LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2014, 06:51 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susanw53
Stats: 238.9/195.2/155
WOE: Just sensible control
Start Date: Callanetics, 7/98, restart 5/2013
Callanetics Challenge, August 2014

Callanetics is a no-impact approach to fitness that combines extreme mindfulness with exact positioning, using the tiniest controlled pulsing actions and thoughtful stretching to coax your muscles back into health and harmony with your skeletal system. By committing yourself to at least two to four sessions a week you can set yourself on a path of continually becoming thinner and stronger every single day. Callanetics is particularly beneficial for those struggling with back or joint discomfort. Many practitioners share the joy of banishing pain from their bodies and feeling youthful and rejuvenated.

Callanetics is appropriate for any size, shape or level of physical fitness. There is virtually no chance of damaging yourself. The goal of a successful student is to reach the point of being able to work "relaxed and effortless". We jokingly refer to it as a "no sweat program". The honest student knows that, given the right temperature and humidity levels there WILL be some sweat, but the gentle nature of Callanetics makes one set that aside as you lose yourself in the beauty of pulsing.

Callanetics is addictive. We warned you. This community of faithful practitioners is dedicated to sharing the joy of Callanetics with the world. We are here to inspire, educate and motivate. Many of us have flirted with the program over the course of our lives and find ourselves always returning to what we believe is the most effective fitness approach one can discover.

Won't you join us in discovering the inner you? Your body deserves this.

Let's get started.
susanw53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2014, 07:03 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

One half of ?

I'm trying something different this month. Our class is using a new routine that's an update of AM/PM and I've just finished the Sunrise version of it. Tonight I'll finish the day with Sunset. I haven't decided how to incorporate it into the plan yet. I'm playing around with doing them every day or possibly only on the days I don't do a regular session. As thoroughly as the combined routines target the entire musculature there are other movements I still want to include. What I might end up doing is simply adding those other movements into the Sunrise or Sunset versions.

I have only seen the AM/PM routine once and I took no notes, so I'm not certain how these stack up against it. If someone out there has the DVD, could I impose upon you to post a list of the movements and the required pulses so I could compare them?

I'll post again tonight after doing my Sunset session. I must say that this morning, doing the Sunrise part with the sun rising behind me over the hills of our luscious river valley, reflected in the mirror before me, was almost magical. I could definitely get used to this.

Later. Happy pulsing.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:31 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jigglebuster
Stats: 168..153(2013)/155/Healthy 5'7.5" wrist: 6.25"
WOE: Seasonal - Organic and nothing packaged
Start Date: Callanetics : Aug 18 '09 then again: Mar 15 '13
Okay, "Sunrise" explains why you were here so early this morning Susan.
Thanks for starting this month's challenge!

I am learning about my own challenges with time constraint, it seems. I was a bit edgy today, not feeling like doing my full routine, when I realised, it wasn't the exercises I didn't want to do, but the time constraint (I went to bed later than usual, and so woke an hour later too). Once I realised this, and decide it would be okay for me to be late for work (Haha!), I was able to relax and be present with what I was doing and enjoy it.

I've been doing my two on, one or two days off routine consistently for a month now and I can honestly say, it shows. It shows in strength, flexibility, alignment, and understanding. Needless to say, I will continue this this month too.

Oh! And I just saw one of the moves I adapted from weightlifting to Callanetics being demonstrated on a FB page, so I think I'm on to something with my understanding of "Find the point of contraction, relax, then pulse."

Happy Pulsing!!!
Thighs: L:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
........R:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
Above Knee: 21.5(2009)...16.25"(Mar2013)/15.25"/15.25
(M)Calves L: 17.5(J2010)...15"(Mar2013)/14.25"/ 14.0
.........R: 17(J2010)...14.6"(Mar2013)/14.0"/14.0
Starting all over with 198 hours (1/? this month) of Callanetics, and playing outside!
Jigglebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:04 AM   #4
ISO
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ISO
I'm here! Thanks Susan

2 / 12 last month

1 / 12 done for August - it can only get better

Keepin' it simple and DOING it

Linda

Last edited by ISO; 08-01-2014 at 11:05 AM..
ISO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:53 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigglebuster View Post
Okay, "Sunrise" explains why you were here so early this morning Susan.
Thanks for starting this month's challenge!

I am learning about my own challenges with time constraint, it seems. I was a bit edgy today, not feeling like doing my full routine, when I realised, it wasn't the exercises I didn't want to do, but the time constraint (I went to bed later than usual, and so woke an hour later too). Once I realised this, and decide it would be okay for me to be late for work (Haha!), I was able to relax and be present with what I was doing and enjoy it.

