Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susanw53
Stats: 238.9/195.2/155
WOE: Just sensible control
Start Date: Callanetics, 7/98, restart 5/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouida View Post
Hello Everyone,

My name is Ouida. I have joined this board because of the Callanetics challenge and because of all the support and guidance and generous clarification that susanw53 provides. I also love the support and the detailed information about the changes people are going seeing and experiencing, provided by the other posters.

I would like to join! I am new to Callanetics. Thus far, I have done 9 hours. I am using the 10/10 video. I was really excited about the progress I have been making until today.

I was in the dressing room verifying that the clothing I planned to purchase fit me. I thought my hips were shrinking, but in the dressing room mirror I looked 'funny'. My hips (saddlebags) were poked out and almost misshapen. To add to it, one side looked different than the other side, as if it were poking out more.

I saw in another thread where susanw53 wrote, "With Callanetics the body continues to pull in for up to 48 hours after a session..." THIS was right on time for me to see today. I have read this before in other places and I have even seen this with my own body in the last three weeks in which I have done the 9 hours. Yet, it is always good to have encouraging words, especially when you need them.

I was a bit discouraged but I am going to keep going. I just did my 9th hour yesterday, so hopefully this blob-like misshapen look that is amplifying my saddlebags will pass. Today I was caught off guard with the weirdness going on around my problem area #1, my saddlebags. In general, I have been pleasantly surprised with and happy with my progress.
Ouida. It's so good to have you join us. Now I want you to step back and take a deep breath. ....... OK. I want you to find it in your heart to be very excited about what you initially thought of as a concern. What you are experiencing is the migration of fat as the muscles and fascia pull in and gently move your bones back into normal alignment. Proof positive that you are doing something right. The body pulls in and up. As that happens the fat moves as well since it's there with the rest. Then everything thins out and smooths over. It's the Callanetics way. I assure you, the results are inevitable with consistently practice.

I'm glad to hear you are so far into the sessions. From your post I assume you have been reading past threads for information and inspiritation, so I will also assume that you are being very gentle with yourself. If we can help you maintain the passion in any way you have only to ask. You have many exciting moments ahead. It will be a pleasure to share them with you.

Happy pulsing.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2014, 06:59 PM   #32
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: quiklos
Hi guys, long time lurker here. With the inspiration of everyone on this board (shout out to susanw53 and Jigglebuster, you help and motivate more people than you know), I've been doing Callanetics regularly 3x a week since September 2013, a personal best for continuous exercise!

Just wanted to let everyone know, it doesn't matter if your form isn't perfect or if you can't do all the reps or even all the exercises. Just do them to the best of your ability, and you will see results!

Having had the 10/10 book for decades! and never even doing one full session, I decided to start with Beginning Callanetics. That's usually reserved for "special needs" people, like those with old injuries because it shows modifications of positions and is only about 60% of the full program. Well, I figured my special need was that I could never stick with exercise, hated it really, and needed something super simple.

Even so, it's challenging enough for me, and I keep getting more out of it by increasing reps or improving form. I will eventually move on to 10/10, but I'm happy with where I am for now.

As minimal as my routine is, I've gotten results! I'm not quite at goal yet, but I look slim again, and can fit into my old jeans! Most amazing of all, even though I still don't quite love exercise, it's become a habit and I feel guilty if I miss a session.

So, just keep at it everyone!
Old 03-05-2014, 09:42 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ouida
Thank you, susanw53! I appreciate the welcome and the detailed response you have extended to me. Yes, I have been lurking and looking at the other threads for inspiration. I read them all it seems.

Thank you for the reassurance. It is encouraging to know that what I am experiencing is a good thing.

I am in love with Callanetics. I JUST discovered this program last month. Where have I been? Immediately after the first session I slept better.

I don't have a monthly goal per se. I do have an overall goal to complete 50 hours. I keep reading that, "Starting around 30 hours is when you start to see the real magic." I have been feeling the magic since Session #1!

So, I am going to keep on pushing because I want to see some magic!
Old 03-06-2014, 04:35 AM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiklos View Post
Hi guys, long time lurker here. With the inspiration of everyone on this board (shout out to susanw53 and Jigglebuster, you help and motivate more people than you know), I've been doing Callanetics regularly 3x a week since September 2013, a personal best for continuous exercise!

