Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2004, 05:54 PM   #1
Speaks with Her Hips!

Gallery: Kayt
Stats: Workin' on it!
WOE: Moderation and Moving!
Start Date: Every Day
Suggested reading for Diabetics

As some of you may know, my dh and I started Atkins in order to get control of his Diabetes. In the 3 1/2 years that we have been Low Carbing I have come across some wonderful books.

Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution is a fabulous book on Low Carbing and Diabetes. This man has become a Dr due to his own Type I diabetes and has studied it in depth. You may find his book online at http://www.diabetes-normalsugars.com/

Another good book is the Type II Diabetic Diet Book. This can be purchased at Amazon.com

Hoping you all have Normal Sugars!!

Love, Kayt

Miles for Kyle. Walk a mile for my nephew Kyle. Diagnosed with osteosarcoma. We do the walking for him.
Complete knee replacement. Celebrated turning 17!!
Kayt is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2004, 01:33 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DeWinged_Pixie
Stats: 106 and Maintaining!!!!
WOE: Low carb/ gluten free Prescribed by Doc
Start Date: August 25, 2003
Hmm I wonder if this book would be good for hypoglycemics?

Pixie }!{
DeWinged_Pixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 11:35 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: carsonjane
Website for Information on Diabetes

If you are looking for a website for information on diabetes care that has everything from Diabetes Essentials to Diabetes News it can be found at: www.lifescan.com. This website is put out by the manufactures of One Touch Glucose Meters.

It has information for Diabetes I, Diabetes II, Recipes that the Chef Graham Kerr shows you how to make them diabetes friendly.

This week it has information about Diabetes Risk May Emerge in Girls at Early Age. It's worth checking out.
carsonjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 11:25 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dewdrop_mealine
Stats: 358/176
WOE: Richard K. Bernstein, Type 2
Dr. Bernstein

I read Dr. Bernstein's book and understood diabetes for the first time. I am insuling dependent. He is very much in favor of a low carbohydrate diet. He is also very clear in explaining diabetes in laymen's terms.

I am having a lot of 'other' health issues right now and some work issues as well. I finally found Diabetics Type 2bies and tried to catch up with everyone.

It's great that diabetics get a whole area of our own. It is different to have a serious health problem as opposed to trying to lose weight.

I'm not dissing those who are insulin resistant and working to avoid diabetes. You sure don't want to end up like me. I take my blood several times a day and take two shots. I have a friend who takes up to five shots of different kinds of insulin a day.

DeWinged, hypoglycemia is closely related to diabetes. My sis is hypo. She is LCing now. Her DH is diabetic and insulin dependent. I bought them the Dr. Bernstein's book. IMHO it is a must read for every diabetic.

I'll jump off the soap box. I feel like doo doo so I'll just go to bed.

I'll try to check in more often! I lose a week (or was it two) and we've moved. Go figure!

just the Dew

Buttercup @ 6 yrs
Books by: Richard K. Bernstein M.D.
Diabetes Solution
Diabetes Diet

Publishers: Little & Brown
Dr. Bernstein adventures
dewdrop_mealine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:56 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Bernstein on hypoglycemia . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWinged_Pixie View Post
Hmm I wonder if this book would be good for hypoglycemics?

Pixie }!{
I know this is a late reply . . . but yes, hypoglycemia is just a step toward T2 diabetes in the future. If you have to understand blood glucose, high - low - or perfect, Dr. Bernstein is your man.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:52 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Star73
Stats: 238/220/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: 10/01/2012
can someone tell me what your symptoms are of hypoglycemia? I've had a couple of spells lately and I'm wondering if my blood sugar may be low cause I'm doing extreme low carb. I have had low blood sugar in the past but nothing serious and with no effects. But a couple of times lately I will have a sensation of my arms feeling heavy and my heart pounding and even ringing in my ears and dizziness. It gets better after I drink something sweet like juice. I can still feel a little weak for a while afterwards though. I even can feel a little nauseated. I have no chest pain or shortness of breath like you would with a heart attack. I'm thinking I probably should up my carbs a little daily so my body doesn't get too shocked from it!
Star73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:17 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Get a blood glucose testing meter. Track your sugars, especially when you feel like that. You can get a 'free' meter almost anywhere these days. The difficult part is finding inexpensive test strips.

You do need to know how your blood sugars are running to know if they are wrong in either direction. High blood sugars can cause similar symptoms.

BOL
Old 03-15-2011, 09:16 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: PlainlyJane
Stats: 219/201/140
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 3/8/11
Hi all: My husband is T2, we have been on the Bernstein diet for about 8 days. His bs are much better although he has not been feeling well and last night had severe diarrhea. He woke up to BS of 144 and after a breakfast of 0 carbs it went up to 165. He is so discouraged. He has had Diabetes for about 21 years, and has recently recieved bad news from the eye doctor so we are commited. Any advice???
PlainlyJane is offline   Reply With Quote