LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2014, 06:22 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: susanw53
Stats: 238.9/195.2/155
WOE: Just sensible control
Start Date: Callanetics, 7/98, restart 5/2013
Callanetics Challenge, February 2014

Join us in the ongoing excitement of Callanetics! Lovely meditation in movement, Callanetics works from the inside out, gently but surely strengthening, aligning and restoring your body with no impact pulsing and stretching, continuously sculpting your body in the pursuit of that sleek body suit your muscles are meant to be. As a community we support and encourage each other to achieve our stated goals and work together to expand our understanding of the movements and explore ways to improve their effectiveness.

If increased strength, flexibility, stamina and a calm spirit are your goal we encourage you to try out what we believe to be this most effective fitness program.

I'm in for 12 sessions this month.

Happy pulsing all.
susanw53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2014, 04:10 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mayleesa
Stats: (5'5") 209/176.4/140lb
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 12/26/2013
12 for me too!!!! I'm in it to win it!!!! Reachin for the stars 2 more inches than I think I can
mayleesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 05:54 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jigglebuster
Stats: 168..153(2013)/155/Healthy 5'7.5" wrist: 6.25"
WOE: Organic and nothing packaged and 70% raw.
Start Date: Callanetics : Aug 18 '09 then again: Mar 15 '13
Thanks for starting the thread susanw53!

I'm in for 16 this month. I'm feeling motivated, and am finally getting some sleep, so know I will be up and ready more often this month. Plus, when I was doing Callantetics 3 years ago, that was my norm, so I know I can do it.
Jigglebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:35 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chantal1970
Stats: 203/197/140
WOE: Weight Watchers/Clean eating
Start Date: Restarted January 2014
I am still somewhat unmotivated but I got my cpap machine and I did sleep a little better, and hubby took me to run some errands so that was nice of him.

I do feel calmer, not as stressed out as the past week, boy that was rough.

I am in for 20 sessions this month. I am leaving mid February for my trip but I will still be coming here and still be working out.

Hugs to all.
Chantal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 03:42 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Old 02-01-2014, 05:56 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

1/12 February

The month is off to a great start. Today's session was a splendid tune-up. The entire time I was reflecting on the transformation from this time last year when I was 59 feeling like I was turning 65. Today I'm 60 and I feel more like I remember at 35. My knees are pain free, my walking gait has improved dramatically, I can feel my abdominal muscles creating this fabulous natural girdle that has completely eliminated any back discomfort. I'm more energetic. I used to take a nap "because I can" and now I have no desire to stop and lay down. I now carry groceries easily up the 40 steep stairs to our apartment and think of how they weigh what I lost in body weight in the past year and how a year ago I was struggling to carry them and all that extra weight at the same time, plodding up where I now simply let my calves "push" me up.

Yeah, today was a nice session.

As I dressed to go grocery shopping after my Callanetics session I pulled out the pair of 38" jeans I have waiting in the wings. It's my goal this month to fit into them and be comfortable. Out of curiosity I tried them on and voila'! They slipped right on and buttoned so easily I was shocked. No muffin top! By the end of the month I will be able to sit down with comfort and then we move on to a pair of 36" before summer. Wahoo!

Jigglebuster, you rock!

Happy pulsing all.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:23 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Susan179
Stats: Weight 155
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Nov. 1, 2013
I'm in for 12 this month!
Susan179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:25 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

1/12 done!!! AND I ran for 2.2 miles this morning!!!!! so refreshing to get out and RUN!!! what a great way to start the day!!!
Old 02-02-2014, 09:47 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

I've started off this month with and "alternative" day, and it felt good, strong, although beit a bit broken up at the end, due to other responsibilities. But I got it done, and feel good.

I'm quite amazed at how easy the floor stretches are becoming! I'm not bent over like everyone else, but there's no straining to hold my position; I can relax into it, and simply let it be. For those of you for whom the flexibility part is not an issue, probably won't quite understand this, but for those of us who's flexibility is an issue, just getting into position is quite the accomplishment at times, nevermind relaxing too. In any case, I have visions of me bent over at least twice as much by the end of the summer.... I'll be astounded by myself at that point. So looking forward to it!

Susanw53!!!! Wow! You skinny little thing you! Way'ta fit into the smaller sizes!
Thighs: L:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
........R:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
Above Knee: 21.5(2009)...16.25"(Mar2013)/15.25"/15.5
(M)Calves L: 17.5(J2010)...15"(Mar2013)/14.5"/ 14.0
.........R: 17(J2010)...14.6"(Mar2013)/14.25"/14.0
Starting all over with 185 hours (1/? this month) of Callanetics, and playing outside!
Old 02-02-2014, 11:02 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