Just wanted to let everyone know, it doesn't matter if your form isn't perfect or if you can't do all the reps or even all the exercises. Just do them to the best of your ability, and you will see results!

Having had the 10/10 book for decades! and never even doing one full session, I decided to start with Beginning Callanetics. That's usually reserved for "special needs" people, like those with old injuries because it shows modifications of positions and is only about 60% of the full program. Well, I figured my special need was that I could never stick with exercise, hated it really, and needed something super simple.

Even so, it's challenging enough for me, and I keep getting more out of it by increasing reps or improving form. I will eventually move on to 10/10, but I'm happy with where I am for now.

As minimal as my routine is, I've gotten results! I'm not quite at goal yet, but I look slim again, and can fit into my old jeans! Most amazing of all, even though I still don't quite love exercise, it's become a habit and I feel guilty if I miss a session.

So, just keep at it everyone!
quiklos. What a nice way to start my day. I always get excited to meet an obvious kindred spirit. I'm thrilled that you have managed to stay consistent so long. My personal goal is to find ways to keep you this excited about Callanetics for the rest of your life because at 60 (and feeling 35) I know this is like an elixir of life.

It's so important for others to hear stories like yours. We get so passionate sometimes that I'm certain other lurkers believe we are exaggerating our results. We keep reiterating that it is the consistency that makes the real difference. Callanetics is a very forgiving program that continues to give you results as you refine your technique. The better you get at the "relaxed and effortless" concept the more profound the results, but if you practice at any level with consistency you will see results.

You've reminded me that I need to get a copy of Beginning Callanetics. I have Callanetics For Your Back, which has many modifications for persons with special back concerns, but my library needs expansion.

Keep up the good work and stop in anytime.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:01 AM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Jigglebuster, it's been a while. Missing you. Hope all is well.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:47 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: callangirl
Stats: 255/143/135
Start Date: July 3, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanw53 View Post
I've been playing with it recently. Not as consistently as I'd like yet, but I've neglected it for years so any is a good thing. I find it wonderfully challenging and fabulous work for the abs. My instructor told me recently that she doesn't often teach them. I can understand from the studio perspective and the need to conform to some sort of a time limit for a class, but it made me feel sad that this lovely movement was being lost in the shuffle.

Are you doing them? We could start a resurgence.
Yes Susanw53, I've been doing the Open & Close exercise; it is challenging. I definitely have to take several "breathers" throughout the reps… As you can see from the measurements I posted, it has helped me tremendously in the ab area. I was concerned if I left any of the exercises out, I wouldn't get the desired results.

I look forward to continue to shrink my body down to the size that it's supposed to be. Thanks to Callanetics toning up isn't laborious as other workouts I've tried in the past.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:57 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

2/10 so far this month...

Cristi, DeeBloom, Ouida, Quiklos -- Welcome Back, Jennifer...

Good Luck Everyone!
Old 03-06-2014, 11:50 AM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

3/13 March

Last year, for my 60th birthday I turned a corner of our small living room into my Callanetics space, complete with a bank of inexpensive door mirrors that almost look like a four-paneled window. It's not as nice as a large, professional mirrored panel would be, but it works and cost me less than $30, including the Velcro Command Strips to hang them without marring the antique plaster walls and it gives me a great view of the work. (I had a barre mounted to the floor in front of it.) In order to claim this space I got rid of some major furniture pieces - just gave them away. This is easier to do, I suspect, when you get older. Things mean less. At least for me they do. It took me a long time to allow myself to claim the space, but I cannot tell you enough how wonderful it is to finally have a space entirely devoted to Callanetics that does not require moving things out of the way to make room. And the family survived it.

Today, while setting up for the Waist Stretch in front of said mirrors I had to laugh as I lifted my arm over my head and flipped my hand from front to side with a delicate dancer's movement, looking for all the world like I was getting ready to do a jig. I love the way Callanetics makes you feel so elegant.

