LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2014, 12:54 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susanw53
Stats: 238.9/195.2/155
WOE: Just sensible control
Start Date: Callanetics, 7/98, restart 5/2013
Callanetics Challenge, March 2014

Here we go again, rolling into the Spring season pulsing our hearts out! Join us in the celebration that is Callanetics.

Among the benefits you can anticipate:

Restore your body to fitness with no impact pulsing and stretching.

Gently guide your body back to an alignment that supports skeletal strength.

Sculpt your body into the sleek body suit it was meant to be.

Create an internal atmosphere conducive to fascial health.

Develop a calmness of spirit born of learning to listen intently to our bodies as we exert absolute pulsing control.

We as a community are devoted to expanding the understanding of Callanetics and to encouraging each other to remain consistent in our practice. We know this fitness system is special and actively promote spreading the joy around. We are here to answer questions and fiercely support each other as we continue to find ways to incorporate Callanetics into our demanding lives because we know from experience that it all runs more smoothly when we find the time to pulse with regularity.

The position isolates and the pulse trains.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2014, 01:05 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

I'm in for 13 sessions for the month. I thought about 14 but life can get crazy and I really want to make the goal this month so I'm factoring in one possible complication. Call me optimistic.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:47 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MizTenaciousT
Stats: 176/169/145
WOE: Paleo/Primal (most of the time)
Yay March! My birthday is next week! (!!!Time flies!!!) I got my two sessions in last month after receiving the 10 in 10 dvd. My family is in town this weekend, so I'm going to try and use the AM/PM disc this weekend if I can. Otherwise my goal this month is at least 8 sessions, doing twice a week. Let's see how it goes! I'm already feeling my abdominal and glute muscles getting pleasantly sore (if that's possible) which tells me they're feeling it! I still can't make it through the entire stomach or behind series without taking breathers, but that's okay. One day at a time It's a new month friends, let's make it a great one! Go us!
Old 03-01-2014, 09:49 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MizTenaciousT
Stats: 176/169/145
WOE: Paleo/Primal (most of the time)
Susanw53:

I just love reading your posts! They're so helpful. When will you be starting the cert program? I'm just so thrilled for you.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:30 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: callangirl
Stats: 255/140/135
Start Date: July 3, 2012
Thanks Susan53 for getting us started this month...

Hope you have a wonderful day, MizT!!

I'm in for 10 this month; I don't want to disappoint myself by committing to more than ten.

----------------------------------
Start Weight: 255(July/2012) Current(163) Goal(135)
Upper Arms: 17/12.5/10
Bust:49/39/36
Waist:47/35/27
Hips:49/40.5/36
Thighs:29/23.5/19
Calves:18/14.5/?

Last edited by callangirl; 03-01-2014 at 02:37 PM..
Old 03-01-2014, 02:32 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mayleesa
Stats: (5'5") 209/176.4/140lb
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 12/26/2013
gonna try for 8! I'm working 60 hours a week now but really want to continue with this. made 7 last month....here is hoping!
Old 03-01-2014, 04:38 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bacon
Stats: 185/151.6/145
WOE: Moderate carb, Paleo-ish
In for at least 8 again. Just finished 1 of 8 today.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:26 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: callangirl
Stats: 255/140/135
Start Date: July 3, 2012
Quick question... Is anyone doing the Open & Close that was featured in the original 10/10?
Old 03-01-2014, 09:17 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by callangirl View Post
Quick question... Is anyone doing the Open & Close that was featured in the original 10/10?
I've been playing with it recently. Not as consistently as I'd like yet, but I've neglected it for years so any is a good thing. I find it wonderfully challenging and fabulous work for the abs. My instructor told me recently that she doesn't often teach them. I can understand from the studio perspective and the need to conform to some sort of a time limit for a class, but it made me feel sad that this lovely movement was being lost in the shuffle.