I've been doing my two on, one or two days off routine consistently for a month now and I can honestly say, it shows. It shows in strength, flexibility, alignment, and understanding. Needless to say, I will continue this this month too.

Oh! And I just saw one of the moves I adapted from weightlifting to Callanetics being demonstrated on a FB page, so I think I'm on to something with my understanding of "Find the point of contraction, relax, then pulse."

Happy Pulsing!!!
I know what you mean about the strength and understanding with that schedule. I could feel a definite difference after the two days earlier this week and that continued into yesterday. I think I'll keep going with that beginning tomorrow and continue with this new Sunrise/Sunset routine on off days. I'm discovering the need for daily movement as I get older. Things get stiff around that second day off.

So many choices.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:54 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISO View Post
I'm here! Thanks Susan

2 / 12 last month

1 / 12 done for August - it can only get better

Keepin' it simple and DOING it

Linda
Good to see you Linda.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:05 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: callangirl
Stats: 255/140/135
Start Date: July 3, 2012
Thanks again for starting the thread, Susanw.

I'm in, going for 12 this month. I won't post my measurements for August, I'll wait until September.

Good-Luck Everyone!
callangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:13 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bronwyn
I'm here, too! My goal is to do at least one 20 minute Quick Callanetics every day. When I feel more confident, I will increase the time per session but perhaps not every day.

With that being said, I did stomach exercises today!
Bronwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 05:44 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronwyn View Post
I'm here, too! My goal is to do at least one 20 minute Quick Callanetics every day. When I feel more confident, I will increase the time per session but perhaps not every day.

With that being said, I did stomach exercises today!
Well done Bronwyn.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:02 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

1 1/2 of ?

Just finished my second Sunrise session. Whew! They packed a lot of movement into a brief 30 minutes. Last night's Sunset session didn't get done until 9:30 and it left me feeling wonderfully relaxed and ready for a good night's sleep. I can now understand the popularity of the AM/PM program. This had me energized for the day and then keyed me down beautifully in the evening. There's a nice balance in the structure so that all areas get attention and challenge. There are a couple proprietary movements that got introduced that have me especially thankful for the professional training, but I imagine AM/PM is the same.

While working last night I developed a renewed awareness of the value of keeping the back of the pelvis melting to the floor as you pulse abs. The buttocks and hips should be completely tension free. It can be trickier than it sounds and the effect of getting it correct astounds me every time. My technique for abs work seems to improve dramatically about once a week these days. Just when I think I've figured something out my body surprises me by advancing it even further.

I'm thinking a week of doing the Sunrise/Sunset programs and then adding in two or three regular sessions, leaving out Sunrise/Sunset on those days. I can tell already I will miss them.

I am such a Callanaddict.

Happy pulsing all.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:59 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: fit4eva
Hi there!

I'm new to this forum and joined specifically because I was looking for a Callanetics community.

I tried Callanetics years ago and never stuck to it, only to try it again a few years later and see some results - but it was between other things...... and I battled heavily with boredom and it being too laid back.

I've come back to it now because of a knee injury and because circumstantially I need a body toning routine that can be done with extremely small space and little or no equipment. I've always wanted to see what would happen to a body if someone stuck to Callanetics and running; or yoga, Callanetics an running. So, I've decided to take the rest of the year and see what would happen.

My goal is to take each month for the rest of the year as it's own challenge. For August, my goal is to try and do 12-16 1 hour sessions. Depending on how I fair on the program (both physically and based on temperament), I might just do the exercises that I need and the Hip & Behind and make my own hybrid. However, one month at a time.

It's nice to meet you all and I look forward to learning from you all!

August goal: 1/12 or 16 done.
fit4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:42 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lilypond
WOE: Celiac
Hello - going to try for 12 but that am pm sounds wonderful - I am doing my warmups everyday and though I have got my weightlifting in much I think I am getting lol. Too much niggling stuff to do. Think I might have to break down and wake up earlier - which I usually do this summer but have been feeling too tired most days. I get iron and b shots next weeks so I hope that they help.
Lilypond
lilypond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:06 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: xCal
Stats: 260/203.8/160
WOE: PSMF, Low Carb
Start Date: January 2014
I'm going to try to do 12 for august as well! I just started callanetics this month and I'm eager to see how it turns out. Which video do you suggest for beginners?
xCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 12:18 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fit4eva View Post
Hi there!

I'm new to this forum and joined specifically because I was looking for a Callanetics community.

I tried Callanetics years ago and never stuck to it, only to try it again a few years later and see some results - but it was between other things...... and I battled heavily with boredom and it being too laid back.

I've come back to it now because of a knee injury and because circumstantially I need a body toning routine that can be done with extremely small space and little or no equipment. I've always wanted to see what would happen to a body if someone stuck to Callanetics and running; or yoga, Callanetics an running. So, I've decided to take the rest of the year and see what would happen.

My goal is to take each month for the rest of the year as it's own challenge. For August, my goal is to try and do 12-16 1 hour sessions. Depending on how I fair on the program (both physically and based on temperament), I might just do the exercises that I need and the Hip & Behind and make my own hybrid. However, one month at a time.

It's nice to meet you all and I look forward to learning from you all!

August goal: 1/12 or 16 done.
fit4eva. It's. Good to have you along for the ride. Good luck with your goals. I'd be interested in following what routines you work out for yourself.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:26 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCal View Post
I'm going to try to do 12 for august as well! I just started callanetics this month and I'm eager to see how it turns out. Which video do you suggest for beginners?
to the thread xCal. The original 10/10 video is the standard for all things Callanetics and the one I most often recommend. Once you have become familiar with the movements treat yourself to a copy of Callanetics Evolution. It presents the Callanetics Concepts in greater depth and the movements they included have become favorite additions to the personal routines of many a Callanaddict.

As a beginner be sure to be gentle with yourself. Do only what your body is capable of and laugh at your temporary limitations. You will quickly develop strength and control as you move through your journey. Feel free to ask any questions. Someone here will likely have the answer you seek.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:37 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

2 of ?

I got in both sessions yesterday bringing me up to a total of 2 for the month ( I consider the Sunrise/Sunset routines as 1/2 a session each) so far. I didn't get time for it until 10PM. That meant I was REALLY ready for sleep when I finished. Slept like a baby.

Today I decided to take as a free day. I'm going to stick with my regular schedule of 3 a week and then another three days using the Sunrise/Sunset routines with one day free a month.

Let's see how this goes.

lilypond, I hope the supplement shots help. Chronic fatigue is such a challenge.

Happy pulsing everyone.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:51 PM   #17
ISO
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ISO
Hi and welcome all!

Was going to wait till my session was done, but.......

I realized today that my thighs don't 'stick and drag' together......even when it's HOT!!!
and
While at the lake last week, I went on the tube behind the boat with the two, 6 year old grandsons. We were bouncing along, catching some good air - having a hoot. Then we played "lets tip the raft and dunk Grandma" 5 against 1.......lots of yelling / squealing / screaming etc. 20 minutes later I gave up and went in! It was pretty wild - I apologized to the neighbours later!

A few hours after I realized that my neck wasn't sore or stiff at all! Amazing!

I love the callanetics results (even with poor regularity) - just wish they showed up IMMEDIATELY

Linda (turned 62 in May!)
ISO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:55 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

If I get up 45 minutes earlier, I could do a 20 minute quick session; one right after work before dinner, and one before bed would still one hour session a day. What do you think?
Old 08-03-2014, 01:57 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

So happy for you, ISO! These little victories crop up out of nowhere, don't they?!
Old 08-03-2014, 03:02 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

1/12

fit4eva & xCal, glad that you've joined our Callanetics group...

Way to go Bronwyn!

Lilypond...

Linda your lake adventure sounds like so much fun... Congrats on your progress (unstuck thighs)!
Old 08-03-2014, 03:02 PM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: turbomom
Start Date: Callanetics July 2014
Hello all! I'd like to join for the month of August. Have logged 2 sessions this month and 16 sessions in July!
turbomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 03:07 PM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: turbomom
Start Date: Callanetics July 2014
Ok now that I know how to post, I can give more details LOL!

I am in my mid-forties with 2 boys who keep me active. I am not overweight, so not really looking to lose weight, but hey certainly wouldn't mind if 5 or 10 pounds took leave of my body

I have a big fancy family wedding at the end of this month and would sure like to look good in my form-fitting dress. I remember trying Callanetics 10/10 in my late teens by following the book, but life got in the way, and I went off to university...you know how it goes.

I am now using the 10/10 dvd, and have the Super Callanetics dvd, but will probably purchase the Evolution dvd next for when I am feeling stronger/braver. I am really working on proper form as I am never quite sure if I am doing things correctly???

I skimmed quite a few of the posts from the last few months so I am trying to get to "know" everyone little by little.

