Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > The Exercise Board
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2014, 03:10 PM   #91
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jigglebuster
Stats: 168..153(2013)/155/Healthy 5'7.5" wrist: 6.25"
WOE: Organic and nothing packaged and 70% raw.
Start Date: Callanetics : Aug 18 '09 then again: Mar 15 '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilypond
I hope I can still do callanetics when I am 85 lol find it hard now lol
I always say, I'll be amazing at parkour by the time I'm 60, but 85... I think we all have very different bodies at that age, moreso than at any other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyof7

I'm here! Just been doing stretches when I find time. Love to you all. Just subbing for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouida View Post
Ahm, what's she doing when she's not on vacation? Working? If so, I need to hang out with her. She sounds like she is so very cute. Did her mat or towel or outfit match one another? I would be delighted if someone asked to join me to do Callanetics.

By the way Jigglebuster, I thought 'parkour' was some meditation thing where you sit cross legged with your eyes closed. I happened to look online...If my understanding is correct...That's some 'Ninja Turtle' type of stuff! Amazing.
Haha! She is working, actually -part-time hours. She has a lot of energy and is very social.

Honestly, I keep having to remind myself not to close my eyes when I do parkour. Ha ha! Keeping them open makes all the difference in the world. LOL!

Last edited by Jigglebuster; 08-12-2014 at 03:12 PM..
Jigglebuster is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2014, 03:24 PM   #92
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: callangirl
Stats: 255/144/135
Start Date: July 3, 2012
6/12

Welcome back Kati & Bacon!

Last edited by callangirl; 08-12-2014 at 03:25 PM..
callangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:07 PM   #93
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bacon
Stats: 185/151.6/145
WOE: Moderate carb, Paleo-ish
Thank you for the warm welcome back! Just finished 3 of 10 today with Evo. It's so nice and relaxing to do at the end of the day. Now I feel like I'm ready for bed!
Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:26 PM   #94
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Cucui
Stats: 274/244/150
WOE: Moderate Carb Vegetarian
I'm marking 3/10. I am thinking of trying an AM/PM workout. I just need to find where I put the DVD. Does anyone use a barre? I am thinking of making one.
Cucui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:29 PM   #95
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: susanw53
Stats: 238.9/195.2/155
WOE: Just sensible control
Start Date: Callanetics, 7/98, restart 5/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypond View Post
I hope I can still do callanetics when I am 85 lol find it hard now lol
By the time you are 85 you will be so strong they will be pure meditation.
susanw53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:31 PM   #96
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyof7 View Post
I'm here! Just been doing stretches when I find time. Love to you all. Just subbing for now.
Hang in there Kati. We're all pulling for you. Soon you'll be doing complete sessions again.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:39 PM   #97
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cucui View Post
I'm marking 3/10. I am thinking of trying an AM/PM workout. I just need to find where I put the DVD. Does anyone use a barre? I am thinking of making one.
Cucui, I tried making a barre last year with PVC pipe and was disappointed with the lack of stability. For a time I had one that slotted into brackets we mounted to the back of a door (I still have to repair the holes we left in the door and repaint) which worked pretty well, but the space wasn't good for Hips and Behind, one of the main reason for even putting a barre up. In the end I did what I'd dreamed of for 25 years. We purchased a floor-mounted barre and installed it in front of some inexpensive mirrors in a dedicated Callanetics corner of our living room. Best $150 I spent last year. I recommend floor mount over wall mount, regardless of your choice of barre material.

I know Callanetics can be done without any equipment, but the addition of that barre was a tremendous benefit. Good luck in your search.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:10 PM   #98
Senior LCF Member

5 1/2 of ?, August

How is it possible that for the second month in a row I have allowed life to get in the way of my Callanetics practice? This was the first time I made the opportunity to get a session in this week. It threw me a bit because when I initially discovered Callanetics in 1988 I was fairly consistent for just over a year and then life got to be a major distraction and I fell away the first time. From that point up until last year I was simply flirting with the program. I did NOT want that to happen again. The biggest difference now is my dedication to this community. I did not have anyone other than myself to answer to over the years, making it easy to be lax. Somehow I don't think you all would be silent if I simply vanished. Stopping here daily, if only to read the posts as I got life back under control, kept me involved and determined to once again set a regular schedule.

