LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2014, 05:08 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susanw53
Stats: 238.9/195.2/155
WOE: Just sensible control
Start Date: Callanetics, 7/98, restart 5/2013
Callanetics Challenge, September, 2014

It's September already! The year rolls on and we continue to challenge and sculpt our bodies with consistent and thoughtful practice of Callanetics.

Looking for a No-impact approach to incredible fitness? Callanetics offers restoration of your muscular system, realignment of your bones and serious body sculpting, one tiny pulse at a time.

Take this opportunity to join this dedicated community of Callanetics enthusiasts for inspiration, motivation and further insight into this revolutionary concept of fitness. Appropriate and adaptable to any age, body size or shape and level of fitness, Callanetics will even calm your soul as it increases energy, flexibility, balance, strength and endurance. The perfect compliment to your busy life and excellent preparation for the trials and challenges life keeps throwing onto your path.

Two or more thoughtful and consistent sessions a week and your body will reward you every day. Bring your sense of humor with you and let us help you learn to appreciate the sweet addiction we call Callanetics.
susanw53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2014, 05:20 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
Good morning! Completed the 41 minute workout. I just registered for online workouts yesterday. The constant instruction is excellent and seems like enough variety to rotate with the original, evolution and also I rotate with the bar method (fat free or designer sculpting).
Spanilingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:59 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: iwsam
Hello everyone !
I havent done any callanetics since the 13th of july which is really sad because I feel I've lost all my gains of the last 3 months (
but I'm back and I plan to do at least 15 hours in September
happy pulsing to everyone
iwsam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:53 AM   #4
ISO
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ISO
I've always felt that September was a bit like January, in that it feels like a new year, a fresh start. I NEED a fresh start! My goal for September is 12 sessions.
ISO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:26 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ouida
Here to pulse in September!
Ouida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:38 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: fit4eva
Hello everyone! Happy September to us all

I did 10in 10 today. That takes me to 4/10 for my first 10 hour goal. I plan to do 12 to 16 sessions this month.

Total hours: 4/10

Is this common with Callanetics, but I feel like since I've been doing it (I've done more than the 4 sessions - that's just full sessions) it seems like internally I am tighter, but the fat surround certain sections of my body is being displaced. My rib cage and waist seem smaller, but it seems like the "love handle" are is chunkier - as if the fat or looseness is being pushed down. I have a similar situation going on with my legs. When I stand, I like firm, but when I sit down, my thigh fat seems to splay out. Does any of this make sense and is it normal? I'd like to correct whatever I'm doing if it's wrong.

@Bacon from the August thread,page 7
Wow! It sounds like a painful year! It's great to know that those are work outs that you can do when it seems like you can't work out. Another added benefit.

I can relate to you, as I like a mix, but circumstances and certain things have made me start rethinking how I exercise. So, hopefully one day I'll hit the nail on the head. I appreciate your input - especially because you seem to have so much experience.
fit4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:43 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Have any of you heard of or done Kondi Callanetics?

At the moment, it seems like the Callanetics Studio and Kondi are the only other high profile people doing Callas aside from the original company. When money is less tight, I hope to either subscribe to Kondi Callanetics or the Callanetics Studio. At the moment, I'm sticking to the dvds.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:47 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Minda
Stats: 149/149/125
WOE: ADF
New month, new start. Had hip surgery back in June (Bursectomy and glute tendon repair) and finally allowed to get back to exercising. Still have to be gentle so Callanetics it is! Need the slimming benefits anyway. I did Tae Bo Basics today so tomorrow will be Session 1 of 10/10. Aiming for 10 sessions this month.
Minda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:43 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Partyof7
Stats: 41 pounds down (with LC IF), 102 more to lose.
Start Date: March 16th 2014 reset:12/1/14
I'm signing up for 8 sessions this month.
Partyof7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:14 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MLadyK
Stats: 357/262/130
WOE: HFLC (High Fat Low Carb)
Start Date: August 1, 2012

Okay, I'm an idiot! I love this program! YES, I HATE DOING THEM (The pain, the burn) but I LOVE the results! And I need results!!!

2/1st 10 for September. (I did a set last night after midnight)

Doing 10 years in 10 hours Callanetics DVD

Does anyone else feel the pull, intensely for me, in your underarms?

I'm taking this as a good thing because I've got lots of fat under my arms so having this pulled and tightened can only be a good thing. But does anyone else get this feeling?

