LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2014, 08:35 PM   #181
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maximumdensity
Stats: 183/150/130ish
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Feb/2014
Susan,
sounds like some good thoughts and prayers your way are in order.
Best Wishes
maximumdensity is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2014, 05:04 AM   #182
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susanw53
Stats: 238.9/195.2/155
WOE: Just sensible control
Start Date: Callanetics, 7/98, restart 5/2013
Good morning fellow pulsers. I slept like a baby. It will be even better when his incisions stop hurting, but after a week and a half sleeping without him it was bliss to have him there again.

It's a gorgeous, sunny day in The Burgh. I'm looking forward to a lovely session of pulsing later in the morning.

Thank you all again for the prayerful support. You all helped me be the rock he and Rachel,needed me to be.
susanw53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:35 PM   #183
Major LCF Poster!

10/12 April

This had to be one of my all time best sessions. Some days you fall into a groove and today was mine. I got enhanced lengthening, incredible focus, increased range of motion with each movement, working more slowly and with deep focus; all along the line it was one sweet time.

Things I've finally figured out how to get my body to do on command:

- melt the hips while doing the Waist Stretch
- relax the abs down towards the spine during abs
- when doing side rotations during waving abs keep the pelvis and legs completely stable and making the rotation come only from the mid back (I've also begun this little flick of the hand out to the side as you begin the rotation back to the front. When you rotate to the side the hand is verticle. As you begin rotating back to front flick the hand out and extending through the middle finger and letting the hand go horizontal.)
- keep the ribs consistently relaxed and down
- keep the weight into the heels and the pelvis over the ankles most of the time, and I'm amazed at how much difference this makes
- do leg movements high up on the toes, knees together or in wide stance, without shaking like a leaf (much more stability now)
- super smooth pelvic rotations (I actually get excited about them now )
- Crossover without shoulders or ribs moving from their relaxed position flat to the floor
- rotations, rotations, rotations; I am in love with rotations
- relaxing the muscle I'm training (I never thought I'd learn this but I did )

These were all things I started out doing with limited flexibility and questionable technique. Through strong focus and study I have steadily improved my technique and worked diligently on the "relaxed and effortless" approach. So worth the time invested. My next progress photos will be in 3 weeks. Between now and then my instructor is introducing a workout focusing on the lower body and I'm excited to learn something new.

Regardless of which approach you are using, be that 10/10, Evo, AM/PM or any of the other sources, try to approach each and every movement with a focus that recognizes the targeted part of the body and trains you to relax all the larger, superficial muscles. Feel for the target group and relax even more as you lengthen along the counter extensions. Pulse from there. The stronger your positioning the smaller your pulse will be and that's what you're shooting for.

Must go and fix dinner. Happy pulsing all.

Last edited by susanw53; 04-25-2014 at 04:37 PM.. Reason: Format issue
Old 04-25-2014, 07:13 PM   #184
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: callangirl
Stats: 255/140/135
Start Date: July 3, 2012
10 sessions so far...
callangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 02:50 PM   #185
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: quiklos
Yay, 8/8!

See you all next month!
quiklos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 06:56 PM   #186
Major LCF Poster!

Evolving Thoughts on Working with the Upper Arms

Upper Body Intensification April 26, 2014
Evolving Thoughts on Working with the Upper Arms

My Callanetics focus this month has been intensifying work with the upper body. I've been introduced to new variations of the Upper Arm Tightener which has made me rethink my entire approach to this area of the body and its significance to optimal breathing and overall health. Add to that my evolving awareness of the importance of a strong and balanced diaphragm/psoas/illiacus grouping and April has been a remarkable month for me. I'm equally excited by both areas of progress but it's the arms I want to talk about here.

THE ROTATION IS ALL ABOUT EXTENSION

One of the keys to success with the Underarm Tightener and all of the variations to this movement is the ability to extend right out through the middle fingers as well as extending simultaneously through the heels and the crown. I cannot emphasize this concept enough. Grow comfortable with these counter extensions until it all becomes second nature. Don't worry about being perfect, just keep thinking it through and allow your body to catch up to the image in its own time.

In order to get the extension you need, begin by getting into Callanetics alignment which includes completely relaxing the scapula. In class we always think "... relax the shoulder blades down the back and widen them out." The extension through the fingertips begins with that subtle outward 'push' of the scapula towards the fingers as you think "widen them out".

Let's talk a moment about the difference between 'extending' and 'reaching'. Reaching is something that typically involves many larger muscles. Extending is a relaxed lengthening that is accomplished as much mentally as physically. Incidentally, your brain doesn't know the difference between what is real and what you tell it. It will believe what you tell it every time. So you think "lengthen" and envision it happening, and before you know it your body is doing just that. It works like that with the entire program. See it clearly and watch your body find its way there. Focused relaxation and controlled pulsing.

