of my neck and at my temples.
BABSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 09:11 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Ok now that I have established that this is not just a "ME" thing....and others have the feeling.

Why does it happen?
Old 04-25-2004, 11:16 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

my doctor told me it was stress
Old 04-25-2004, 02:12 PM   #6
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: tweetynole2
Stats: 280/225/170; 5'7"; 26/18/14
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: January 9, 2004
Could be a heart thing....

My mom was going through that. They switched her blood pressure meds....a friend of mine had it and it was her thyroid. I've also heard it could be a thing related to drinking too much water, although I doubt that seriously. I'd have it checked out.
tweetynole2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 02:48 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Kacjac
Stats: 348/285/160*** 26-28/22-24/12-14
WOE: One bite at a time
Start Date: Long, long ago, in a place far, far away!
Well it certainly is a mystery....my mother had it all her life, while she was alive, but the strange thing was, it happened if she was woke up too suddenly, we always had to call her quietly, we knew we were to never startle her, she would shake and her heart would beat fast! And then guess what, it started happening to me, I thought maybe it was genetically connected, in some way! Then It quit, I haven't had it happen for along time!
Thank God...It's a very disturbing feeling, and the one connection it seem's to have, is that it is after a short nap! Weird! I will be checking back here, for more insight! Karen
----------------------------------------
I remain committed to my lifelong journey toward self-acceptance, self-confidence and self-worth!

"The ONLY way OUT is THROUGH"
Kacjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 06:15 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: yolonda
Stats: 154/141/120
WOE: Diabetetic Diet
Start Date: June 2007
I to am having the heart pounding suddenly. It wakes me up at night sometimes. Very distracting ! after a couple weeks I saw my Dr. ( I have Mitral Valve prolapse ) She had me wear a heart monitor for 24 hrs, Nothing happened ! She also had me get blood work done. The results were that I am low on potassium. So I am now taking potassium tablets. Been on for 4 days now & so far so good, Go for more blood work on Monday.
She says this will cause the palpitations

YOLONDa
yolonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 07:19 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

chasehq- do you have diabetes? just curious, cuz i do and i was
wondering if there was some kind of connection for me having
the same thing.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:30 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BABSY
chasehq- do you have diabetes? just curious, cuz i do and i was
wondering if there was some kind of connection for me having
the same thing.
No I am not diabetic....at least not that I know of.
Old 04-29-2004, 06:09 PM   #11
Sassy Tart

Gallery: yellowrose
Stats: SW 179 ~~ CW 145 ~~
WOE: Take it one day at a time..
Start Date: January 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by BABSY
my doctor told me it was stress

I have this and I believe stress is the cause. Major stress right now with me. I had it years ago and it stopped and now its back.
yellowrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 10:59 AM   #12
Thick and Delicious

Gallery: CARLINI
Stats: 303/296/140
Start Date: 2/14/2004
The same thing would happen to me. About 15 minutes after I fell asleep I would wake up with a rapid heartbeat. This also happened to me in 2000. Back then the doc ran all kinds of tests; blood work, EKG, and stress test. Everything turned out to be fine. It went away and now just recently came back. The doc told me to take my pulse for a full minute when it happens and call him with the number. He said this is very common and usually happens during times of stress. And losing weight does put some stress on the body. But I would always recommend checking with the doc, as there are many things that can cause rapid heartbeat.
Old 05-07-2004, 09:20 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lil_joy69
this happend to me the first time i tried Atkins. Also would happen if i layed on my... i think it was left side. In the chatroom someone suggested my potasium was low. Working nights at a hospital i was able to hook a monitor up to myself and watch my heartbeat. A wise nurse friend saw that the was a wave that didn't belong there. She imidiatly said every time she had seen that it was caused by either too much or too little potasium.
i started taking a multi vitamin more regularly and sometimes took a teaspoon of apple cider vinager in a glass of water. solved my problem

Callanetics 15 hours DONE

40 pounds GONE!!!
lil_joy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 04:24 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Muhammed Ali
I have it too