My instructor had us doing push ups after the abs today and Taa Daa!!! I got up to 15 and I'm starting to be able to get closer to the floor. When I started doing them last month I was only able to lower myself about 2-3 inches and it was hard! Now they are challenging, but beautifully controlled. As a bonus, my upper arms have begun to thin out spectacularly and my breasts are beginning to fight the effects of gravity again. I would encourage you to give them a try. In the studio we usually add them in at the end of abs. Often we will begin abs with a nice slow run of rhomboid push ups to loosen up the back and get a better curl once you start curling up for abs.

I've been working on building my stamina and getting all the way through an abs movement without a breather. I was counseling someone on a forum yesterday about how we tend to try harder on body parts we want bigger results from when Callanetics requires you to relax more and let the skeletal-hugging muscles carry the work load. Suddenly I was struck by the irony that I was doing that exact thing and was putting too much effort into abs, so this time I backed off slightly, made myself relax even more and before I knew it those 75 pulses we were doing for each movement was history! Amazing that it would work just like I said. I still needed a short breather between movements, but keeping up with the class was a great motivator. My next goal is to be able to do abs and continue to instruct. Somewhere along the way this is going to be possible.

Little by little, bit by bit. The consistency of Callanetics never ceases to impress me. I can now remove my jeans (the ones I finally fit into about two months? back) without even unsnapping. That means I'm just days away from slipping into the next size down.

Keep up the great work guys. Remember that the goal is to enjoy the sessions. If they are stressing you in any way take a step back and let it go. You are practicing one of the most effective fitness programs available. Trust it to keep its promises.

Happy pulsing.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:54 PM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

The Callanetics Stance: Aligning our bones

Many of the most recents updates to Callanetics practice as taught in my instructors' studio were introduced in response to new knowledge in biomechanics and what we now know about the fascial structure of our bodies. As part of that updating they are now encouraging all students to learn to put your body into optimal alignment before beginning and to keep yourself in that alignment as you work. This focus will greatly enhance your results as well as offer you the greatest level of protection from injury.

I want you to think of your body as a skyscraper. Your intent is to stack your body up that skyscraper in a strong and stable manner. Begin by lining your feet up below your pelvis, pelvic-width apart. Look down to be sure that the edges of your feet are straight, using a book, block, carpet edge or some other reference point to line them up. Initially this may feel strange, particularly if your body is out of alignment enough that your feet are pointing out to the side in your current stance. Don't worry about that now. Just line them up and keep working at it and eventually it will become second nature and Callanetics will slowly but surely shift your banes back to their natural positioning. Keep the image firmly in mind and your body will get there in its own time

Shift your pelvis back so that it sits over the ankles and put your weight back into your heels, keeping the joint of your big toe firmly planted for stability. You should be able to easily lift your toes without sacrificing stability. If you can't lift your toes easily you need to rethink where your weight is centered and shift it gently back over the heels. This keeps your center stacked over the ankles where they can support your body most efficiently.

Now begin to grow tall through the legs. Gently rotate your thighs outward. As you become more familiar with this subtle movement, which brings your knees into the alignment that is the best bio mechanical position for the stability of the knee joint, you will feel how it activates your lower abs and opens up the pelvic basin.

Growing taller through the spine you are now ready to put your check points into place. This alignment will create intense stability through the core and will always protect the back from injury. It will also activate the upper abs, so now your abdominals are always working for you. You are going to create a stable vertical plane with your lower ribs, pelvic bones and pubic bones.

Begin by gently lengthening the lower back, causing a tiny tilt upwards of the pubic bones, bringing them into the same plane as the pelvis, which is always above the ankles. Next relax the lower ribs down and back so that they are floating over the pelvis. Lower ribs, pelvic bones, pubic bones all on the same plane. These are your check points. Do your best to always keep them there. Even when you are leaning or bending you are maintaining the integrity of that alignment, keeping your back in a neutral position.

Grow taller, right up through the crown. Relax the scapulae down the back and widened out to the sides. The head rises up as the spine extends. Be careful to let the lengthening of the spine lift the head rather than force the head up.

To review:

Feet pelvic width apart, edges lined up straight ahead, joint of the big toe firmly planted. Weight back in the heels.

Grow tall through the legs and outwardly rotate the thighs.

Lengthen the lower back to bring the pubic bones in line with pelvic bones.

Relax the lower ribs down so they float over the pelvis.

