LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2014, 11:24 AM   #151
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susanw53
Stats: 238.9/195.2/155
WOE: Just sensible control
Start Date: Callanetics, 7/98, restart 5/2013
8/12 April

I'm amazed that with all the confusion caused by Dale's surgery I haven't missed a session. I've discovered that early morning may be the optimal time for me. I used to do that back in the early 90's when the children were young and the demands of family life forced it on me and I had forgotten how special and peaceful those early morning hours could be. It means I'll have to find another chunk of the day to catch up on email and virtual responsibilities but that's real doable. It's a great benefit to know that whatever the day throws at you it can't interfere with Callanetics since it's already done.

In the past, when Dale was hospitalized, I was a physical wreck from spending so much time traveling on uncomfortable buses and sitting all day in hard, unyielding hospital chairs. This time, making myself stick to my regular Callanetics practice, not so much. I'm also being mindful to regularly change my body geometry, to work standing at a counter and getting in regular walks. It's surprising how much walking one can get done in a large hospital. The first floor is a maze of long, open hallways that offer you the option of also running up and down some stairs. How much I've changed over the past year. The result of all this effort is much more relaxation through the upper back in particular. Thank goodness I do Callanetics.

Dale is in so much pain. He has a high tolerance for pain meds and the staff is understandably leery about giving him too much narcotics. He deals with it so quietly. It just hurts to know how bad it really is. They snaked the tube down his entire left side, across the abdomen and into both legs. He's a mass of bruises. The dialysis they do here is substandard to what we use at home and is interfering with his labs in a serious way. He hasn't been able to eat for almost 48 hours, which I find concerning. I'm anxious to get him home ASAP so we can get him stabilized again. All things considered his attitude is excellent. We've managed to get in some nice laughs already this morning. Maybe that goal of going home tomorrow IS achievable. I can feel the support of all that prayerful energy.

Happy pulsing all.
susanw53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2014, 09:41 PM   #152
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: quiklos
susanw, your fortitude during these trying times is admirable and your perserverance puts me to shame! As soon as I finished reading your post, I got on the floor and did my session after days of putting it off. Also ... I know you must be doing these "late night readings" due to insomnia from worry or whatnot, but I'm enjoying them -- it almost feels like listening to a quiet radio show late at night. Take care, and I send you hopes and prayers for Dale's speedy recovery.

Today was 6/8 for me.
quiklos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 01:38 PM   #153
Major LCF Poster!

Happy Easter to all who celebrate the resurrection.

We're hoping to take Dale home tomorrow. They cut down on his pain meds so he can wake up longer than 30 seconds. If we can get him up and moving it enhances his discharge possibilities. A week is too long to be hospitalized. He hasn't been able to eat much for the past week so he's really weak. He needs home cooking and uninterrupted sleep.

quiklos I'm glad you were motivated. It's the consistency that makes it work. I'm glad you enjoy the late night reading posts. I enjoyed leaving them and was thinking last night that I should make it a regular event. It feels like saying a loving goodnight to you all.

The sunshine break felt nice. This hospital has a peaceful zen garden right outside the front door. It's a lovely escape from the rooms and chaos in the halls.

Happy pulsing all.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:06 PM   #154
Major LCF Poster!

Late night readings

Waxing a little philosophical tonight.

I remember reading somewhere that you could make an argument for looking at the fascial net that fills all the space inside you not taken up by organs and bones as a crystalline structure because of the way it sends messages instantaneously though the entire system. That got me to thinking about how a crystalline structure would create an harmonic tone under the right conditions. I spent the last hour running through my Anatomy Trains book looking for the reference. I got lost in lots of other fascinating information but haven't found that reference yet. Must have been one of those times I was randomly wandering through the book. I need to relearn study skills.

I'm thinking of learning to work with mind maps, but I digress.

When I got to thinking about this it brought back the story of a healer who practiced in the early 1900s who would put his ear to the chest and listen for the tone. Then he would place his hands on each side of the body and tune them to a healthier tone.

