Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > The Exercise Board
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2014, 09:33 AM   #91
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: shebassong
Stats: 173
WOE: Intuitive eater
Is it too late to join this group? I have lurked on here on and off over the years and have finally made the commitment to do callanetics consistently. I started last month and have been doing 10/10 for 4-5 days a week. So far I have not seen much inch loss at all and I am a bit discouraged but I don't want to quit. I do feel better about my posture and it seems that my abs are changing shape just not as dramatic as the results most people seem to report when they are first starting out.

I have already logged in 3 hours for this month and my goal is 12. If it's not too late to join I can post measurements.
shebassong is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2014, 09:40 AM   #92
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susanw53
Stats: 238.9/195.2/155
WOE: Just sensible control
Start Date: Callanetics, 7/98, restart 5/2013
Kati, if you google "coccyx seat cushion" and look through the images you will find many brands. See if you can find one that closely mirrors the picture I shared with you. They seem to fall between $30-60.

Good luck.
susanw53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:58 AM   #93
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shebassong View Post
Is it too late to join this group? I have lurked on here on and off over the years and have finally made the commitment to do callanetics consistently. I started last month and have been doing 10/10 for 4-5 days a week. So far I have not seen much inch loss at all and I am a bit discouraged but I don't want to quit. I do feel better about my posture and it seems that my abs are changing shape just not as dramatic as the results most people seem to report when they are first starting out.

I have already logged in 3 hours for this month and my goal is 12. If it's not too late to join I can post measurements.
shebassong. It's never too late to join the challenge. Just figure out how many sessions you want to challenge yourself to and jump right in. We are always thrilled to add another pulser to the group. Four to five sessions is impressive. I'm glad you are giving yourself two days off a week. Those off days are important for rest and rejuvenation from work that is much more intense than it appears to be.

We'll help you with that discouragement issue. Everyone's body is individual and when starting a new approach there is often this desire for accelerated and immediate results. Callanetics can work like that, but you are more apt to feel changes that may not be visible in the beginning. Because Callanetics begins it's magic deep in our muscles, targeting the ones that hug closest to the bones, it can take a while. If you were very active in some other form of fitness approach you may be tighter than you realize and it may take a bit longer for your body to begin to open up so the real pulling in can commence.

I assure you that if you are working mindfully and consistently, continually coaxing even more extension through the spine and learning to pulse "relaxed and effortless" you cannot keep the results from happening. The secrets to effective Callanetics practice as quite simple, actually, but they demand that we allow the body to get through the stages of progression on its time frame, which is not always an exact match to our time frame.

My class is focussing on abs this month. We will be touching on it frequently here as I can't keep the excitement bottled up.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:21 AM   #94
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rosebud87
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanw53 View Post
Do I ever. Remember though, the loose skin here will probably be the last part of your body to fall in line. You should avoid being discouraged by this. It's only a matter of time. My class is focusing on ab workouts this month and I'm seeing great results. That flap is slowly but surely becoming smaller and smaller. Another month and I'll be forced to buy smaller underwear. We do much more variety than I can share here (proprietary information). The value of working with a professional. However, the basics of success apply to any Callanetics movements.

What needs to happen is learning to extend the spine. Keep working on that lengthening. It is the internal length which will encourage pulling in. This is fundamental to success. Relax, extend, relax, extend, relax and extend further.

A couple pointers that will help accelerate results:
- The head is just an extension of the spine and begins right at the base of the spine. Keep that foremost in mind, because when you seek more length it should be starting right there, and then visualize creating additional space between each vertebrae.

- When in position, elbows out and up, begin by taking a deep breath. On the exhale relax the abs to the spine, thinking of creating a bowl shape down into the pelvic basin.

- Be cautious about jutting the neck while pulsing with abs. The shoulder blades will rise up if you jut the chin and you want them melted down the back and widened out.

- * As you do the abs be particularly mindful of the ribs and the pelvis extending to move away from each other. You will notice that the lower ribs will drop down towards the floor, as the abs melt deeper to the spine.

- It is just the abs that are working here. Nothing else should come into play.

- Open and Close is probably one of the best movements for the lower abs. I'm not sure if it's on the DVD. If not I can write up instructions for you.

- Stay in your best position. When you begin to fall out of best position take the time to reset. I understand the desire to get through abs. They can be grueling. The results you are seeking will come faster if you take the time to work only in your best position. Take a breather, reset and begin again. Don't cheat yourself.

Accept that this will take time. Also understand that it will happen if you keep after it and stay consistent in your practice. The Magic of Callanetics insures it.