Hello every one
I am glad I found this forum talking about it....I has been suffering from this almost 6 years now... Today I was taking a nap and suddenly I wake up with a heart beating so far in such a way that I run to get me some water... I was so scared and thought that would be my end....
This happened to me several times and even at night...so I don’t think it only happens when taking short naps

I see that it is not only me who experienced this... I think we should work on developing something to help us all get thru it

I know for sure that the symptom must be linked to some other health problems because as I know of I m “close phobic” …I get scared to use elevator alone or seating in a room with doors closed… also I am having asthma and arthritis

Thanks you all
Muhammed Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 06:46 AM   #15
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Gallery: nonstickpam107
If you are new to lowcarbing, it can be lack of potassium and magnesium. A safe way to get potassium is to use some lite salt (or no salt product)..I like Morton's but any brand will do, on your food. And take a magnesium supp (most come with calcium, like I take 500mgcal/250mg magnesium in one capsule. Otherwise, if that doesn't take care of it, you need to be seeing a doctor.

Women with Hashimoto's hypothyroidism or Graves disease (also autoimmune) or peri meno or menopausal can also have those symptoms...when in doubt, have the doc check it out.

Pam
nonstickpam107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 12:00 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Laura in Arizona
WOE: Paleo/Protein Power
Start Date: June 6 2008
Yep, I have had this happen to me too. Thanks for everyone's input. I probably need more potassium (been lc for 3 weeks), take a good supplement for magnesium, might have a thyroid issue (going to have doc check it out) and am perimenopausal. Already had an ekg with nothing unusual. Nice to know though isn't it that you are not the only one...
Laura in Arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 12:31 AM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Muhammed Ali
I just want to know how serious is this? can it cause death???

Good luck every one
Muhammed Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 06:34 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Laura in Arizona
WOE: Paleo/Protein Power
Start Date: June 6 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhammed Ali View Post
I just want to know how serious is this? can it cause death???

Good luck every one
Hi Muhammed Ali,
I think it is very important that you get checked out by your doctor. There are probably lots of things that can cause this. Some may be serious and others not. The only way to determine what is going on is to get an evalutation and run some tests.

You are very concerned about this so please go see your doctor. He/she will be able to determine if is "something" or "nothing". Then you will know and won't have to worry so much. Then please report back so we will learn too!
Laura in Arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 04:24 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SteveKITH
Stats: 415/394/240
Start Date: August 2004
happens to me sometimes when I wake up suddenly. I think it just adrenaline.
SteveKITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:53 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: valentine21463
Stats: 192/183/140 (5'4")
Start Date: 5/27/12 (This time for real!)
I've had this before too. On and off throughout my life. Even as a kid. At the age of 40 I was diagnosed with Supraventricular Tachycardia (arrythmia(?). Doc gave me a little pill to take everyday and TADA!!!! All gone!!!! Every once it still happens but it's not as frequent, or as bad as it use to be, and it's usually because of stress.

If you're worried about it then I suggest you get yourself checked out.
valentine21463 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 01:01 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentine Baby View Post
I've had this before too. On and off throughout my life. Even as a kid. At the age of 40 I was diagnosed with Supraventricular Tachycardia (arrythmia(?). Doc gave me a little pill to take everyday and TADA!!!! All gone!!!! Every once it still happens but it's not as frequent, or as bad as it use to be, and it's usually because of stress.

If you're worried about it then I suggest you get yourself checked out.
what is that and do you HAVE to take meds for it? Is it dangerous?
Old 07-03-2008, 09:42 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: valentine21463
Stats: 192/183/140 (5'4")
Start Date: 5/27/12 (This time for real!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BABSY View Post
what is that and do you HAVE to take meds for it? Is it dangerous?

Supraventricular Tachycardia- With supraventricular tachycardia, you may have palpitations, an uncomfortable feeling that your heart is racing or pounding. You may also notice that your pulse is rapid or see or feel your pulse pounding, especially at your neck, where large arteries are close to the skin. Additional symptoms include feeling dizzy or lightheaded, near-fainting or fainting (syncope), shortness of breath, chest pain, throat tightness, and sweating.

