Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2014, 05:56 PM   #121
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jigglebuster
Stats: 168..153(2013)/155/Healthy 5'7.5" wrist: 6.25"
WOE: Seasonal - Organic and nothing packaged
Start Date: Callanetics : Aug 18 '09 then again: Mar 15 '13
Well, I finally have my internet hooked up, after my move for July 1st.

Since my move, I have located a lovely spot under a huge Jack pine to do my Callanetics under, and have completed 12 sessions so far. I have to say, every time I do it outside, I feel like I access something deeper. Maybe it's the smell of the pine, or the animals walking by, or the pauses filled with cloud watching, but all I can say, is it shows. It could be that I'm not using a bar for anything, so I'm totally relying on my balance including the plié stuff, ha ha!

Also, the other day, I ended up watching Super twice, right through in a row and heard her say a few things I hadn't quite *heard* before that helped with my alignment and really finding a physical and energetic focus. I'm really excited and feel as though my technique has improved dramatically!

Something became clear for me too about a week ago, it was the concept of all Callanetic moves, and that the physical aspect of the work is about positioning ourselves at the point of contraction, then remaining there and relaxing in this contraction point, letting go of the contraction where it would normally be. It's when we do this that we work the muscles at a very deep level, and as we become stronger the point of contraction changes and therefore the work gets deeper and deeper.

Callangirl, I hope you feel better soon!!!
Thighs: L:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
........R:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
Above Knee: 21.5(2009)...16.25"(Mar2013)/15.25"/15.25
(M)Calves L: 17.5(J2010)...15"(Mar2013)/14.25"/ 14.0
.........R: 17(J2010)...14.6"(Mar2013)/14.0"/14.0
Starting all over with 198 hours (1/? this month) of Callanetics, and playing outside!
Jigglebuster is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2014, 02:08 AM   #122
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Partyof7
Stats: 41 pounds down (with LC IF), 102 more to lose.
Start Date: March 16th 2014 reset:12/1/14
Just saying hello...Still reading. <3
Partyof7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 05:23 AM   #123
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susanw53
Stats: 238.9/195.2/155
WOE: Just sensible control
Start Date: Callanetics, 7/98, restart 5/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigglebuster View Post
Something became clear for me too about a week ago, it was the concept of all Callanetic moves, and that the physical aspect of the work is about positioning ourselves at the point of contraction, then remaining there and relaxing in this contraction point, letting go of the contraction where it would normally be. It's when we do this that we work the muscles at a very deep level, and as we become stronger the point of contraction changes and therefore the work gets deeper and deeper.
This is brilliant and quite poetic. You took my breath away. When I do my session this morning these words will be filling my mind every step of the way. I find it deeply motivating that years of faithful practice Callanetics continues to reward you with new levels of understanding. I'm convinced that, like being a student of martial arts, learning never ceases with Callanetics. I find that pattern being repeated constantly in my own practice.

Jigglebuster I did a little dance of joy when I read about your new home. I envy you the outdoor space. This is universal karma rewarding you, and after your challenges with your last neighbors you certainly deserve it. Right now I'm imagining you doing pliés in perfect balance, under the pines. Twelve sessions so far! Are you doing them daily? One of my instructors just mentioned to me yesterday that I might be ready to try back-to-back sessions. Your post was another kick in my behind. Maybe it IS time.

Over the past couple months I've been playing with the idea of developing a routine that focuses on balance movements, so your comments here got those ideas churning again. It might be a nice creative endeavor for me as things settle down, although I'm not sure they have completely. Dale had to go on oxygen this morning (it's been a concern, albeit a fleeting one, since the amputation) and I have a sense that there's something unseen going on. He has an appointment with the surgeon early Monday morning and we can discuss it then.

