Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2014, 04:44 PM   #121
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susanw53
Stats: 238.9/195.2/155
WOE: Just sensible control
Start Date: Callanetics, 7/98, restart 5/2013
I had the same problem with the new picture. It changed it on my profile page but didn't come through on the thread. If you figure it out please share. I have changed dramatically since that picture was taken last year.

It's really good to have you back.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2014, 09:24 PM   #122
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rosebud87
I have such a hard time with anyyy of the hip exercises. anyone have tips?

I feel like I'm doing them all wrong :/ I really want to make sure the back of my thigh is being targeted and I never feel them working that area.. or any area for that matter.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:21 PM   #123
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: callangirl
Stats: 255/140/135
Start Date: July 3, 2012
Welcome back ThinAsAPin! I took some time to read through some of your old post, you had a very ambitious routine, which produced extraordinary results.

MichelleHu, glad to see you in the Callanetics thread; I’m used to “bumping” into you within the 5lb Challenge area.

Excellent Susanw…! You’re now in one-derland. How great does that feel? I was elated when I got to that point.

In reference to Dale, hang in there, with you being faithful in doing Callanetics I feel as though he’ll soon make the connection.

Well, we're coming to the end of our March journey, I hope everybody is happy with their results. Happy Pulsing...
Old 03-28-2014, 11:26 PM   #124
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanw53 View Post

The idea of fasting fascinates me, though I likely won't do it any time soon. Years ago my grandfather did a controlled 45 day fast (not for the unprepared or faint of heart) and in the end his mind was sharper than ever, his spiritual senses were tremendously keen and his hair went from silver to jet black again. There is much there that we don't understand yet.
Susanw, it's amazing what fasting just 1-2 days a week can do. The longest that I've fasted is 3 weeks and the debris and toxins that came from my body was phenomenal. Later on I became a fan of Quantum Eating introduced by Tonya Zavasta.

In my nutritional studies, it's constantly being emphasized concerning the body's ability to heal itself with the proper treatments. So it's not a surprise to me that your grandfather's system rejuvenated. Many people have experienced similar results.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:57 AM   #125
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MichelleHu
Stats: 260/191.6/135
WOE: LC/Wheat Gluten Free
Start Date: 5/29/13
Callangirl! KUTGW!

Today DD and I will be doing hour 2. I reminded her of our plan for today you know how cranky teenagers can get on their weekends!

I wasnt sore from hour 1 and really thought I would be even not doing the moves right. I did my eliptical yesterday thats a-okay on my inbetween Callanetics days yes?
Old 03-29-2014, 05:12 PM   #126
Major LCF Poster!

12/13 March. Hips and Behind pointers

Only one more session away from the monthly goal. Now I feel better. It was rough on my psyche to come up short the past couple months.

I'm really improving the lengthening along the counter extensions. That paid off big time today during the Cross Over Torso Twist. I do a modified version from 10/10 that includes turning the head in the opposite direction, allowing for a much better wringing out of the spine, like a dish rag. Instead of simply turning the head I've been working on getting an extension through the crown as I turn and today that worked like a dream, lengthening out and relaxing the mid body to get the foot much closer to the floor.

I used to try so hard during this movement. After much focus I believe I'm finally, finally beginning to internalize that "relaxed and effortless" directive so that it's becoming second nature. The advantage? Those new jeans I shrunk into are already getting loose enough that I was looking at the next size down today. Possibly by the end of April I'll be into them. Oo la la. This is sooooo much fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebud87 View Post
I have such a hard time with anyyy of the hip exercises. anyone have tips?

I feel like I'm doing them all wrong :/ I really want to make sure the back of my thigh is being targeted and I never feel them working that area.. or any area for that matter.
Hello again rosebud87. If you can be a little more detailed about what in particular is challenging you I may be able to help you work through it.

I can offer you some general guidelines. Remember that it's the position that isolates the muscle and the pulse that trains. If you are getting into the proper position there is no need to consciously contract any muscles at all. The greater your extension out of the hip joint combined with a strong extension through the crown to cause the "lift off", the smaller your pulse will be and the deeper the muscle work. I have to tell you though, although I can feel the muscles working deeply, sometimes to the point that I get a little quiver deep in the leg or hip it never feels like I'm working hard. I've learned to take the effort out and let the pulse do the work.

The instructions in 10/10 are "tighten and tilt", a directive that typically causes people to squeeze the butt cheeks together and do a severe pelvic tilt. Instead I've been trained by my instructor to lengthen the lower back (think of sending the sit bones towards the floor) and then give a gentle curl to the pelvis to bring the pubic bones a bit up, almost like I had a fishing line hooked onto the pubic bones lifting them to the ceiling. Very subtle but also very effective. Instead of "tighten and tilt" I think "lengthen and curl".

Attaining that "lift off" usually requires you to lean to the opposite side. As you grow stronger you lean less. My approach is to extend, lean a tiny bit, and keep alternating those until the extremity lifts, and then I work right there and no higher. If you lift higher larger muscles come into play. We're concerned with deep muscles. Your hips, derričre and waist are completely relaxed throughout without any conscious contraction. At the point where I place my hand on the hip to roll it forwards I then gently guide the hip away from the waist. It is only the muscles of the leg itself that lifts the extremity. No waist or hip muscles involved. Keep those muscles from shortening at all. Relax. Then relax some more. (I can still hear Callan say that. )

Keep the counter points aligned throughout (pubic bones, pelvis and lower ribs nicely stacked ). The most important thing here is to avoid leaning forward. You're trying to keep a nice solid core, all lined up, so even though you're leaning to the side you are not falling forwards or backwards. The back is in neutral, the core solid. Avoid hanging on for dear life. I'm sure you're past that stage by now.

