Old 04-20-2014, 11:12 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Amylynn920
Stats: 280/245/125
WOE: Keto~HF/LC
Start Date: 4/09/2014
Yoga Question

Hi everyone,

I want to start an exercise routine. I'm over 50 and have some joint problems.

I'm looking at yoga. I haven't researched it very much but I plan on looking in to it a bit more.

Does anyone here do yoga that could offer some thoughts on if it would be a good choice for exercise?

I'd like to do this from home.

Thanks in advance.
Amylynn920 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2014, 11:42 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: frogg
Stats: 220/154/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2013
There's tons of yoga DVDs. I have only tried Rodney Yee's Yoga Burn. I like it. I know there's an online yoga program that has a sign up and you pay for. There's also a lot of yoga classes on youtube for free. Free is always good.

I think yoga is an excellent form of exercise. It's gentle on the joints and you get a terrific workout. You build muscles and improve balance and flexibility. You go at your own pace. Good luck!
frogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:14 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Thank you Frogg for the feedback. I wasn't sure if yoga was something you can do on your own or if you need a class. My size isn't stopping me from joining a class, it's just that I'm not sure where to even begin. I'm going to look around online and see what's out there.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:19 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Ailuros
WOE: Controlled carb, real food
There are quite a few different styles of yoga. Some are more vigorous and athletic, and some are gentler. Some teachers emphasise getting your body into the perfect posture, and others teach you to adapt the postures to get the most benefit for your body. Obviously the individual adaptation is harder to do when you’re not actually with a teacher, but if you look for something that is targeted at your age group, you’re more likely to find something that suits you. If the first one you try doesn’t give you what you want, do keep looking, because there are lots of options out there.
Ailuros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:36 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Madmarsha
Stats: way too much/157/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: October 2013
Well, I do a class. It's only a beginner's class and I don't find it much of a workout. More of a good "stretch" to start the week before I hit the other classes or whatnot for the week. Been thinking about doing a more advanced class but honestly I enjoy it.
Madmarsha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 01:32 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Thanks everyone. I really need to become more flexible, and I want to start toning up while I'm losing. I'm going to look into it more this week. I'll find something that works well for me.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:06 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

In my city most yoga places offer a cheaper one month tryout price so you can see how you like it. I'm sure most places do. I did a one month trial and fell in love with to yoga. My studio has recently added in other types like flow and yin as well and I find I love the variety.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:58 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

I think what confuses me is all of the different types. I haven't had time yet to really research this, but I will.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:53 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Amata
Stats: 5'3" getting to slim and healthy
WOE: Fewer and healthier calories
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amylynn920 View Post
I think what confuses me is all of the different types. I haven't had time yet to really research this, but I will.
Have you ever given Callanetics a thought? See the monthly challenge for info and "rave reviews". Because as far as I can see, it ticks all your boxes - it's relaxing, mild for the joints, a great way to reduce inches, improve posture, flexibility and circulation, etc. And it can be done at home with DVDs etc., and input from the wonderfully friendly and helpful challenge group.
Monique
Amata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:27 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogg View Post
In my city most yoga places offer a cheaper one month tryout price so you can see how you like it. I'm sure most places do. I did a one month trial and fell in love with to yoga. My studio has recently added in other types like flow and yin as well and I find I love the variety.
Erg, I meant 'hot' yoga, not 'to' lol.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:57 AM   #11
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
Look at youtube for "beginner yoga" and you'll find tons of free videos
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 02:42 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amata View Post
Have you ever given Callanetics a thought? See the monthly challenge for info and "rave reviews". Because as far as I can see, it ticks all your boxes - it's relaxing, mild for the joints, a great way to reduce inches, improve posture, flexibility and circulation, etc. And it can be done at home with DVDs etc., and input from the wonderfully friendly and helpful challenge group.
Monique
Hi Monique, no I have not, that sounds like something that would work too. I'll look into it and thank you!
Old 04-28-2014, 02:42 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Look at youtube for "beginner yoga" and you'll find tons of free videos
Dottie, thank you for those!
Old 05-01-2014, 11:56 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bobbyt
I would focus on beginners yoga and go from there! It's great for stretching and would be nice on your joints since it is stretching and easing your muscles into moves. I would stay away from advanced yoga or doing hot yoga or advanced moves. What's awesome about yoga is that you can go at your own pace and do the moves as advanced as you want to. Balance is very important so I would suggest getting yoga blocks to perfect your moves without over stretching or pushing your muscles.
The more your practice it the more flexible you'll get. If you feel comfortable enough, you can eventually lose the blocks but there's no shame in using them for however long you like.

My gym offers basic yoga classes and piyo classes. Piyo is a mix between pilates and yoga which also may be a good type of exercise to look into doing in the future. Like Dottie said, there are a ton of yoga videos on youtube that are very good.
bobbyt is offline   Reply With Quote