You are amazing, as usual! Thank you oh so much.
rosebud87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 03:56 PM   #95
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebud87 View Post
You are amazing, as usual! Thank you oh so much.
You are so welcome.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:11 PM   #96
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Partyof7
Stats: 41 pounds down (with LC IF), 102 more to lose.
Start Date: March 16th 2014 reset:12/1/14
3/12!
Partyof7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 04:32 PM   #97
Major LCF Poster!

3/13 June

I had to force myself to choose a routine other than the Abs Focus one I've been playing with for the past three sessions. I'm committed to promoting as much variety into my practice as I can muster to keep those muscles from becoming too used to a routine that they begin to predict the next move. Today I chose a nice intermediate to advanced routine I was introduced to months ago. It's a wicked 1 1/4 hours that takes me a bit over an additional 20 minutes to complete because the abs are incredibly intense and require numerous breathers for me to get through.

I think I'm falling in love with abs. When I finished the abs sequence I tacked on 30 Open and Close, just because I've missed them and Ouida reminded me of how effective they are for working the lower abs. I had to do them in blocks of ten after all those brutal abs that preceded them, but I got them done and was proud of the accomplishment. Thank you Ouida.

Next session I am definitely doing my Abs Focus routine. I'm beginning to really understand the concepts necessary for getting those abs to pull in. I've decided that for the rest of the month 2 of my 3 sessions a week will be that routine. I'm getting better and better at extending through the crown as well as keeping the head and neck relaxed and moving only as an extension of the spine. All those years of trying too hard. One of my recent advancements in understanding has been keeping the pulse only 1/4". I made myself take out a ruler last week to refresh my memory about how tiny that was. Keeping it tiny helps with keeping it focused in the abs and helps to keep the back tension free. My back still wants to get involved here and that is unacceptable.

I'm feeling an looking younger all the time. My hair has finally gotten long enough that I can clip it up and it shows off this lovely neck being sculpted by Callanetics. Like a whole new me.

Time to prepare dinner. Happy pulsing all.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:34 PM   #98
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyof7 View Post
3/12!
Kati, you are mindful enough and committed enough to consistency that I think you have a good chance of achieving that #1 goal. Remember that every pound you lose will look like 2 with Callanetics.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:55 PM   #99
Senior LCF Member

I have been making my own routine a bit. Finding what stretches feel good and pulsing in addition to what I have wrote down from Susan from 10/10 and the Evol videos...Is this ok?
Old 06-07-2014, 05:48 PM   #100
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I have been making my own routine a bit. Finding what stretches feel good and pulsing in addition to what I have wrote down from Susan from 10/10 and the Evol videos...Is this ok?
Absolutely Kati. Make sure you hit all the major regions with at least one fabulous movement and mix it up. The only exception is Warm Ups. Even if you choose alternates (as in substituting warm ups from Evo ) make the effort to do all the warm ups. Always begin with Up and Down, but feel free to change the order up from there.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:19 AM   #101
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ouida
"I'm feeling and looking younger all the time. My hair has finally gotten long enough that I can clip it up and it shows off this lovely neck being sculpted by Callanetics. Like a whole new me."

These words right here above, match the serenity, peace and self-love that I see radiating from within you, which shows on your face! This is very, very beautiful to see and to witness. Congratulations, susanw!

When I look at your progress photos, and I see the peace and joy in your face, I can't help but say, "I want that, too!" It's the Light that shines from within, in your photos, that speaks and resonates with me. I love the congruency of your words and your image. Together they show and communicate your authenticity, a rare trait indeed.

For all of it, I thank you.
Ouida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 04:37 AM   #102
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amata View Post
Great news Susan! Hadn't you mentioned having smaller feet too, earlier? Those are things I've noticed way back in the old, and my younger days, of doing Callanetics. A new thing seems to be that the horizontal "age" lines across the throat seem to be fading. I remember them suddenly being there when I woke up a couple of years ago and now I really have to look twice to see if they're becoming less noticeable.
Anyone else witnessing this?

Have a great weekend, everyone
Monique
I went back through my photos and, sure enough, there had been lines running back to front along the base of the neck where the fat was accumulating. Those are for the most part gone (and apparently nearly forgotten - another good argument for taking photos ). I've seen such dramatic change in my neck and throat over the past year. As I progress the skin under the jaw slowly but surely pulls further back and the vertical stripes of loose skin get smoother and smoother, creating a much more youthful appearance. One of my favorite results to date.