Back to my point. Extending involves the muscles closest to the skeleton and, in true Callanetics fashion, requires no tension to be accomplished. You are lengthened but not tense. Play with the difference for a couple minutes. You'll see what I mean. When you think "reach" lots of tension begins to build as you try real hard to reach further. Now try "extend" and let your bones and muscles simply slip out along the envisioned counter extensions that run through the center of you.

As you're improving your extension technique you're also training the forward rotation of the arms. Again, think upper arm work. Your initial rotation is at the shoulder joint, without lifting the shoulders AT ALL. When the shoulders begin to lift stop, relax the scapula down and out, let the ribs relax back down, release any tension in the neck as you float up through the crown, and try to rotate the arms a bit more. Reminding yourself that the lower arms, wrists and hands stay relaxed, let the lower arms flow through with the rotation, feeling the lovely stretch in the upper arms that brings about. Now you're ready to bring the arms to the back or into whatever position your movement choice requires.

This concept of extension without tension is applicable to every movement in the program. The extension allows for increased rotation and brings about increased flow of energy, oxygen, water and nutrients to the area you are working. Internal lengthening also encourages speedy removal of any toxins created as a result of all that pulsing going on. Increased extension helps to keep the scapula relaxed and down. When you extend out, the scapulae naturally want to relax down.

This is how one manages to extend the arms behind you during the Underarm Tightener, lifting up as high as is comfortable, and keep the lower arms, wrists and hands relaxed. With this movement it's the upper arms we target so let them take the whole load. But it's the counter extension concept that allows you to relax for maximum pulsing effect.

Deeper relaxation + Greater extension + Better rotation = More Dramatic Results

With Callanetics you have all the control, and eventually you learn that being gentle and learning to relax more are the best ways to achieve your goals.

Happy pulsing all.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:32 PM   #187
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: callangirl
Stats: 255/140/135
Start Date: July 3, 2012
Thanks Susan for the exquisite description concerning the Underarm Tightener. Copied & Pasted...

Good going, Quiklos!

Welcome to all the newbies!

Keep on keeping on everybody!
callangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:07 AM   #188
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: taylor21
Stats: 225/147/140 5'9" 56 y/o
WOE: LC/NK
Newbie here. I just got my AM/PM DVD, have done both and love it! Will be in next months challenge.
taylor21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:15 PM   #189
Major LCF Poster!

11/12 April

Looking back on the month I am astounded that I am on course to actually meet my goal this month. I must be getting better with age.

Dale's labs came back all good news. We are out of the woods and beginning that sweet walk across the meadow. Our goal is to get him strong enough to walk along the river again. He has no pain in his legs, the first that has been the case in over five years. My intent is to quickly get him started on Callanetics (as soon as we have clearance) and create enough openness and flow inside him to avoid any chance of a repeat of this blockage. Now that he's pain free he's actually looking forward to it.

I started off everything with my Daily Stretches and let myself be mindful enough that it took an hour to do what I normally complete in 20 minutes. I did more reps of each movement and then if I recognized any areas of tension I kept up the reps until I had figured out how to let the tension release. In this manner I managed to find ways to clear up 4 tense areas I'd been working on for months. In the end it was all about relaxing into a better extension. I found myself applying my thoughts from that post and getting unprecedented results. I believe I'm learning something significant here. I carried that mindful attitude about extensions and rotations into my Callanetics session.

After all that crisis mode I needed a session as much for the spiritual benefit as for the physical. When I do this type of session it usually has a theme and I decided that a bevy of rotations was called for. I needed to wring all that tension out. So I planned on a Callanetics Free-flow session where the theme was A Celebration Of Rotations. The only goal was to hit all the main groups with as many rotations as I could pack in. Having the option of using the rotational corkscrew pulse introduced in Evo gave each pulse the potential of becoming a rotation as well. It was a wickedly good time and I feel great.

I know my body has never felt like this before. Even at my smallest in college I never had curves like this, regardless of the fact that I still have 50 lbs to lose. Good stuff here guys. With consistent practice this is a guarantee.

So here I am smaller than when I began this morning. Stronger than I was yesterday. Feeling taller, leaner, calmer and more peaceful as my day moves along. Life is sweet.

Taylor21. We look forward to having you join us in our celebration of Callanetics. Feel free to ask anything. There are many caring and passionate voices enjoying this challenge.