Grow taller. Relax the shoulder blades down the back and widen them out.

Grow taller through the crown.

Begin.

The Callanetics Stance brings you into maximum alignment and creates lengthening through the spine, allowing lots of flow through the tissues, bringing blood and oxygen to the cells and making it easier for your system to hydrate and flush toxins out of the body. You want to maintain it throughout the entire Warm Up sequence and utilize it anytime you can throughout the series. Keep those feet lined up. It makes the world of difference in how your body responds to Callanetics practice. Anything we can do to make it more beneficial.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:31 PM   #40
Junior LCF Member

callangirl, thanks for the welcome! Your persistance is very inspiring! That's what I'm going for.

susanw53, your generosity of spirit just melts my heart. I'm definitely still highly motivated. Even though most of the flab has pulled in, including (finally!) the unmovable, unbudgeable abs, I am going for more definition in my waist and lift in the behind, so there's always more to do.

Oh, I just wanted to say ... my last post made it sound like I've achieved clocklike consistency in my routine. That's hardly the case. I've missed my share of sessions and had gaps even of one to two weeks due to the holidays or whatever. It's just that this time, unlike every other time, I was able to jump right back into my routine after a break. Usually that's when I would quit for good.

Reading this board and looking at the before-and-after thread kept me motivated (thanks all!). I also told myself to cut myself some slack. And Callanetics makes it easy to jump back into things; I found I hardly lost any ground from those breaks here and there.

p.s. just saw that Callanetics stance post -- saving it for further study! there's gold there!
Old 03-06-2014, 08:47 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Many of the most recents updates to Callanetics practice as taught in my instructors' studio were introduced in response to new knowledge in biomechanics and what we now know about the fascial structure of our bodies. As part of that updating they are now encouraging all students to learn to put your body into optimal alignment before beginning and to keep yourself in that alignment as you work. This focus will greatly enhance your results as well as offer you the greatest level of protection from injury.

I want you to think of your body as a skyscraper. Your intent is to stack your body up that skyscraper in a strong and stable manner. Begin by lining your feet up below your pelvis, pelvic-width apart. Look down to be sure that the edges of your feet are straight, using a book, block, carpet edge or some other reference point to line them up. Initially this may feel strange, particularly if your body is out of alignment enough that your feet are pointing out to the side in your current stance. Don't worry about that now. Just line them up and keep working at it and eventually it will become second nature and Callanetics will slowly but surely shift your banes back to their natural positioning. Keep the image firmly in mind and your body will get there in its own time

Shift your pelvis back so that it sits over the ankles and put your weight back into your heels, keeping the joint of your big toe firmly planted for stability. You should be able to easily lift your toes without sacrificing stability. If you can't lift your toes easily you need to rethink where your weight is centered and shift it gently back over the heels. This keeps your center stacked over the ankles where they can support your body most efficiently.

Now begin to grow tall through the legs. Gently rotate your thighs outward. As you become more familiar with this subtle movement, which brings your knees into the alignment that is the best bio mechanical position for the stability of the knee joint, you will feel how it activates your lower abs and opens up the pelvic basin.

Growing taller through the spine you are now ready to put your check points into place. This alignment will create intense stability through the core and will always protect the back from injury. It will also activate the upper abs, so now your abdominals are always working for you. You are going to create a stable vertical plane with your lower ribs, pelvic bones and pubic bones.

Begin by gently lengthening the lower back, causing a tiny tilt upwards of the pubic bones, bringing them into the same plane as the pelvis, which is always above the ankles. Next relax the lower ribs down and back so that they are floating over the pelvis. Lower ribs, pelvic bones, pubic bones all on the same plane. These are your check points. Do your best to always keep them there. Even when you are leaning or bending you are maintaining the integrity of that alignment, keeping your back in a neutral position.

Grow taller, right up through the crown. Relax the scapulae down the back and widened out to the sides. The head rises up as the spine extends. Be careful to let the lengthening of the spine lift the head rather than force the head up.

To review:

Feet pelvic width apart, edges lined up straight ahead, joint of the big toe firmly planted. Weight back in the heels.

Begin.