Although I couldn't be happier with being Grandma I wasn't happy about being a fat and dumpy grandma. This feels much more like me. Still in transition.
Old 06-08-2014, 04:45 AM   #103
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouida View Post
"I'm feeling and looking younger all the time. My hair has finally gotten long enough that I can clip it up and it shows off this lovely neck being sculpted by Callanetics. Like a whole new me."

These words right here above, match the serenity, peace and self-love that I see radiating from within you, which shows on your face! This is very, very beautiful to see and to witness. Congratulations, susanw!

When I look at your progress photos, and I see the peace and joy in your face, I can't help but say, "I want that, too!" It's the Light that shines from within, in your photos, that speaks and resonates with me. I love the congruency of your words and your image. Together they show and communicate your authenticity, a rare trait indeed.

For all of it, I thank you.
You are so sweet Ouida. Authentic is a good descriptor. I have always been "what you see is what you get". Mother raised me well, with a strong sense of the importance of unconditional love. That has served me well in the challenges life has thrown my way.

You have such a lovely way with words and a deep sense of understanding of Callanetics. These are valuable traits for this forum.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:44 AM   #104
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: iwsam
Quote:
Callanetics is as much a state of mind as it is an exercise approach. In order to stay the course and progress smoothly you need to suspend the pressure you put on yourself and simply trust the process. It's unfortunate that we must do this in a virtual world but it is what it is. My suggestion is to choose not to be frustrated and let yourself get lost in the beauty of the pulse. The changes begin deep in the muscles and work out and every body is individual. Try to enjoy the medatative qualities. Done mindfully and consistently Callanetics will deliver. Just not always on the timeframe we insist on.

I will not stop doing Callanetics even if I never see the results I want,I finally found an exercise program that I actually enjoy,I won;t give it up
It's just that after 50 hours I expected a bit more dramatic results than one inch from hips&waist, I expected eg to lose a dress size

2 more hours done !congratulations and thank you to everyone providing inspiration through their post
iwsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 06:42 AM   #105
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bronwyn
Hour 2 complete!
Bronwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:10 AM   #106
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Amata
Stats: 5'3" getting to slim and healthy
WOE: Fewer and healthier calories
Quote:
I went back through my photos and, sure enough, there had been lines running back to front along the base of the neck where the fat was accumulating. Those are for the most part gone (and apparently nearly forgotten - another good argument for taking photos ). I've seen such dramatic change in my neck and throat over the past year. As I progress the skin under the jaw slowly but surely pulls further back and the vertical stripes of loose skin get smoother and smoother, creating a much more youthful appearance. One of my favorite results to date.

Although I couldn't be happier with being Grandma I wasn't happy about being a fat and dumpy grandma. This feels much more like me. Still in transition.
Thanks for checking, Susan! With the neck lengthened, I suppose it's logical the skin gets pulled up on the front. Anyway, a nice extra surprise So many benefits, it's hard to keep track!

Enjoy Sunday, everyone. I'm enjoying reading all the posts,
Monique
Amata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:32 AM   #107
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Scorpio3110
WOE: Primal
Start Date: February 2011
Hi everyone.

Hope it's not to late to jump into the June challenge. After getting over the memory of the burn I experienced when I did Callanetics back in the 80s I've finally plucked up the courage to restart it. I've got 10/10, Evolution, Super Callanetics, and a couple of the quick ones - Legs and Stomach, Hips and Behind, Legs. Yes - I've been well prepared for a while. I just needed the motivation and I've certainly found it here. (Thank you, everyone.)

I'll aim to do a modest 6 this month to break myself in gently and I've just done my first session with 10/10.

Happy Sunday!!

Ama
Scorpio3110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:40 AM   #108
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio3110 View Post
Hi everyone.

Hope it's not to late to jump into the June challenge. After getting over the memory of the burn I experienced when I did Callanetics back in the 80s I've finally plucked up the courage to restart it. I've got 10/10, Evolution, Super Callanetics, and a couple of the quick ones - Legs and Stomach, Hips and Behind, Legs. Yes - I've been well prepared for a while. I just needed the motivation and I've certainly found it here. (Thank you, everyone.)

I'll aim to do a modest 6 this month to break myself in gently and I've just done my first session with 10/10.

Happy Sunday!!

Ama
AMA. It's our pleasure to join in your journey.
Old 06-08-2014, 12:45 PM   #109
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: callangirl
Stats: 255/140/135
Start Date: July 3, 2012
3/12 so far...

On the new baby, Thinasapin!!