Here's how I do the lower back stretch. (Hope this description gives y'all the visual) I lay flat on my back with my arm out from my shoulders on the floor in an "I'm being robbed with a gun" position and my elbows firmly on the floor. Bring up one knee to my chest and then lean my knee over to the opposite side holding my calf and ankle parallel to the floor, then allow the foot to "droop" and gently 1/2 inch per pulse extend my foot toward the floor. 50 pulses. Both sides.

So?
Thanks,
~K

SusanW:

Don't know you. Never met you. Read your postings on this board. And looked at your progress pictures.

THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING YOU POST!!! You've inspired me!

~K
MLadyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:37 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

1/13, September

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwsam View Post
Hello everyone !
I havent done any callanetics since the 13th of july which is really sad because I feel I've lost all my gains of the last 3 months (
but I'm back and I plan to do at least 15 hours in September
happy pulsing to everyone
It is impossible for me to imagine anyone who dedicated as much time as you did losing advances. You may be a bit stiff when you start back iwsam, but before you know it you will be right back on track. Welcome back.

I'm committing to three times a week with the expectation that I will be able to slip in some small bits here and there. The group I work with got encouragement this month to focus on super sculpting with attention given to spot work. I tend more towards a complete workout myself, though it wasn't that long ago that I was a strict 10/10, straight traditional, why mess with success kind of girl, so maybe I'll play with some spot work this month. Last month we focused on alignment and I became obsessed with check points. Having my Callanetics space in the corner of the living room makes it easier to be spontaneous.

Yesterday I closed out August with a languorous session that included movements I had neglected during the month that I felt were important enough to fit in on the last day. I'm getting so much better at counter extending and releasing the tension before beginning the pulse. The sessions keep getting more magical.

One of the areas I'm still working to on is the combination of extreme extension and relaxation for the Hips and Behind. I'm almost to the point where I can make the leg feel like dead weight, but not quite there yet.

I just recently figured out how to get that dead-weight sense through the extended arms during the Underarm Tightener. For the longest time I was holding all kinds of tension in the hands and wrists as well. Now they float free and relaxed, with the muscle action firmly placed in the muscles of the upper arm. I keep twisting those arms over further. It demands relaxing the shoulder blades down the back and out to the sides. I've begun thinking of it as letting the scapulae gently melt towards the pelvis and widen to broaden the upper back. I think about this almost constantly. I'm discovering that just about anything can be improved by well-placed, relaxed scapulae.

Today I was so tempted by the month's new class routine that I took the time to give it a run through. This one is put together to flow from one movement to another, containing a lot of "medleys" with no separation between the individual parts. (The cost of professional oversight is one of my wisest expenses every month. I know it's not an option for everyone. Until recently it was out of reach for me. That's part of why I'm here, spreading the joy of Callanetics at every opportunity.)

So I finally got in those back-to-back sessions I had been trying for all through August. Jigglebuster I thought of you as I did today's session . It was more focused than I expected, having come off my session yesterday, and there are places in my body that definitely feel it, particularly deep upper glutes, quads, calves and upper arms. I found it quite satisfying, but I'm not certain that this body is ready for many more back-to-back sessions. I was able to keep up my pace, so there's that.

The best take-away for today was the idea that every movement comes down to the same approach of getting your check points in line (bringing your bones into alignment), extending and relaxing. It really is that simple. We want to try so hard, to feel we are doing something, when the reality of Callanetics is that if you are aligned, get the best extension you can without tension and then relax before you begin pulsing you will drive the pulse deeper.

So remember,

Check Points In Place. *Extend * Relax

Happy pulsing all.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:02 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bronwyn
Popping in to mark my place!
Bronwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:12 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ascole
Quote:
Originally Posted by fit4eva View Post
Hello everyone! Happy September to us all

I did 10in 10 today. That takes me to 4/10 for my first 10 hour goal. I plan to do 12 to 16 sessions this month.

Total hours: 4/10

Is this common with Callanetics, but I feel like since I've been doing it (I've done more than the 4 sessions - that's just full sessions) it seems like internally I am tighter, but the fat surround certain sections of my body is being displaced. My rib cage and waist seem smaller, but it seems like the "love handle" are is chunkier - as if the fat or looseness is being pushed down. I have a similar situation going on with my legs. When I stand, I like firm, but when I sit down, my thigh fat seems to splay out. Does any of this make sense and is it normal? I'd like to correct whatever I'm doing if it's wrong.

