Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > The Exercise Board
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2014, 10:33 AM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Partyof7
Stats: 40 pounds down, 108 more to lose.
WOE: JUDD induc.UD 4/10/14 LC'ish, Calorie awareness
Start Date: March 16th 2014
Susan--- wow! Look at you.
Partyof7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2014, 01:13 PM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Did my first 10/10 - feel great!

2/12 sessions for Month
Old 04-06-2014, 01:23 PM   #63
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ouida
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanw53 View Post
Ouida How Stuff Works has a nice article on How Fat Cells Work that you may find interesting. The stand out points I got were:

- You are born with a certain number of fat cells and somewhere in adolescence that number stabilizes. There are two known circumstances where the body will generate more fat cells; if you are morbidly obese for a long time and if you have liposuction.

- Your fat cells don't go away, they shrink as the fuel stored in them is emptied out for energy use.

When I learned this information it made me even more excited about doing Callanetics. I knew from experience that these gentle pulses were requiring a great increase for energy fuel. I also knew of no other program that would more effectively squeeze those fat cells empty than Callanetics. A win-win situation.
Thanks, susanw53! Oooo weeee! Look at YOU in that new avatar photo! Your neck and throat are soo smooth and tight and just lovely. What an amazing in progress transformation. I hope you are filming/taking video of yourself as well.

I look like I had a fight with the Cellulite Fairy and she sprinkled cellulite dust on my gut and thighs and after she won, she then declared herself, "Champion!"

Sigh... I'm going to celebrate this as progress since things are moving, even though this cellulite was not as prominent before as it is now. That's okay, though. My body is starting to get some pretty lines on the outside of my silhouette. !

I am staying encouraged from all your fabulous successes!

Happy pulsing!
Ouida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:25 PM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ouida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyof7 View Post
Did my first 10/10 - feel great!

2/12 sessions for Month
Congratulations, Partyof7!
Ouida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 02:24 PM   #65
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: callangirl
Stats: 255/144/135
Start Date: July 3, 2012
2 sessions in...

Reptogirl & Minda, it's always good to hang out with fellow callanetics fans.

Susanw - You look marvelous! It's wonderful that your hubby is trying to get the circulation to flow to his feet. I don't know if Dale is one, but diabetics can have major problems with their lower extremities too, if they're not careful.

A member of my church is a diabetic, and gangrene had started to manifest in his big toe. Another member, who happens to be into natural healing, told him about applying a paste of activated charcoal to the toe. She stated how this would bring oxygen to the area, adsorb bacteria, and filter the poison from the blood.

Guess who still have all their lower digits today? He followed her suggestion and his physicians were amazed.

I'll keep your family in my prayers.

Happy Pulsing Everybody...

Last edited by callangirl; 04-06-2014 at 02:32 PM..
callangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 02:42 PM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Excellent Partyof7!

Ouida, we're all on this journey together; as long as we keep progressing we'll get to our destination.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:36 AM   #67
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: qpdoll
Stats: 176/162/138, 5'3",Muscular Med Frame
WOE: Moderate Carbs
Start Date: January 2007
Susan!!!! THANK YOU for such a lovely explanation.. BTW Love the new Avatar even more... I can really see the smoothness in your face and your neck and chin look so tight!!!! woo hoo!!!

The fact is I have never really stayed with the program long enough to obtain full results. I always get good results and then back off like I'm ok now...lets go chow down some more!!! it's a terrible pattern that I'm trying to break this time. Im gonna go drill seargent on myself!

Anyway, I just got the Callantics Evolution DVD and WOW!! I actually love it... I understand what you are saying now about the different way's of pulsing and improvements and counter pulls.... Never knew what that meant before....

I did 1/2 of it yesterday so now that makes my total for April 3 1/2 sessions!!

People are already starting to notice and thinking I lost a lot of weight!! I don't see that but somehow they do!! yay!!!!!

Have an awesome day!! and PULSE away.... The Magic is Happening...

Last edited by qpdoll; 04-07-2014 at 08:37 AM..
qpdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:55 AM   #68
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Minda
Stats: 149/149/125
WOE: ADF
3/12 done! I know the exercises by heart so I don't need the DVD to do them. May do some more abs later on, my lovely problem area!
Minda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:44 PM   #69
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Newjulie
Hi susanw53; I am so happy to have found you all - thanks for starting this Challenge - just what I needed. I would love to join your happy & supportive group! I am particularly interested in anything that will help my upper arms and my middle. I have spent the last few years losing and gaining the same 40 - 60 lbs and at my age, my skin is not happy! Alas, I am currently in an up cycle.

