LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2014, 06:28 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: susanw53
Stats: 238.9/195.2/155
WOE: Just sensible control
Start Date: Callanetics, 7/98, restart 5/2013
Callanetics Challenge, June 2014

We are a dedicated community that are happily addicted to Callanetics.

This fitness approach gently brings your body back to health and wellness by using tiny, tiny pulses to train your muscles to hug around your bones the way nature intended. Callanetics are no-impact, making them safe for any age or physical condition. They are marvelously adaptable to most challenges life throws at us.

Consistent, mindful practice of Callanetics will change your body in surprising ways. Your legs will quickly become long and slender. Your jawline will gain definition. Aches you had will begin to vanish as your bones shift back into proper alignment and your muscles become stronger. Your body will pull in and lift up in the most youthful ways.

You will learn to release tension at will. Your balance will improve. You will have more energy. You will laugh more often.

You will look at least ten years younger for the rest of your life.

These benefits and so many more can be yours with a commitment to 2-3 mindful sessions a week. Thinner every day. Always growing stronger.

We post here to encourage each other and share ideas to improve our technique, always working to reap greater benefits from our pulsing sessions.

Feel free to join us.

Happy pulsing.
susanw53 is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2014, 07:53 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chantal1970
Stats: 203/197/140
WOE: Weight Watchers/Clean eating
Start Date: Restarted January 2014
Hello everyone!

I am commited to 20 sessions for June starting today. I had a wonderful massage this afternoon after work and my muscles feel a bit sore and relaxed. Time to stretch them a bit, then a hot bath with epsom salts, drink water and go to bed...followed by several trips to the bathroom, haha.

Hope everyone is doing well and staying commited. Hugs!
Chantal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:57 PM   #3
ISO
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ISO
Thanks for starting June's thread Susan. I can find everything I need here ....... accountability, understanding, explanations and encouragement!

Wow Chantal, the changes you'll see this month.

Hard to believe it's June already. Shorts and swimsuits.........I'm wearing last year's clothes
(thank heavens), now to dig out the size smaller outfits that will fit soon!

Carbs have such a hold on me, there seems to be no happy moderation... One slice of bread (just an example) and the next thing the loaf is gone ...

While I didn't meet my goal for May, I didn't quit or give up..... that is big deal for me!

Keeping June simple with a goal of 12 sessions. Looking forward to lots of chatter!

Linda
ISO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:09 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

I feel that I perform better in my workouts and at my job when I do Callanetics. This workout can be very addictive for me due to the mental, emotional, and physical relief I get after a session. The stretches for the back feel simply wonderful. I had a deep tissue massage today and I tolerated the pressure just fine on my back. That was a nice surprise, I usually can't handle any deep work. The glutes and legs were more sensitive, but I did a lower body workout yesterday.

My husband took my before pictures and already measured me. I will have him take them again after session #40 to be able to see actual progress. In the meantime, I am enjoying the journey.

Last edited by Chantal1970; 05-31-2014 at 09:10 PM..
Old 06-01-2014, 04:04 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ouida
Thanks, susanw!

I am here to mark my "spot/place" for now. I'm excited to see what Callanetics is going to gift to me for the month of June. Can't wait to hear about what June brings to you all, too!
Ouida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:06 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chantal1970 View Post
I feel that I perform better in my workouts and at my job when I do Callanetics. This workout can be very addictive for me due to the mental, emotional, and physical relief I get after a session. The stretches for the back feel simply wonderful. I had a deep tissue massage today and I tolerated the pressure just fine on my back. That was a nice surprise, I usually can't handle any deep work. The glutes and legs were more sensitive, but I did a lower body workout yesterday.

My husband took my before pictures and already measured me. I will have him take them again after session #40 to be able to see actual progress. In the meantime, I am enjoying the journey.
Chantal1970 this program is addictive period. I used to tell my children "Choose your addictions carefully." This was my best choice.

Having had some experience with massage therapy I know how much Callanetics improves technique. The core strength and alignment improvements created by these intensely controlled pulses gives you such a renewed sense of "center" that makes giving a massage a more joyful dance.

I still work on massaging tension out of my daughter's upper back and neck as she struggles to get back to Callanetics herself and I've found that listening so closely to my own body helps me be more intuitive about hearing her body speak to me during massage.

