Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2014, 03:19 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ChetRogers
Stats: 385/330/250ish
WOE: Just eating better.
Start Date: 07/26/12 -Restart-
Recumbent bike. Hurts my gluteus maximus.

I am very overweight, and have been going to my local gym. I like doing the weights , but I can't really use the recumbent bike over 10 min's. It hurts even after 5 min's. I know it will take some time to get used to it, but I was curious to know if anyone knows If there is such a thing as shorts that have cushion in them. I know they have the bicycle shorts that have a little cushion, but I'm a 300 pounder. Now im just walking and thats not a problem at all, but It would really be nice to stay at the gym. Other then finding a spot to walk at home. Thanks for any info.

I had a stroke a few years ago, so if I type something odd, its just from that, or it could be the vodka

-Smoke free since - 11/18/07

Last edited by ChetRogers; 09-15-2014 at 03:23 AM..
ChetRogers is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2014, 07:01 AM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sweetstuff68
Stats: 245/148/145
Can you just take a cushion and try it? Any cushion? Personally I would not think two things about a person putting a cushion on a seat and riding. May as well try, right? When your weight comes off then you can get a smaller cushion or not need one at all. You can also walk on the treadmills to help the weight come off. Good luck!
sweetstuff68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 03:49 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Joe CarboNot
Stats: 233/178/ Hit Goal
WOE: Atkins by way of Medifast
Start Date: Sept 2013
All right Chet. Allow me to tackle this one. Where exactly does it hurt. As you know any motion that is repetitive can cause BIG problems if the slightest
thing is out of whack. I probably average 75 minutes a day 7 days a week on my ancient recumbent Life Cycle. The Life Cycle is my preferred method of burning carbs and calories.
Since I don't know exactly where your pain comes from, here are some general ideas to start.
1. Make sure or have an instructor evaluate that you have the seat positioned at the correct distance for you. Many people sit too close and get knee pain.
2 Butt pain? A thick cushion that is too thick will throw off the correct angle you should sit at. No perfect answer but I sit on 2 fairly large towels folded the long way across the seat. Ie 4 layers of towel then.
3 Butt pain #2- I prefer a sort of cotton boxer shorts to the white shorts we wore as kids. The white ones tend to chafe more as I shift around on the seat.
4 When in doubt, it is always better to set the bike on a lower tension and ride a few more minutes. I strive for about 75-80 revolutions a minute at only a moderately light tension setting. This concept is the optimal way to
to log some serious time on the bike and burn calories
5. Does the bike have armrests? If it does, using them with your forearms can offset some of the downward force of your body and lessen that sensation of the butt grinding down into the bike seat. Very possibly a help!

The recumbent bike presents issues even for experienced riders like me ( my rides are easier to do early in the day- later in the afternoon my legs are not as fresh and it takes more "foot power" to get it done. Hence I gotta watch my feet.

If even ONE of these ideas help, I will be very happy.
Let us know how you are doing. You are on the right track- recumbent bikes work!!
Joe CarboNot
Joe CarboNot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 04:56 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: elrangel
Stats: 236/176/145
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 06/14
I take a spin class and my butt will hurt for days. They do sell a bike cushion at walmart, but honestly after doing it now It doesnt bother me.
elrangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:09 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: momofthree
Stats: 220/215.4/160
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: September 2014
I hear you on this. You do get used to it, but if you are looking for another low impact cardio option, try the elliptical. If you use the one that also has the arms that move, you can get a great work out in twenty minutes. I did the recumbent today-it still bothers my back and rear, but getting used to it. Back when I biked a lot at home, I actually bought a gel seat cushion. You might check on that based on what the recumbent bike actually looks like. Best of luck!
momofthree is offline   Reply With Quote