Looking forward to chatting with you all!
turbomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 03:14 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
If I get up 45 minutes earlier, I could do a 20 minute quick session; one right after work before dinner, and one before bed would still one hour session a day. What do you think?
I say, whatever is convenient for you. I get up early to get my session done in the morning because that fit within my schedule. In fact, when I get down to my goal weight, I plan on reverting to the 15 or 20 minute maintenance plan.
Old 08-03-2014, 03:23 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbomom View Post
Ok now that I know how to post, I can give more details LOL!

I am in my mid-forties with 2 boys who keep me active. I am not overweight, so not really looking to lose weight, but hey certainly wouldn't mind if 5 or 10 pounds took leave of my body

I have a big fancy family wedding at the end of this month and would sure like to look good in my form-fitting dress. I remember trying Callanetics 10/10 in my late teens by following the book, but life got in the way, and I went off to university...you know how it goes.

I am now using the 10/10 dvd, and have the Super Callanetics dvd, but will probably purchase the Evolution dvd next for when I am feeling stronger/braver. I am really working on proper form as I am never quite sure if I am doing things correctly???

I skimmed quite a few of the posts from the last few months so I am trying to get to "know" everyone little by little.

Looking forward to chatting with you all!
Welcome TurboMom! I'm glad you're joining us. I'm not a "super chatty" poster, but soon a few will come along and fill in where I'm lacking.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:10 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you, callangirl. I'd like to get the session behind me but not sure how stiff I will be. Hope to have enough dedication to give it a go in the morning.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:05 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
It's worth a try. It can be easier to find smaller chunks of time in a busy day. It also keeps you supple and tension free.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:59 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

to the thread turbomom. At 18 sessions in you should have a pretty good sense of the movements. I would say your chances of being an amazing vision at that wedding are quite good.

Your concerns about "doing it right" are fairly common. My advice is to familiarize yourself with your check points and counter extensions. When you are comfortable with the proper alignment of your check points, most of the questioning vanishes. When you have trained yourself to lengthen along the body's counter extensions, your muscles will be relaxed and lengthened, making them easier to change. Suddenly you're working "relaxed and effortless" and noticing the accelerated sculpting effect of consistent Callanetics practice.

I'm assuming you've already read Jigglebuster's lovely recent post on positioning to the point of contraction, taking time to release the tension and then pulse. I always think of it as "lengthen, position, relax, lengthen, relax, pulse." Two different views of the same idea.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. It's good to have you along. We're having a great time here.

Linda, see how Callanetics snuck right up on you and changed your life for the better? It's good at that. This story is the main reason I encourage women to stick with Callanetics. Someday you may be lucky enough to be someone's grandma. You want to be strong and healthy so you can play.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:47 PM   #28
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bittypunk
Stats: 198/190/100
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: October 2014
Hello everyone, I am so happy and relieved to have found y'all. Starting callanetics for the first time in my life. Have logged in 2 hours of cardio and evolution alternate as recommended by the callanetics website. I hope to put in 25 this month.

The thing I loved about it is no sweaty icky feel in my hair after w/o and yet have still got that slight ache from long forgotten muscles.
bittypunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:27 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jigglebuster
Stats: 168..153(2013)/155/Healthy 5'7.5" wrist: 6.25"
WOE: Seasonal - Organic and nothing packaged
Start Date: Callanetics : Aug 18 '09 then again: Mar 15 '13
fit4eva, xCal, turbomom, and bittypunk!

As susanw53 said, be gentle (emotionally and physically), listen to your body, not what you think it should be able to do, or want it to do. That might mean 5 pulses, instead of 100. Be okay with whatever it is, and trust that if there's room for improvement, improvement you shall have.

Callanetics has done so much for me on so many levels. You might see me posting about Super Callanetic moves, but not so long ago, I was the one bending her knees, because I couldn't straighten them; I was the one doing the side bends like Margaret, because I couldn't do the side bends sideways; I was the one who had to do less than half of the 100 pulses in many of the exercises; and I was the one who couldn't sit upright with my legs in front of me without the support of my hands. I lost inches, and gained strength and flexibility and feel like I have my body back.

And Bronwyn, I totally agree with callangirl. Maybe by doing what you're doing you'll actually find that one time in the day that works better for you, and then can just go with it?

Happy pulsing everyone!
Jigglebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:36 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

The day turned out to be busy enough that at one point I was beginning to get bummed about not being able to fit my scheduled session in when I remembered I had the option to break it up by doing my Sunrise/Sunset routines. That meant I was able to squeeze in Sunrise before dinner preparation and I know I can find time later for the Sunset section and my day will be complete. I love the flexibility of this set of routines.

I'm still hoping someone can share the list from AM/PM so I can compare these routines with Callan's take.

Tomorrow I'm going to do a complete session.

Happy pulsing all.