Good things all around. May I ask, how do you schedule your sessions to allow for 20 in a month? I've set up my personal experiment (life is one big science experiment in our home ) to demonstrate that committing yourself to 2-3 mindful sessions of Callanetics a week one could get the body back to normal without any crazy dieting. Sensible eating and Callanetics. To be honest, I chose 2-3 sessions weekly because that was all my body could handle at the time without breaking down. As I've progressed I now find it difficult to resist the urge for another session per week. I do the Daily Stretch more often than Callanetics, but there are days I do nothing but study. I'm curious as to how you fit 20 sessions into a busy life. I may be much lazier than you.

I'm in for 13 sessions this month.

Happy pulsing all.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:59 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dixiegal
WOE: LC JUDDD 1981/396
Start Date: 7/7/14 JUDDD
I have a problem I can't find a solution to and was hoping y'all might have some ideas. I use to do callanetics a few years back and it helped my fibro symptoms a lot. Since then I have fallen off the lc wagon, gained back a ton or weight and my fibro has gotten so bad I can hardly move.

I used to work out in our den which was carpeted and had no problems. Since then we have taken the carpet out and put in a laminate floor ( I hate it ) anyway when trying to start back to C I quickly realized I could not do the floor work because of the pressure the floor put on my hips, back etc. Since then I have tried everything, exercise mats, a few folded quilts under the mat, blankets, quilts, mats all together and I still can't do the floor work the pressure and pain caused in whatever body part is on the mat is too much. I'm so discouraged and can't find a solution. I tried a few times to ignore the pain it was causing and power though but it's too intense. Callanetics was the only exercise I found that helped the stiffness and pain for me and as more time goes on I just keep getting more stiff and less active so if anyone can think of a solution I'm all ears. I would re-carpet the room but it's huge
30x30 and too expensive to consider right now.
" The space between hunger and eating, where you make the choice you want isn't empty. It's filled with awareness."
dixiegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:10 AM   #8
ISO
Junior LCF Member

dixiegal - not sure if it would help or not but... what about those interlocking foam pads??? Here they come 4 in a package, are 18 " or so square and a good 1/2" thick. Maybe connect 2 and stack the other 2 on top???

....or what about some 'layers' of carpet underlay, stacked and wrapped in fabric - like a huge pillowcase idea???

Hope you find an easy solution.

Linda
Old 06-01-2014, 10:51 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: iwsam
Have a nice month everyone,the summer just began
I can't believe I took 3 days in a row off...But hell,I needed them !
I actually did 2 hours today-not exactly I did the exercises twice, but the warm up & stretches once. I hope to fit in around 20 hours in June ! So let's see how'll that go...
My measurements are the same since the 20th hour( I'm now at 48th ) so ugh ugh ugh... KEEP PULSING <3 !
iwsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:26 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Partyof7
Stats: 44 down, 104 to lose.
WOE: JUDD induc.UD 4/10/14 Goal: Under 50g carbs day
Start Date: March 16th 2014
Dixielegal - I think the foam interlocking mat is a good idea. Otherwise - I'm sorry hon. No idea. Welcome though - you'll find something!

I'm in for 12 this month! Even though I am having a crappy start, I feel happy to know that a fresh month means I can meet my goal this month. I made (IIRC) 6 for April, 9 for May, and this month will be 12!

PS) Hello Chantel!

ISO: I ate 4 mexican wedding cookie cakes this morning ebfore my eyes even really opened. I understand the carb addiction. As soon as we get our next paycheck its back on track for me.
NSG#1: Log 40 hours of Callanetics by my bday
NSG#2: Fit into my wedding dress
NSG#3: Fit into my size 18 denim skirt
Be firmly in twoterville within 2 weeks.

Last edited by Partyof7; 06-01-2014 at 11:27 AM..
Partyof7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 12:25 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Hello everyone!

Well, here is how I schedule my workouts, I too am a VERY lazy person. I work only 4 days a week so that allows for extra time for myself (we also do not have children.)

So, I am off Monday through Wednesday. I work out doing Focus T-25 5 times a week (Monday through Friday), plus 2 hours of Zumba a week, which I do on any day, depending on my mood and energy. Keep in mind, being a massage therapist is not only physically demanding, but mentally draining also. I could come home feeling hyper, or tired, so Zumba is meant to work not only as cardio, but as a way for me to balance my energy levels whenever I come home feeling like a squirrel on caffeine.

I do 1 hour of Callanetics on the following days: Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday. Now, it has only been two weeks since I restarted working out and doing Callanetics and I feel that I am able to do certain pulses a bit better. I still struggle with the legs, but the time will come when I can do them better. I also like to light a white candle and pray before I do Callanetics. I think the intent has a lot to do with the way the body can handle a workout, and how we are able to put mind over matter. Also, I like to do my workouts during the day, and do Callanetics at night, as I sleep better.
Old 06-01-2014, 01:29 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: callangirl
Stats: 255/150/135
Start Date: July 3, 2012
I’m in for 12 sessions this month; I’ll probably do some weights for my arms because I don’t feel they’re toning up fast enough.