One of the benefits of missing a week is how incredibly focused you are when you finally get to the pulsing. During abs my deep muscles were quivering the entire time. Not shaking, just that deep quiver that let's you know your brain is clearly communicating with those deep muscle fibers. It was quite exciting. I just love the way I extend through the crown, counter extending through the sit bones as the upper body seems to float off the floor using only the abs to curl. Abs today were absolutely breathtaking. I included Sitting Pulses, Waving Abs, Rolling Down, Both Feet Flat, One Leg Up Rotational, Both Legs Up, and Open and Close. I made up for some lost time.

I've been working lately to get a better handle on wide-stance movements (Pelvic Wave, Pliés, and some wicked leg movements we've been working on in class). My ankles have strengthened enormously since last year and I thought I was doing pretty well, and then the class ramped it up and once again I feel like a beginner. This happens all the time with Callanetics; you're going along feeling good about it and then you learn to relax more and WOW! Like starting all over. I swear, I'm going to have the strongest legs around. Today I was playing with wide-stance at every opportunity and in multiple positions (free-standing, standing beside the barre, standing facing the barre), working to hit the muscle fibers from as many different directions as I could. It's this approach that keeps me from becoming bored or complacent.

I feel so much more normal when I get Callanetics into my day. I need to stop indulging my desire to comfort myself with foods and get back to controlling the calorie intake. Time to pull out my food diary app and get serious again. I lost 35 pounds last year just by being attentive. It's time to return to responsible choices again and continue that downward 1 pound a week trend. Thank goodness Callanetics has helped me maintain the weight loss as I regain emotional balance in my life.

Off to hunt and gather so we can have an evening meal.

Happy pulsing all.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:12 PM   #99
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigglebuster View Post
Honestly, I keep having to remind myself not to close my eyes when I do parkour. Ha ha! Keeping them open makes all the difference in the world. LOL!
Old 08-14-2014, 06:17 PM   #100
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lilypond
WOE: Celiac
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanw53 View Post
I don't think I have the nerve to try parkour lol - I think I am brave walking down the road lol ... guess I should look at things a little differently - should read up on it a little more, looks like a blast - I used to do the back flip, round off routine all over the place when I was younger
lilypond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 06:29 AM   #101
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypond View Post
I don't think I have the nerve to try parkour lol - I think I am brave walking down the road lol ... guess I should look at things a little differently - should read up on it a little more, looks like a blast - I used to do the back flip, round off routine all over the place when I was younger
Walking is a very dangerous activity. I've tried it many times, and I have to say, the with number of times I've injured myself...

Flipping isn't actually parkour, it's "free running". Parkour is more the efficient movements. But if you can flip, you know how to face your mental fears and would do fine in parkour.

All I can say, is without Callanetics, this body would not be able to do what it does, parkour or otherwise.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:37 PM   #102
Senior LCF Member

7/12
Old 08-16-2014, 01:17 AM   #103
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Cucui
Stats: 274/244/150
WOE: Moderate Carb Vegetarian
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanw53 View Post
Cucui, I tried making a barre last year with PVC pipe and was disappointed with the lack of stability. For a time I had one that slotted into brackets we mounted to the back of a door (I still have to repair the holes we left in the door and repaint) which worked pretty well, but the space wasn't good for Hips and Behind, one of the main reason for even putting a barre up. In the end I did what I'd dreamed of for 25 years. We purchased a floor-mounted barre and installed it in front of some inexpensive mirrors in a dedicated Callanetics corner of our living room. Best $150 I spent last year. I recommend floor mount over wall mount, regardless of your choice of barre material.

I know Callanetics can be done without any equipment, but the addition of that barre was a tremendous benefit. Good luck in your search.
This is exactly what I was thinking. I live in am apartment so I can't mount but I will check out some heavy duty ones. I looked at the PVC piping and it just looks to flimsy for my legs. I'm just going to find a sturdy standing one and call it a day. A chair just doesn't work as a challenge.
Cucui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 01:36 AM   #104
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bittypunk
Great explanations Susan and Jigglebuste, also thanks Aman for asking the question. The tucking the neck back worked a miracle and I was able to put in a whole 100 without stopping for breaks.

BTW, is it safe to do these twice in a day? I am not going to meet my target otherwise.
bittypunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 05:10 PM   #105
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bittypunk View Post
Great explanations Susan and Jigglebuste, also thanks Aman for asking the question. The tucking the neck back worked a miracle and I was able to put in a whole 100 without stopping for breaks.