yeah I have NO flexibility at all, on my jillian michaels videos when she is stretching she also claims that she is not flexible at all and chuckles to her workout gals behind her, who are pretty much doing a split when stretching legs, to not laugh her not being flexible. so if that workout genius is less flexible, I wondered if I could ever be.....I guess we will just see
Old 02-02-2014, 12:03 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayleesa View Post
yeah I have NO flexibility at all, on my jillian michaels videos when she is stretching she also claims that she is not flexible at all and chuckles to her workout gals behind her, who are pretty much doing a split when stretching legs, to not laugh her not being flexible. so if that workout genius is less flexible, I wondered if I could ever be.....I guess we will just see
Check out the last page of the January thread, I had written something about that for you.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:29 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

yes thank you JB!!! you all are sooo inspirational and it's comforting to know yall here for us!!! I can't wait to see what 10-20 more do for this bod
Old 02-02-2014, 09:40 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bacon
Stats: 185/151.6/145
WOE: Moderate carb, Paleo-ish
Just finished my first session this month! In for 8 again.
Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:13 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: maddiemod
Stats: 154/137/110 5'2"
WOE: JUDDD/BEAD
Start Date: July 2012
Hi all! I'm excited to join in for February.

I did my first hour of 10/10 on 1/28 and my second on 2/1. I can't believe I'm actually looking forward to this

I'm going to do an hour M/W/F for a total of 13 this month. Can't wait to see what happens!!
maddiemod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:27 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: callangirl
Stats: 255/144/135
Start Date: July 3, 2012
I'm in for 12 this month, too... I may start posting my measurements so I can get a feel for what Callanetics is really doing.

mayleesa
, Jillian needs to realize those girls (Christine & Selima?) are a bit taller than she, so even if she was flexible they would still be able to kick and stretch out more.
callangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:02 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

I am starting tomorrow, with my trip coming up in less than two weeks I have been busy shopping, running errands and working a bit extra.

I slept for 14 hours last night. I am glad, I needed that. I easily got used to my cpap machine so it is nice not to be snoring anymore.

I am cooking up a storm for my hubby but it is nice to be able to leave everything ready. I have been drinking green smoothies to curve my appetite (do not want to overeat while cooking) and reduce my inflammation and so far it has worked well. I am feeling a bit better, so yay for that.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:00 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Good to hear you're sleeping Chantal! I know how that is. Now show is how to gently kick that peach of yours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by callangirl View Post
I'm in for 12 this month, too... I may start posting my measurements so I can get a feel for what Callanetics is really doing.

mayleesa
, Jillian needs to realize those girls (Christine & Selima?) are a bit taller than she, so even if she was flexible they would still be able to kick and stretch out more.
Posting your measurements will really open your eyes. It was interesting when I was losing most of my inches, how some of the inches went up and others went down in one month and then it all did the reverse, then all of it went down.... Crazy stuff!

I can attest to the fact that height has nothing to do with flexibility (if only that were true!!!). That is a myth. I've seen many a 5'2"er easily bend over and hug their legs and many who are 5'7" and taller not even be able to reach the middle of their shins.

Someone once said to me, people are made of two types of musculatures, one is flexible and the other strong. Meaning it's easy for one's muscles to stretch but would have to work at the strength part, and for the other, it was easy to gain strength but would have to work at the flexibility. I think there might be a rare few that have it all, but none of it has to do with height.

--------------------------------------------

I'm about to do another gentle 10/10 this morning, and looking forward to it!
Old 02-04-2014, 06:27 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Woo hoo!!! I'm back! I can do everything again, in full form. It's amazing how weak getting sick can make you.

Oh! I just wanted to to clarify (now that I'm awake), the "different musculatures" means, that three are different typed of muscle fibres in our muscles, some which are geared toward flexibility and movement, and some which are geared to strength. Some people just have more of one or the other.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:52 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

2/12 done!!! I def think my body is geared towards strength, I know that when I work out with JM, I immediately feel a strongness to my body, While with Callan I feel more limber and graceful when I move. I have noticed that since no Jillian this past month my strength has declined as my job involves a TON of heavy lifting.....maybe after I've done 50 Callan I'll start Jill on my every other day. I really feel as though I need to give Callan my undivided attention for at least 50.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:52 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigglebuster View Post
Good to hear you're sleeping Chantal! I know how that is. Now show is how to gently kick that peach of yours!

Posting your measurements will really open your eyes. It was interesting when I was losing most of my inches, how some of the inches went up and others went down in one month and then it all did the reverse, then all of it went down.... Crazy stuff!

I can attest to the fact that height has nothing to do with flexibility (if only that were true!!!). That is a myth. I've seen many a 5'2"er easily bend over and hug their legs and many who are 5'7" and taller not even be able to reach the middle of their shins.

Someone once said to me, people are made of two types of musculatures, one is flexible and the other strong. Meaning it's easy for one's muscles to stretch but would have to work at the strength part, and for the other, it was easy to gain strength but would have to work at the flexibility. I think there might be a rare few that have it all, but none of it has to do with height.

