LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2014, 01:48 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: susanw53
Stats: 238.9/195.2/155
WOE: Just sensible control
Start Date: Callanetics, 7/98, restart 5/2013
Callanetics Challenge, April 2014

Here's your chance to commit to consistent Callanetics practice for the month of April, supported by one of the most caring and motivating groups of Callanetics students on the planet. Callanetics are tiny, controlled pulses that focus on the smaller muscles closest to the skeleton and pulling the body in to eventually result in a sleek body suit that is yours and yours alone. The no impact nature and thoughtful approach of Callanetics removes any chance of injury. Done consistently you can expect slow but steady results that will surprise and thrill you.

Some of the results students of Callanetics include:

Long lean legs with awesome muscle definition
Lean, sculpted arms
Youthful neckline
Stronger pelvic floor
Increased flexibility
Increased strength
Restore youthful alignment and posture

Feel full of energy, vitality and empowered. There's nothing like Callanetics to safely tone and shape the body.

Callanetics is safe for everyone regardless of age and fitness level. It's particularly beneficial and safe for people with back, neck and knee issues.

Reclaim your youthful body shape by joining us for the Callanetics Challenge.

(Thank you planetbenjamin for this list)

We look forward to having you join our celebration of all things Callanetics.
susanw53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2014, 02:37 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

I'm in for 12 sessions this month. I hope to get down another size in jeans by then. Let's see how that goes.

Last edited by susanw53; 03-31-2014 at 02:37 PM.. Reason: Spelling correction
Old 03-31-2014, 06:08 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: callangirl
Stats: 255/144/135
Start Date: July 3, 2012
Thanks for starting us all, Susanw. I'm sorry to hear about Dale needing surgery; but as you stated, it better than having the lost of his feet. It's good that Callanetics is helping you deal with stress. sent your way...

This month I'm going to do something different; I'm not posting how many sessions I plan on doing. I need to challenge myself and see how far I can push past my usual goal.

I’ll still be practicing 10/10 until May; after that I'll start the advance version.

At the end of April, I’ll be posting my measurements. I plan on posting them every 4 months. So at the end of April, August, and December we'll see the results…

Good Luck With Pulsing Everyone!
callangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:22 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ouida
Yeah! A whole new, baby fresh month!
Ouida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:18 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: in_waves
Stats: 177/177/130
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March 25, 2014
I'm in! Just tried my first Callanetics workout last night, thought it was a piece of cake and was thinking I must've cheated/didn't do it right, but I was wrong... so sore today, but in a good way!

I am going to commit to 15 hours in April, but my real personal goal for myself is 20, counting yesterday. I have no real reason to not do it M-F everyday unless I get too sore

Glad this group is here!
in_waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:13 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: quiklos
in_waves. So happy to see new faces around here (as well as old faces)!

I'm also going to try to mix things up this month, so will commit to 8.

Best to everyone!
quiklos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:14 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: luvkoala5373
Stats: current: 184.8-goal:35# or more
WOE: Just following a low carb diet
Start Date: April 2014 {again}
I'll give this a shot - I've never heard of Callenetics, but I can 'Bing' it more - I'll mix this up along with my Wii Fit Plus stuff and the Wii Fit Plus Yoga - I don't know how many hours to commit to since I've never done them -I've been trying to do 45-60 minutes/day w the Wii early, early in the AM - Ill post that part after I study
luvkoala5373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 02:18 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ThinAsAPin
Stats: 155/135/125
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: Jan 2011
Thank you Susan for staring this thread! Idk if anyone saw my question yesterday on the march 2014 challenge thread but basically I am wondering if anyone has seen the "secrets of callanetics" video and if they feel that it's a good investment?

I didn't get to do any callanetics today because I went in town early for a chiropractic adjustment and got stuck in a blizzard so I ended up t my moms for the rest of the day. I'm home now and feel like I got hit by a truck. Pretty typical for after having an adjustment.

Anyway I'll put myself down for 4 hours this month or once a week practice.

Last edited by ThinAsAPin; 04-01-2014 at 02:19 PM.. Reason: 2014 not 2914...obviously
ThinAsAPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 02:30 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

I haven't seen it but I am thinking of picking it up. Have you read anything about it? I bet most of it is probably on youtube somewhere. My understanding is that it is kind of an instruction manual for how to do the exercises correctly, rather than a workout, and I am sure would be a good companion to the DVD workouts if you're unsure of your form (which I feel like I am). As a matter of fact, I just bought it $5 on Amazon with free shipping if you have Prime, I should have it this weekend, I'll let you know what I think after
Old 04-01-2014, 02:31 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Welcome in_waves & luvkoala! Glad that you've decided to join us...