BTW, is it safe to do these twice in a day? I am not going to meet my target otherwise.
I never recommend twice a day. The body really needs the down time to rejuvenate and internalize the deep changes you don't even realize are going on. The goal is not written in stone. We are humans with complicated lives that sometimes get in the way. Callanetics is the most forgiving approach I have ever found and the sessions you get in are appreciated by your body.
Old 08-16-2014, 05:15 PM   #106
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cucui View Post
This is exactly what I was thinking. I live in am apartment so I can't mount but I will check out some heavy duty ones. I looked at the PVC piping and it just looks to flimsy for my legs. I'm just going to find a sturdy standing one and call it a day. A chair just doesn't work as a challenge.
Can you use the kitchen sink? That's what I used for many years, and it's still what my daughter uses in her apartment. It is firmly mounted and may be a good height. I also live in an apartment and hesitated to ask if I could floor mount my barre. I just knew the landlord would say no and he surprised me by being very supportive of my program to get fit. You never know until you ask.
Old 08-16-2014, 05:22 PM   #107
Senior LCF Member

6 1/2 of ?, August

Today is our 33rd anniversary. We celebrated by sharing the day with Dale's family at a family reunion. That meant lots and lots of food I don't typically eat, so I made sure to schedule a Callanetics session for the morning. Being short on time with the reunion calling, I chose to do a shorter session and then added more movements into it because I wanted to feel my body move with them, so in the end it came out to just over an hour of intense, focused work.

The day was splendid. The reunion was in a fire hall on the block where Dale and I had raised our children for over 20 years, giving me the opportunity to visit old neighbors as well as meet family members I didn't even know existed.

All in all a wonderful day.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:16 PM   #108
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bacon
Stats: 185/151.6/145
WOE: Moderate carb, Paleo-ish
Finished 4 of 10 with Evo.

Excitingly, I tried on some old goal (super) skinny jeans I forgot about in a size 9-- they fit! I'm also fitting into some of my old jeans that I outgrew three years ago. Yay!
Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 11:05 PM   #109
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: aman
Logging my 2nd hour of 10 in 10..... yippee. ...
Thank u Turbomom, jigglebuster, susanw53
I tried to relax my neck, but I guess it's gonna take time before I actually learn to do that completely....
aman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:36 AM   #110
ISO
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ISO
Susan - happy belated Anniversary!

Bacon - Congrats on the skinny jeans!

Life's been busy - cleaning up the yard - we got some new grain bins = rocks, cement garbage and dry lumpy clay to move. Humidex was 40 C, which is HOT! I had to stop every hour, for half and hour to drink, rest and cool off.

Planning on 3 / 12 today.

Enjoy your Sunday.

Linda
ISO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 01:38 PM   #111
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pforrester
Stats: 156/135.5/125
WOE: LCHF + JUDDD
Start Date: Atkins 2/1/11 - JUDDD 8/9/14
Love-Hate Callanetics

Hi! i have just started and I love all the exercises except the ab ones. I CANNOT do 300 total bounces at all. I don't think I can even do 100. It kills my neck.

Should I do as many as I can, rest, repeat till she has done 100. Or just do as many as I can and wait till the next exercise.

Two more questions.

I am always sore. I don't really mind it b/c I know that means I actually did something. But, does that go away eventually?

Once you have achieved your goals do you just do it once a week?

Last edited by pforrester; 08-17-2014 at 01:41 PM..
pforrester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 02:26 PM   #112
ISO
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ISO
pforrester - hope it's just languaging thing, but NO,NO, NO "Bounce"...........little pulses only!!!

and to the group!

I'm sure more input is on it's way!

Linda
ISO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 04:54 PM   #113
Senior LCF Member

ISO- no worries I knew that. I couldn't even hold my head up without moving for 100 seconds let alone do all three or four of them.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:43 PM   #114
Senior LCF Member

pforrester!

Callanetics is all about being gentle with yourself, and in fact, the more gentle the more you'll advance, believe it or not.

So that being said, I would suggest cutting back and trying to do a quarter of each of the exercise's pulses, so try to do 25 of the ab exercises, and do this for the first 4 or 5 times, then work your way up. But don't try too hard, or you'll use your back and neck when you want your abs to be doing the work. If you're shaking, or feel your back working, it's too much. And BREATHE! your breath is important.

As for your head, really lift it up, like it's not attached and just plop it on up on your chest. When your relax you hips, that too will relax your jaw and neck muscles. Try it, you'll see.