Your outdoor space sounds incredible. I can almost smell the pines. I have the benefit of being on the third floor overlooking our river valley. The low profile Victorian nature of the surrounding architecture and our location on the hillside rising from the flood plain means that our view from up here is almost completely unobstructed, so although we have to contend with the unrelenting sounds of traffic on the busy main road we feel sometimes like we are in the clouds. I often pause to get lost in the peacefulness and whimsy of passing clouds myself. I can relate to your little slice of paradise.

You always inspire me.
susanw53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 05:24 AM   #124
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyof7 View Post
Just saying hello...Still reading. <3
Hello Kati.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:49 AM   #125
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanw53 View Post
This is brilliant and quite poetic. You took my breath away. When I do my session this morning these words will be filling my mind every step of the way. I find it deeply motivating that years of faithful practice Callanetics continues to reward you with new levels of understanding. I'm convinced that, like being a student of martial arts, learning never ceases with Callanetics. I find that pattern being repeated constantly in my own practice.

Jigglebuster I did a little dance of joy when I read about your new home. I envy you the outdoor space. This is universal karma rewarding you, and after your challenges with your last neighbors you certainly deserve it. Right now I'm imagining you doing pliés in perfect balance, under the pines. Twelve sessions so far! Are you doing them daily? One of my instructors just mentioned to me yesterday that I might be ready to try back-to-back sessions. Your post was another kick in my behind. Maybe it IS time.

Over the past couple months I've been playing with the idea of developing a routine that focuses on balance movements, so your comments here got those ideas churning again. It might be a nice creative endeavor for me as things settle down, although I'm not sure they have completely. Dale had to go on oxygen this morning (it's been a concern, albeit a fleeting one, since the amputation) and I have a sense that there's something unseen going on. He has an appointment with the surgeon early Monday morning and we can discuss it then.

Your outdoor space sounds incredible. I can almost smell the pines. I have the benefit of being on the third floor overlooking our river valley. The low profile Victorian nature of the surrounding architecture and our location on the hillside rising from the flood plain means that our view from up here is almost completely unobstructed, so although we have to contend with the unrelenting sounds of traffic on the busy main road we feel sometimes like we are in the clouds. I often pause to get lost in the peacefulness and whimsy of passing clouds myself. I can relate to your little slice of paradise.

You always inspire me.
Hi Susan,

Ha ha! I'm glad you enjoyed my clairity. It was something I knew, but was not aware of on such a conscious level while doing. I can now actually feel the depth the focus goes to because of the changes that has happened over time. It's quite amazing!

I don't do them everyday. I do a two days on one or two days off kind of thing , then leave Sunday for my parkour. Within the two days on I'm doing a base of 10/10 with Super versions, and on one day incorporate more upper body things (I do various versions of push-ups, and with my new awareness, I have been able to replicate some weight-lifting moves, too, for my back, but Callanetics style, finding the point of contraction, releasing the contraction and pulsing. I find it most helpful for the upper body.), and on the second day, incorporate more of the Super lower body moves.... with a couple Evo and Cardio moves for good measure. Each day takes me about an hour and 20 minutes. It's working really well or me.

Of course, I always listen to my body, and there have been days where I simply do 10/10, without any advanced moves, and have even cut the pulses in half on days where I just don't have the same amount of time or energy.

I hope Dale heals well and quickly over the next little while. I'll send him some healing energy.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:30 AM   #126
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lilypond
WOE: Celiac
Hello all,
You might have some suggestions - I really do better if I can do something everyday - if it is every other day it becomes every other other day then twice a week then not at all, but everyday I do it. Any suggestions how to split callanetics up - my evolution is no longer splttable by parts - I cant find my original and only have a rip of the orig disc which shows exercises but can't be done by parts. I have 10 hours and super as well
lilypond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:40 AM   #127
Major LCF Poster!