Ama & shebassong!
callangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 02:58 PM   #110
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwsam View Post
I will not stop doing Callanetics even if I never see the results I want,I finally found an exercise program that I actually enjoy,I won;t give it up
It's just that after 50 hours I expected a bit more dramatic results than one inch from hips&waist, I expected eg to lose a dress size

2 more hours done !congratulations and thank you to everyone providing inspiration through their post
Good job!

Are you more flexible or anything like that?
Old 06-08-2014, 03:04 PM   #111
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: shebassong
Stats: 173
WOE: Intuitive eater
Yesterday I got in hour four so I'm at 4/12 for the month.

After going for my run and talking things out with myself I realized that the process is actually working the way it is supposed to just less dramatically. The two places where I lost inches are under my bust line and around my knees. Sooooo since callanetics tends to work from the rib cage down and the knees up I am on target!!! I took pictures yesterday as well and that is something that I haven't done in a long time as a way of monitoring progress. I think it will help me see the changes that occur a lot better. Here are my measurements as of yesterday. I won't measure again until the end of the month and hopefully a few more of them will move in the right direction.

Height: 5'6"
Weight: 173

Neck: 13.5
Left arm (right above elbow): 11.75
Right arm: 11.5

Above bust: 33.25
Bustline: 35.5
Under bust: 31

Waist: 31.5
Abs: 34

Hips (dimple): 41
Hips : 40.25

Left thigh: 24.5
Right thigh: 25

Left knee: 15.75
Right knee: 15.5

Left calf: 14.5
Right calf: 14.25
shebassong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 06:46 PM   #112
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Good job!

Are you more flexible or anything like that?

Aww thank you I am definetly more flexible than before,I *think* I am stronger, I do the exercises more mindfully and I generally feel better when I'm doing callanetics!
It's just ''annoying'' that I don't experience the pulling in and tightening other people do,I have seen so many amazing before-afters (and in shorter than my ~50 hours ) but as I've said I won't stop pulsing

~2 more hours done,let's start the week pulsing
Old 06-08-2014, 07:55 PM   #113
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: quiklos
Ama, shebassong, Bronwyn

Thinasapin, on your baby! What a blessing! For a barre, some like kitchen counters, although I find them too high for me. Or how about a window ledge, dining table, sturdy bar stool, TV console table, 2-drawer file cabinet with a couple of telephone books stacked on top, sofa back or arm?

iwsam, how long have you been doing Callanetics overall? I'm thinking that, due to your unconventional training schedule, maybe you should count weeks in addition to hours. The 10 hours we always talk about are realistically meant to be done over about 2-1/2 to 5 weeks. So, I don't think 20 hours, done over 2 weeks, will have the same effect as 20 hours done over 6 weeks. I think that's because our bodies need a certain amount of predetermined time overall to effect certain changes -- to build muscle, to adjust the positions of organs and ligaments, to remodel the skin -- and much of this work cannot be speeded up by doubling up the workouts. Not to say you're wasting your time; you'll still get there plenty fast, faster than most, but no matter what, it will take some time. Even with all those caveats, Callanetics still works amazingly fast even for slow pokes like me! BTW, I love your "I'll do it no matter what" attitude! And in the meantime, there's always Ouida's magic glitter!!

That's 2/8 for me! Happy pulsing everyone!
quiklos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:25 PM   #114
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiklos View Post
Ama, shebassong, Bronwyn

Thinasapin, on your baby! What a blessing! For a barre, some like kitchen counters, although I find them too high for me. Or how about a window ledge, dining table, sturdy bar stool, TV console table, 2-drawer file cabinet with a couple of telephone books stacked on top, sofa back or arm?

iwsam, how long have you been doing Callanetics overall? I'm thinking that, due to your unconventional training schedule, maybe you should count weeks in addition to hours. The 10 hours we always talk about are realistically meant to be done over about 2-1/2 to 5 weeks. So, I don't think 20 hours, done over 2 weeks, will have the same effect as 20 hours done over 6 weeks. I think that's because our bodies need a certain amount of predetermined time overall to effect certain changes -- to build muscle, to adjust the positions of organs and ligaments, to remodel the skin -- and much of this work cannot be speeded up by doubling up the workouts. Not to say you're wasting your time; you'll still get there plenty fast, faster than most, but no matter what, it will take some time. Even with all those caveats, Callanetics still works amazingly fast even for slow pokes like me! BTW, I love your "I'll do it no matter what" attitude! And in the meantime, there's always Ouida's magic glitter!!

That's 2/8 for me! Happy pulsing everyone!