I have done Callenetics in the past but had VHS tapes LOL - I typically favor more dance cardio like Hip Hop Abs or Zumba; but lately I find my ankles talking to me. So just purchased Super Callenetics and Calanetics Evolution. Any recommendations on benefits of either?

I am going to fit in 3 sessions a week so 10 for the rest of April!

I hope all goes well for your DH's surgery.

callangirl, 100 lbs?!?!?! WOW - thats inspirational!
ThinAsAPin - Congrats on your pregnancy and WOW - keeping to an exercise program when most women sit & chow down thru 9 mos is incredible. Good for you! Keeping your core muscles tight will surely give you a great delivery.

Hope we all have a fabulous week! Spring is here & the coats are coming off soon!!!
Newjulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:12 PM   #70
Junior LCF Member

Just completed Tae Bo Basics. Done exercising for the day! Woo hoo!
Old 04-07-2014, 05:38 PM   #71
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Susan179
Stats: Weight 155
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Nov. 1, 2013
After two months of not being able to do anything but walk due to degenerative cartilage in my back and pinched nerves, I am finally back but in slow motion. I received the OK from my physical therapist to go ahead and do Callanetics but start back very slowly. She said I need to go at it slowly and not to do anything to re-injure the back. She doesn't want me lifting any weights for a while and stretch out more. I did a lot of developing exercises to increase back and core strength. I'm hoping Callan can take me the rest of the way. I will be happy to start pulsing again.
Susan179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:52 PM   #72
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: susanw53
Stats: 238.9/195.2/155
WOE: Just sensible control
Start Date: Callanetics, 7/98, restart 5/2013
3/12 April

I must admit I'm loving that new avatar myself. I pulled out past photos to see if I did look 10 years younger and it turns out I look closer to 20 years younger. I posted it on my Facebook page and created a frenzy of interest in Callanetics among friends and family. Maybe one or two of them will take up my invitation to join me in this pursuit of youthfulness.

Today's session was a change from the past three. It's part of my program to mix it up as frequently as I can to keep those muscles guessing so it was time to change gears. I'm so motivated that I made it the most challenging routine in my arsenal and it did not disappoint. Every session I get better at lengthening along the counter extensions and today I had some incredible moments. Most notable was during the One Leg Up abs when I got a great extension through the heel that made it possible to relax the neck and shoulders more and get more extension through the crown. The end result was the ability to pulse with a relaxation level I had not experienced before. I still have to break for a breather during abs, (ok, honestly, many breaks)but I can feel it working deeper so that's to be expected. Sometimes I wonder if there will ever come a time when I get all the way through abs without breathers. I know it will come. I get all the pulses in and that's all I'm really concerned about. Thank goodness for the pause button.

I finally conquered interlocking the fingers, pressing the palms away to the front and raising them over my head. It gets tricky in the early stages because there's a strong tendency to thrust the ribs up as the arms move overhead so you need to consciously keep those lower ribs relaxed and down and making sure the scapulae are relaxed, down the back and widened out as well. I've spent lots of time perfecting keeping the ribs relaxed against the spine. Apparently this is working well. I used this arm position to execute the pelvic rotations and all I can say is Wow! Apparently the fascia in the arms, wrist and upper back is finally beginning to remottle to give greater flexibility. I used to think I was always going to always be that inflexible. Now I understand the fascia better and realize that it will simply take time. I have lots of that.

I'm about a month away from an entire year of consistent Callanetics. I couldn't even tell you how many total sessions it has been, but I can say that this is the most consistent I have been in over 25 years. Typically I would get about 6-7 months in and wander off. One of my primary goals this time was one full year with an average of 2 sessions a week. I believe I will be coming in somewhere around 2.7 sessions a week so I'm pretty pleased. I give much of the credit to this wonderful community of pulsers. Thank you for your support. I still have so far to go before I reach my goal but I'm having so much fun I don't even care how long it takes. I'm in this for life so I'm assured of achieving the goal.

Partyof7, From here on out it gets more exciting every session. Just keep relaxing and stay consistent and you will be amazed. We will be there every step of the way to keep you motivated and answer any questions.