Are you doing them? We could start a resurgence.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:21 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

1/13 March 2014

Great session today and a long and complicated day to go with it. The first of the month is always a whirlwind. I had almost talked myself out of doing the session, but these days that thought sends me right into instructor mode and I begin to search for the cause so I can modify. Eventually reason prevailed. I'm so glad it did.

I have some interesting thoughts to share but right now I need some serious sleep. Tomorrow all.

Good work to kick off the month.

Happy pulsing.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:07 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

1/13 March: Thoughts

On Friday I experienced the moment I have been waiting for. Because of Dale's health challenges I only work one shift a week now. One of my regular customers who stops in every Friday morning felt compelled to ask what was causing the drastic change in my appearance. Don't you just love it when people invite you to talk about Callanetics? When Spring hits and I lose all these layers of protective clothing the neighborhood will be shocked. I pulled up a picture of myself taken last March after our new couch was delivered and it shocked me! I'll have to get Rachel to help me stage a repeat of that shot and post it here. Incredible difference.

One of my studio instructors decided that for our challenge this month she wanted us to be mindful. She calls it Mindful March. You all know me to be mindful by nature but I surprised myself with yesterday's session. Even with BBC America's reruns of Star Trek on in the background while Dale entertained himself through another frosty Pittsburgh afternoon I was able to connect so deeply with my body that I was hearing muscles I had never noticed joining in the harmony. It became a song of celebration, smoothly transitioning from one movement to another. Taking my time. Totally focused.

Beginning with the Daily Stretches I immediately noticed a new depth of awareness. When I began the sitting rotations I realized I was rotated almost completely around! I stopped and considered for a moment, trying to pin down just what I had done differently, to conclude that it must have been my improvement in sustaining the lengthening through the crown. I've been working hard not only to lengthen along the counter extensions but to be able to sustain that extension as I worked. Tougher than it sounds and I know from watching myself in the mirror that I'm definitely working harder than it looks. That's a good thing. My instructor mentioned recently that with Callanetics pulsing less is more. It demonstrates your ability to control the pulse to a smooth and delicate movement. I'm always working on eliminating any outward signs of strain like scrunched nose or tight lips or squeezing neck muscles or flexing toes..... You get the picture. I want that woman looking back at me in the mirror to appear serene and relaxed. Then when I finish something like an abs set I typically relax back to the floor and say something like "Good Lord".

I've been working lately on getting my arms to roll over for the Underarm Tightener so that the palms would be facing the ceiling more. By that I mean you can frequently find me in the middle of some domestic chore or some random moment stopping, extending my arms out and rolling the arms over. My family is used to this behavior. I watch my younger instructor contort her body so exquisitely that it takes my breath away and I'd determined that it had something to do with keeping the scapula incredibly relaxed down the back and widened out as I simultaneously lengthened further out the counter extension that runs through the middle fingers. Yesterday it worked so well that it shocked me. I had to stop and do a little dance of joy before going back in to repeat it. What it took in the end was that sustained extension through the fingertips, likely the best I've achieved to date and much more than I'd anticipated would be necessary. A truly thrilling moment. I love that sensation of keeping the ribcage down and stable as the arms come to the back, trying to keep torso movement to a bare minimum. While pulsing I could sense her behind me encouraging me to relax the wrists and let the arms float up as I pulse. This movement always gets me fired up as it requires a constant checking on the alignment points, an excellent preparation for the rest of the session. I have a tendency here to roll onto the front of my feet but by the time I'm through these it's pretty firmly engrained to keep my weight back on my heels and those thighs rotated out.

Abs took much longer since we all know mindfulness means working much deeper and that always means more breathers doesn't it? Remember how ridiculously difficult abs were when you first started? Isn't it glorious how wonderfully controlled they feel now? Woo Hoo! Curled up through the shoulders, back completely relaxed, neck and shoulders totally relaxed, scapula down the back and relaxed, breathing deep and controlled. It isn't about getting through the movement. It's about getting all of the pulses in but always working at my best position so I never hesitate to take all the time necessary and all the breathers I need to stay in that best position. There will come a day when I can do them right along with my instructors, but I'm in no rush. I can let my body get there in it's own time.