Wow Chantal, you’re going hard this June!

Dixiegal, the interlocking mats that Linda suggested is a good idea. Also, if you know of a store that sells carpets, you may want to ask them if they have any remnants. If so, you may be able to get a “mat size” piece for little or nothing.

Good Luck Everybody!

Highest Weight - 277
Start Weight @ LCF: 255(July/2012) Current(155) Goal(135)
Upper Arms: 17/12/10
Bust:49/38/36
Waist:47/33/27
Hips:49/39/36
Thighs:29/22/19
Calves:18/14/?
callangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 02:21 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Wow Callan! I'm going to mimic your stats format there, so I can begin keeping track.

Highest weight: 348
Start weight@LCF: 348 (March 2014) Current: Unknown

Starting June 1st 2014:
Neck:18
Upper Arms: 18
Bust (no bra): 54
Waist:57
Hips: 66
Thighs:31 (sitting)
Calves: 20
Ankles: 11

This is after about 16 sessions of Callanetics and semi LC/semi Judd/semi watching what I eat the last 2 months. I am also on ToM, and definitely can tell I have lost already.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:14 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Hey Kati - That's cool, it helps me to be accountable and see how far I've come.

I think Susan is the bravest for posting her pics...
Old 06-01-2014, 04:06 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

She is brave. I feel exposed just posting measurements.

Quick question: I haven't felt a very good stretch lately doing my leg lifts (bended or straight) so I went to my bed and did them on my bed and YOWSERS. Could barely do the 100.
What is the bed doing that the floor isnt?
Old 06-01-2014, 07:02 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

I know what you mean Kati, about feeling expose; I cringed when I first decided to post my measurements.

When you say leg lifts, are you referring to the ones for the behind and hips? If so, how did you do them on the bed? That's challenging!

Maybe you've come up with a brand new way to do Callanetics.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:43 PM   #17
ISO
Junior LCF Member

Just finished my i /12 for June!

Nite all

Linda
Old 06-01-2014, 09:03 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jigglebuster
Stats: 168... 153(March)/???/~145 5'7.5" wrist: 6.25"
WOE: Organic and nothing packaged and 70% raw.
Start Date: Callanetics : Aug 18 '09 then again: Mar 15 '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegal View Post
I have a problem I can't find a solution to and was hoping y'all might have some ideas. I use to do callanetics a few years back and it helped my fibro symptoms a lot. Since then I have fallen off the lc wagon, gained back a ton or weight and my fibro has gotten so bad I can hardly move.

I used to work out in our den which was carpeted and had no problems. Since then we have taken the carpet out and put in a laminate floor ( I hate it ) anyway when trying to start back to C I quickly realized I could not do the floor work because of the pressure the floor put on my hips, back etc. Since then I have tried everything, exercise mats, a few folded quilts under the mat, blankets, quilts, mats all together and I still can't do the floor work the pressure and pain caused in whatever body part is on the mat is too much. I'm so discouraged and can't find a solution. I tried a few times to ignore the pain it was causing and power though but it's too intense. Callanetics was the only exercise I found that helped the stiffness and pain for me and as more time goes on I just keep getting more stiff and less active so if anyone can think of a solution I'm all ears. I would re-carpet the room but it's huge
Hi there!

I'm assuming you mean the hip and behind exercises? Or do you mean the floor stretches as well?

I'd suggest to at least get into position on the floor and just hold it for a bit, even for 5 or ten seconds, just to get you body slowly accustomed to the position. You can do this with the cushioning suggested or not. In time, you can build the amount of time you can stay in that position, then begin with 5 pulses after that and build from there. Remember, the more loving you are to your body, the more affective Callanetics will be, so no rush.

I do recall another woman about a year ago using her bed to do the thigh exercises due to the support it gave her knees. This could be an option for you too, for the hip and behind exercises.

I hope that helps!
Thighs: L:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
........R:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
Above Knee: 21.5(2009)...16.25"(Mar2013)/15.25"/15.5
(M)Calves L: 17.5(J2010)...15"(Mar2013)/14.5"/ 14.0
.........R: 17(J2010)...14.6"(Mar2013)/14.25"/14.0
Starting all over with 171 hours (14/16 this month) of Callanetics, and playing outside!