The Callanetics Stance brings you into maximum alignment and creates lengthening through the spine, allowing lots of flow through the tissues, bringing blood and oxygen to the cells and making it easier for your system to hydrate and flush toxins out of the body. You want to maintain it throughout the entire Warm Up sequence and utilize it anytime you can throughout the series. Keep those feet lined up. It makes the world of difference in how your body responds to Callanetics practice. Anything we can do to make it more beneficial.
Thanks so much Susanw53! Copied and pasted into my Callanetics file...
Old 03-08-2014, 12:25 PM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

4/13 March

Feeling taller, thinner, stronger, calmer and legs like jello. I chose the most challenging class in my library today, an hour and 14 minutes of Transitional Callanetics that push you right to the limit. The goal is always to challenge yourself without over exerting. For me that means regular use of the "pause" button. My body continues to work at deeper and deeper levels demanding frequent breathers. When I'm in one of these stages I always remind myself of Callan's comments about never worrying when one of her students would take extended breaks. I always have to repeat to myself "it's not a race or a competition". Again, taking my own advice when I'm tempted to work too hard. See guys? I'm human too. It's really all about getting the lengthening through the counter extensions and learning to relax even more.

This routine has the Waist Tightener followed by 50 pulses each side in the wide plié stance Evo version. It is amazing how much easier this movement has become for me. My instructor has me focusing on keeping the pelvic basin completely stable as you go over. Before this I wasn't even aware of the slight way I allowed the pelvis to lift on the side I was bending away from. Now I focus on keeping those sit bones level with each other and the resulting stretch always makes me smile contentedly. Having it follow a complete set of the original Waist Tightener has everything all stretched out before you start the Evo set so you get over further and I'm always able to relax better into it. Today I noticed a distinct improvement in my ability to keep the shoulder blades relaxed, down and out and that simultaneous extension through heels and crown is markedly stronger. I find myself doing that extension all the time through my day. Always practicing.

Curious, I weighed in this morning. I'm floating right around 200 pounds. In August of last year I began to seriously apply the concepts of utilizing the Callanetics Stance, engaging the counter extensions, keeping the counter points firmly in place and learning to work "relaxed and effortless". During that time I have not restricted my diet other than to be cautious about slipping into junk food. This period of time included the indulgence of the holidays and occasional cheat days. In that 7 months time I have dropped 20 pounds. My theory has been that reasonable dietary control coupled with consistent Callanetics practice would eventually result in a balance of weight. It appears I am on the right track.

You have to love a plan that works. Happy pulsing all.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:48 PM   #43
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bacon
Stats: 185/151.6/145
WOE: Moderate carb, Paleo-ish
Quote:
To review:

Begin.

Excellent post! Thank you for sharing
Just finished session 3 of 8 - giving Callanetics Evolution a try and really liked it. I'm a fan of the slight variations to the original movements. I was getting into the plié stance for a waist stretch and noticed some really excellent muscle definition in my quads. I cycle to work most days and have always been proud of my strong-looking legs, but today, they looked extra defined.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:00 PM   #44
Junior LCF Member

Have been forgetting to say, I'll be joining you guys this month, and today was 3/12. Tried to do the Callanetics stance ... let's just say it needs a bit more work.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:26 PM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiklos View Post
Have been forgetting to say, I'll be joining you guys this month, and today was 3/12. Tried to do the Callanetics stance ... let's just say it needs a bit more work.
You'll get it. Just keep thinking it through and before you know it you will fall into the stance as a matter of course. It took me a while to get it ingrained.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:33 PM   #46
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bethwisdom
Stats: 251/198/150
WOE: HFLC
Start Date: Jun 2013
Let Me Introduce Myself

Hello -

I am very new to this board. I found it looking up Callanetics. I used to do Callanetics many, many years ago when I was in the USAF and my children were little. It, with walking, had me in the best shape I have ever been. But sadly, life moved on, I broke my back, and hadn't thought about callanetics for a long time.

I started HFLC last June and as of last weigh in (I only weigh myself about once a month or so) I had lost just over 50 pounds. My weight now starts with the number 1 (I can't even remember when that last happened!).

During my HFLC I haven't exercised much. I have done some yoga - and would like to put it back into my routine. I am student again, and life gets pretty hectic, and stressful - yoga and (what I remember about) callanetics is that helpful with stress as much as it helps firm everything up.