Don't hesitate to ask any questions. One of us will pop up and answer them.
Thighs: L:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
........R:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
Above Knee: 21.5(2009)...16.25"(Mar2013)/15.25"/15.5
(M)Calves L: 17.5(J2010)...15"(Mar2013)/14.5"/ 14.0
.........R: 17(J2010)...14.6"(Mar2013)/14.25"/14.0
Starting all over with 185 hours (1/? this month) of Callanetics, and playing outside!

Last edited by Jigglebuster; 08-17-2014 at 07:44 PM..
Old 08-17-2014, 10:18 PM   #115
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Partyof7
Stats: 40 pounds down, 108 more to lose.
WOE: JUDD induc.UD 4/10/14 LC'ish, Calorie awareness
Start Date: March 16th 2014
Happy Anniversary Dale & Susan <3

I'm here still. Hit a bit of a stumbling block when I realized my scale was showing 20 more pounds loss than I actually had. So now I'm 311 and two-terville is still a goal. Ah, so is life.
Not been doing so well on my food or my callanetics. I have been doing waist stretches 10 at a time when I'm watching babes in bath tub or whenever I can find the time, and at night I try to do the 100 leg lift pulses when I am lying in bed next to the babes. It works cause the 9 month old will drink a bottle and I'll do one side, and then I'll go next to the 2 year old to put her to sleep and do them on the other side. haha

I should take my measurements for the month just to see if they've helped at all.
Just in a bit of a funk, and trying not to be.

Picked back up smoking after 3years of not. I know how to quit that, but part of me just doesn't want to. I'll try again tomorrow.
Just keep trying always..giving up just isn't an option.
Much love to you all
NSG#1: Log 40 hours of Callanetics by my bday
NSG#2: Fit into my wedding dress
NSG#3: Fit into my size 18 denim skirt
Be firmly in twoterville within 2 weeks.
Partyof7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:01 AM   #116
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigglebuster View Post
pforrester!

Callanetics is all about being gentle with yourself, and in fact, the more gentle the more you'll advance, believe it or not.

So that being said, I would suggest cutting back and trying to do a quarter of each of the exercise's pulses, so try to do 25 of the ab exercises, and do this for the first 4 or 5 times, then work your way up. But don't try too hard, or you'll use your back and neck when you want your abs to be doing the work. If you're shaking, or feel your back working, it's too much. And BREATHE! your breath is important.

As for your head, really lift it up, like it's not attached and just plop it on up on your chest. When your relax you hips, that too will relax your jaw and neck muscles. Try it, you'll see.

Don't hesitate to ask any questions. One of us will pop up and answer them.
OK Thanks. I will try that (25 pulses), breathe, and see if I can figure out how to relax my hips
Old 08-18-2014, 09:43 AM   #117
Senior LCF Member

Pointers on Abs; Easing the tension in the neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by pforrester View Post
OK Thanks. I will try that (25 pulses), breathe, and see if I can figure out how to relax my hips
to the thread pforrester. Your complaint about neck discomfort is a common one. In the beginning we're just struggling to get the hang of the movements. As we gain a bit of mastery there, we can begin to focus on improving technique. The beauty of Callanetics is that you will get results even though your technique is raw and unformed. Hang in there. We'll help you get it.

The initial discomfort in the neck springs from a couple sources. First off, you are new to the idea of counter extending, allowing your body to lengthen the spaces between the bones. Of particular importance here is the ability to lengthen the spine both through the crown of the head and through the tailbone. Almost like your body was one of those exploded technical diagrams. The better you become at counter extending the more your body begins to feel "light as a feather".

It's a subtle distinction between reaching or stretching for it and extending without tension. It's one of the things that sets Callanetics apart from other approaches. This conscious counter extending allows the pulses to target the muscle fibers that are closest to the bone and begin to pull everything in, working from inside out.

The second challenge is born of our tendency to try to use the muscles of the back and the jutting of the chin to pulse, when the entire action of abs movements is focused in the abdominal muscles and only the abdominal muscles.

There is also this strong tendency to bend the neck to move the nose closer to the chest instead of tilting the head on its pivot point at the atlas to point the nose in to the center. If you play for a moment with bending the neck versus tilting the head you will understand what I mean. Bending the neck creates heaps of unwanted tension through the spine, neck and back.

When you are pulsing the relaxed head and neck move only as a result of their being an extension of the spine, moving with the torso. Light as a feather. Floating in space and constantly extending gently "UP".

When you are curled up, before releasing your arms, take a deep breath and on the exhale relax the abdominal muscles to melt down towards the spine. You don't need to actively contract any muscles. In fact, the more relaxed you can get the abs the deeper the muscle fibers affected. I know this sounds improbable to you right now, but in no time you will be working "relaxed and effortless".