Happy pulsing all.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:26 PM   #190
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maximumdensity
Stats: 183/150/130ish
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Feb/2014
Hi All,
my DVD's arrived today. I am going to go and preview the beginners tonight and start tomorrow. I tied a palates video while I was waiting, I may watch Callenetic twice before I try, I have a terrible time trying to watch and get the right position...I was never doing the same thing at the same time the video was. Like a turtle stuck on it's back :P

Susan it sounds like all is on the upswing for you...so glad!

Well I'm off to watch the Beginnner's Callenetics......I'll check in after i"ve given it a go....
maximumdensity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:30 AM   #191
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: loubylou66
10 hours down! results...

Hi everyone,

just thought I would check in with my 10 hours results.

For those who have joined, it really, really works. Check this out.

arm - from 30cm to 28.5cm (loss of 1.5 cm or 3/4 inch)
bust - from 106cm to 102cm (loss of 4cm or 2 inches)
waist from 94 cm to 89cm (loss of 5cm or 2.5inches)
hip 107cm to 105cm loss of 2cm or 1 inch)
thigh from 58cm to 55cm (loss of 3cm or 1.5 inches)

I have a small bum, but carry nearly all of my weight around the middle, so a 5cm loss from that area is miraculous as it is normally so resistant to being shifted. My weight hasn't altered at all, which is a bit of a disappointment, but I am still working on that. With all my medical issues, its a real battle not to pile on the weight. Although it looks like I am losing my bust a little too fast, they have actually begun to perk up. I have high hopes that if I keep the callanetics up they might even reside upon my chest once more!

Long live callanetics bring on the May challenge

good luck everyone
loubylou66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:39 AM   #192
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mandyw
WOE: low carb
Been awhile

Hey Everyone, I was on here for a couple of months last year,but got off track,so trying to start again. First let me say to Susan,wow a big change in your current pic!Great job.Also another question, I found the online streaming callantics site(the one that did the Evolution dvds).Don't know if I'am supposed to not talk about it or not? Hope everyone has a great day! Mandy
mandyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:18 AM   #193
Major LCF Poster!

12/12 April

After getting home last night from a day of bus travel to and from the doctor I treated myself to a 30 minute shorter but challenging session to get in my 12th session and meet my goal for the month. Added to an extended session of the Daily Stretch it took me over an hour to complete. All in all a good month's work.

Well done all.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:20 AM   #194
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyw View Post
Hey Everyone, I was on here for a couple of months last year,but got off track,so trying to start again. First let me say to Susan,wow a big change in your current pic!Great job.Also another question, I found the online streaming callantics site(the one that did the Evolution dvds).Don't know if I'am supposed to not talk about it or not? Hope everyone has a great day! Mandy
Good for you Mandy. The agreement we make with LCF is not to promote someone's business on their threads. Enough said.

It's so good to have you back. Will you be joining us on the next challenge?
Old 05-01-2014, 09:26 AM   #195
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubylou66 View Post
Hi everyone,

just thought I would check in with my 10 hours results.

For those who have joined, it really, really works. Check this out.

arm - from 30cm to 28.5cm (loss of 1.5 cm or 3/4 inch)
bust - from 106cm to 102cm (loss of 4cm or 2 inches)
waist from 94 cm to 89cm (loss of 5cm or 2.5inches)
hip 107cm to 105cm loss of 2cm or 1 inch)
thigh from 58cm to 55cm (loss of 3cm or 1.5 inches)

I have a small bum, but carry nearly all of my weight around the middle, so a 5cm loss from that area is miraculous as it is normally so resistant to being shifted. My weight hasn't altered at all, which is a bit of a disappointment, but I am still working on that. With all my medical issues, its a real battle not to pile on the weight. Although it looks like I am losing my bust a little too fast, they have actually begun to perk up. I have high hopes that if I keep the callanetics up they might even reside upon my chest once more!

Long live callanetics bring on the May challenge

good luck everyone
Way to go.

They really are akin to miraculous aren't they? Who would have thought that learning to relax and work focused and controlled could have this effect? We would! You stick with us loubylou66. The excitement is just beginning.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:33 AM   #196
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: loubylou66
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanw53 View Post
Way to go.

They really are akin to miraculous aren't they? Who would have thought that learning to relax and work focused and controlled could have this effect? We would! You stick with us loubylou66. The excitement is just beginning.
you got that right Susan! I am so excited about the rapid changes and even though I know I haven't altered the number on the scales, I can feel one hell of a lot less flesh around the middle. I really can't wait to see your next photos either, because I just keep going over them all and it's your transformation that has spurred me on thus far. I can't wait to see what I will look like in 12 months time. . . and the ridiculous thing is, that it isn't stressful exercise at all so long as you relax down throughout and keep checking your tense levels and letting go of all the muscles that have no bearing on the exercise at hand. A miracle indeed

see you in the May challenge
loubylou66 is offline   Reply With Quote