@Bacon from the August thread,page 7
Wow! It sounds like a painful year! It's great to know that those are work outs that you can do when it seems like you can't work out. Another added benefit.

I can relate to you, as I like a mix, but circumstances and certain things have made me start rethinking how I exercise. So, hopefully one day I'll hit the nail on the head. I appreciate your input - especially because you seem to have so much experience.
Hi Everyone! I have never posted a message here before, but have been reading posts for months. I just wanted to say that I also have seen a redistribution of weight since starting Callanetics. I was not sure if this was normal.... Was glad to see someone else mention it. Will this eventually resolve?? Thanks so much!
ascole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:36 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLadyK View Post

Okay, I'm an idiot! I love this program! YES, I HATE DOING THEM (The pain, the burn) but I LOVE the results! And I need results!!!

2/1st 10 for September. (I did a set last night after midnight)

Doing 10 years in 10 hours Callanetics DVD

Does anyone else feel the pull, intensely for me, in your underarms?

I'm taking this as a good thing because I've got lots of fat under my arms so having this pulled and tightened can only be a good thing. But does anyone else get this feeling?

Here's how I do the lower back stretch. (Hope this description gives y'all the visual) I lay flat on my back with my arm out from my shoulders on the floor in an "I'm being robbed with a gun" position and my elbows firmly on the floor. Bring up one knee to my chest and then lean my knee over to the opposite side holding my calf and ankle parallel to the floor, then allow the foot to "droop" and gently 1/2 inch per pulse extend my foot toward the floor. 50 pulses. Both sides.

So?
Thanks,
~K

SusanW:

Don't know you. Never met you. Read your postings on this board. And looked at your progress pictures.

THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING YOU POST!!! You've inspired me!

~K
Welcome MladyK. I think you're going to have lots of fun here. To answer your question about the underarms, I can share that my experience has been a steady, consistent shrinking of the fat ratio and dramatic increase in beautiful definition in my shoulders. Your technique will evolve. What makes the real difference is your consistency. Stay consistent and thoughtful and every morning you are one day closer to those sweet curves we all seek.

Your description of the Cross Over Torso Twist (we call this one the Paradise Stretch in class) sounds good. Might I suggest that as you lay on your back with the knees bent and feet flat on the floor you shift your hips ever-so-slightly to the side you are going to take over. Bring the knee to the chest as the other leg extends along the floor. Take a deep breath and as you exhale allow yourself to relax as the knee crosses over.

The shoulders stay melted to the floor. Let the rib cage melt down. Release all the tension through your midsection, buttocks and hips, and when you can't get the knee over any further while keeping the shoulders down and relaxed, turn your head to look the other way. This creates rotation through the spine in both directions and will actually allow you to release the leg over further.

Think of the midsection as long, open, free. Eventually the knee will get to the floor. Don't be concerned about that. Be concerned about relaxing every muscle in your body and relishing the beauty of this magnificent movement. Don't try to pulse. Resist the urge to strain the muscles to get closer to the floor. Just relax and breathe. Let go of the midsection. Relax the hips. Relax the buttocks. Breath. Relax.

Your knee should get to the floor first. This is important. The foot will follow.

I got a little carried away there. How I love these movements.

I'm glad you appreciate my efforts to help you learn to get the most out of your Callanetics sessions and keep the dreaded boredom at bay. Don't hesitate to ask for more clarification.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:10 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascole View Post
Hi Everyone! I have never posted a message here before, but have been reading posts for months. I just wanted to say that I also have seen a redistribution of weight since starting Callanetics. I was not sure if this was normal.... Was glad to see someone else mention it. Will this eventually resolve?? Thanks so much!
Welcome ascole. Callanetics is working from the inside out, gently retraining your muscles to hug your bones again. This will cause the fat sitting around those muscles to shift as the muscles move. It's all joined together by the magnificent fabric of the fascia. This shifting usually causes a bit of panic. I mean, you were working so hard to get a smaller waist and it was going so well.

So fit4eva, listen up as well.

This is one of those points where a student of Callanetics should get really excited. The shifting is proof positive that you are getting the results Callanetics promises. Your bones are gently shifting back to proper alignment and the muscles are pulling in to hug them in the way they were designed to do. You will feel this before it is outwardly noticeable. What you feel is really happening. Trust the process. One day you will wake up and notice the changes that were going on below the surface becoming more and more obvious to you and to others. Wait it out and prepare to be surprised.