My favorite callanetics memory? I had been bed ridden with almost all of my second pregnancy. This, along with stress eating (marriage was very much on the rocks) led to an enormous amount of weight gain. Marriage ended, and the weight threatened my job (USAF), single parent. I had been losing weight with WW and walking. I ran across the VHS 10 in 10 at the BX, and decided to give it a try. It was somewhere around the 10th hour that I decided to finally go to the club - by myself. I wore a dress that was quite short for me (mid thigh). And I received, to date, the best compliment on my body. A guy walked up to me, said I had the nicest looking legs in the place, and then walked off. So, it wasn't a pickup line!

Anyway, glad I found this forum, and look forward to making friends while relearning callanetics!!
Old 03-10-2014, 05:04 AM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

Just a quick note to let you know I posted new photos today. They are in the thread started by Watch-Me-Shrink, where I posted the originals.

Off to visit doctors with Dale. See you all later. Hi Bethwisdom. I'll be back later for a better greeting.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:58 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

3/10 so far...

Bethwisdom! Glad you're joining... I believe you'll find a wealth of information here in reference to Callanetics. We're all in this together.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:38 PM   #49
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Gallous Quine
Not since the late 80's........

Hi folks,new to this forum but not new to Callanetics. I was a devotee in the late 80's and early 90's and lived the way it made me feel. Over the last few years life and work have taken their toll and it's time I got back into 10/10. Is it still currently what people are doing ? Can someone tell me more about the March Challenge ? Thanks 😊
Old 03-10-2014, 01:44 PM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Bethwisdom. I enjoyed your story immensely. I'm going to have to give some thought to what my favorite Callanetics story might be.

I'm glad you found your way back to Callanetics, most especially after reading that you had broken your back at some point. I'm assuming you are healed completely. I'm confident that Callanetics will overcome any lingering concerns from such an injury and I feel certain that you know how gentle you need to be and are well trained at the art of listening to what your body tells you. The instructor part of me immediately pulled out my copy of "Callanetics For Your Back". Might I recommend you to find a copy for yourself? This book is chock full of information and stretches to keep your back strong and protected. I don't take it out much but it is a valuable resource.

There have been some recent modifications to the series that it would benefit you to know. The current approach is to train yourself to keep your counter points in place and lengthen through the counter extensions to gain the most advantageous position for pulsing with minimal, minimal conscious muscle contraction. I posted an extensive lesson on this just last week on this thread and I am here to clarify anything necessary. There were some lovely video shorts posted on YouTube over Christmas last year as part of a celebration we called 12 Days of Callanetics Christmas that demonstrate perfectly most of what I'm referring to. It sounds so counterproductive at first glance but the better you are able to relax as you pulse and keep the larger and superficial muscles completely relaxed the faster and more profound your results will be. Callanetics is focusing the work on those muscles closest to the skeleton and the more length and internal "openness" you can create the more enhanced will be the flow of blood and energy to the working tissue, the more efficiently the body can rehydrate and the better your system can remove waste material.

I returned to Callanetics after more than a decade of complete neglect complicated by the continual stress of keeping my husband alive in the face of overwhelming health challenges. I cannot tell you enough how much improved my life is today. Not only am I stronger and more flexible as I enter the sixth decade of my life but my spirit is so much calmer and I laugh even more than before. (I've always been a fan of laughing over crying it's the same release but it's much more fun. ) I am sure that your inclusion of Callanetics as you enter this new phase of your own life will be extremely beneficial in not only helping you return to your former powerful self but also in keeping your mind clear and focused on your studies.

I look forward to sharing in your joy as you rediscover your body. Remember you are not the young thing you were when you first discovered these lovely pulses. (I had to remind myself frequently.) This forum is filled with caring souls ready and willing to keep you motivated and answer any questions that may arise during the journey.

Happy pulsing.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:24 PM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jigglebuster
Stats: 168..153(2013)/155/Healthy 5'7.5" wrist: 6.25"
WOE: Seasonal - Organic and nothing packaged
Start Date: Callanetics : Aug 18 '09 then again: Mar 15 '13
Quote:
Jigglebuster, it's been a while. Missing you. Hope all is well.
I'm still around and lurking. However, this is my busy season, and between work, play, Callanetics and parkour, something had to give, and that was participating on the forum so intensely.