My daughter stood by and watched me in utter amazement as I executed those challenging Spiral Pelvic Rotations. Standing next to the barre, up high on my toes, weight into the joint of the big toe, knees together and "sitting" back a tiny bit to get all the counterpoints in place, ballet hand for balance stability, thinking "up through the crown" I started the series. Three rotations to the right. Over, c-u-r-l, across to the left, swing straight over to the right. Repeat. One more for three. Drop down an inch. Three rotations to the right. Drop down another inch. Three more rotations to the right. Pause. Breathe. Three rotations to the left. Up an inch. Three rotations to the left. Up an inch. Three more rotations to the left a-n-d up! I have yet to complete them all the way through without breaking. Usually I break at the bottom and then start from that point when I come back to finish.

Rachel was so enthralled by my control she was compelled to give them a try herself so when I caught my breath and stopped laughing I walked her through them and did it all again! My instructor would have been proud. Life is sweet.

I believe my favorite sequence may be Hips and Behind. My heart actually starts beating a little faster in anticipation. I like to fill the time with lots of lateral semi-plank positions which means many movements either from Evolution or modifications of them. My shoulder joints have been appreciative of the interest in their health. When I first started doing the ones with stacked hips and legs it was difficult to feel the effect but now... Wow! That first one, when you just gently pull the sit bones together to raise the knee, letting the foot hang heavily? I can feel the muscles all the way around my upper leg and deep in the behind as I work that corkscrew pulse. I've been practicing extending that rolled over upper arm and the sense of straightness is becoming more second nature so that every time I reinforce turning the head to look at the shoulder I can feel the spine extend and feel the waist lift as I grow longer. You can almost feel the endorphin release.

While setting up for the extended leg I was demonstrating for Rachel how you can tell if you are lifting by lengthening along the counter extensions versus lifting with the larger muscles of the waist or hips. If you are coming more than an inch or so off the floor you are using the wrong muscles. You will see results none-the-less but they will be more spectacular with greater control of the smaller skeletal muscles. You lengthen through the crown and through the heels until the extremity simply lifts from the floor and work from there. Less effort, more work, better results. The Callanetics Paradox: less effort, harder work. You gotta love it.

One of the advantages of doing Spiral Pelvic Rotations, which are embedded in the Leg sequence, is that you have already done them and only have to do scoops near the close of the session. As much as I enjoy the beauty and challenge of rotations I have always groaned when I got to this point. It's nice to have a break now and then and those ones on the toes are a challenge all their own.

This was one of those sessions you don't want to end. If all of my sessions this month are this mindful I can expect lots of excitement in my near future. It's nice to have friends to share the joy with.

Happy pulsing all.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:14 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayleesa View Post
gonna try for 8! I'm working 60 hours a week now but really want to continue with this. made 7 last month....here is hoping!
You're doing great. I speak from experience when I say the time spent pulsing is your best investment for peace of mind during challenging times. Things will change in time and you will be that much stronger when it does.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:15 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: neecy
Hi Susan, I am starting right this minute with a 1 hour session, I will keep you all informed of my progress : ) Love how much information this thread provides!
Old 03-02-2014, 09:26 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: fadedjeans
Hi! New Here!

Hi!! I just discovered Callanetic and this sight!! I have been doing Atkins (ANANY) since September and dropped 43 pounds as of yet. One of my Atkins friends turned me on to Callanetics. I found Callanetics Countdown on Amazon in excellent condition for $4 on Amazon and got so very excited! Book came in yesterday. Read it cover to cover last night, did my first session tonight. I AM IN LOVE WITH THIS!! Just wanted to introduce myself and say hello!!