Yes, with Callanetics looks are deceiving; it's subtlely working without being excessively laborious. You'll find plenty of information here concerning this form of exercise. If you need help, feel free to ask. Susanw is a previous student of Callanetics and she’s now working on getting her certification.

And there are others here, who have first hand experience with Callanetics body transforming power.

Good Luck!

Last edited by callangirl; 04-01-2014 at 02:43 PM..
Old 04-01-2014, 02:41 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by callangirl View Post
Thanks for starting us all, Susanw.[/B]
I meant: thank you for starting us OFF.

Studying for too many exams has turn my brain to jello.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:44 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

dang, callangirl, you've lost 100 lbs?!?!?! good for you girlfriend!!!
Old 04-01-2014, 03:13 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Partyof7
Stats: 40 pounds down, 108 more to lose.
WOE: JUDD induc.UD 4/10/14 LC'ish, Calorie awareness
Start Date: March 16th 2014
Hi ladies - I attempted am/pm last night and the kids would not let me get more than 3 minutes in...grrr. They are all sick, so I'll excuse it this time, but I am IN for the month..

BUT- you know the move where you stand on your toes - heels together and go up 2 inches - do a pelvic curl etc?
My right foot is SO SORE today, not in an "I exercised it" kind of way, but more in a "I hurt it"/stiff needs to be popped kind of way. Its from my ankle, all the way to the top of my foot.
Is it due to my weight? How can I modify? Should I warm up more? any help, please!
Also the next exercise where you lie on your back and have one leg up, one leg down (or bent) and pulse...Its the leg you have up that you pulse, right?

I'm starting to wonder if I am too fat to do callanetics. Do you guys think? I really want to do this!

Last edited by Partyof7; 04-01-2014 at 03:15 PM..
Partyof7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:14 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_waves View Post
dang, callangirl, you've lost 100 lbs?!?!?! good for you girlfriend!!!
Thank you in_waves. My highest weight ever was 277! It's funny, because I use to be called knobby knees and string bean. I gained weight after the death of my mom and sister - I ate out of distress.

Anyway, after gaining I wasn't feeling great health wise and knew that I'd better do something about it, before bad turned to worse.

I bought all types of exercise DVDs, but it was too much jumping around, loud music, and yelling... Not exactly what I want to hear or do, especially early in the morning. So I kept browsing at Amazon and a book caught my eye - it was called Complete Callanetics. I read the reviews and then purchased it.

The rest is history. I fell in love with this style of exercising, which changed you inwardly as well as your exterior. You didn't have to kill yourself to see results.

This has become my lifestyle.

Last edited by callangirl; 04-01-2014 at 03:20 PM..
Old 04-01-2014, 05:09 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

It's good to see all the voices here. in_waves and luvkoala. Might I recommend "Callanetics, 10 Years Younger in 10 Hours"? That routine is the basis for the entire program and is an excellent jumping off point. AM/PM is a good choice as well, giving you the option to break the routine into two sessions a day. There are three years of back archives on this thread and it's always worth the trip down that lane for information on the practicalities of doing Callanetics. Always be gentle with yourself and keep your sense of humor handy. There will definitely be times when you will need it. As you progress feel free to tap our collective brains with any questions that arise.

Callangirl I had to laugh when you referred to "others" with experience in the transformational powers of Callanetics. I would place you first and foremost in that group. Your journey is nothing less than inspirational.

Partyof7, there is no weight limitation to Callanetics. I will grant that the weight will be an additional challenge for you, but please don't let that discourage you. Listen closely to Callan's encouragement to only do what your body is capable of. It's the consistency that makes the biggest difference. Your body will catch on. Little by little your muscles become stronger, your bones slip back into proper alignment and eventually the fat cells begin to empty out. I began my journey with Callanetics at somewhere around 225 after losing about 15 pounds before finally kicking myself to get pulsing again. Work on that "relaxed and effortless" approach and you won't be able to avoid the beautiful changes Callanetics has to offer.

As to the particular questions you pose:

The discomfort in your feet following the Pelvic Wave may indeed be an effect of your weight. These movements are more intense than many think. Personally, I still break after each rep (3 down, 2 up being 1 rep) and walk around the room. Allow your ankles and feet the time they are obviously demanding to develop more openness and strength. It is perfectly acceptable to do these flat-footed. Then you can test the waters from time to time. Before you know it you will be doing them high up on your toes again. The Evolution routine has you doing them in a wide stance. There is always a way to modify a movement. Working together we can figure it out.

When doing the One Leg Up Abs you are pulsing the torso, from right beneath the lower ribs. The abs are the only muscles you are working. Your goal is to train yourself to relax every other muscle in your body as your abs, and your abs alone, pulse so minimally, so gently but strongly that it may not be noticeable to anyone else. Take as many breathers as you need. Seriously. Either do as many as you can and add on with each session or take many breathers to get through the full count. That's my approach, but it takes much more time.