My heart will speed up rapidly for no reason and I feel like my heart skips beats every once in a while. I could just be sitting there and my heart will beat like I'm running. I could be laying there and I could feel my heart skip beats. Sometimes it would wake me up in my sleep. Sometimes it would send me right into a panic attack!

Becasue this type of arrythma is located at the bottom of my heart it makes it non-fatal. I do take meds because it's miserable to have a rapid skipping heart beat. I actually feel sleepy because of it.

The meds are great! I take one pill a day and now I'm a new person! More energy, sleep better, exercise without getting winded, etc.

You can also look it up on webmd.com to learn more.

I've had this since I was a kid and scared to death that one day I was going to drop dead from a heart attack. I'm so relieved and happy to know I'm okay after all!
valentine21463 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 02:23 AM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Terps17
well this just happened to me about 10 minutes ago and i typed in some symptoms on google and i found this (this isn't the first time, it's happened a few other times) . first off, i would like to say that i've had many experiences with rapid heartbeat, panic/anxiety attacks, etc. i've been to my doctor many times, got tests and the whole nine yards. it is not unusual for a person to feel like they are near death when having an experience like this, especially the first time it happens. I've been researching conditions (if thats what you want to call them) like these for a few years now over the internet. Many, many, many people have these episodes which cause panic and concern. The one thing you don't want to do is let it affect you to the point where it sends you into months of anxiety because you think you have a heart problem (like me). I'm not telling you to blow it off, but 99% of the time, it's just something that happens naturally and you can't control. If it happens often, then there could be something wrong and you should see a doctor.

Anyway, I think I may know why some of these nap-ruiner's may happen.

I was sitting at home playing video games (I'm 19), and I was drinking a big can of red bull. A little later, I felt hungry so I went and got some food, and an Arizona Iced tea. I drank the whole iced tea, which is absolutely full of sugar. After I finished eating, I felt tired and went upstairs and layed down. I was kind of dozing off, next thing you know, I wake up quickly and my hearts racing. I felt very lightheaded and my sight was dark, like I was going to faint.
I didn't panic, I know by know that theres nothing wrong with my heart, although it was a very uncomfortable feeling. So i went and got a drink of water. After I drank the water, I let out this huge belch which immediately slowed my heart. The fainting feeling went away shortly after.

So this could have been caused by a couple things.
1) Too much sugar (Red Bull and Iced Tea) could have raised my blood sugar way too high, so I had a diabetic-like reaction (which would explain why I got so tired all of the sudden.) And no. I'm not diabetic.

2) Gas in my chest and stomach could have built up, causing my heart to race, which could be why the belch helped.

If I HAD to guess at which caused it, I would say it's too much sugar. Taking in too much sugar will definitely cause you to crash and want to nap. It can also cause the faint feelings.

I don't actually know if that is what caused it, but thats my guess. It could be something that other people were talking about like low potassium, but I doubt it because it doesn't happen often.

Anyway, I don't know if those were the circumstances for anyone else, but I'm just trying to help in any way possible.

Last edited by Terps17; 08-30-2008 at 02:58 AM..
Terps17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:28 PM   #24
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: goodforyou
It could be apnea...

I was recently diagnosed with sleep apnea. It's not uncommon at all, and it's really important to get diagnosed, as it can lead to heart failure, strokes, etc. It is easy to treat once you can get used to breathing with a mask on while you sleep (I haven't gotten used to it yet). You will also start feeling like you have more energy, and the overeating we all do when we're tired improves too.

I don't nap because ever since I was a child I would wake up from naps completely startled, heart racing, not knowing where I was. I wonder if that was just a manifestation of early apnea? (When you have an apnea episode, your breathing ceases or is so shallow that your oxygen level goes down and then your body sends a jolt of adrenaline to "wake you up" and start breathing again. This can happen hundreds of times a night, and you don't even remember it. Breathing cessations have to last 10 seconds to be considered apnea, i think, but can last 2 or more minutes! ) I wonder if I will be able to nap in peace once I am comfortable with the CPAP (apnea treatment)?