Ouida, that's exciting when things start migrating. It's almost funny the way Callanetics pulls in top down and bottom up with things moving to the front. Eventually things smooth out almost like magic, but those early stages when the earliest signs of your womanly shape become visible are so sweet.

qpdoll, this time we're going to rewrite that script and keep you consistent for life. I know you have it in you. Callanetics has always pulled you back so it's finally time to let it works its magic on you. I'm so thrilled you finally got Evolution. Wonderful isn't it? So many of the movements found their way into my personal routine. I just loved the organic nature of the movements. I learned that they almost named it 3-D Callanetics which would have been very appropriate, in my opinion. Those Angled Leg Lifts have done so much to strengthen my lateral leg and hip rotators that my entire walking gait has never been the same.

It doesn't surprise me that you don't see the changes as others do. Callanetics works so subtly (but consistently) that we almost never see the difference ourselves. I have to share that this morning I caught myself in the mirror and thought "See, there's really no difference". Then I laughed at such absurdity. I think part of what happens is Callanetics pulls the body in with such balance that we don't notice until enough time has passed that we simply can't deny it since we're slipping into smaller and smaller clothes. I guarantee that that beautiful face will be accompanied with a lovely, lean Callanetics body. Just stick with us.

Minda you are amazing. Where do you find the energy?

Callangirl thank you so very much. I will go out tomorrow and find some activated charcoal and start him on it right away. This is exactly what I needed to hear. I knew that it was possible to treat wet gangrene with peroxide and antibiotics to achieve the same result but hadn't been able to find a corresponding approach to dry gangrene. He's sticking with the calf and foot stretches and I can see a difference in skin color already. I remain optimistic that we can effect positive change in his tight, tight body.

Ahhh guys, I so enjoy these talks. Each and every one of you is doing fantastic. Keep it up and your bodies will reward you with better alignment, a happier frame of mind and a body your friends and family will envy.

Happy pulsing all.
susanw53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:03 PM   #73
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan179 View Post
After two months of not being able to do anything but walk due to degenerative cartilage in my back and pinched nerves, I am finally back but in slow motion. I received the OK from my physical therapist to go ahead and do Callanetics but start back very slowly. She said I need to go at it slowly and not to do anything to re-injure the back. She doesn't want me lifting any weights for a while and stretch out more. I did a lot of developing exercises to increase back and core strength. I'm hoping Callan can take me the rest of the way. I will be happy to start pulsing again.
Very gently Susan. There's a book you may want to track down "Callanetics For Your Back" by Callan Pinckney. It's filled with so much information on ways to adapt the program when you have back challenges. She included a plethora of different stretches and heaps of info on avoiding problems as you continue with the pulsing. After all she developed this entire program to treat her own back challenges. I'm sure continuing with Callanetics is an excellent approach. Slowly and gently. Welcome back. We missed you.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:56 PM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newjulie View Post
Hi susanw53; I am so happy to have found you all - thanks for starting this Challenge - just what I needed. I would love to join your happy & supportive group! I am particularly interested in anything that will help my upper arms and my middle. I have spent the last few years losing and gaining the same 40 - 60 lbs and at my age, my skin is not happy! Alas, I am currently in an up cycle.

I have done Callenetics in the past but had VHS tapes LOL - I typically favor more dance cardio like Hip Hop Abs or Zumba; but lately I find my ankles talking to me. So just purchased Super Callenetics and Calanetics Evolution. Any recommendations on benefits of either?

I am going to fit in 3 sessions a week so 10 for the rest of April!

I hope all goes well for your DH's surgery.

callangirl, 100 lbs?!?!?! WOW - thats inspirational!
ThinAsAPin - Congrats on your pregnancy and WOW - keeping to an exercise program when most women sit & chow down thru 9 mos is incredible. Good for you! Keeping your core muscles tight will surely give you a great delivery.

Hope we all have a fabulous week! Spring is here & the coats are coming off soon!!!
Newjulie. Love the user name, by the way. So appropriate for a Callanaddict. Consistent practice of Callanetics (2-3 times a week) will check that upwards tick in your weight and start you on a continuing path of youthful rejuvenation. We like to call it "The Magic of Callanetics". But you already knew that, didn't you?

Super was actually developed as ways to intensify the movements of 10/10, so it's like 10/10 on steroids. I have actually never done the entire DVD, choosing instead to incorporate parts of it into my regular routine as I wanted more challenge.