Last edited by Jigglebuster; 06-01-2014 at 09:07 PM..
Jigglebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:32 PM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: quaqua
New to callanetics and starting today

Hi I am new here. I am also joining this callanetics bandwagon this month. I have been reading about it and amazed by some results pics on this website, but finally deicided to commit to it. Hoping joining this forum will motivate me. As motivation seems to be a big problem to a lazy person like me...

I tried the ten days younger callanetics 2 times last month, just to get a hang of it. Cant really reach the 100 pulse marks for many, especially the stomach ones.. hoping I will get there soon. I also took my initial measurement. I need serious toning up..
So hoping to do 4 a week and aiming for 20 this month.
quaqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:40 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Javaholic
WOE: trying to cut out the junk!
Count me in, aiming for 12 sessions. I hope that these winter days don't deter me.. Enjoy summer
Javaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:55 AM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: quiklos
quaqua and dixiegal!

dixiegal, you've been given some good ideas with the mats and go slow approach.

A couple of other suggestions for your situation. When I first started, there were a few exercises that I was unable to do, that I was unable even to understand how to do. Just getting into the position, as jigglebuster suggested, was something I did for a while with those, but I would add one thing ... visualize yourself doing the exercises. Wierd, I know, but there have been some studies that show that visualizing doing a workout has many of the same benefits as actually working out! Ha ha ... Mental Callanetics!

Another idea is to custom design your own Callanetics session using just standing moves. There are a lot of alternate moves in Callenetics Evolution and other workouts that exercise the same areas in different ways. As to specific guidance about which moves can substitute for which, I'll leave that up to more experienced Callanetics practitioners.

javaholic, a totally off-topic question that was bugging me a few weeks ago. How do African countries that are bisected by the equator deal with having some parts of their country in winter and others in summer at the same time? Idle minds want to know ...

I'm in for 8 this month! Good luck everyone!
quiklos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:20 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

1/12 for June!

Yes, I was speaking of the hips and behind exercises.

Definitely check out the Callanetics Evolution exercises. The videos are on youtube under the name "Workout with models". I have really enjoyed those.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:06 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

1/12

Hi there, Quaqua! Welcome to the thread… Don’t stress yourself over not being able to do all the 100 pulses at one time. Just do what you can and make use of those “breathers.” If you need any help, just ask. Most likely someone here will have answers to your questions. Also, there’s plenty of information in the Callanetics threads.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:12 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by callangirl View Post
I know what you mean Kati, about feeling expose; I cringed when I first decided to post my measurements.

When you say leg lifts, are you referring to the ones for the behind and hips? If so, how did you do them on the bed? That's challenging!

Maybe you've come up with a brand new way to do Callanetics.
Well, I have to modify either way. I almost am in a lying down position on my side to do them. Sack of potatoes tum gets in the way! I'm not ready to do them sitting up yet on my side.
Maybe I'll try that tomorrow. Could be
Old 06-02-2014, 02:28 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegal View Post

dixiegal. I see you've been lovingly greeted to the group. I know Callanetics is the answer to your fibro discomfort. The development of habitual lengthening and relaxation can only encourage your body to remottle those tight areas in your fascia. Gentle, gentle, gentle as you go. Jigglebuster's advice to simply get comfortable with the positions and relaxing into them before you begin pulsing is golden, as is quiklos's ideas about visualition. Executing the movement in your mind is one of the primary ways Callanetics works its magic. Your brain will eventually get your body where it needs to be. Let it have all the time it needs knowing you are benefitting your body with every pulse. Avoid working through pain. It's always a better idea to take more time to get into the program gently. Then increase slowly. I'll be hoping you will be pleasantly surprised at how quickly it progresses. This isn't a race or a competition. You have the time. Take it.

I have those interlocking rubber mats as the flooring for my own Callanetics space. Mine are 1/2" thick, left over from when we recovered the kitchen floor. Now when things drop in our kitchen they bounce. They're a higher quality than the ones you get from home improvement stores, but you could always purchase two sets of those (they come in sets of four) and stack them. Mine are arranged 3x3 to create a space measuring 4'x6', a perfect size for one. 3M makes Velcro strips that can be used to hold them together. Just an idea. Your fibro concerns demand extra special cushioning. These fit the bill and are solid enough to be stable as well.