Take another deep breath and as you exhale let the neck relax to allow the head to gently rest so that the ears are in line with the shoulders. The chin will be tucked back a bit to gain greater length through the upper spine. Now release one arm and pause momentarily to let the scapulae relax down the back and out to the sides to broaden the upper back and lock your core into place. Now release the other arm, lengthen once more through the counter extensions and begin to pulse. The movement is so tiny that when you have learned to counter extend with mastery it is almost imperceptible.

Your neck is relaxed.....
Your head floats lightly in space.....
The scapulae are relaxed, down, out... Ribs relaxed.....
Breathe.....
Extend through the fingertips......
Relax the neck.....
Keep lengthening through the crown.....
Let both sides of the pelvis melt to the floor. Just melt..........
Abs relaxed and melting to the floor.....
Let the tailbone melt down as you extend through the crown.....
Breathe....relax.....breathe.....extend.....relax. ....

It's a continuous stream of encouraging, mental input. It never really stops.

Incidentally, the trick to relaxing the pelvis so it melts to the floor is a combination of seeing it clearly in your mind, expecting your body to find the way to do it and learning to really release tension. This is a learned art. In my experience it is a natural result of consistent and mindful practice of Callanetics, regardless of how "good" you are at it. Keep seeing it, keep relaxing towards those positions and your body won't be able to avoid becoming stronger and more healthfully aligned. In time it simply happens.

Take as many breathers as you require to stay in your best position. This is not a race or a competition. It is precise body sculpting and gentle realignment. If you can stay curled up with your hands clasping the thighs, elbows out and up while you take the breather, then do so. If you must relax to the floor than let it happen. Just be sure to thoughtfully get back into position before continuing on. Believe it or not, these movements will someday be some of your favorites. I still take breathers after each 50-75 pulses, switching back and forth between legs for One Leg Up. At times my body works on a deeper level and I'm forced to break after each 25. I always take that breather recovering flat on my back. I accept these limitations of stamina and focus on getting the positioning and technique as spot on as I can.

In the beginning it is perfectly acceptable to rest your head in your interlocked fingers with the elbows relaxed out to the sides (so you aren't folding them against your head) while pulsing abs. Just keep the work focused on the abs and release any other tension your body wants to create.

You can also use a small ball or cushion to help support the lower back, although you need to stay incredibly focused against resting back on the support. It's an abs movement, after all.

Sorry, I got a little carried away there. You'll get it. Ask if you need more clarification.

Happy pulsing.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:55 AM   #118
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyof7 View Post
Happy Anniversary Dale & Susan <3

I'm here still. Hit a bit of a stumbling block when I realized my scale was showing 20 more pounds loss than I actually had. So now I'm 311 and two-terville is still a goal. Ah, so is life.
Not been doing so well on my food or my callanetics. I have been doing waist stretches 10 at a time when I'm watching babes in bath tub or whenever I can find the time, and at night I try to do the 100 leg lift pulses when I am lying in bed next to the babes. It works cause the 9 month old will drink a bottle and I'll do one side, and then I'll go next to the 2 year old to put her to sleep and do them on the other side. haha

I should take my measurements for the month just to see if they've helped at all.
Just in a bit of a funk, and trying not to be.

Picked back up smoking after 3years of not. I know how to quit that, but part of me just doesn't want to. I'll try again tomorrow.
Just keep trying always..giving up just isn't an option.
Much love to you all
Every little bit helps Kati. Hang in there. It gets better. Every pulse you sneak in there benefits your body, whether you can see it or not. The muscles begin to sing again, the fascia wakes up and joins the chorus, the bones begin their gentle shifting. No movement is wasted, and every time you do Callanetics you keep that flame of desire burning. When your life let's you take the time and you allow that time to arrive there is no other approach that will bring you back to fitness and wellness faster and safer, with greater mental and spiritual benefit than Callanetics.

It will get better and two-terville is still,an achievable goal.

If you know how to stop smoking then do it. Now.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:55 AM   #119
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Susan. That was very helpful. I will reread this Wed. When I do them again.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:59 PM   #120
Senior LCF Member

8/12

Congratulations on celebrating your 33rd anniversary Susanw! It sounds as though you'd a blast at the family reunion.

Way to go Bacon! It feels wonderful to be able to fit back into clothes you couldn't wear, doesn't it?

Kati...

Welcome Pforrester! Delighted to have you here...