Evolution is a real prize. It covers the Callanetics Concepts, which are invaluable for ramping up your results. The movements are so wonderfully organic and feel so delightful to execute. I highly recommend it. One caution I must offer. They have you contracting the pelvic floor all through this DVD but we now know that this is not a good practice. Since the DVD was released we've learned that this can lead to overly tight pelvic floor muscles. Overly tight muscles are as much a concern as overly slack muscles. We are working to get the muscles to the proper length, a natural byproduct of consistently pulsing "relaxed and effortless".

So, those of you doing Evolution, (qpdoll, this means you ) please disregard the encouragement to constantly contract the pelvic floor. The only movement in Evolution where this is used now is the Hips and Behind where the legs are stacked, knees bent to the front. After getting into position gently pull the sit bones together to bring the top knee up before pulsing. This action stabilizes the core by contracting the pelvic floor. Aside from that there is no reason to contract the pelvic floor during any other movements. It's all part of evolving the program to incorporate new knowledge about how the body works.

We're happy to have you along for the journey.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:02 PM   #75
Senior LCF Member

ok, this is embarassing, but I must ask.

After 5 kids - maybe some tightening pelvic muscles might do me some good.
Yes/no? lol
Old 04-07-2014, 08:08 PM   #76
Senior LCF Member

Welcome back, Susan179! Take it easy...

Newjulie , so happy you've joined us... Between the 2 DVDs that you've purchased, (someone can correct me if I'm wrong) Evolution seems to be the first one you should use. Super Callanetics is advanced. Many people start with 10/10 to get the basics down. Anyway, that's just my 2 cents.

SusanW, no problem. I just want him to keep his digits. Also to improve your husband's circulation, encapsulated cayenne pepper & wheatgrass juice are known to increase blood flow throughout the body. All and all, nothing beats a failure but a try.

Last edited by callangirl; 04-07-2014 at 08:10 PM..
Old 04-07-2014, 08:16 PM   #77
Senior LCF Member

Oh, Susanw, I didn't know you had answered Newjulie already.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:53 AM   #78
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Amata
Stats: 5'3" getting to slim and healthy
WOE: Fewer and healthier calories
Susanw53, you look absolutely AMAZING! All those consistent and mindful sessions have really paid off!
So glad to read that "just moving" is helping Dale's condition improve, too.

For fear of leaving someone out by mistake, I wish EVERYONE great success and enjoyment with Callanetics. The sessions may start off as some sort of chore for you newbies and the impatient among us , but they feel so good, Callanetics soon become a necessary, but pleasurable way of keeping your body working well and just feeling relaxed, strong and centered. I'm one of those who keep coming back, regretting having left, but once the results make themselves felt (i.e. immediately) and seen (within a few sessions), I'm hooked all over again.

Monique
Amata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:58 AM   #79
Junior LCF Member

Quote:

Yes/no? lol
Hi there, I think Callanetics definitely has its benefits here, but you could check out Christine Kent and her "whole woman" work for more specifics. I don't know if I may post a link, but you'll find her on the internet, I'm sure.
Hope you're all better!
Monique
Old 04-08-2014, 02:51 AM   #80
Senior LCF Member

Thank you Monique! I'm at her site now
Old 04-08-2014, 04:22 AM   #81
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by callangirl View Post
Oh, Susanw, I didn't know you had answered Newjulie already.
You jump in there anytime. The true value of this forum is the multitude of voices. You have so much practical information to share Callangirl, and so much joy of your own to spread around.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:30 AM   #82
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Yes/no? lol
No need for embarrassment here. I assure you that the controlled and focused pulsing of Callanetics will indeed get your pelvic floor muscles to their healthy, proper length. This program is the most effective all over fitness approach I have found in 40 years of searching. It is also the best compliment to any other approach you also choose to follow. The no-impact element makes it perfect for anyone of any age and any physical condition. Callan once taught them to a woman who was paralyzed from the waist down and it improved her body and overall health as well. Nothing like it.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:57 AM   #83
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: qpdoll
Stats: 176/162/138, 5'3",Muscular Med Frame
WOE: Moderate Carbs
Start Date: January 2007
Susan53 - I think I instinctively followed Callan's advice of being light as a feather. She always encouraged NOT to contract any muscle other than the one we were working. So In Evo....I just kept doing what felt right from previous 10/10 experience.. Thank you for confirming this for me!!!!!