Happy Pulsing everyone!!!
Old 03-10-2014, 03:50 PM   #52
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
:w

keep your counter points in place and lengthen through the counter extensions to gain the most advantageous position for pulsing with minimal, minimal conscious muscle contraction.
Thank you for the warm welcome Susan. I am not sure what you mean by counter extensions. I did 10 in 10 this afternoon, and while I can't do the exercises with the ease that I once did, finding my positions was like second nature. If I understand what you are talking about, it is about aligning everything, ensuring proper posture, and relaxing every muscle except the ones that are doing the work - and you don't have to consciously tighten them, as they will naturally do that while doing the work - that is the way that I have always done the exercises. I had done ballet for seven years growing up, so maybe that is why I fell in love with Callanetics when I did find it. It reminded me so much of my time at the barre. It is with that training that I approached Callanetics - posture, lengthening the entire body, soft, gentle, relaxed stretches and lifts.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:11 PM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigglebuster View Post
I'm still around and lurking. However, this is my busy season, and between work, play, Callanetics and parkour, something had to give, and that was participating on the forum so intensely.

Happy Pulsing everyone!!!
Good to hear. You had just come out of the flu and I was just a tad concerned.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:32 PM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ouida
susanw53, those updated photos of you are amazing. You look so pretty and serene. Congratulations on your wonderful success! Callanetics makes you NOT a work in progress, but a Masterpiece in progress.

Most importantly, I thank you for so generously sharing your journey with us. As was mentioned up thread, you have no idea of the many people you and the other wonderful contributors to this thread have helped.

I feel very encouraged and inspired.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:33 AM   #55
Major LCF Poster!

bethwisdom your post had me smiling. Finding Callanetics the first time must have felt a bit like coming home.

The counter extensions are simply the lengthening created by envisioning lines (threads, cables, beams of light,... whatever works best for you) that extend beyond yourself. Callan herself alludes to this when she encourages you to grow taller through the crown. To create internal tension we train ourselves to lengthen along these extensions. Doing so lends to an internal atmosphere conducive to the easy flow of energy and oxygen as well as assist elimination and hydration. It also helps to free up the joints, allowing for more precise positioning. "The position isolates the muscle and the pulse trains it." Improved simultaneous lengthening through the crown and the heel is what ultimately lifts the knee or leg for the Hips and Behind movements as well as the Angled Leg Lifts from Evolution.

The counter extensions we are chiefly concerned with are:
- sit bones through heels
- sit bones through the spine and ultimately through the crown
- scapulae through the middle fingers
- joint of big toe through outer edge of foot

I always think of it like an exploded diagram. It's important here to distinguish between reaching, which tends to utilize larger muscles, and lengthening, which is through the core. It was developing mastery with this concept and learning to keep the lower ribs, pelvis and pubic bones in solid alignment that really changed the flavor of my results.

Happy pulsing.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:54 AM   #56
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouida View Post
susanw53, those updated photos of you are amazing. You look so pretty and serene. Congratulations on your wonderful success! Callanetics makes you NOT a work in progress, but a Masterpiece in progress.

Most importantly, I thank you for so generously sharing your journey with us. As was mentioned up thread, you have no idea of the many people you and the other wonderful contributors to this thread have helped.

I feel very encouraged and inspired.
What a lovely compliment Ouida. This return to Callanetics awoke a sleeping drive to spread the news about these amazing gentle pulses. The teacher in me is compelled to find ways to reach others and help them perfect their techniques because I have yet to find another program that gives you these kinds of results with virtually no chance of injury. The peaceful, meditative quality of Callanetics is such a bonus and has positively impacted ever aspect of my life. Sharing the joy on this thread makes my heart beat faster. It's good to know my work is appreciated. To be honest, you all inspire me.

I managed to get in another session yesterday, so I'm 5/13 now. Right on schedule. We've got doctor appointments for Dale three out of five days this week and I almost talked myself out of it but after sitting on buses all day I really needed the alignment adjustment so I snuck it in between lunch and a run to the pharmacy. Some days feel like your coming at them on a full run and still don't have enough time. That little Callanetics break helps enormously to keep me going and at the end of the day I fall right into sleep.