Last edited by goodforyou; 11-25-2008 at 11:31 PM.. Reason: forgot a parenthesis
goodforyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:34 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: KlingonBabe
Stats: Miserable/Sane/FABULOUS
Only when I wake up too suddenly. I have never given it much thought, since it's happened to me since I was a child. I have always considered it normal.
KlingonBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:46 AM   #26
Zer
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Zer
Stats: 5'10"; 65; 508.7/_320.0_/199
WOE: Atkins: <5%Carb; J-UD/DD(<2798/560cals); 128ozH2O
Start Date: Got scale at 432.4(2/8/08); 376.8(2/8/09)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveKITH View Post
happens to me sometimes when I wake up suddenly. I think it just adrenaline.
I've had this happen as I sat still on a couch watching tv - and all of a sudden notice that my heart has slipped into overdrive, fluttering like a bird inside my inactive relaxed couch-potato body.

I think it must be adrenaline.

I just sat it out, wondering what in the world had triggered such a flutter. Nothing was stressing me. Just sitting, vegging.

I think that I'd work on breathing really s-l-o-w-l-y to calm things down, if it was a frequent occurrence. We have a lot of control, by breathing mindfully, on how our body functions. Do try taking long slow breaths, holding for a slow count and then releasing slowly. That just HAS to have an effect on heartbeat.
Zer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:52 PM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Kris T.
Stats: Was 140 now 106 currently
WOE: Over the sink!
Start Date: 2003
I agree that it's adrenaline.

Mine feels like tiny shaking all over my body. Hard to describe, but it's always the same as long as I can remember.
Kris T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 04:53 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bring it on
Hi Everyone,

I have woken up with my heart beating fast on and off. I Have had it in the middle of the night and naps as well. I would go to my Doctor which I did. Get a heart work up just in case. ( personally mine is anxiety) Cymbalta takes it away.

Most of the time it is anxiety. Also, don't get freaked out or worry about the heart conditions other people are posting. Everyone is different. People who have anxiety, when thinking about having a heart condition can make thier anxiety related heart condition more symptomatic.

Again, I would just go to my doctor and let him do a work up. Then if it is stress/anxiety related I would first work on dealing with the stress in my life(easy to say) via exercise or therapy. If that doesn,t help I would explore meds with my doctor.

I feel for you. It can be scary.

Best of luck.
Bring it on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 05:08 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bring it on
Zer,

It could be adrenaline. It could be your fight or flight response kicking in.

You should talk to your doctor about it. My sister is a Doctor working on a new therapy for trauma victims. She also has an expertise in anxiety/panic.

She tells me that your fight or flight response is like an alarm and it opens at different times and depending on what you do determines how long your alarm so to speak stays open.

When you are sitting on the couch you are relaxed and unguarded. Sometimes anxiety or fight or flight will unconsciously for whatever reason say we are vulnerable and you will get that surge of adrenaline. Cortisol.

You are doing the right thing by calming yourself down.

But please rule out a heart issue. If it is anxiety there are a lot of good things that you can do.

I have been through it all with anxiety and am managing it through relaxation visualization etc and also cymbalta.

Someone had posted my mother had it too. Stress and anxiety do have a strong genetic component.

Sorry if I am rambling on, but this is a subject close to my heart. No pun intended.

Last edited by Bring it on; 11-30-2008 at 05:09 AM..
Bring it on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 05:21 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Songwriter
Stats: 218/215/199 (male)
WOE: Protein Power
This happened to me just a few days ago and it scared hell out of me. This was waking up in the morning with this rapid heart beat, irregular beat, a feeling of out of control. I have heart disease and I had no clue what was going on but I didn't like it! My blood pressure was high and my heart rate was almost double. I closely monitored myself, getting ready to call 911. It went away after awhile, but wow, I was sitting by the phone.

It took me awhile to figure out what it could possibly be. Later that day, I finally remembered that I drank 3 cups of coffee with caffeine the night before and I purposely don't drink caffeine. I did that because I had to drive home late at night. Anyway, that was all that I could figure out I did differently. If it was caffeine, I feel like a bozo because I should know better!
Songwriter is offline   Reply With Quote