That's kind of the way I think about Callanetics. We are gradually and lovingly retuning our bodies to their natural "tone". Callanetics gently remottles the fibers of the fascia, in some cases actually changing the ratios of the fibers that are the groundwork of the fascia to unblock areas of congestion, creating the openness that allows freer "flow". That enhanced flow creates a healthier environment that would naturally result in smoother and faster communications throughout the body. That would be the "healthy tone" of the body. I think it's possible everyone has their own tone and each is probably remarkably individual from others. The gentle pulsing of these lovely movements is tuning us towards health.

Happy pulsing all.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:41 AM   #155
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ouida
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanw53 View Post
Waxing a little philosophical tonight.

I remember reading somewhere that you could make an argument for looking at the fascial net that fills all the space inside you not taken up by organs and bones as a crystalline structure because of the way it sends messages instantaneously though the entire system. That got me to thinking about how a crystalline structure would create an harmonic tone under the right conditions. I spent the last hour running through my Anatomy Trains book looking for the reference. I got lost in lots of other fascinating information but haven't found that reference yet. Must have been one of those times I was randomly wandering through the book. I need to relearn study skills.

I'm thinking of learning to work with mind maps, but I digress.

When I got to thinking about this it brought back the story of a healer who practiced in the early 1900s who would put his ear to the chest and listen for the tone. Then he would place his hands on each side of the body and tune them to a healthier tone.

That's kind of the way I think about Callanetics. We are gradually and lovingly retuning our bodies to their natural "tone". Callanetics gently remottles the fibers of the fascia, in some cases actually changing the ratios of the fibers that are the groundwork of the fascia to unblock areas of congestion, creating the openness that allows freer "flow". That enhanced flow creates a healthier environment that would naturally result in smoother and faster communications throughout the body. That would be the "healthy tone" of the body. I think it's possible everyone has their own tone and each is probably remarkably individual from others. The gentle pulsing of these lovely movements is tuning us towards health.

Happy pulsing all.
Now all of the above, this information right here, is truly remarkable. What you have written is very profound and resonated with me. Keep 'waxing philosophicall', susanw, because it's giving us ALL the capacity and opportunity to create our own, individual shine.
Ouida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:15 AM   #156
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouida View Post
Now all of the above, this information right here, is truly remarkable. What you have written is very profound and resonated with me. Keep 'waxing philosophicall', susanw, because it's giving us ALL the capacity and opportunity to create our own, individual shine.
Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:04 PM   #157
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: loubylou66
5 hours in

Hi all,

Susan, I am glad that your husband pulled through his surgery and pray that he improves further once he is home. I am truly amazed that you managed to carry on with your exercise regimen. I hope that everyone is as motivated by your attitude as I am... you really are bewildering.

I managed 4 hours of Callanetics last week and retook my measurements

lost 2cm off the chest, 1cm off the waist, 1cm off the hips and 0.5cm off the arm - that is incredible!

what is even more incredible is that the unexplained urge to stand with an excessively arched back has all but disappeared and the excruciating back pain no longer keeps me awake at night.

As we say in Yorkshire, 'GET IN!'
loubylou66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:11 PM   #158
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: in_waves
Stats: 177/177/130
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March 25, 2014
Hi Everyone! Somehow got unsubscribed from this thread, sorry for my absence! I have been trying to keep up with my goal but did fall behind, ended up getting a UTI and the flu this month, but am still going strong and should get in 3 more this week, coming in at 12 for the month.