The raised leg is stable, hanging like a feather in space. I realize that sounds absurd to you at this point, but I can assure you that in time it will. One thing that has recently changed with this movement is to leave the arms on the floor as you curl up and then bring the arms up to grasp the thighs. Try it and see what you think. I was skeptical at first, but I believe it is a sounder approach to the positioning.

After getting into position take a deep breath and on the exhale relax your scapulae down the back, widen them out and let the abdominals relax and sink right down to your spine. Every time you breathe from that point on relax it all down again. This will greatly enhance your results. Just wanted to share those pointers.

Your changes may not be as noticeable on the outside as quickly but they will certainly be going on deep inside you. You may be surprised, as I was for a good time, that the girl in the mirror is not the same one you see in your head. Keep that mental identity. If you stick it out they will merge into one exquisite Callanetics wonder. It's unavoidable.

Children are another matter, and your house full of love has it's fair share of challenges. Persist in making yourself a priority. I can promise that the time invested in Callanetics makes life better for the entire family. Callanetics calms the soul and creates a balance that makes it easier to deal with life's little surprises. I'm certain every practicing mother here can support me on this point.

One last personal note: Dale's surgery is scheduled for the 23rd. That gives me almost a month to get him stretching those calves and shins. Maybe I can get him doing the Daily Stretch. I'm such an optimist.

Happy pulsing all.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:08 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Wanted to share:

Last year, before starting back with Callanetics, we purchased a new couch. It’s a standard three cushion piece and when it came I filled up one entire cushion when I sat on it. I’m sitting here tonight wearing shorts and realized I only fill 3/4 of that same cushion. I have shrunk down 25% of my former size. Callanetics in action. Susan in transition.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:18 PM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: qpdoll
Stats: 176/162/138, 5'3",Muscular Med Frame
WOE: Moderate Carbs
Start Date: January 2007
Hello All!!

I was here last year...yikes!!!!

Susan I missed you so much!! You are still amazing as always....This thread is so lucky to have you!!! Yesss...we need to get the tech guru's involved and get your new picture posted...lol... I wanna seeeeeee the change toooo.

So, I've decided i'm gonna post as I do!! I finished the 1st 10/10 today. I did 2 last week as well and am feeling stronger already. No visible changes yet but that would probably be asking too much too soon!! lol......anyway, good luck to all the Callan girls!!!!!! Its gonna be an awesome April.......

Dolly
qpdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:24 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Susan - Thank you, thank you, thank you I am so glad I joined! You are so encouraging.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:01 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Ok, as soon as I got the 2 under 2 asleep - I put AMPM in. I did BOTH sessions, modifying them for my body size. There were 2 that I couldn't do at all. 1 was open/close with the legs, and the second one was some kind of floor work -4th exercise on the PM side in.

I broke my tailbone 5 months ago when I had my baby - so mostly that is why I couldn't do those. I couldn't make it comfortable.
My foot still aches - but I did it!

1/12 (counting by sessions, not hours)
Old 04-02-2014, 03:40 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qpdoll View Post
Hello All!!

I was here last year...yikes!!!!

Susan I missed you so much!! You are still amazing as always....This thread is so lucky to have you!!! Yesss...we need to get the tech guru's involved and get your new picture posted...lol... I wanna seeeeeee the change toooo.

So, I've decided i'm gonna post as I do!! I finished the 1st 10/10 today. I did 2 last week as well and am feeling stronger already. No visible changes yet but that would probably be asking too much too soon!! lol......anyway, good luck to all the Callan girls!!!!!! Its gonna be an awesome April.......
qpdoll I have missed your beautiful smiling face.

I am so thrilled that you are practicing again. This past year has been so incredible, so I hope you've been following from the bleechers. You can see my latest face shot on my profile page and there are progress photos on the Before and After thread Watch-Me-Shrink started. Quite a change. I'm busily proving my theory that you could begin Callanetics obese and end up svelte. So much fun.

I'll be back later today.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:03 AM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: luvkoala5373
Stats: current: 184.8-goal:35# or more
WOE: Just following a low carb diet
Start Date: April 2014 {again}
I did these for a few minutes this morning - 1st, it was right after my Wii stuff and yoga, so I was already an hour into it - maybe Ill do some in the evening instead. I'll have to look into the older posts as 'susanw53' suggested. What is the 'normal' time frame for doing these? This should be interesting.
luvkoala5373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:50 AM   #22
Junior LCF Member

OKKKKaaayyy Just finished another session of 10/10 that makes it 2 for this month ... for those who don't know me that's huge!!! lol

I'm so dedicated to callanetics in my BRAIN but transforming it into actually doing it is the biggest challenge for me...