It's not a race. It's body sculpting. Take your time and enjoy the pulsing. I assure you, the results will come in time.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:34 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MLadyK
Stats: 357/262/130
WOE: HFLC (High Fat Low Carb)
Start Date: August 1, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanw53 View Post
Welcome MladyK. I think you're going to have lots of fun here. To answer your question about the underarms, I can share that my experience has been a steady, consistent shrinking of the fat ratio and dramatic increase in beautiful definition in my shoulders. Your technique will evolve. What makes the real difference is your consistency. Stay consistent and thoughtful and every morning you are one day closer to those sweet curves we all seek.

Your description of the Cross Over Torso Twist (we call this one the Paradise Stretch in class) sounds good. Might I suggest that as you lay on your back with the knees bent and feet flat on the floor you shift your hips ever-so-slightly to the side you are going to take over. Bring the knee to the chest as the other leg extends along the floor. Take a deep breath and as you exhale allow yourself to relax as the knee crosses over.

The shoulders stay melted to the floor. Let the rib cage melt down. Release all the tension through your midsection, buttocks and hips, and when you can't get the knee over any further while keeping the shoulders down and relaxed, turn your head to look the other way. This creates rotation through the spine in both directions and will actually allow you to release the leg over further.

Think of the midsection as long, open, free. Eventually the knee will get to the floor. Don't be concerned about that. Be concerned about relaxing every muscle in your body and relishing the beauty of this magnificent movement. Don't try to pulse. Resist the urge to strain the muscles to get closer to the floor. Just relax and breathe. Let go of the midsection. Relax the hips. Relax the buttocks. Breath. Relax.

Your knee should get to the floor first. This is important. The foot will follow.

I got a little carried away there. How I love these movements.

I'm glad you appreciate my efforts to help you learn to get the most out of your Callanetics sessions and keep the dreaded boredom at bay. Don't hesitate to ask for more clarification.
Susan,

Thank you for the suggestion about turning the head in the opposite direction. I wasn't doing that. I"ll try it tomorrow night.

It isn't the shoulder area where I feel this tremendous pull but my underarm area alongside my rib cage. The area under my arms in line with my breasts. The REALLY fat area I carry there which continues around across my back (shoulder blades). It just surprised me when I was doing the "paradise stretch" to feel it up under my arms around my rib cage.

~K
MLadyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:54 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: callangirl
Stats: 255/140/135
Start Date: July 3, 2012
Welcome Newbies!!

I'm in for 12 sessions with a bit of weights and rebounding...
callangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:56 AM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Cucui
Stats: 274/244/150
WOE: Moderate Carb Vegetarian
I'm back for 10 sessions. I didn't make it last month (ran out of steam) but I shall try, try again.
Cucui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 05:23 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLadyK View Post
Susan,

Thank you for the suggestion about turning the head in the opposite direction. I wasn't doing that. I"ll try it tomorrow night.

It isn't the shoulder area where I feel this tremendous pull but my underarm area alongside my rib cage. The area under my arms in line with my breasts. The REALLY fat area I carry there which continues around across my back (shoulder blades). It just surprised me when I was doing the "paradise stretch" to feel it up under my arms around my rib cage.

~K
In the original book Callan mentions that this will feel like a big X across your body, so you're definitely doing it right. There's actually an Anatomy Trains spiral line that connects your foot up through the spine, slipping to the opposite side of your body at the base of the skull and ending with attachments to the crest of the pelvis on that opposite side. We are wonderously made.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:24 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by callangirl View Post
Welcome Newbies!!

I'm in for 12 sessions with a bit of weights and rebounding...
Thanks for the reminder. Life got so busy I haven't taken the opportunity to rebound yet.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:01 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanilingo View Post
Good morning! Completed the 41 minute workout. I just registered for online workouts yesterday. The constant instruction is excellent and seems like enough variety to rotate with the original, evolution and also I rotate with the bar method (fat free or designer sculpting).
I'm thrilled for you. I am constantly challenged and inspired by their guidance. Maybe we'll meet up there.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:02 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pforrester
Stats: 156/125.5/125
WOE: LCHF + JUDDD
Start Date: Atkins 2/1/11 - JUDDD 8/9/14
I'm in for at least 8 sessions. I would like to do more but if I am sore from the last session I wait for my muscles to heal. But that may stop after I get stronger...or does it? 5/10 so far last month.
pforrester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:04 AM   #23
Junior LCF Member

@AScole

Glad to know that I'm not the only one.

@Susan
Thank you so much for your in depth answers! It's incredible helpful.