Cristi
Old 03-03-2014, 05:43 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadedjeans View Post
Hi!! I just discovered Callanetic and this sight!! I have been doing Atkins (ANANY) since September and dropped 43 pounds as of yet. One of my Atkins friends turned me on to Callanetics. I found Callanetics Countdown on Amazon in excellent condition for $4 on Amazon and got so very excited! Book came in yesterday. Read it cover to cover last night, did my first session tonight. I AM IN LOVE WITH THIS!! Just wanted to introduce myself and say hello!!

Cristi
Cristi. It's such a sweet addiction and we are so glad to have you join us in the celebration. Prepare to become a Callanaddict. I have never seen the book you are working from but my understanding is that it is an excellent way to build up to the full program. I'll do more research on it this week so I have a better idea of where you are.

Callan has already told you all the important stuff about being gentle with yourself, laughing at your temporary limitations and only working at YOUR body's best position. Eventually we will get you to expand the routine to add more movements or reps. Take your time and enjoy it. This is not a competition.

Congratulations on the weight loss. I dropped around 30 pounds since last May, just doing Callanetics and being reasonable with diet choices, so imagine the potential if you are as careful as yourself. I want to warn you that initially you may gain a bit as you build muscle tissue, so when it happens choose to be excited at the evidence that the program is working. I always recommend you stay as far away from the scale as you can with Callanetics. You can drop two dress sizes with these gentle pulses and not lose a pound of weight. I think of it as a lifetime commitment and I understand that as long as I stay consistent in my practice Callanetics will continue to work its magic, so what the scale says is incidental.

The other thing I wanted to alert you to is that the stomach fat is the last to leave. I'm far enough in now that I'm watching the fat migrate to the front and up where it just seems to vanish bit by bit. I was almost 100 pounds overweight when I started, and had been so for over a decade, so the belly fat was settled in there pretty well. The beauty of this program is you are guaranteed results if you are committed.

This thread keeps archives going back three years. It is worth a trip through them to mine valuable insight into the movements. There are some sweet video shorts on YouTube that were loaded as a 12 Days of Callanetics Christmas surprise last December demonstrating many of the movements. They can introduce you to the recent upgrades to Callanetics. In particular they will give you an excellent reference for learning to use the counter extensions. The deeper your understanding of this concept and the better your ability to work "relaxed and effortless" the faster your results will come. We are here to motivate and educate. Ask anything. One of the lovely voices here will be able to help you find the right answers.

Happy pulsing.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:44 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neecy View Post
Hi Susan, I am starting right this minute with a 1 hour session, I will keep you all informed of my progress : ) Love how much information this thread provides!
Wasn't that fun Neecy?
Old 03-03-2014, 09:18 AM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Prithi
Results are in ladies
Total inch loss 14.5 " in 20 sessions. I mean in just 20 sessions.
I have a 9 month old baby boy and I am nursing him. I wasn't expecting any change in my chest/breast region but oh my!! I lost a lot of back fat, I can now wear shirts that I used to wear before I got pregnant.
Huge difference in my post baby belly. Stomach is getting tighter and higher. lost 2.5" around the love handle area. My face is slimmer, I look like I have lost weight but I didn't.

I am in for 15 sessions this month. Can't wait to measure myself again by end of this month.

1/15 done.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:07 AM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bacon
Stats: 185/151.6/145
WOE: Moderate carb, Paleo-ish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prithi View Post
Results are in ladies
I have a 9 month old baby boy and I am nursing him. I wasn't expecting any change in my chest/breast region but oh my!! I lost a lot of back fat, I can now wear shirts that I used to wear before I got pregnant.
Huge difference in my post baby belly. Stomach is getting tighter and higher. lost 2.5" around the love handle area. My face is slimmer, I look like I have lost weight but I didn't.

I am in for 15 sessions this month. Can't wait to measure myself again by end of this month.

1/15 done.
Awesome progress! It's amazing to me that you can lose so many inches without actually losing weight on the scale.