Anyway this is April, time for Spring, Time for Renewal and I have prayed that God continues to give me the grace to keep on keepin on!!! Love ya'll

BTW it feels soooooo good... I feel stretched. My blood is pumping and I actually broke a sweat!! Yay!!!

Have a blessed day!!!
Old 04-02-2014, 11:14 AM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: quiklos
This place is hopping! Yay!

luvkoala! You can do them anytime of the day, if that's what you were asking? Good luck!

back, qpdoll I also remember you from the archives!

Partyof7, you can do this ... as long as you are 100% okay with whatever your body can do right now!!! Pat yourself on the back for what you can do; don't "should" yourself about what you can't do right now. In Beginning Callanetics, she starts the students at much fewer reps (most start at 25, working up to 100 ... I think I started myself at 10 ); and she modifies the exercises to a level that just about anyone can do (so try out the excellent suggestions from susanw). Heck, in the archives, some people skipped certain exercises entirely at the beginning for injury-prone areas until they built up their strength (yeah, I did that too ). You can break up sessions like the AM/PM dvd or into even smaller groups of exercises to do throughout the day. I know it sounds like it would take forever to get in shape this way, but it really doesn't. A few weeks in, and you'll be amazed at what your body can do and what it's starting to look like. The main thing is to stay in the game!!!

susanw, I say do the drill sargent thing with Dale!

Today was 1/8 for me. Have a good day!
quiklos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:20 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

In_waves,

I actually downloaded it this morning. It was $9.99 on iTunes and It's about 35 minutes long. I did find it quite helpful but there's nothing new in the video that's not in the book. It's just an in depth explanation of each of the exercises in 10 years younger. It talks about the proper alignments, form, and benefits of each exercise and what you should feel during each exercise. It also talks about common mistakes for each. It's not a workout but I did practice along with each exercise to focus on proper form and I really enjoyed it. I would recommend it to anyone interested in callanetics.

Just finished hour 1/4 of 10 in 10. Yay a quarter of the way to my goal for the month already

Last edited by ThinAsAPin; 04-02-2014 at 11:22 AM.. Reason: Quoted the wrong person initially. Wow pregnancy brain
Old 04-02-2014, 11:26 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Congratulations on pregnancy, Thin!! What a blessing

I did the AM session again this morning. I just modified away. I feel pretty good. So good I ordered super callanetics, quick buns, and 10/10. Yes, I am a bit optimistic.
Thank you Quik and every one! hugs!
Old 04-02-2014, 11:34 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Partyof7!

Susan, I finally figured out how to change my avatar yay! I don't know what you're doing wrong but my problem was that I was actually trying to change my profile pic as apposed to my avatar.

My new avatar was taken about a month before getting pregnant. I was around 135 lbs in this pic. I'm almost 170 now with 5 weeks to go! I can't wait to have my body back all to myself again lol. Getting married on July 4th. I'd love to back to my pre pregnancy shape, I could care less about what the scale says. I'm more concerned with how I'll look on my wedding night
Old 04-02-2014, 03:01 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

I just wanted to add that during my session today I only completed about a quarter of the reps of each exercise, at most, and for the ab exercises I just did basic pelvic tilts instead. I did what I felt strong enough to do and I am so pleased with that! So even if you have difficulty starting out, don't get discouraged. Just do what you can do and you will be amazed by how fast you grow stronger and progress with this.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:16 PM   #28
Junior LCF Member

Thanks Quiklos....glad to be back!!!!!!

Partyof7 ... that is GREAT!!! Your gonna do awesome!!!

ThinAsAPin ... Hats off to you for doing this while you are pregnant!! What an inspiration. Great Job and keep it up, and according to Callan your delivery will be so smooth!!!

Looking forward to another session tomorrow...hopefully!

Goodnight

Last edited by qpdoll; 04-02-2014 at 07:22 PM..
Old 04-02-2014, 08:39 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Thank you Qp...Have a beautiful work out tomorrow. Even if it starts out sucky, stick it through
Old 04-03-2014, 06:57 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinAsAPin View Post
Thanks Partyof7!

Susan, I finally figured out how to change my avatar yay! I don't know what you're doing wrong but my problem was that I was actually trying to change my profile pic as apposed to my avatar.

My new avatar was taken about a month before getting pregnant. I was around 135 lbs in this pic. I'm almost 170 now with 5 weeks to go! I can't wait to have my body back all to myself again lol. Getting married on July 4th. I'd love to back to my pre pregnancy shape, I could care less about what the scale says. I'm more concerned with how I'll look on my wedding night
Thank you so much. I can't believe how dense my brain can be about tech matters some times. I'm certain you will regain that wonderful shape again.