Keep plugging away. Somewhere the solution exists. Callanetics has such potential for reclaiming your particular body that it's worth the effort. We'll find a way.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:35 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwsam View Post
Have a nice month everyone,the summer just began
I can't believe I took 3 days in a row off...But hell,I needed them !
I actually did 2 hours today-not exactly I did the exercises twice, but the warm up & stretches once. I hope to fit in around 20 hours in June ! So let's see how'll that go...
My measurements are the same since the 20th hour( I'm now at 48th ) so ugh ugh ugh... KEEP PULSING <3 !
Good work iwsam. Keep it up. I assure you there are changes going on deep within your muscles, benefitting you in ways that you can't even imagine. If you could see how my friend's abs smoothed over in the last month you would be as excited as I am. That was after years of practice and teaching. Lately her teaching schedule increased and she's been applying herself to the science of Callanetics and surprised herself with the changes she's seeing in herself. Mindfulness, lengthening, relaxation. These are secrets of getting the most out of these lovely pulses. Stop measuring and just enjoy.

Relaxed and effortless.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:36 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyof7 View Post
Wow Callan! I'm going to mimic your stats format there, so I can begin keeping track.

Highest weight: 348
Start weight@LCF: 348 (March 2014) Current: Unknown

Starting June 1st 2014:
Neck:18
Upper Arms: 18
Bust (no bra): 54
Waist:57
Hips: 66
Thighs:31 (sitting)
Calves: 20
Ankles: 11

This is after about 16 sessions of Callanetics and semi LC/semi Judd/semi watching what I eat the last 2 months. I am also on ToM, and definitely can tell I have lost already.
That took guts Kati. Good for you.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:44 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by callangirl View Post
Hey Kati - That's cool, it helps me to be accountable and see how far I've come.

I think Susan is the bravest for posting her pics...
You have noooo idea! If I want to create the level of excitement I'm striving for they were a necessary thing. I cringe before every post. I also smile in satisfaction over the obvious magic going on.

I purchased a new top for pictures. I wanted to begin to take 2 photos every month during this second year of my journey to document the changes month-to-month. I made sure it was a snug fit to show all the bumps and curves. I had intended to do the pictures before I started in with the Abs Focus class but time got away from me so they got done today, after two classes of that routine. I'll make myself be more timely from now on.

It will be interesting to compare them at the end of the year. Keep that excitement building.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:58 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quaqua View Post
Hi I am new here. I am also joining this callanetics bandwagon this month. I have been reading about it and amazed by some results pics on this website, but finally deicided to commit to it. Hoping joining this forum will motivate me. As motivation seems to be a big problem to a lazy person like me...

I tried the ten days younger callanetics 2 times last month, just to get a hang of it. Cant really reach the 100 pulse marks for many, especially the stomach ones.. hoping I will get there soon. I also took my initial measurement. I need serious toning up..
So hoping to do 4 a week and aiming for 20 this month.
quaqua. We're pretty good about motivation. It's hard not to be excited when the results start rolling in. Adding variety to the mix will keep you interested. Learning to work "relaxed and effortless" will amp up the results so you keep motivated. There's a lot of joy in consistent, mindful practice of Callanetics. Prepare to become addicted.

Don't worry about how many pulses you can get to now. I'm a pretty good student and I still have to take breathers during almost any abs routine I'm working with at the time. That's why God invented the pause button. You can either progress a little at a time until you can keep up or pause, take a breather, and set up to begin again until you complete the count. I usually make myself get the count in, which usually means many pauses.

Those abs are fierce. They're my primary focus this month and I'm learning soooo much from them. All that increased awareness will eventually come pouring out into these posts.

Happy pulsing.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:16 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyof7 View Post
Well, I have to modify either way. I almost am in a lying down position on my side to do them. Sack of potatoes tum gets in the way! I'm not ready to do them sitting up yet on my side.
Maybe I'll try that tomorrow. Could be
The Hips and Behind from Evolution could be your best choice for a while. They will do lots to strengthen the shoulder joints too. I appreciate the way Evolution movements were designed to be done without equipment and all of the Hips and Behind are floor versions.

I imagine doing them on the bed would be incredibly challenging. The difference is that the softness of the bed requires you to activate many more muscles to stay stable. Not sure how that would effect the integrity of the movements. I'll have to give it a try and see for myself. As long as you keep reaching for greater length and relaxing all unnecessary muscles you should continue to get results.

OK, I took the time to try that on our bed. It's got a nice 3/4" memory foam mattress topper so it may be softer than yours. What I found was that it was much more challenging to execute the bent knee one, and for the extended leg I had to go onto my elbow, as in Evolution, but with mindfulness and incredible focus on extending so no muscles in the waist or hips lifted the working leg, I was able to get the sought-after deep pulsing. If it works for you Kati. I'd try introducing those Evolution movements in. They are fabulous and the results possible with them are amazing.

Keep it up Kati. I'm proof that the program works.