6/13 July

Jigglebuster I've been playing with the idea of a schedule similar to yours lately. I always find myself longing for another session the day after. I'll be changing things up this week, since I have three family members I need to accompany to appointments on days that interfere with my regular schedule. What I'm planning is another tomorrow and then going with every other day. It was planned as a way to allow myself Callanetics time on days that I wasn't running all over town with the added benefit of making up one of my lost days, bringing me closer to my goal for the month. Not that I necessarily feel the need to make that goal. If ever a month deserved a missed goal, this was it

Knowing I was planning to do another full session tomorrow I stuck to one of my class routines without any embellishment or additions. I can so easily get carried away. This one takes about 42 minutes, and done mindfully it offers a total body workout. I managed to get through it with only three breaks, so I actually enjoyed around 50 minutes of pulsing bliss. In every position I thought of Jigglebuster's poetic words about positioning and releasing of tension. The whole experience was magnificent.

There are a number of movements from Evolution where you have an extended arm with a rotation that causes the palm to face the ceiling. I've been working lately to keep that arm straight and extended while keeping the scapula relaxed, down and out. The tendency is to let that arm droop and I'm resisting that tendency and consciously counter extending between the scapula and the middle finger. The depth of the stretch one gets from this awareness is amazing to me. Working in front of a mirror I get all caught up in the clean lines of Callanetics.

OK. Time to do lunch. Happy pulsing all.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:41 PM   #128
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ouida
Thanks for addressing my questions about the leg stretches on the bar!

"Something became clear for me too about a week ago, it was the concept of all Callanetic moves, and that the physical aspect of the work is about positioning ourselves at the point of contraction, then remaining there and relaxing in this contraction point, letting go of the contraction where it would normally be. It's when we do this that we work the muscles at a very deep level, and as we become stronger the point of contraction changes and therefore the work gets deeper and deeper. "

This comment by Jigglebuster resonated with me as well. The idea is very eloquently stated. I believe I understand this. The more I continue to do Callanetics, the more I experience this during my sessions. Right now, it happens when I get "lucky". Hopefully, in six more months, I will be able to do this at will, consistently and in every position.
Ouida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 02:09 PM   #129
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypond View Post
Hello all,
You might have some suggestions - I really do better if I can do something everyday - if it is every other day it becomes every other other day then twice a week then not at all, but everyday I do it. Any suggestions how to split callanetics up - my evolution is no longer splttable by parts - I cant find my original and only have a rip of the orig disc which shows exercises but can't be done by parts. I have 10 hours and super as well
lilypond, I have a couple suggestions. First off, it is possible to get a workout on your off days by simply doing the Warm Up sequence in Triple slow motion. I mean t-r-I-p-l-e slow motion. You will really feel it and it will work each and every muscle in your body.

Second, let me offer Callan's 15-Minute Maintenance Program from her original book. She created this to be used by people who had achieved their fitness goals and no longer needed 2-3 regular sessions a week. You have to understand that one of Callan's motivations in developing Callanetics was to offer maximum effect in minimal time. This is not a routine for beginners. It is for those who have an understanding of the movements and the underlying concepts. It is not intended to replace the 10/10 program, but rather to offer a time-saving option for those with a busy life or to offer a routine for days when you are not doing a full session. It also works for your stated needs for a daily routine. It is created with balance and should not be modified. In Callan's own words:
"To omit one exercise in favor of something else, or something you find easier or more comfortable to do, would upset this balance. You won't get the rapid results you desire."

You can, however, break it down into smaller parts to be interspersed throughout your day. She speaks in the book of a student who broke hers up into three 5-minute sections to be done morning, afternoon and evening, allowing her to take care of her body despite her very busy life.

15-Minute Maintenance Program

Warming Up
#1: Hanging from ladder or door as long as your wrists will allow (I have a chin-up bar that I use. Many don't have this type of access.)
Up and Down x 5 reps
Underarm Tightener x 75 pulses
Waist Stretch x 75 pulses each side

For the Stomach
#1: Both Feet Flat x 75 pulses
#2: Both Legs Up x 75 pulses

For the Legs
#1: Pelvic Waves x 5 reps (yes, that was 5 reps )
#2: Heel on the Barre x 25 pulses each side (or hold and relax for 30 seconds)