Finished session 2 of 8 yesterday.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:49 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DeeBloom
Stats: 189/189/133
WOE: Dukan/Meat & Egg/Low Carb
Start Date: 03/04/2014
Have been lurking on this sight for a bit, have the DVD's and did them a couple of times years ago. Really looking to get back into this. Thanks for all the insight.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:03 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeBloom View Post
Have been lurking on this sight for a bit, have the DVD's and did them a couple of times years ago. Really looking to get back into this. Thanks for all the insight.
DeeBloom. This much fun needs to be shared. Glad to have you along.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:07 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prithi View Post
Results are in ladies

1/15 done.
Way to go girl!!! You have only begun the journey. Your results speak to a deep mind/body connection. I am so proud of you. Better times ahead. I promise.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:57 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

2/13 March

Another session of body sculpting complete. I followed it up with a trip into town for coffee beans, a trip that includes a brisk walk uphill to catch the bus home at a 4 mile an hour pace in order to get to the stop in time. It's a little challenge I set for myself every trip. It requires strength and total breath control, two things Callanetics brings in abundance. I'm usually so pumped after a session that I walk the 1/2 mile to the grocery store to get my body completely loosened up. That 4 city blocks uphill beats that level walk hands down.

After I got home I decided to try on a pair of sweats I haven't worn in years and they slipped right on and fit like a dream. Two weeks ago they were too tight to wear comfortably. How can you not love a program that consistently makes you smaller and smaller? When I started the stomach roll (those of you with one know what I mean) began all the way out on the a hips, almost to the back. Now it begins at the front and every day it is shrinking away. The dangling skin under my arms is almost completely gone. My legs are looking killer. My main goal with Callanetics was to enter my later years stronger and more flexible. Sculpting this lovely body is such a splendid bonus.

I finally got my copy of Tom Myers' Anatomy Trains today. In the brief time that I had to look through it today I already gained more insight into why Callanetics is so effective. The purpose of the fascia is to pull the body in. This is precisely what Callanetics promotes. The entire system within your skin is one big connected entity. I believe it is the fascia doing most of the pulling in. We think of it as the muscles doing it but muscle, fascia, bone, they all flow together and work as one. Callan Pinckney was a genius, way ahead of her time. How lucky are we that she was such a visionary?

Time to prepare an evening meal. Happy pulsing all.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:11 AM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Thank you for the kind welcome and the great coaching!! My upper abs were comfortably sore today. Just finished my workout for tonight. It felt so good doing the leg portion. Being a former gymnast the moves came very easy and I was getting concerned that maybe I wasn't doing it correctly. When I got finished and tried to walk off, my legs felt like jello!! I can't believe how effective that was!! I cannot wait for some time to pass so I can see what I feel!! This layer of gush is driving me mad!!!
Old 03-04-2014, 09:34 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadedjeans View Post
Thank you for the kind welcome and the great coaching!! My upper abs were comfortably sore today. Just finished my workout for tonight. It felt so good doing the leg portion. Being a former gymnast the moves came very easy and I was getting concerned that maybe I wasn't doing it correctly. When I got finished and tried to walk off, my legs felt like jello!! I can't believe how effective that was!! I cannot wait for some time to pass so I can see what I feel!! This layer of gush is driving me mad!!!
I call them "Callanetics Jello Legs". I finish a session feeling fine and then hit the 40 stairs leaving the apartment building and always laugh at how much my legs feel it. Hang in there with us. I started out seriously overweight and even more out of shape and now, a mere 10 months later, every day is a joyful experience as I recognize more and more muscle engagement. It's like growing into a whole new body! You gotta love a plan that works.

Last edited by susanw53; 03-04-2014 at 09:37 AM.. Reason: Spelling correction
Old 03-04-2014, 12:04 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mom2AandE
Stats: 237/177/140
WOE: Low Carb-due to PCOS
Start Date: May 25, 2013
Hi!

