LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2014, 06:56 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pforrester
Stats: 156/125.5/125
WOE: LCHF + JUDDD
Start Date: Atkins 2/1/11 - JUDDD 8/9/14
Once a week strength training

I am 63 yo. I have been LCHF since 2/11. I still have belly fat and 5-10 lbs I would like to lose. So after maintaining for two years with no further loss i bought the new book Calorie Myth. The eating plan was more liberal carb-wise but I was most intrigued by his exercise plan/strength training.Plus, I began to gain a few pounds. So back to LCHF.

The EXERCISE

NO Cardio allowed. Low impact exercises the rest of the week ONLY if you enjoy them, like walking, yoga, stretching. NO Running and NO other weight lifting the rest of the week.

At first, you may do 2 min. of VERY HIIT on a stationary bike ONE DAY a week 2-3 days after weight training, until it begins to interfere with your ability to do the strength training. But I think this is mainly to get your ketones going. I don't have a bike so I can't do this part and I am keto adapted anyway.

If you have a gym membership he has instructions for using the machines. I don't. So, I use the body weight instructions and I bought a $35 - 40lb barbell set from Walmart and a $15 pull up bar from Amazon.

Strength Training

The weight exercises take 10 minutes!! I can do this. I will do this. That is why I invested in the equipment.

You do four exercises. 6 reps that take 10 seconds each rep
Squat
Push up
Pull up
Shoulder press (with weight) I started with a gal. milk bottle filled with water.

But for all of these, it is not the Lifting but the slow lowering your take 10 seconds to do, that is the only focus. No ab exercises b/c these all work your core.
pforrester is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2014, 07:40 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lilypond
WOE: Celiac
Hi, why do they suggest that you only work out once a week - and you can use other things besides an exercise bike i am assuming - me i did bicycles on my back - they are fun if nothing else trying to go fast.
lilypond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:43 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypond View Post
Hi, why do they suggest that you only work out once a week - and you can use other things besides an exercise bike i am assuming - me i did bicycles on my back - they are fun if nothing else trying to go fast.
Because these exercises should get you to exhaustion in 6, 10 sec reps. And they do for me. Doing slow lowering eccentric exercises is supposed to use 2B muscles that take 6 days to recover. So you want them to recover and get stronger.

The very HIIT bicycle is supposed to have so much resistance you have to stand up to pedal and only for 30 sec with 2 min. rest between 4 reps.

Bycicles on your back are fun b/c there is very little resistance. These exercises are HARD and NOT Fun! But they are so short I find myself excited about the next time I can do them.

I read the book Calorie Myth by Jonathan Bailor. I bought the book and resold it on Amazon. Or check if your library has it. He also has an online site at The Bailor Group with a free program. Not sure if you can figure out the exercises from the website alone without reading the book.

Last edited by pforrester; 08-10-2014 at 09:45 AM..
Old 08-10-2014, 03:08 PM   #4
GME
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/199/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/LC/Gluten Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I do HIIT on my stationary bike without a lot of resistance. I peddle so hard and fast I feel like I am going to hurl at about 50 seconds, so I think its working.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 03:34 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
I do HIIT on my stationary bike without a lot of resistance. I peddle so hard and fast I feel like I am going to hurl at about 50 seconds, so I think its working.
lol That would be me too - I tried with upside bicycles - and I think they would work, though I did more of a kick and bicycle - but I do laugh after. Every little bit helps I figure
Old 08-10-2014, 03:38 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

I did write a nice long reply - and my net died and my answer with it. oh well lol. Not sure if ketones is the objective of hitt. could be. I am starting my weight lifting routine after years of being away from it - I have always lifted slowly and tried to keep my form as perfect as possible - so my weights are low now and I don't think waiting a week would be necessary - my body falls apart to easy to risk higher til it can handle it.

You know if you want to lose the belly, join us over on callanetics august - that helps pull the stomach in amazingly. I keep trying to remember to do my vacuums as well but they slip the mind.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:44 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

I will check it out Lilly
Old 08-11-2014, 04:20 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Callenetics is interesting but I don't think I would stick to it and do it 2 hours a week or more? according to the 12 a month challenges. But it does seem to be along the same lines of strengthening deep muscles. I ordered the book from the library before investing in a DVD

Last edited by pforrester; 08-11-2014 at 04:22 PM..
Old 08-11-2014, 04:48 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pforrester View Post
Callenetics is interesting but I don't think I would stick to it and do it 2 hours a week or more? according to the 12 a month challenges. But it does seem to be along the same lines of strengthening deep muscles. I ordered the book from the library before investing in a DVD
I add weight lifting to the moves and do about 20 minutes a day. Callanetics on its own is very meditative. I was thinking for you just do the warmups and the abdominals. I can do a ton of crunches and get nowhere - not the same for callanetics.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:13 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Lillypond: I got the Callanetic DVD

Yesterday I started Callanetics. As recommended by lilypond above. At first I was only going to order the book after checking it out online. But I decided to get the DVD and resell it on Amazon if I didn't like it or wouldn't do it. That is still an option. I did the first hour yesterday and it is very gentle yet strengthing. So I will try to do the one hour 2X a week......I do happen to have the time so I might actually do it. It seems more like stretching than strength training b/c it is pretty gentle, and yet I know my muscles are working not just stretching.....
Old 08-14-2014, 06:37 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Yesterday I started Callanetics. As recommended by lilypond above. At first I was only going to order the book after checking it out online. But I decided to get the DVD and resell it on Amazon if I didn't like it or wouldn't do it. That is still an option. I did the first hour yesterday and it is very gentle yet strengthing. So I will try to do the one hour 2X a week......I do happen to have the time so I might actually do it. It seems more like stretching than strength training b/c it is pretty gentle, and yet I know my muscles are working not just stretching.....