Hey you're absolutely right.!!I've done 10/10 in the past so I was familiar with the exercises but I was never consistent. This time around though, I've started my Callanetics journey at April 13th, working out almost everyday but taking breaks when I nedeed to,and I intend to keep going
Old 06-08-2014, 08:44 PM   #115
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: callangirl
Stats: 255/140/135
Start Date: July 3, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan179 View Post
Well I think I am back in the game. Going slowly, especially the stomach exercises but ready to try again. I have the Callanetics for the back book, a lot of physical therapy exercises and some new techniques.
Glad you're back Susan179... I thought that we had another Susan here in the Callanetics tribe. The exercises for the back will be helpful to you, just take it easy.
callangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:56 PM   #116
Senior LCF Member

"...how long have you been doing Callanetics overall? I'm thinking that, due to your unconventional training schedule, maybe you should count weeks in addition to hours. The 10 hours we always talk about are realistically meant to be done over about 2-1/2 to 5 weeks. So, I don't think 20 hours, done over 2 weeks, will have the same effect as 20 hours done over 6 weeks. I think that's because our bodies need a certain amount of predetermined time overall to effect certain changes -- to build muscle, to adjust the positions of organs and ligaments, to remodel the skin -- and much of this work cannot be speeded up by doubling up the workouts. Not to say you're wasting your time; you'll still get there plenty fast, faster than most, but no matter what, it will take some time. "

Excellent, observation and analysis, quiklos! I will keep this in mind as I continue to pulse. This will help me regarding my own expectations. Thank you.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:21 AM   #117
Senior LCF Member

To add to the discussion about our bodies needing a certain amount of time to pull-in:

On the back of the cover of the 10/10 book there is a written question, "How much time does it take? The written response is,"One hour twice a week will get spectacular results. Once you have reached your perfect figure, maintenance can be reduced to just one hour a week". Based on the above information, I would even venture to say that the photographic results of 'Jean' within the 10/10 book, at 19 hours was probably after about 10 weeks, doing it 2 hours per week.

Whereas many of us are practicing 3x per week.
For example, my 19 hours was done in about 6 weeks (3x per week). When I had done 30 hours, was when I hit my 10th week at that time. And that was when I too "started to see the Magic of Callanetics", as susanw always says (magic starts around 30 hours).
Old 06-09-2014, 05:58 AM   #118
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Scorpio3110
WOE: Primal
Start Date: February 2011
Hey all.

2 of 6 done this morning with 10/10.

shebassong - good idea to post measurements to assess any change(s) at the end of the month. I did take some measurements before I started and I'll be taking some 'before' photos tonight.

Have a great day everyone.

Ama
Scorpio3110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:43 AM   #119
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan179 View Post
Well I think I am back in the game. Going slowly, especially the stomach exercises but ready to try again. I have the Callanetics for the back book, a lot of physical therapy exercises and some new techniques.
Good to have you back Susan. Gently and mindfully. You're looking quite elegant.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:13 AM   #120
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouida View Post
To add to the discussion about our bodies needing a certain amount of time to pull-in:

On the back of the cover of the 10/10 book there is a written question, "How much time does it take? The written response is,"One hour twice a week will get spectacular results. Once you have reached your perfect figure, maintenance can be reduced to just one hour a week". Based on the above information, I would even venture to say that the photographic results of 'Jean' within the 10/10 book, at 19 hours was probably after about 10 weeks, doing it 2 hours per week.

Whereas many of us are practicing 3x per week.
For example, my 19 hours was done in about 6 weeks (3x per week). When I had done 30 hours, was when I hit my 10th week at that time. And that was when I too "started to see the Magic of Callanetics", as susanw always says (magic starts around 30 hours).
Good information to have! Thank you for sharing that. I will order a copy of that book on payday. Would probably be most useful.

What is every ones *favorite* pulse? why?

My favorite (and least favorite! ) are the waist pulses. They are really effective, but man if they aren't trying! I do 100 of them on each side on days that I do callanetics.

On the goal side of things - I have not done so well with diet lately - been practicing mindfullness and watching what I eat but there has been a box of wheat thins and chocolate that found its way into the house ...

BUT I put on my jacket and the bottom button is MEETING the other side. Its snug, but I could button it if needed.
I bet by the end of this month I'll be able to button it up all the way. HUGE news - about 2 1/2 months ago I could only button the very top button and the arms were like sausage casings. Now, they are a little baggy even!
Goal#1: Fit into my wedding dress (265 will do it)
Goal#2: Fit into my size 18 denim skirt (Guessing 215)
Restart weight: 307 on 12/1
Be firmly in twoterville within 2 weeks.