For Tightening the Behind and Hips
#1: Seated, Knee Bent x 75 pulses each side
#2: Seated, Leg Extended x 75 pulses each side

Stretching
#1: Legs Wide, to Center x 25 pulses (or hold and relax 30 seconds)
#2: Legs Together, to Center x 25 pulses (or hold and relax 30 seconds)

Pelvic Scoop x 8

Inner Thigh Squeeze x slow count to 100

Intersperse the One-Hour Program with this 15-Minute Maintenance plan every second or third day to keep the fast results coming in. Put every bit of mindfulness into this program that you put into the longer sessions. What you will discover is a deeper awareness of your body and an acceleration of your results.

I hope this helps you with your quest.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:10 PM   #130
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouida View Post

"Something became clear for me too about a week ago, it was the concept of all Callanetic moves, and that the physical aspect of the work is about positioning ourselves at the point of contraction, then remaining there and relaxing in this contraction point, letting go of the contraction where it would normally be. It's when we do this that we work the muscles at a very deep level, and as we become stronger the point of contraction changes and therefore the work gets deeper and deeper. "

This comment by Jigglebuster resonated with me as well. The idea is very eloquently stated. I believe I understand this. The more I continue to do Callanetics, the more I experience this during my sessions. Right now, it happens when I get "lucky". Hopefully, in six more months, I will be able to do this at will, consistently and in every position.
I have no doubt you will Ouida.
Old 07-19-2014, 03:00 PM   #131
Major LCF Poster!

I promised Kati I would list my sessions to give her more options to pull from when structuring her own, so here's today's.

Warm Ups
- Up and Down x 10
- Arm Swings x 10 (These are simply loosely swinging the arms as per Up and Down but keeping the body down, hinged at the hips and torso parallel to the floor)
- Underarm Tightener x 75 pulses
- Waist Stretch x 75 pulses each side
- Hamstring Stretch x 20 second hold to center and each side
- Neck Turns x 4 each side
- Ear to Shoulder Head Drop x 4 each side

Abs
- Waving Abs: 10 to front, 10 rotations to each side, 10 more to front: repeat all (If you can't do these I would suggest replacing them with 50 pulses each side of One Leg Up with a Rotation followed by 50 pulses, same position but with arms in the classic position on each side of the leg. That would give you 100 pulses on each leg.)
- Both Legs Up with Rotation x 50 each side (When you release arms they are both to one side, pulsing to the front)
- Hug Knees and trace clock face on floor with pelvis, both directions
- Back Extension x 10 seconds (This is a classic yoga Boat pose)
- Child's Pose x 10 seconds (another classic yoga pose)

Legs
- Pelvic Waves x 2 reps (I did these standing beside barre and high on toes)
- Pliés x 8
- Front Thigh Stretch x 20 seconds each (A standard standing thigh stretch. Begin with feet pelvic-width apart, outer edges of the feet straight. Pressing down into the left heel to lift the right foot to the back. Grasp the right ankle or further up onto the foot. Lengthen the lower back gently to feel the lower abs engage. Bring the knees in line with each other, maintaining your check points as well as your counter extension through the left heel and the crown. Relax completely to allow the front thigh to get a nice stretch. Repeat with the other side.)

Hips and Behind
- Kneeling, Knee Bent x 75 pulses each side
- Kneeling, Legs Extended x 75 pulses each side