I am so glad you are starting it - it is not the most exciting but is excellent and deceptive. I like how very soothing it is - yet works. I have combined it with weights because I need something more upbeat now and need more upper body strength but Callanetics is perfect for thighs butt and abs - those I need lengthened not strength.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:12 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypond View Post
I have combined it with weights because I need something more upbeat now and need more upper body strength but Callanetics is perfect for thighs butt and abs - those I need lengthened not strength.
Perfect! Because the Eccentric Ex I am doing are mostly upper body except for the squats. So, far my body weight is plenty for me except the shoulder press which I did buy some weights for.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:35 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 312/310/ a lot less
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: restart again 10/27/2014
I just read a short article " Can exercising for 60 sec. a week transform your health " I was going to post the link but there may be an add on that page and i have been moderated about doing that before .... Well in the tail end of the article it made a note that a short HIT session of 5 min. warm up and then 2 all out 20 second sprints usualy leads to you eating a couple of hundred less calories that day. But often 30 min. to an hour of cardio make you eat more that day than if you didn't exercise at all. I know everyone doesn't respond like this but quite a few people do so this may tie into the reason the exercise plan you mentioned at the start of this thread subjest not to do the cardio. Now I would like to see a study to see if it was best to do the short HIT sessions just twice a week or more often like 5 days or more.
E.W. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:44 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Begin JUDDD ...135.5 --8/9/14

Month 1: 130.5 Lost 5 lbs in 4 weeks Eccentric Exercises and began Callanetics

Month 2: 127 Lost 3 lbs in 4 weeks Eccentric Exercises and Callanetics

Week 9: 126.5

Week 10
Day 64: 126.5 UD (1409)
Day 65: 125.5 DD (410) Potato Hack day
Day 66: 124.5 UD (1314)
Day 67: 124.5 DD
Day 68: 124 UD

The exercises have been great for strength training but I have no idea how much they contributed to my successful weight loss. But I am sure JUDDD + strength training, as opposed to other WOE (except HFLC) was magic for me. BTW I have not done Callanetics for a week or two......

Last edited by pforrester; 10-15-2014 at 07:46 AM..
Old 10-15-2014, 10:09 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susanw53
Stats: 238.9/195.2/155
WOE: Just sensible control
Start Date: Callanetics, 7/98, restart 5/2013
Quote:

Week 10
Day 67: 124.5 DD
Day 68: 124 UD

The exercises have been great for strength training but I have no idea how much they contributed to my successful weight loss. But I am sure JUDDD + strength training, as opposed to other WOE (except HFLC) was magic for me. BTW I have not done Callanetics for a week or two......
Look at you... Down 10 of those 15 pounds that were challenging you.

It's easy to slip away from Callanetics if you don't stay consistent. Shoot, it's easy to slip away if you are consistent and life gets in the way. That's why I joined the challenge thread. It's kept me more consistent than at any other point in my life. I'm coming up on 18 months of 2-3 sessions a week, consistent, and my body is doing things with Callanetics that I never felt before. You should give them another try. It's absolutely amazing how strongly your body responds to them after a break. Almost magical.

These eccentric exercises are intriguing. Since researching after you mentioned them I find myself adapting some of my Callanetics movements to reflect the basics of eccentric exercises, only without the weight added. It's added a new tone to the pulsing. Thank you for that pforrester.
susanw53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:23 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanw53 View Post
Look at you... Down 10 of those 15 pounds that were challenging you.

It's easy to slip away from Callanetics if you don't stay consistent. Shoot, it's easy to slip away if you are consistent and life gets in the way. That's why I joined the challenge thread. It's kept me more consistent than at any other point in my life. I'm coming up on 18 months of 2-3 sessions a week, consistent, and my body is doing things with Callanetics that I never felt before. You should give them another try. It's absolutely amazing how strongly your body responds to them after a break. Almost magical.

These eccentric exercises are intriguing. Since researching after you mentioned them I find myself adapting some of my Callanetics movements to reflect the basics of eccentric exercises, only without the weight added. It's added a new tone to the pulsing. Thank you for that pforrester.
Thanks Susan. I was thinking about exploring yoga which sounds a bit similar to some of the callanetics. But it would be simpler to just stick to the callanetics...
Old 10-16-2014, 07:25 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Week 10
Day 67: 124.5 DD (1041)
Day 68: 124 UD (1751)
Day 69: 125.5 DD

Blood Glucose upon arising: 62
Blood Pressure: 102/72
Pulse: 74

Last edited by pforrester; 10-16-2014 at 07:32 AM..