The weather is beginning to warm. Remember to drink plenty of water to rehydrate. I usually have sips throughout the session and then follow with a full glass. Few of us truly drink enough water but it's important when your muscles are working this hard. I had to chuckle at that because suddenly I had a vision of someone observing us doing Callanetics and deciding that we really couldn't be working so hard because we were barely moving. My daughter and I used to laughingly call them "the hardest easy exercises you will ever do." I encourage you to drink more water.

On with the day. Happy pulsing all.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:58 PM   #57
Junior LCF Member

2nd 10 in 10 in March

I just finished my second 10 in 10 in March (and in more than 20 years)! Oh how I miss the flexibility of my youth!! And I still dislike pelvic scoops. Ah, but the stretching makes me feel like I can see the lithe, graceful creature of my past. And the jello legs make me know that I worked them.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:39 PM   #58
Junior LCF Member

Gallous Quine and bethwisdom!

Gallous, hopefully some of the veterans will chime in with their thoughts since I just joined the forum myself, but being a long-time lurker, it's my impression that most people start with 10/10, but some have used Callanetics Evolution to start with. The challenge is any goal that you decide to set for yourself for the month.

Tonight was 4/12 for me!
Old 03-12-2014, 05:15 AM   #59
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallous Quine View Post
Hi folks,new to this forum but not new to Callanetics. I was a devotee in the late 80's and early 90's and lived the way it made me feel. Over the last few years life and work have taken their toll and it's time I got back into 10/10. Is it still currently what people are doing ? Can someone tell me more about the March Challenge ? Thanks 😊
Gallous Quine. I can identify with your story. Callanetics is such an effective fitness approach and it always calls us back. To answer your questions: Yes indeed, most people start with 10/10. It is the basis for all things Callanetics. You are already familiar with the program so I just want to caution you to remember you are not the young thing you were in the 80s (although you will soon begin to feel like her again ) so be very careful to listen to your body and be very gentle. This is not a race or a competition. Callanetics will slowly and gently bring your body back into alignment and fitness. The benefits will appear if you are consistent in your practice, and since this return will likely be a lifelong journey for you there is no rush.

There have been some advancements to the program in the past couple years. I encourage you to mine through the recent challenge threads (they go back about three years) and to ask any questions that might arise. Probably the biggest change has been learning to work "relaxed and effortless", with minimal conscious muscle contraction. By learning to lengthen the body internally and create internal tension we can gain greater control over the positioning and the pulse trains the muscles on a deeper level resulting in faster and more dramatic results. I cover these concepts frequently here and there were some video shorts of many of the movements done in this manner on YouTube. They were part of a Christmas present to the Callanetics community loaded in last holiday season and were called 12 Days of Callanetics Christmas. Of all the movements I think these concepts have affected the practice of the Hips and Behind ones the most, although learning to utilize these concepts has impacted every part of my personal practice.

Our challenge is simply to decide how many sessions you would like to do for the month, post that goal here and then let us encourage you to reach that goal month after month after month. We are here to motivate and educate. One of the reasons most of us wandered away from something that made us all feel so much better about ourselves was the lack of peer support. This forum has developed to counteract this common occurrence. It doesn't matter when in the month you join and it doesn't matter if you stop in to interact, although we encourage you to at least stop at the end of the month to post your goal achievement. But when you need that shot in the arm or that push to the mat we are here to help.

I'll be waiting to hear how long it took you to begin to feel like that young thing you were when you first discovered Callanetics. I still get shocked sometimes that that's not who is looking back in the mirror yet, because when I'm pulsing I am her.

Prepare yourself. You are a Callanaddict in the making. Happy pulsing.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:19 AM   #60
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Gallous Quine
Day 4

Day 4 and my body is remembering the stretches and pulses. Feel I'm starting to do it properly again. Felt like I had been hit by a train after day 1 + 2 !! It's sunny here in Scotland and I'm in a sunny place too.
Thank you for your warm welcome and wise advice. I will check out you tube.
Namaste

Last edited by Gallous Quine; 03-12-2014 at 05:24 AM.. Reason: To add to post
Closed Thread