NewJulie.....your gonna luv joining in!! It will keep you motivated. Your story sounds similar to mine... I have upper body issues, flabby arms larger upper torso...and so on...and I also love Dancing and Cardio type workouts like Zumba BUT.....I tell you I can jump up and down all day long and don't get the results that I get with Callanetics ....I only practiced 10/10 in the past and just recently discovered Evolution and found I just love it!!! So whatever makes you feel good and feels right just do it!!!

Just completed session 4 for this month....total now 4.5 for April!! yay!!!

Have a blessed day ya'll

Last edited by qpdoll; 04-08-2014 at 04:59 AM..
qpdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:03 AM   #84
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanw53 View Post
No need for embarrassment here. I assure you that the controlled and focused pulsing of Callanetics will indeed get your pelvic floor muscles to their healthy, proper length. This program is the most effective all over fitness approach I have found in 40 years of searching. It is also the best compliment to any other approach you also choose to follow. The no-impact element makes it perfect for anyone of any age and any physical condition. Callan once taught them to a woman who was paralyzed from the waist down and it improved her body and overall health as well. Nothing like it.
and what I forgot to mention, is that Christine Kent's work is "heavy" on posture and alignment...
Monique
Old 04-08-2014, 05:39 AM   #85
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
Minda[/B] you are amazing. Where do you find the energy? Happy pulsing all.
I haven't been able to workout the way I want to for the last 6 months, mainly out of fear. I was diagnosed with a brain aneurysm last October. It's small, only 2mm, so we're just keeping an eye on it. I had my follow up CT last week and there's been no change and no new ones have developed. They told me it's OK to exercise, even though I was scared to. They want me to exercise to keep my blood pressure down so it doesn't affect the aneurysm. So here I am! Ready to get back in shape!

Today when I get home more Callanetics! I'm already feeling thinner!
Old 04-08-2014, 07:18 AM   #86
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minda View Post
I haven't been able to workout the way I want to for the last 6 months, mainly out of fear. I was diagnosed with a brain aneurysm last October. It's small, only 2mm, so we're just keeping an eye on it. I had my follow up CT last week and there's been no change and no new ones have developed. They told me it's OK to exercise, even though I was scared to. They want me to exercise to keep my blood pressure down so it doesn't affect the aneurysm. So here I am! Ready to get back in shape!

Today when I get home more Callanetics! I'm already feeling thinner!
The advice we gave to Susan applies for you as well. Slow. Gentle. Listen closely to your body. The mindfulness of Callanetics will be a good fit for you.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:57 PM   #87
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: reptogirl
Stats: 333.2/317.2/ next weigh in 5/19
WOE: Induction 72
Start Date: March 30 2014
I am up to 1.5 for the month (I was too tired yesterday to do a full one, so I did the PM session-so glad I did) as I was doing the PM I felt like I was a little approved from my first session, and when I feel of my upper thigh it feels like they are larger..which is not true, I think the rest of my thighs have pulled in some already, so it just makes it appear that the other part is larger. Yay for Callanetics !
reptogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:00 PM   #88
Junior LCF Member

4/12 done!

Oh absolutely Susan, that's why I chose Callanetics to start with. At this point I'm over all of the jarring and grunting types of exercise. I need something more gentle. I also have a hip injury that's been haunting me for the past year and a half which I'm in physical therapy for right now.

Slow and steady wins the race.

See you tomorrow!
Old 04-08-2014, 03:48 PM   #89
Senior LCF Member

3 sessions done...

Minda, take care - be gentle...

Hope everyone is doing great today...!
Old 04-08-2014, 07:47 PM   #90
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: quiklos
to all new and returning people. It's great to see so many people getting on board!

reptogirl, great that you're listening to your body.

Ouida and Susan ... more on jiggly fat. I've bookmarked the other link for later reading, and wanted to add this one to the discussion. It caused me to have a lightbulb moment (they're rare, so are important to me, )! I think my error was in thinking that jiggly = fat, so more jiggly = more fat. That link made me see that, in many cases during weight loss, MORE jiggly = LESS fat! It just takes the skin and muscles a little time to catch up.

That was 3/8 for me. Keep up the good work everyone!
quiklos is offline   Reply With Quote