LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2014, 06:45 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shaselai
Stats: 297/207/176
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 2/24/2014
Couple questions about HIIT

I am trying to incorporate HIIT to my routine and am wondering whats a good heart rate monitor to use? Seems Polar is a popular brand.
Also, is it "safe" to do HIIT everyday or theres a good routine to follow? I know it is 10-20min per session...thanks!
shaselai is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2014, 08:44 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shaselai
Stats: 297/207/176
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 2/24/2014
I have done HIIT a couple of times prior to today to get the feel of it but never in a setting where I was looking at the display from heart monitor. A little background:
Age 32
254 lbs
Diet plan : keto

Currently do 1-2 hrs cardio a day with 3 days/week weight training so i didnt come into HIIT "blind"
I did the following program:
Elliptical (forget name maybe S something?) - selected burn fat setting and started with resistance 8.
3 mins warmup - got heart rate to 160ish
20seconds HIIT 40 rest X14
3 mins cooldown.

Here's what i observed from the heart rate monitor - I used the Wahoo monitor because i am using a fitbit tracker already and the wireless to phone is pretty sweet.. Ironically enough i bought the heart rate monitor yesterday and when i used it today i found out i won a raffle for a polar FT4..

Avg: 162bpm Max:182bpm
During the workout I was floating around 160ish during "rest" and I noticed that it takes me a good 5-6 seconds to step it up into 170ish and i kept it there until the 20 seconds ends. My RPM was floating ~100 during rest and ~120 during HIIT and I was breathing pretty hard throughout but didn't have any "negative" feelings like dizziness etc. I am not sure what the "max heart rate" formula to look at but if the generic one is 220-age then 170ish is 90%+ which i guess is HIIT range.

After cooldown and 10minutes later i was around 110 and did zumba for an hour which averaged 148bpm.

So i guess my question is should i use the same workout plan next time or i should make some adjustments like resistance, incline etc? I am not sure if taking 5-6 seconds to get up to 170ish is a concern or not though....

I did eat 8 macadamia nuts 3 hours prior to workout....

Thanks in advance!
shaselai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:29 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
I have been looking at articles about this online and it seems like all the studies I come across have people doing it 2 or 3 times a week. I do wonder if like you shouldn't lift weights but about 3 times a week so the muscles can recover if the same may apply to HIT?
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote