Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2014, 08:18 PM   #61
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bacon
Stats: 185/151.6/145
WOE: Moderate carb, Paleo-ish
Finished session 4 of 8. I'm pleased with how my butt's shaping up! Not sure how much of it is in my head, but it feels like every time I catch my reflection in a mirror, I'm pleasantly surprised.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2014, 06:19 PM   #62
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bethwisdom
Stats: 251/198/150
WOE: HFLC
Start Date: Jun 2013
Day 3 Done

With each time, I am finding that my muscles are remembering. Was jello legs as soon as I was done, but seemed to recover a bit quicker - but maybe because I didn't do 10/10 yesterday, where as last time was the day after doing first time.

For now I think that I will do it four times a week (Tue, Thr, Sat, Sun) as fits my school schedule very well, and only has one time where they are back to back.

Hope everyone is doing well!!
Old 03-14-2014, 05:46 PM   #63
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: callangirl
Stats: 255/144/135
Start Date: July 3, 2012
Gallous Quine...

5/10

Happy Pulsing, Everyone!
Old 03-15-2014, 03:05 PM   #64
Junior LCF Member

Finished session 5 of 8 with some Evolution- I feel great!
Happy pulsing
Old 03-15-2014, 04:31 PM   #65
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: quiklos
Tried to post this yesterday, but am still learning how to use the forum, so again ...

5/12 done!

Don't recall ever seeing this mentioned before ... one thing that's helped me a lot with my ab work in recent days is an exercise from another online resource. You lie down on the floor with your head, neck, and shoulders on a firm, highish bolster and let your ribcage melt into the floor ("no forcing"). This is supposed to relax tight psoas muscles (whatever that is). For me, it has helped to loosen up my extremely inflexible upper back and neck, giving me a tighter curl up during the ab exercises. And wow, what a difference that makes in the level of challenge!
Old 03-15-2014, 06:56 PM   #66
Junior LCF Member

Day 4

Did 4th 10/10 today. Am going to do it again tomorrow.

Do any of y'all do it daily? If so, did you work up to that? Does anyone do Super Callanetics? How long did it take you to work up to that?
Old 03-16-2014, 12:59 AM   #67
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ouida
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiklos View Post
Tried to post this yesterday, but am still learning how to use the forum, so again ...

5/12 done!

Don't recall ever seeing this mentioned before ... one thing that's helped me a lot with my ab work in recent days is an exercise from another online resource. You lie down on the floor with your head, neck, and shoulders on a firm, highish bolster and let your ribcage melt into the floor ("no forcing"). This is supposed to relax tight psoas muscles (whatever that is). For me, it has helped to loosen up my extremely inflexible upper back and neck, giving me a tighter curl up during the ab exercises. And wow, what a difference that makes in the level of challenge!
Thanks for the tip! I also have a tight upper back and neck area. I want to do those curls better as well.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:58 AM   #68
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: susanw53
Stats: 238.9/195.2/155
WOE: Just sensible control
Start Date: Callanetics, 7/98, restart 5/2013
Quote:

5/12 done!

Good morning quiklos. I loved your post. This gentle stretch is indeed one of the best approaches to coaxing the psoas when they are tight. You woke the teacher in me with the "what ever that is" comment.

When we think of core strength we typically consider strong abs complimented with strong back muscles. If you stop and think about it though the real strength in the core is healthy and balanced psoas muscles. They are connected to vertebrae T12 through L5 on either side of the spinal column. Like two cobras they sit, their heads at the diaphragm and their tails wrapped around the hip and attaching to the head of the femur. Working together they balance respiration to walking. Their integration into the spine suggests they are instrumental to core strength and the maintenance of a proper lordotic curve of the lower back.

In the words of Tom Myers, author of Anatomy Trains:

There are two cobras, one on either side of the spine. The tail of the cobra is the lower end of the psoas, curled around the neck of the femur parallel to the pubofemoral ligament. The cobra’s ‘body’ goes forward of the hip joint itself, and then retroperitoneally back behind the organs to lie of either side of the lumbar spine. The ‘hood’ of the cobra is the spreading dome on each side of the diaphragm. In the image, the cobra’s face would be at the front of these domes, approximately at the end of the 6th and 7th ribs.

Considered as a functional whole, the balance of these two muscles is essential for respiratory and spinal health. Get the balance and function of these two cobras correctly, and it will matter less whether your patient has ‘washboard’ abs or ‘washtub’ abs. With a strong and balanced cobra, tight abs are less necessary to upper body support.

When the cobra gets too short, the cobra lifts up and exposes its throat, so to speak – in postural terms, the lumbars get more lordosis and the rib cage tilts back, restricting breathing in the back of the diaphragm. When the cobra loses tone, the head of the cobra dips, the lumbars fall back and the rib cage falls, restricting breath in the anterior part of the diaphragmatic domes.

Learning to read and correct the position of the cobra offers a new aspect to core support that supports the upper body easily, dynamically, and with less residual tension than just slamming down those abs.

I frequently consider how wonderfully Callanetics strengthens the cobras as we pulse. Every time we lengthen the lower back and give that lovely little curl to the pelvis we are "feeding" the cobras. Every reminder to relax the ribs so they float over the pelvis, each prompt to keep the counter points in place as we work helps to keep the cobras balanced and happy. These are two primary candidates for the skeletal muscles Callanetics was developed to work. Their health and increased flexibility is why Callanaddicts stand so tall and sure and move with such gracefulness.

Anatomy lesion complete.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:13 AM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethwisdom View Post
Did 4th 10/10 today. Am going to do it again tomorrow.

Do any of y'all do it daily? If so, did you work up to that? Does anyone do Super Callanetics? How long did it take you to work up to that?
Feeling the excitement are we Beth?

Frequency of practice is a personal choice. Listen closely to your body for signs of fatigue. Callanetics works on a completely different level than most other fitness approaches and you need to remember that the time off between sessions is just as important as the practice time. The down time gives your system time to recover and rejuvenate. What this suggests is that you be sure to take one or two days off a week to offer your body that recovery time.

Super was actually developed as illustrations of ways to intensify the 10/10 series for more challenge and to offset boredom. As such it is really best suited to gradual implementation as you require more challenge. As your body strengthens you simply adapt the movement to raise it to the level of Super. Before you know it you are intensifying all of the movements and are doing more Super than straight 10/10. In the same spirit one can incorporate elements of Evolution into your personal routine and develop a well rounded session done without a video.

My instructor shared a little training trick with me this week. They typically take a student that has gained proficiency in working "relaxed and effortless" with advanced modifications and take them back to working at the beginner level to demonstrate how far their technique has improved. She calls it "going back to Baby" and I can see where it would be a valuable comparison. I may try that today by working a Beginners Class and get myself back on schedule after this grueling week that included only one session.

Time to wake the husband. Happy pulsing all.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:42 AM   #70
Junior LCF Member

Ouida, it's a great way to relax for a few minutes after a session or while watching TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanw53 View Post
You woke the teacher in me with the "what ever that is" comment.
susanw53, I love waking up the teacher in you! Great analogy! I googled it to get the correct spelling but couldn't understand the explanations.

So, I've done 6/12. I wasn't super motivated last session, but happy I got it done.

Have a great rest of the weekend everyone!
Old 03-16-2014, 12:17 PM   #71
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
This is supposed to relax tight psoas muscles (whatever that is). For me, it has helped to loosen up my extremely inflexible upper back and neck,
hmmm - the psoas are in the lumbar (lower back region). I'm not sure how that helped your neck, but I could see if your lower back were a bit stiff, loosening them would help with "curl"
Old 03-16-2014, 02:04 PM   #72
Senior LCF Member

6/10 so far...

So SusanW we’ve touched base on this before -- concerning the Open & Close... Are you saying that this move is obsolete and one can still get great results without it?

Waiting for your reply...

Hope everybody is doing fantastic!
Old 03-16-2014, 04:13 PM   #73
Senior LCF Member

6/13 March

This was a brutal week. Doctor visits four out of five days. Dale developed complications with his eyes that required immediate action and I found it impossible to set aside time for Callanetics. A shame really, since a good session always leaves me feeling more capable of dealing with the stress.

Tomorrow I'm getting back to the schedule but I really needed something today. What I chose was a 45 minute class geared to beginners, heavy in Feldenkrais movements and limited pulsing. I'd never tried it before and it turned out to be just what I needed today. Yesterday I was completely frustrated with my inability to schedule another session. Today, following this gentle session (which itself followed my 20 minute Feldenkrais-based Daily Stretch routine), I feel completely different about it all.

Callangirl, thanks for sharing that inspirational story. You've recently gone through all the rediscovery I'm experiencing now. I must make you smile a lot. I don't think Open and Close has become obsolete. It's just more time intensive and if you're trying to keep to a strict schedule I guess it's easier to let this one go. I personally am impressed with how deeply it works the abs. I avoided it for the longest time because I was having adductor challenges and my stomach was so large it got in the way. I'm enjoying them in a new way this time around. I can't think of any other movement that could substitute for it's benefits. I'm only up to 40 of them so far. Having the barre helps.

Tomorrow is another day and another session scheduled. See you then.

Happy pulsing all.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:52 PM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Partyof7
Stats: 40 pounds down, 108 more to lose.
WOE: JUDD induc.UD 4/10/14 LC'ish, Calorie awareness
Start Date: March 16th 2014
Well Hello there every one

I found AM PM Callenetics and I believe regular Callenetics @ a thrift store when I was a young adult. I bought them and started doing them - I really enjoyed it - but I don't think I did it more than 10 times.

Through the years VHS tapes have come and gone but I've always held on to these two tapes because they were something special, and I didn't know if they were out of print!

Sadly, I am 13 years older and 80 pounds have been added to my already obese frame. After the birth of my fifth child, I realized I had gained a lot of weight and it wasn't all just 'baby weight'. I home school my children and live for them (and my husband) --- food has become *my* joy and *my* thing to do.

I stepped on the scale last week to see that I am 348 pounds.

Well, I am doing something about that...I am retraining my body to feel full again by doing a low carb high fat diet..
and then I ran across this thread.
Wow.

I had no idea that there were others out there that loved it!
This is such a motivation. <3

I am going to go find these other threads, and then dig through my boxes and see what I think about starting it all up again.

Question:
Will my size make any of it unsafe to do? I can't remember a lot of the exercises.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:54 PM   #75
Senior LCF Member

Susan,
Allow me to say that I don't know any thing about Dale (assuming he is your husband) and his health - but I do understand stress and things with health going bad...I hope you keep your peace with you.
Take care.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:15 AM   #76
Senior LCF Member

Partyof7. Thankfully that taste of Callanetics has captured you and allowed you to find your way back after all these years. Callanetics is sneaky like that.

Your size will make some of the movements a bit more challenging at first, but it will only be temporary. You do them to the best of your ability, laugh at your temporary limitations and expect your technique to evolve as you go along. I would recommend finding a 10/10 DVD and getting over to youTube to find the 12 Days of Callanetics Christmas video shorts to give you a view of recent upgrades to the program. This thread runs back three years in the archives and it is well worth the mining trip through.

It was my own daughter returning to Callanetics after deciding to get her almost 340 lbs under control with diet and exercise rather than taking diabetic meds that prompted my own return. I had taught her as a young teen and she was surprised at how easily she fell back into it again. Remember it took years of effort to put the weight on so you can afford a couple years to restore, realign and sculpt your body back into a more normal state. I'm coming down from a high of 240. Slow and steady is the trick for me. Try to limit your early schedule to three sessions a week. Any more and you risk fatigue and discouragement. I usually recommend you take the first session and break it into four sessions then do that 1/4 each day preceded by a full run of warmups. Then take a break for a couple of days before starting in on your regular schedule. This gives you time to gently learn the routine without unduly taxing your body.

As a former homeschooling mom I know how challenging it can be to find time for yourself so I recommend you enlist the help of your children to keep you honest. Maybe you can introduce it as a unit. I know you can do this. Be gentle with yourself and avoid anything that feels like pain. Not discomfort, but pain. We are always here to answer questions and motivate. It's good to have you on board.

Happy pulsing.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:59 PM   #77
Senior LCF Member

7/13 March

Mindful March continues.

In the spirit of being mindful, and to calm my unnatural fear of growing dependent on videos or DVDs, I did a long, leisurely Spa Session with my favorite YouTube Zen Garden video on in the background. Including a longer than usual routine of my Daily Stretches I took a full three hours of well-deserved me time. The Zen soundtrack always inspires me to slow down to triple slow motion and that requires more time. Let me say I feel wonderful. Taller, stronger, lighter. Gee whiz I missed that feeling last week. By week's end my knees were feeling the 40 stairs up to the apartment. The reality of my domestic responsibilities demands that I stay consistent with Callanetics practice. It's so easy to let the day get away from you. Maybe if I set a start time limit- a point in the day when I simply stop everything and attend to my body's tune up. Thank goodness I do Callanetics because life can be ridiculously inconvenient.

Being more mindful means you often notice some small quirk that might normally be missed. While rotating to the side during Evolution waving abs (which I carefully execute with arms on a stable horizontal plane instead of the dip wave shown on the DVD) I suddenly noticed that my pelvis was shifting on the floor and there was a lot of muscle activity going on in the thighs, which were supposed to be very quiet. I stopped, thought about it a moment, reset, took a breath and started again. This time I focused my eyes firmly on my middle fingers as I rotated and felt carefully for the maximum rotation point. From there on it went smoothly and before I knew it it was finished.

I tried something new today, mixing Open and Close into the Hips and Behind movements. I did a couple Hips and Behind then threw in 20 Open and Close. I repeated that approach until I had done 60 total Open and Close. I found it easier to work at best position like that and I was aware of how strongly my abs were working, but without a lot of effort. A successful experiment.

This session was one that reminded me of why I love Callanetics. The intense mind/body connection Callanetics cultivates calms my soul.

Halfway through the month and everyone is doing well indeed. Isn't this mindful body sculpting fun?

Happy pulsing.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:48 PM   #78
Senior LCF Member

Thank you so much Susan! <3 I am finding my tapes today and will take your advice!
Old 03-17-2014, 06:11 PM   #79
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyof7 View Post
Well Hello there every one

I found AM PM Callenetics and I believe regular Callenetics @ a thrift store when I was a young adult. I bought them and started doing them - I really enjoyed it - but I don't think I did it more than 10 times.

Through the years VHS tapes have come and gone but I've always held on to these two tapes because they were something special, and I didn't know if they were out of print!

Sadly, I am 13 years older and 80 pounds have been added to my already obese frame. After the birth of my fifth child, I realized I had gained a lot of weight and it wasn't all just 'baby weight'. I home school my children and live for them (and my husband) --- food has become *my* joy and *my* thing to do.

I stepped on the scale last week to see that I am 348 pounds.

Well, I am doing something about that...I am retraining my body to feel full again by doing a low carb high fat diet..
and then I ran across this thread.
Wow.

I had no idea that there were others out there that loved it!
This is such a motivation. <3

I am going to go find these other threads, and then dig through my boxes and see what I think about starting it all up again.

Question:
Will my size make any of it unsafe to do? I can't remember a lot of the exercises.
Welcome Partyof7! I'm thrilled that you're here with us. I know how you feel when you say: you didn't know there were others out there...

I felt the same way, before I discovered this forum. For all the benefits you receive from Callanetics, one would think that its popularity would be epic. But unfortunately it doesn't seem to be a big part of mainstream exercises. Hopefully this will change in the future.

You'll find that we have people here that are supportive and will try to answer any issues you may have concerning this fabulous workout.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:46 PM   #80
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
This was a brutal week. Doctor visits four out of five days. Dale developed complications with his eyes that required immediate action and I found it impossible to set aside time for Callanetics. A shame really, since a good session always leaves me feeling more capable of dealing with the stress.