I have a question for I think susanw, or anyone that might have experience doing this. I remember that someone here made their own callanetics studio at home -- I am trying to get my boyfriend to make me a barre so I can stop using the back of a chair. What height did you make yours? I am thinking of doing maybe 2 bars, one at 3ft and one at 3.5ft -- I'm 30 and around 5'6", fairly flexible, and I want to be able to accommodate growing flexibility Loooove callanetics!
in_waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:22 PM   #159
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubylou66 View Post
Hi all,

Susan, I am glad that your husband pulled through his surgery and pray that he improves further once he is home. I am truly amazed that you managed to carry on with your exercise regimen. I hope that everyone is as motivated by your attitude as I am... you really are bewildering.

lost 2cm off the chest, 1cm off the waist, 1cm off the hips and 0.5cm off the arm - that is incredible!

what is even more incredible is that the unexplained urge to stand with an excessively arched back has all but disappeared and the excruciating back pain no longer keeps me awake at night.

F.A.B.U.L.O.U.S!!!!!!
Old 04-21-2014, 08:22 PM   #160
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubylou66 View Post
Hi all,

There you go. Callanetics in action. I am sooooo proud of you.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:38 PM   #161
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_waves View Post
Hi Everyone! Somehow got unsubscribed from this thread, sorry for my absence! I have been trying to keep up with my goal but did fall behind, ended up getting a UTI and the flu this month, but am still going strong and should get in 3 more this week, coming in at 12 for the month.

I have a question for I think susanw, or anyone that might have experience doing this. I remember that someone here made their own callanetics studio at home -- I am trying to get my boyfriend to make me a barre so I can stop using the back of a chair. What height did you make yours? I am thinking of doing maybe 2 bars, one at 3ft and one at 3.5ft -- I'm 30 and around 5'6", fairly flexible, and I want to be able to accommodate growing flexibility Loooove callanetics!
You want the barre to be close to the point where your femur meets the pelvis. You can go a bit higher but not any lower. For most people this is around 36-42". If you google it you can find sites that sell floor mounted ones and that will give you a good measurement for height. I invested the $150 and bought a floor mounted one after trying to come up with a cheaper model. It was the best $150 I spent last year. Mine is a single 36" high and 4' long and it has proven sufficient for all my Callanetics needs. If you go with both heights and 6' long you might be able to entice your boyfriend to join you. Just saying.

I also bought inexpensive mirrors from Target. My flooring is a combination of six sections of the interlocking rubber mats they sell for workshops with a yoga mat on top, all just set on top of the room's carpeting. I can't say enough about how wonderful it is to have this dedicated space.

Good luck with your own special space.

Happy pulsing.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:55 PM   #162
Major LCF Poster!

Dale is home

I finally got Dale free from the hospital. It took all day and I had to be incredibly firm and obnoxious at times (tempered with compliments about the exemplary care he received - we need to be kind even when we need to be overpowering ) but at long last he is home.

Thank you all for being a big part of my emotional and prayerful support through this trying time. Maybe I'm getting older. Maybe it's Callanetics keeping me calm. I know part of it was feeling all that spiritual outpouring. I got through this critical time much smoother than any previous event, which says a lot because two years ago Dale was hospitalized 7 times in a year. After a week of sitting all day in hard, unyielding chairs my body feels no worse for wear. Normally I would feel nearly crippled with stiffness and pain. It was an unexpected pleasure to avoid all of that. Loving these pulses.

I can't wait to roll onto that mat tomorrow morning and work the kinks out again. I love the way my body sings with pleasure following a good workout of Callanetics.

Happy pulsing all.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:40 AM   #163
Senior LCF Member

susanw, Congratulations on getting your precious, sweet man back home where he can continue to be ensconced in your nurturing arms and supported by your love.

Bravo to you as you have received a double blessing.

The first is of course, your man at home. The second pertains to you specifically. You have a definitive point of reference from which to compare and view your progress within the context of Callanetics. Beyond a shadow of a doubt, you have seen that doing Callanetics (for the benefit of yourself,) has fortified you to the point that you are able to face whatever may come, with grace, quiet strength and a deep confidence and assurance. This is proven.

I often see you mention that you want to be a teacher of Callanetics in the future. You already teach, with each and every post.