Stretches
- Legs Wide to the Center x 30 second relaxation (hinge from hips)
- Evolution Rotated Side Stretch (done from previous position of wide legs) x 20 seconds each side
- Button Stretch x 10 seconds each (To stretch the hip joint. Lying on back with knees bent and feet flat, bring right foot onto left thigh. Without letting pelvis roll off floor, pick up left foot while letting right knee relax out to stretch through the hip. Repeat on other side.)
- Lying Hamstring Stretch with strap x 50 seconds each side
- Cross Over Torso Twist x 30 seconds each side
- Elbow to Knee x 2 each side (A classic Feldenkraise movement. Lying on your back, knees bent and feet flat, place your right hand behind your head and lift your left foot to bring the knee over the hip. Place your left hand on the front of the left knee. Very thoughtfully and without strain inhale as you roll the pelvis to the floor, causing the lower back to arch. Exhale and roll the pelvis the other way. As the back relaxes to the floor allow the head and neck to lift from the floor. As you curl up, rotate the mid back to bring the right elbow to the left knee. Don't worry if you can't touch them. No strain, just free movement. Do two and then repeat on the left side.)
- Cat Stretch x 10 seconds (A basic movement to release tension of the pelvic floor muscles and return them to proper length. On hands and knees, hands below shoulders and knees just wider than the pelvis. Without curling the pelvis, relax the tailbone back to sit on the calves. Done properly you can feel the pelvic basin open to allow the tailbone to reach upwards as you come back. Come back only as far as you can, keeping the pelvis from curling. )

There you have it; 45-50 minutes of total body sculpting. Enjoy.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:19 PM   #132
Senior LCF Member

Thank you so much - I loaned my original book and video to my neighbour - about 20 years ago never seen again lol. I had forgotten this part
Old 07-19-2014, 08:21 PM   #133
Senior LCF Member

I often just do the warmups - I love them. I figure they are why I don't have any wrinkles on my neck.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:32 AM   #134
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ouida
Quote:
Thank you so much - I loaned my original book and video to my neighbour - about 20 years ago never seen again lol. I had forgotten this part
This tickled me and made me chuckle. I think your neighbor needs to give that book back to you because she has had it long enough!
Ouida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:42 AM   #135
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hello all,
lilypond, on my "days off" I still do the first warm-up exercise and the stretches plus a few other stretches. I'm one of the least flexible people in the world, so if I don't keep up the stretches, even for one day, I lose all the work I've been doing in the previous year it seems. Doing the stretches, give me that "There, I've done something, and can get on with my day" sort of feeling.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:44 AM   #136
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouida View Post

I know exactly what you mean about getting 'lucky'! Ha ha! But it seemed the more and more I did Callanetics, the more conscious it became, without pushing it, and it will for you too, I'm sure!
Old 07-20-2014, 10:48 AM   #137
Senior LCF Member

I wanted to say too susanw53, thanks for your words of enthusiasm for my new home. I actually moved into a coop, hence the larger yard, so this is all new for me, but I feel I will learn what I need about sharing whilst keeping my light shining. I feel Callanetics is a big part of this.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:43 PM   #138
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: slendercate
Stats: 190/184/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Re-start Nov 2014
Hello, all,

Been MIA with Callanetics as I have been studying for a major exam(grad school). It is now over, so since last Friday, I have been doing Level II from her book, 30 days to a slender body (or something like that title).
It is so thread bare as I have used it since 1991. It still works for me.

Here is to a more fit self and a better looking body.
slendercate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 02:11 PM   #139
Senior LCF Member

Thank you Susan! Feeling like a session today!!
Old 07-20-2014, 04:47 PM   #140
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I wanted to say too susanw53, thanks for your words of enthusiasm for my new home. I actually moved into a coop, hence the larger yard, so this is all new for me, but I feel I will learn what I need about sharing whilst keeping my light shining. I feel Callanetics is a big part of this.
Good heavens you can tell I live in the country - i read that as a coop as in chicken coop. Now there are actually some very nice chicken coops around here and I was thinking - hey great use of a small space lol . Duh...
Old 07-20-2014, 04:50 PM   #141
Senior LCF Member

I am hoping to get my flexiblity back - I used to be one of those people that could put their legs behind their head and twist myself into pretzels - I am glad I can still touch my toes but more likely cause I have long torso and short legs lol.
Lilypond
Old 07-20-2014, 05:30 PM   #142
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bronwyn
I have done 0 (that's a big fat zero) hours this month *sigh* but still here...
Bronwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:46 PM   #143
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: callangirl
Stats: 255/140/135
Start Date: July 3, 2012
So far, I've only completed 2 out of the projected 12 sessions for this month...
callangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:12 PM   #144
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Well, I finally have my internet hooked up, after my move for July 1st.