I am back. I was here a few months ago and got some great information from you all. I have the book and the dvd but just wasn't quite motivated to start moving. I was losing weight and was working on that but now I need to add exercise per doctors orders. I have lost almost 60 pounds and have hit a stall. So I want to start using my Callanetics this week. I tried it a couple of times but I really struggle with the body positioning so I sort of gave up. I hope to get my hubby to make a barre to use too.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:53 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2AandE View Post
Hi!

I am back. I was here a few months ago and got some great information from you all. I have the book and the dvd but just wasn't quite motivated to start moving. I was losing weight and was working on that but now I need to add exercise per doctors orders. I have lost almost 60 pounds and have hit a stall. So I want to start using my Callanetics this week. I tried it a couple of times but I really struggle with the body positioning so I sort of gave up. I hope to get my hubby to make a barre to use too.
Jennifer, so good to see you back I probably told you this already but be prepared to gain a few pounds as you begin to gain muscle fiber. This can be particularly frustrating and even scary to someone actively losing weight when they begin. So if it happens choose to be excited that the program is working.

Since you've been here there were some lovely updated video shorts loaded onto YouTube in December as part of a 12 Days of Callanetics Christmas. They are excellent demonstrations of many of the movements and may help you with your positioning challenges. My best advice is to learn to laugh at your temporary limitations and press on. Callanetics is a very forgiving program and will reward you with results even as you develop technique. Feel free to ask for help. We do our best to assist. As you can tell I check in here a lot.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:39 PM   #27
Kat
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Kat
Stats: 160/158/145
WOE: Low/Moderate Carb
Start Date: 1/28/14
I am going to try to complete 16 this month...1/16
Good Luck everybody!!!
Old 03-04-2014, 11:11 PM   #28
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanw53 View Post
I call them "Callanetics Jello Legs". I finish a session feeling fine and then hit the 40 stairs leaving the apartment building and always laugh at how much my legs feel it. Hang in there with us. I started out seriously overweight and even more out of shape and now, a mere 10 months later, every day is a joyful experience as I recognize more and more muscle engagement. It's like growing into a whole new body! You gotta love a plan that works.
Okay....you talked me into it! Was going to skip tonight because my legs hate me, I am going to do my workout and go to bed. I will be glad I did! Thanks!
Old 03-05-2014, 08:36 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ouida
Hello Everyone,

My name is Ouida. I have joined this board because of the Callanetics challenge and because of all the support and guidance and generous clarification that susanw53 provides. I also love the support and the detailed information about the changes people are going seeing and experiencing, provided by the other posters.

I would like to join! I am new to Callanetics. Thus far, I have done 9 hours. I am using the 10/10 video. I was really excited about the progress I have been making until today.

I was in the dressing room verifying that the clothing I planned to purchase fit me. I thought my hips were shrinking, but in the dressing room mirror I looked 'funny'. My hips (saddlebags) were poked out and almost misshapen. To add to it, one side looked different than the other side, as if it were poking out more.

I saw in another thread where susanw53 wrote, "With Callanetics the body continues to pull in for up to 48 hours after a session..." THIS was right on time for me to see today. I have read this before in other places and I have even seen this with my own body in the last three weeks in which I have done the 9 hours. Yet, it is always good to have encouraging words, especially when you need them.

I was a bit discouraged but I am going to keep going. I just did my 9th hour yesterday, so hopefully this blob-like misshapen look that is amplifying my saddlebags will pass. Today I was caught off guard with the weirdness going on around my problem area #1, my saddlebags. In general, I have been pleasantly surprised with and happy with my progress.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:05 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mom2AandE
Stats: 237/177/140
WOE: Low Carb-due to PCOS
Start Date: May 25, 2013
Thanks Susan! I plan to do a session this morning and work on my form. I will check out the updated videos. I am also subscribed to the Callenetics Studio, the lady who checks in here.
Closed Thread