Old 02-19-2014, 05:02 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Burning Bacon
Stats: 157.8/145/125 at 5'2"
WOE: Low Carb my way
Start Date: 4/1/12 back on plan w/exercise
Question re: Callanetics + weight training

Hey all,
I'm just laying out a plan for exercises here and I'm going to be doing Callentics and weight training along with everyday walking....

Question: With weight training they advise skipping a day in between to rest the muscles....so would the Callentics be considered weight training too? Wondering how to classify it as it does deeply work the muscles too....Thank you for any input.....
Burning Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2014, 06:28 AM   #2
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/161/130
WOE: lchf/paleo/primal/keto
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
No I believe callanetics is more of stretching.. it does build muscle, but I would only suggest skipping a day if you feel very sore. Like maybe when you first start..
QueenBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:51 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Thank you!

Thank you Queen Bacon for responding...I am trying to get myself back on track here and will include the Callanetics on the same day as the weight training as I know I will be sore anyways!!! I like our titles (Queen Bacon and Burning Bacon)!!!! Thanks again!
Old 02-28-2014, 08:06 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susanw53
Stats: 238.9/195.2/155
WOE: Just sensible control
Start Date: Callanetics, 7/98, restart 5/2013
Considering how demanding Callanetics can be on the system when done relaxed and effortless I'm not sure I would do them on the same day as weight training, or at the very least not back-to-back. I say this as someone who knows next to nothing about weight training but quite a bit about Callanetics, so keep that in mind. The rest period is necessary for both approaches but for different reasons. The weights will cause small tears in the tissue that require the time to heal and strengthen. Callanetics is simply so demanding all round that the body needs the time off to rejuvenate. Although Callanetics are no-impact you are activating the small muscles that are right up against the bones and asking them to work at peak and beyond. That takes a lot of energy to do properly and the mental focus required to maintain the absolute control while staying relaxed increases the energy drain. With Callanetics the body continues to pull in for up to 48 hours after a session so that day off in between gives your body time to readjust. Just thinking about it I would probably set a schedule of alternating days because I believe they would complement each other. Weights are done in groupings and Callanetics are whole body.

I know that others combine the two approaches but I'm not familiar with how they balance it. There was a poster on until this year who went by the name Watch-Me-Shrink. See if you can find her posts. They should be quite helpful to you. Twila was an avid weight training enthusiast and a passionate ambassador for Callanetics. Her results were breathtaking. Good luck in your scheduling. Listen carefully to your body and let it guide you. If you drop in on the challenge thread and ask this question there may be someone there more familiar with the challenges you will face.
susanw53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 12:42 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Thank you, Susan

Yes, I gave the weights and Callanetics a try on the same day twice last week and this weekend can barely move!!!! You are right, I don't think that is a good idea!!!! I'm thinking that perhaps if I do Callanetics on Monday and Wednesday and on Friday do actual weight lifting to work more on my arms, that might be a better solution, and fit in those morning walks, now up to 25 minutes and will hope to do that every day!

I'm 61 and sometimes I forget how old I actual am!!! Yikes--today I feel 91!!!! Yes, I remember Twyla for sure! She was my idol and inspiration....wish she would come back here more often! I miss her posts!

Thank you for responding...I definitely do appreciate it....and need all the inspiration I can get - after all, we want to be the best that we can be no matter what our age, right? YES, YES, YES!!!!!
Old 03-10-2014, 10:37 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Peace
Stats: 115
WOE: stillmans
I need to l
Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:38 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Peace
Stats: 115
WOE: stillmans
I need to look at this Callanetics. I do running and les mills classes, but never heard if this.
Peace is offline   Reply With Quote