Since my move, I have located a lovely spot under a huge Jack pine to do my Callanetics under, and have completed 12 sessions so far. I have to say, every time I do it outside, I feel like I access something deeper. Maybe it's the smell of the pine, or the animals walking by, or the pauses filled with cloud watching, but all I can say, is it shows. It could be that I'm not using a bar for anything, so I'm totally relying on my balance including the plié stuff, ha ha!

Also, the other day, I ended up watching Super twice, right through in a row and heard her say a few things I hadn't quite *heard* before that helped with my alignment and really finding a physical and energetic focus. I'm really excited and feel as though my technique has improved dramatically!

Callangirl, I hope you feel better soon!!!
You've been missed Jigglebuster, I'm glad that you're getting settled.

Thank you for the get well message, I feel much better than I did at this time last week.

I know what you mean about exercising in the fresh air. Living in a rural area -- many times I've used my rebounder outdoors and it has been invigorating.

Super Callanetics provides an interesting turn of events, doesn’t it? It’s funny how slight changes affect the dynamics of the movements.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:16 PM   #145
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronwyn View Post

Bronwyn don't worry about it, it’s been a rough month for me too. We'll get them next time!
Old 07-20-2014, 08:18 PM   #146
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Sending heaps of healing thoughts your way.
Thanks Susan!
Old 07-20-2014, 08:29 PM   #147
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyof7 View Post
Ok. 1/10 done today. I'm feeling it.
Bless you all. Just troubled times all over - Going to pull myself up and be a light as best as I can. <3

Forgot to share my inch losses:

Neck - was 18, now 16. -2" after 10 hours
Waist - was 57 now 56 -1" after 10 hours
Hips- was 66 now 62 -4" after 10 hours
Upper arms - was 18 now 16 -2" after 10 hours
Bust braless - was 54' now 53' -1" after 10 hours
chest - no measurement before now 48"
thighs - still 31" - no reduction
calves - was 20 now 19' -1" after 10 hours
ankles - was 11" now 10.5 -.5" after 10 hours
Impressive, Kati! I see that you've reached your goal of buttoning your denim jacket. Also you've lost more than 40 pounds... Excellent!
Old 07-20-2014, 08:48 PM   #148
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Here's my favorite movement for triceps.

On hands and knees, hands directly below shoulders and knees directly over hips.
Spread fingers wide, align elbows so pits face forwards, points to back. This assures that when you bend the elbows your alignment will be straight.
Check points in place. No sag to the torso or curl to the pelvis. You want a relaxed, neutral pelvis throughout. Your head is on a stable line with the spine, face to the floor.
Very slowly and thoughtfully begin to bend the elbows to lower the torso to the floor. Keep the hips from moving at all. Your focus is to get your forearms as close to the floor as you comfortably can. Go down only as low as you can without shifting the pelvis out of position and then slowly reverse to come back up. Think about lengthening through the crown as you go. You will really feel this in the triceps. Do up to 10. I usually combine them with rhomboid push-ups (same starting position but with the head relaxed and down, crown to the floor and you don't bend the elbows to lower the chest), beginning with 5 rhomboids and then do 5 triceps. Typically I throw these in right before abs because they loosen the upper back to allow a better curl.

I absolutely love these exercises and what they do for my upper arms. I hope they can help you as well.

Thanks for sharing these specialized push-ups with me again, Susan; however, I still feel as though my triceps firm up quicker with added weights. Maybe it's all in my head. Perhaps my fat is more stubborn than most.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:01 PM   #149
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronwyn View Post
But you're still here Bronwyn, and that's enough for now.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:34 PM   #150
Senior LCF Member

I feel slightly encouraged so many of us are behind this month. I know thats probably wrong.

I will try again tomorrow.