Where have you gained all of your knowledge? Is it just from doing Callanetics properly, or have you learned from books and the Callanetics studio? Thanks again.

@ Monthly workout.
I'm going to do some Yoga later, but I've been toying with the idea of doing 5 hours of Calla a week. I've been consistent with 3 sessions a week - but my goal was 4. I'm toying with either 3 normal Callanetics sessions and one SuperCallanetics, or 5 sessions back to back, alternating with Evolution and 10 in 10. So far, the only thing stopping me is I can feel that I've worked by hips a day afterward.So, I don't want to overwork the muscles. Hmmmm, decisions, decisions.

Anyone have any experience with SuperCallanetics?

Thanks.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:58 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pforrester View Post
I'm in for at least 8 sessions. I would like to do more but if I am sore from the last session I wait for my muscles to heal. But that may stop after I get stronger...or does it? 5/10 so far last month.
Eight sessions is the standard for the basic approach. Anything more than that is icing on the cake.

Soreness the next day is an indication of straining the muscles when you are working. It's a common experience to try too hard with Callanetics, when the preferred approach is to get into position, counter extend as far as you can and relax, relax, relax. You will feel it deep, but not in the way that you feel the superficial muscles with other programs. Don't sweat it. You'll get there. I prefer a day off in between, so I'm pretty regular at three a week.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:26 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fit4eva View Post
@AScole

Glad to know that I'm not the only one.

@Susan
Thank you so much for your in depth answers! It's incredible helpful.

Where have you gained all of your knowledge? Is it just from doing Callanetics properly, or have you learned from books and the Callanetics studio? Thanks again.

@ Monthly workout.
I'm going to do some Yoga later, but I've been toying with the idea of doing 5 hours of Calla a week. I've been consistent with 3 sessions a week - but my goal was 4. I'm toying with either 3 normal Callanetics sessions and one SuperCallanetics, or 5 sessions back to back, alternating with Evolution and 10 in 10. So far, the only thing stopping me is I can feel that I've worked by hips a day afterward.So, I don't want to overwork the muscles. Hmmmm, decisions, decisions.

Anyone have any experience with SuperCallanetics?

Thanks.
To be honest, I would recommend you stick with three a week for a while longer. Your enthusiasm is commendable, but it's easy to burn out if you advance too quickly.

I am a thoughtful student with an on line studio. It's a new world out there. I have a natural affinity for finding the subtleties of these delightful movements and explaining them to others. It's my passion. I taught myself from the book back in 1988 and have taught the series to many others over the decades. I study hard. I'm blessed to have expert Aussie guidance on my journey which has made all the difference.

Jigglebuster is our resident authority on Super Callanetics.

Last edited by susanw53; 09-02-2014 at 09:31 AM.. Reason: Additional comment and clarification
Old 09-02-2014, 12:50 PM   #26
Junior LCF Member

@Susan

Thanks for the info. Have you seen that the original Callanetics company has made it possible to become an instructor by studying via correspondence at home? You might be interested in it.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:11 PM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Cucui
Stats: 274/244/150
WOE: Moderate Carb Vegetarian
@fit4eva

I know you weren't talking to me butI thought about becoming an instructor when I first started Callanetics. I got such good results I wanted to show everyone. I'd probably be better with helping the company with marketing though.
Cucui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:51 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pforrester
Stats: 156/125.5/125
WOE: LCHF + JUDDD
Start Date: Atkins 2/1/11 - JUDDD 8/9/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanw53 View Post
Originally Posted by callangirl View Post
Welcome Newbies!!

Callangirl: I'm in for 12 sessions with a bit of weights and rebounding...

Susan: Thanks for the reminder. Life got so busy I haven't taken the opportunity to rebound yet.
What is rebounding?

Last edited by pforrester; 09-02-2014 at 04:52 PM..
pforrester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:00 PM   #29
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Minda
Stats: 149/149/125
WOE: ADF
Completed the A.M. Workout today. I had to improvise on the leg exercises where the leg is bent in front of me on the left side and I'm working the right hip. My scar is still very sensitive on that left side and I still can't put a lot of pressure on that side and I couldn't do the legs extended version. I had to get on all fours and lift the bent leg that way on each side instead. Tomorrow is TaeBo again.
Minda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:31 AM   #30
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bittypunk
Stats: 198/190/100
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: October 2014
Count me in for 20 this month. Happy pulsing everyone.
bittypunk is offline   Reply With Quote