Tomorrow I'm getting back to the schedule but I really needed something today. What I chose was a 45 minute class geared to beginners, heavy in Feldenkrais movements and limited pulsing. I'd never tried it before and it turned out to be just what I needed today. Yesterday I was completely frustrated with my inability to schedule another session. Today, following this gentle session (which itself followed my 20 minute Feldenkrais-based Daily Stretch routine), I feel completely different about it all.

Callangirl, thanks for sharing that inspirational story. You've recently gone through all the rediscovery I'm experiencing now. I must make you smile a lot. I don't think Open and Close has become obsolete. It's just more time intensive and if you're trying to keep to a strict schedule I guess it's easier to let this one go. I personally am impressed with how deeply it works the abs. I avoided it for the longest time because I was having adductor challenges and my stomach was so large it got in the way. I'm enjoying them in a new way this time around. I can't think of any other movement that could substitute for it's benefits. I'm only up to 40 of them so far. Having the barre helps.

Tomorrow is another day and another session scheduled. See you then.

Happy pulsing all.
My prayers and positive thoughts go out to you, SusanW... I can relate to the stress factor of dealing with family illnesses. It easy to put everything on the backburner to deal with the problem at hand… However controlling your tension level for Dale as well as yourself is crucial. So it's good you were able to get a session in today...

When I first started doing Callanetics, I wasn't as proficient as you; I consider you a guru. I just made an effort fumbling along in my sessions; thankfully it was beneficial in spite of me.

The Open & Close was originally done a few inches from the wall or something substantial. You're doing them in a new way? I’m interested in knowing how you’re doing them with the bar.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:40 AM   #81
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethwisdom View Post
hmmm - the psoas are in the lumbar (lower back region). I'm not sure how that helped your neck, but I could see if your lower back were a bit stiff, loosening them would help with "curl"
Just a quick note:

Thinking of the body as individual parts one could come to this conclusion. The reality is that the universe beneath your skin is one large interconnected unit and anything you do in movement effects every other part of that universe. So loosening the lower back allows tension in the upper back to dissolve as well. It's really not possible to treat only one part of the body. That's one of the reasons Callanetics is so effective. It works the entire structure in a balanced way, gently slipping your bones back into proper alignment and slowly but consistently creating the internal atmosphere for strength, endurance and all-over general healthfulness. I find I laugh more when I'm consistent with Callanetics practice. I can't be the only one who feels this lightness of spirit.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:11 AM   #82
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ouida
Quote:
Just a quick note:

Thinking of the body as individual parts one could come to this conclusion. The reality is that the universe beneath your skin is one large interconnected unit and anything you do in movement effects every other part of that universe. So loosening the lower back allows tension in the upper back to dissolve as well. It's really not possible to treat only one part of the body. That's one of the reasons Callanetics is so effective. It works the entire structure in a balanced way, gently slipping your bones back into proper alignment and slowly but consistently creating the internal atmosphere for strength, endurance and all-over general healthfulness. I find I laugh more when I'm consistent with Callanetics practice. I can't be the only one who feels this lightness of spirit.
I usually use an online link for 10 in 10 until my dvd gets here. I couldn't access it for my session today and I was so disappointed. Two things happened. I had copied down the written routine in my Callanetics notes and while doing the exercises, in total silence, I HEARD all this cricking and cracking and creaking in my back! It was not painful. It sounded like "cartilage" popping and moving, not necessarily bones popping.

This turned out to be the silver lining in the cloud. The blessing in disguise is that what seemed to be a disappointment turned out to be an opportunity to experience and be conscious of, in real time, what I believe to be re-alignment in action. Had I performed the exercise with the video and music and talking, I would NOT have heard these internal sounds today. I don't see anything, though in terms of re-alignment.