The reality is: You be it, you do it, then you have it. In my mind, you are a Callanetics teacher. You're my teacher. You and Jigglebuster are the main reasons I joined this site.

To All, I've read most of the Callanetics threads on this site. I believe I even found a sweet tidbit of a thread from 2008. The interesting thing is that the meaning and the impact of them change after you, yourself, have had a personal experience. I don't track my process monthly, I like to do it cumulatively. Yet and still, as I progress and rack up my Callanetic sessions and hours, I continue to revisit old threads and posts. EVERY time, something else jumps out or I better recognize the depth of something 'new' and continue to have these aha! moments. The more experience I get with Callanetics, the better I understand and the more I appreciate the suggestions and experiences that other people have posted, previous to myself.

Lastly, I am very short. I was in the bookstore recently, reading the titles of some books on the top shelf. In order to see, I had to stand on my tippy toes. I had been standing on tip toe for about 2-3 minutes before I realized what I was doing. Prior to Callanetics, my toes and feet would have been on fire after about 20 seconds.I KNOW that this new tippy toe strength and endurance is from Callanetics, specifically the strength building leg exercises in 10/10 which eat me alive every time I do them.

Then, there were some book titles on a shelf to the far right, below my waist that I wanted to read. Instead of moving, I leaned over to the right with the upper part of my body, stuck out my left leg to the side, holding it in the air for balance, and read like that for a minute or two. That's because I was too "lazy" to walk over to the right to be closer to the shelf.

Even if I can't "see" a perfectly tight and toned body, I can definitely tell that I am gaining strength and power. Instead of regretting that I didn't come to Callanetics sooner, I relish in the fact that I have discovered it at this point in time and can savour and enjoy the benefits of it from now on. I very am grateful for Callanetics and for the support that you all provide.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:58 PM   #164
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Partyof7
Stats: 41 pounds down (with LC IF), 102 more to lose.
Start Date: March 16th 2014 reset:12/1/14
Love to you Susan <3
Partyof7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:10 PM   #165
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: shamrockcb
Hi everyone! I just started Callanetics a few weeks ago and am hoping to see results at some point. I should have measured before I started (woops) but I am really enjoying the workouts and feel the pain after so hopefully it's working! I had to do a persuasive speech back in college almost 20 years ago and it was based on how successful Callanetics was for me. I decided to try it again and and I look forward to sharing experiences on here!
shamrockcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:36 PM   #166
Major LCF Poster!

ouida great post. I can feel the excitement.

Partyof7 those are excellent and attainable goals and I love that they are so specifically yours.

Back in the ER with Dale. His blood pressure was ridiculously low and he was disoriented. No answers yet. We got one good night at home and I even got some real food into him. Staying positive.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:35 PM   #167
Junior LCF Member

7/8 done.

shamrockcb! I'm eager to hear about your Callanetics experiences and hope you have the same great results as you had before.

loubylou, great results!! I'm very excited for you.

ouida, the picture in my head of you in a bookstore gave me a giggle! It made me nostalgic too as I haven't been in a bookstore in ages. Callentics is great for us shorter women as it gives the body a lovely long, lean line.

susanw, oh gosh ... I hope everything is ok. Hugs and prayers, hugs and prayers.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:47 PM   #168
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Partyof7
Stats: 41 pounds down (with LC IF), 102 more to lose.
Start Date: March 16th 2014 reset:12/1/14
Susan, I sure hope every thing is all right...Take care (hugs)

I did 3/12 yesterday. Today I am aiming for 4/12. having the print off helps so much! I can do bits and pieces throughout the day.
Partyof7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:32 PM   #169
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Susan179
Stats: Weight 155
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Nov. 1, 2013
Susan57, Praying for you and Dale.
Susan179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:05 PM   #170
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maximumdensity
Stats: 183/150/130ish
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Feb/2014
Hi All,
I saw this post and had no idea what Callanetics were and I am soon to find out...I just ordered two DVD's. Thank you for the motivation! I really hate to sweat so I hope I can do it without sweating.....