Callan always recommended that you place your hand on the affected area and feel for the action. She also advised that you keep a strong mental visual of your desired end and then trust your body to get there in its own time. Trust your instincts. Believe you can do it. The videos give you an excellent reference point. I keep mentioning how forgiving Callanetics is. I did these movements incorrectly for many, many years and still got slimmer hips and a peachy behind.

I hope this helped you.

Time to fix dinner. Happy pulsing all.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:15 PM   #127
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleHu View Post
Callangirl! KUTGW!

Today DD and I will be doing hour 2. I reminded her of our plan for today you know how cranky teenagers can get on their weekends!

I wasnt sore from hour 1 and really thought I would be even not doing the moves right. I did my eliptical yesterday thats a-okay on my inbetween Callanetics days yes?
I can't think of any reason this would be problematic. Callanetics is a great companion program for any other fitness approach.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:29 PM   #128
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bethwisdom
Stats: 251/198/150
WOE: HFLC
Start Date: Jun 2013
Just realized how MIA I have been! But I haven't been missing my callanetics - I just did my eleventh session (and eleventh for this month). People are starting to notice!!
Old 03-29-2014, 07:05 PM   #129
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethwisdom View Post
Just realized how MIA I have been! But I haven't been missing my callanetics - I just did my eleventh session (and eleventh for this month). People are starting to notice!!
Excellent bethwisdom! It's so much fun when people start commenting on your changes. You have only begun to scratch the surface.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:17 PM   #130
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Partyof7
Stats: 46 pounds down, 102 more to lose.
WOE: JUDD induc.UD 4/10/14 LC'ish, Calorie awareness
Start Date: March 16th 2014
Yay! I bought the 10/10 Callanetics and also have Super, and Quick coming. I am alone with all the kids while DH is out of town so I have gazed longingly at my AMPM tape but between the kids, and no hot water, ear infection, dog biting kid and infection, and getting dog fixed and every thing else - I haven't done anything but hold tight to my sanity. Its crazy here.
When DH gets home, I am getting a long, hot, shower. Stat!

I am going to try really hard to sneak a session in before April starts, but I am definitely here for April..Feeling super motivated!
Old 03-30-2014, 11:48 AM   #131
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: quiklos
Hi everyone,

12/12 done. Yay!

On the version of Callanetics that I do, Callan doesn't demonstrate the exercises herself ... so she moves around the class like a mother hen instructing her brood of chickadees. So cute!

See you guys in April!
Old 03-30-2014, 12:33 PM   #132
Senior LCF Member

10/10 Getting ready for April...
Old 03-31-2014, 01:06 PM   #133
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ouida
susanw53, Thanks for the sweet note!

Congratulations, everyone! On to April!
Old 03-31-2014, 02:25 PM   #134
Major LCF Poster!

13/13 March

It feels good to finally have a month where I hit the goal. I know it doesn't really matter in the long range scheme of things but it's always a little hit to the ego to fall short. Not that my life has been challenging lately or anything. We have an eagle's nest right down the road with a live-feed camera and three eggs hatching so I'm surprised I could pull myself away. To be truthful, I have that feed running on the iPhone beside me as I type this on the iPad. No obsession here.

This has been a good month. Lots of progress for all of us. I'm personally seeing incredible changes every session. I noticed that those old woman jowls I had developed are going the way of the double chin I used to have. How I love the youthful progression of Callanetics.

I got the chance to do an entirely new workout today, filled with wonderful and unexpected movements. This one intensifies upper body work and OMG it was fierce! I know my underarms are going to feel it tomorrow. Such a taskmaster. The routine also contained a series of Hips and Behind movements done on hands and knees that just blew me away. Once I get more familiar with them I'll try to write them up for you. I think I'm going to take some measurements and prioritize this series for the month of April to see what affect it has on the underarms. One session in and I can already see results. Let's see if I can finally lose the underarm waddle.

Dale update: The surgeon is scheduling a vascular bypass to both legs ASAP. Yeah, we have an option. Boo, it comes with incredibly high risks, but then the end result of not taking that risk is losing Dale's feet. Not much of a choice. Thank God I do Callanetics, because I have to tell you, I have never been so calm coming up on one of these risky procedures that seem to follow this man of mine. Callanetics; Restore, Align, Sculpt, with a side of Peace Of Mind thrown in for good measure.

Peace Of Mind: the gift of not needing to know what will happen.

All right guys. On to another monthly challenge. What wonders await us?

Happy pulsing.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:26 PM   #135
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ThinAsAPin
Stats: 155/135/125
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: Jan 2011
So I didn't make it to my moms to get my 10 in 10 DVD but I was able to download it on iTunes for $9.99 and it just finished downloading so I'm excited to start tomorrow.

There's also a video download available called Secrets of callanetics. This is the first time I've seen it. Does anyone know from experience if it is a good investment?
Closed Thread