What I do see is this crepe-like, wrinkly elephant skin at the very bottom of my pooch area. The pooch area is starting to deflate a bit but the skin doesn't seem to be tightening. It seems to be draping more. My gut seems to overhang more than before. I feel and look wide in my waist. Initially, my waist pulled in, now it is in expansion again. I see traces of a tiny thigh gap that I did not have before Callanetics and my saddlebags are reducing.

What I did not expect to have were the emotional releases. I have had three. I'm talking crocodile tears. At first I was like, "Are you upset because these exercises are challenging?" Then I realized it was coming from my tissues, the release of my past issues ('The issues are in the tissues'). In addition, as soon as I completed my session, where I experienced the releases, the tears stopped and I felt cleansed, refreshed and at peace. I've never had such experiences with exercise before Callanetics. After I had this first crying session I read that this is not uncommon. I feel like my body is really cleaning house.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:42 PM   #83
Junior LCF Member

7/12 done!

bethwisdom, LOL I'm glad susanw53 came to my rescue on explaining that psoas thing! All I know is it loosens me up so I get a better curl up for the ab work.

callangirl, I knew you had been doing Callanetics consistently, which is a wonderful achievment in itself, but I never knew your results. After taking a hard look at your stats, all I can say is ... WOW! Amazing work!

susanw53, you handle your stresses with such bonhomie! That's something for me to remember and to try to emulate. Hope Dale's situation has improved.

Partyof7. You were given great advice, the most important of which is to be kind to, and patient with, yourself. If it all still seems too daunting, you might also consider Beginning Callanetics, which is the program I use due to some health issues. It modifies some of the exercises for people with challenges, starts with lower reps, and is only about two-thirds the length of the full program. It's a very affordable dvd and might be good for informational purposes even if you stick with 10/10. Even with such baby steps, I started seeing some small results in the first week and I'm now back in all my old clothes! I could have moved on to 10/10 long ago, but I decided to work on improving form first -- I really want to look more like Lane and less like Stan (I think his name is?) when I do the exercises!

Ouida, that's profound!

Have a great day everyone!
Old 03-18-2014, 01:51 PM   #84
Junior LCF Member

Fifth one done

Every time I reach the pelvic rotations and Callan says "the exciting pelvic rotations" I say exciting out loud. Though much more sarcastically than she does!!

Also, it's like she is in my head and knows exactly when I want to leg go on the inner thigh one!
Old 03-18-2014, 08:07 PM   #85
Senior LCF Member

Searching for those VHS. I know that I just saw them.
Tomorrow is my wee ones big appointment for an m r i, so probably won't be able to do it tomorrow...but I would like to do the am/pm tonight for some stress relief.

Thank you all so much for your friendliness!
Old 03-18-2014, 10:23 PM   #86
Junior LCF Member

Finished session 6 of 8 with Evo
Old 03-20-2014, 09:54 AM   #87
Junior LCF Member

Finished 8/12!

Doing laundry last night, I was happy to see so many "new" old clothes in the mix. These are clothes I haven't been able to get into for years! It's like getting a new wardrobe!!!

Have a great day everyone!!
Old 03-20-2014, 11:07 AM   #88
Senior LCF Member

7/10

Thanks, SusanW for the alternate Open & Close... For me, it sure beats holding on to furniture and kitchen counter tops. If I remember correctly, this particular way of doing it is shown in the Super Callanetics category.

Quiklos, thank you for the encouraging compliment; Callanetics has proven to be a powerful ally in my effort to get healthy.

Hope everybody is doing great...
Old 03-20-2014, 11:14 AM   #89
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Finished 8/12!

Doing laundry last night, I was happy to see so many "new" old clothes in the mix. These are clothes I haven't been able to get into for years! It's like getting a new wardrobe!!!

Have a great day everyone!!
I can relate to your enthusiasm, Quiklos! I'm having the same experience. That's the magic of Callanectics...
Old 03-20-2014, 11:48 AM   #90
Senior LCF Member

lol about looking like Stan.
I can imagine..

Just waiting for payday to buy the DVD's. I found AM PM vhs but not my other.
Closed Thread