maximumdensity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:09 PM   #171
Senior LCF Member

Hi All,
I came across this post and had no idea what Callantics were, but I soon will, i ordered 2 DVD's. So thank you for the motivation ( I really do hate to sweat ). We'll see.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:11 PM   #172
Senior LCF Member

Crazy... technology and I do not get along......
Old 04-23-2014, 09:12 PM   #173
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrockcb View Post
Hi everyone! I just started Callanetics a few weeks ago and am hoping to see results at some point. I should have measured before I started (woops) but I am really enjoying the workouts and feel the pain after so hopefully it's working! I had to do a persuasive speech back in college almost 20 years ago and it was based on how successful Callanetics was for me. I decided to try it again and and I look forward to sharing experiences on here!
shamrockcb. So good to have a new poster to share the joy of Callanetics with. I'm going to assume that pain you speak of is the discomfort of your bones and muscles gently moving themselves back into proper alignment because we don't do pain here. By now you are definitely feeling the magic of Callanetics so I wouldn't worry so much about those measurements. Not a big fan of them myself. I'm more interested in how quickly you find yourself yet another size down because that's the real indicator of the effectiveness of these lovely, gentle pulses and stretches.

Your post implies that you had taken an extended break. I'd be interested in your perspective of your body's initial response to the return. I always found myself amazed at how easily my body would fall right back into the positions. Knowing what I've recently learned about technique and variety it's absurd to imagine my life without them anymore. Consistent practice has benefitted me physically, mentally and emotionally. Enough said.

It will be a pleasure and a privilege to share in your journey.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:33 PM   #174
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximumdensity View Post
Crazy... technology and I do not get along......
Your sense of humor is delightful.

Welcome maximumdensity. We are so pleased you have chosen to share your venture into the wonder of Callanetics with us. The supportive and caring voices of this thread will do all we can to help the introductory stage go smoothly and to keep you excited and motivated enough to continue on. Consistent practice of Callanetics will, in time, restore your muscular system to optimal health, gently move your bones back into natural alignment and maximal bio mechanical advantage, and sculpt your body to snugly hug your bones while strengthening your body overall and boosting your confidence. So we're pretty excited.

There is only one movement I'm aware of in my personal repertoire that consistently makes me sweat a little so I think your good there, provided you seek to train yourself to work "relaxed and effortless". The position isolates the muscle and the pulse trains it. Now, do these movements in a warm and humid environment and all bets are off. When I first learned Callanetics We lived in a house without any air conditioning and you could wring my clothes out when I finished but my body was so thrilled with the workout I didn't care about the sweat. That's why God invented washing machines and hot running water.

Feel free to ask anything. We look forward to sharing in your journey.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:48 PM   #175
Major LCF Poster!

9/12 April

9/12 now complete. Yesterday morning Dale had what I suspected was either a mild cardiac event or internal bleeding so back to the hospital we went. Spent most of the day sitting in the ER before they finally admitted him. Turns out he was severely anemic, to the point of needing a transfusion, and did indeed have that cardiac event. Thankfully there were no signs of internal bleeding but now they're trying to decide whether a heart cath is necessary. We won't know about that until tomorrow. He was so frustrated with me for calling the ambulance, but after speaking with the cardiologist today he finally settled down. This is his third room on this same floor in a week's time. I think he set some sort of record.

I am, surprisingly, calm and peaceful, diligently working away on my iPad in the corner of this chaotic place they call a hospital. I've spent the day trying to make the staff feel good about the job they work so hard to do. It's better than complaining about anything. Callanetics makes you so peaceful. I refuse to believe it's only me.

Obviously, I did not get my regular session in yesterday. It was looking like today would be a wash as well since I was so exhausted from yesterday that I slept in and couldn't take the time for one before I needed to leave for the hospital. So I did the next best thing. I took along my workout shorts, cleared a corner in his private room, put down a couple blankets and pulsed right there in his room. You all would have been proud of me. I knew if I didn't make some kind of effort I was going to be so stiff it would be painful. I even did my Daily Stretches first. I'm so in awe of how those movements so perfectly compliment Callanetics. They're just some simple Feldenkraise movements, chosen for their correlation to the muscle actions we approach in Callanetics and I have to say they may be my secret weapon in achieving these results that are unprecedented in my 25 year flirtation with Callanetics. The benefit of being lengthened internally, stretched and already warmed up before I even begin Callanetics Warm-Ups is invaluable.

Incidentally, don't you sometimes laugh at the idea of these being "Warm Ups"? The Waist Stretch alone is one of the most challenging (and one of the most beneficial) movements in the entire series.

I started out planning to do a shorter version of Callanetics. It was the Daily Stretch that I was most interested in. My cobras were feeling so tight that I knew they would benefit from the inversion and eversion of the feet. Those two movements give the cobras a stretch that I swear makes them sing with joy. For those who don't know, Tom Meyers (of Anatomy Trains fame) describes the grouping that includes the diaphragm, major and minor psoas, and the illiacus as a team of cobras that work together to balance your breathing, your spinal stability and alignment, and your walking gait. I'm pretty sure they are possibly the most significant muscle grouping in the body. They tie the the chest cavity to the torso and then to the lower extremities. It's worth learning to keep them happy and perky and by God they love these movements.

I was feeling so good by then I just continued right into that luscious upper arm focus workout I've become so addicted to. I'll admit, it was a bit strange doing the routine in the corner of a hospital room but by the time I finished my body was so relieved to feel spectacular again. I've appreciated the freedom of movement I've been able to maintain throughout this crazy time in our lives, a bonus brought about by consistent practice. None of the continuous stream of staff that floated in and out as I pulsed thought it strange and I kept thinking "I should offer to lead a class here". LOL! Think of how much the nursing staff could benefit from feeling like we do. It's so hard not to gush about Callanetics.

I'm so tired I'll probably sleep deep and sound tonight. Callanetics may be the best sleep aid out there. I'm sure you know what I mean.

Happy pulsing all. Your loving support is helping to carry us through.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:30 AM   #176
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Amata
Stats: 5'3" getting to slim and healthy
WOE: Fewer and healthier calories
Dear susanw53 - still wishing you and Dale all the best. Love reading about your positive actions - good, kind and positive thoughts and energy just as "contagious" as toxic ones, but I certainly know which I prefer. And I bet hospital staff appreciates being thought of too.
Great to get in your Callanetics that way! You're a rock. :-)
Monique
Amata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:29 AM   #177
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amata View Post
Dear susanw53 - still wishing you and Dale all the best. Love reading about your positive actions - good, kind and positive thoughts and energy just as "contagious" as toxic ones, but I certainly know which I prefer. And I bet hospital staff appreciates being thought of too.
Great to get in your Callanetics that way! You're a rock. :-)
Monique
I agree Monique. The staff all greet me by name when I come in now.

My rock-like quality is a direct result of all the support I receive from the world-wide community of friends I am blessed with.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:37 AM   #178
Major LCF Poster!

Great news. Being discharged.

He's so much more stable this time and much lighter after taking off close to 10 pounds of fluid retention. Life is sweet. Maybe I'll sleep more soundly tonight.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:41 PM   #179
Junior LCF Member

susanw, whew! Glad everything sounds like it's on the mend. Getting in your Callanetics routine in the hospital has me cracking up!

Partyof7, yes! yes! yes!

maximumdensity! Hope you love Callanetics as much as we do!

Happy pulsing everyone!
Old 04-24-2014, 08:32 PM   #180
Senior LCF Member

Thanks so much for the welcomes
DVD's should get here soon -I'll be sure to crank the A/C when the temps rise....