--------------------------------------------

I'm about to do another gentle 10/10 this morning, and looking forward to it!
Thank you Jigglebuster, I will look into having my husband take my measurements, so far I will start hour 2 today!!!
Old 02-05-2014, 12:40 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

2/12 January

I just finished my favorite Transitional Callanetics workout where I keep ramping up the intensity and try my best to get through with minimal breathers. I managed to get through the first abs and halfway through the first One Leg Up before I needed to break so it's definitely getting better.

I was contemplating how much better my Cross Over Torso Twist has become over the past few months. I used to force the stretch and fight to get my foot to the floor while struggling to keep my arms and shoulders down but I was thrusting my ribs out to do that. Now I lengthen through the counter extensions and focus on keeping my ribs relaxed and down, not even concerned with how close the foot comes to the floor. I have also begun turning the head in the direction opposite to the leg crossing over because the more you can turn the head the more the hip will roll over. Now it's all about total relaxation and the shoulders and ribs don't even move as the pelvis rolls over and gravity pulls the foot down. In time that foot will hit the floor. Today there was a surprising moment when my midsection released and the foot went over significantly more with no effort.

I'd have to say that the greatest difference in my technique last year to this year has been training to keep the big muscles completely relaxed while the small core muscles do the work. It took a long time initially to let go of old habits but the results of that commitment on my part has been an incredible increase in pulling in. I can still remember how my body was plodding through space before Callanetics in stark contrast to the tall, relaxed and graceful movement I now experience. These are the best results I have ever gained in over 25 years of doing Callanetics so I'll keep beating this drum in hopes of inspiring some of you to join me.

Mayleesa I can assure you that you will become stronger as you go on. It's inevitable that as your skeletal muscles become strong enough to begin changing the outer layers there is an amazing increase in strength. As your body slips back into proper alignment it works more efficiently. I admire your commitment to 50 sessions focused on Callanetics. I am sure you will see it as a wise move in the end.

Chantal I'm glad to hear the CPAP is working for you. Sleep is such a necessary thing. Two weeks and counting until your vacation! You'll have to post a picture of yourself doing the waist stretch on location.

maddiemod. Let us know if we can be of any assistance. Prepare to have fun.

Happy pulsing all.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:50 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Susanw53 I just love how passionate you are about this workout. I even did a double session today and it felt wonderful. I sometimes like to do them at night as they help me relax for better sleep. I work very slow, almost yoga like speed. I enjoy becoming mindful about what I am feeling while doing the pulsings. Quieting my mind, feeling my muscles doing the work, relaxing my body, it is all very fascinating to me. My dog finds me to be in such a calm state of mind that he will lay down next to me while I am doing the abdominal workouts. Now THAT tells me that I am indeed concentrated and deeply connected to my workout. I love it and it makes me very happy.

I have been doing a bit better with the pelvic rotations, boy it is very hard for me to do the plie's but I will eventually get there. I think that in no time I might move on to Super Callanetics but honestly, I really enjoy the 10/10 a lot.

Does anyone here like Cardio Callanetics? I have tried it and though I have to pace myself just a bit, I enjoy it. I like the long swooshing ballet looking movements. I guess it makes me feel looser.

Well, off to bed now, hope everyone is having an awesome week. I am grateful that I feel better and finally motivated once again.

Hugs.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:58 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

One more done! This one lingered and stretched out in slow-mo, but that's okay, it's my day off.

Chantal, I took forever to integrate anything from Super into my routine, partly from fear, and partly, well, because my body just wasn't ready, and I knew it. So, if and when you are ready, you'll know. Please don't feel rushed by anything anyone else is doing.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:58 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Chantal that was beautiful. I have always found the spiritual side of Callanetics to be one if the most valuable parts of the program. The more I do Callanetics the calmer I become. I can't help but be amazed at the design and beauty of the human body in movement. These days I find myself stopping at odd moments in my day to do a part of a movement just to feel the different muscle fibers in motion, always thinking about the mystery of how the entire system is really one unified organism. I am amazed by things like how your big toe has connections spiraling up through the body that in the end attach to the hip on the opposite side of the body. Incredible. I can see the moodiness caused by your raging hormones has dissipated.

Super was actually devised to be looked at as modifications to 10/10 with the intention of intensifying the work as you grew bored with 10/10 or started plateauing. I would recommend that as your body asks for it add in one or two modifications. It's not really necessary to make a complete switch. My personal routines are very eclectic, containing movements from all the different routines out there plus new ones being developed in studios around the world. (I love google). This has meant that my muscles no longer have the opportunity to get complacent. I'm always keeping them guessing and changing.

Almost vacation time.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:49 PM   #25
Junior LCF Member

I like what Susan53 said about adding the Supercallanetics in small stages. I personally don't need to do much with my legs. The 10/10 are enough. I add several more of the variations in the stomach exercises. Sometimes I don't add them every time I exercise and add them one or two times a week instead. I think it varies with every body. I have been at this for three months and just beginning to add some of the stomach variations like putting my leg out for the cross over torso twist. I am starting slow and doing 25 of these and 75 of the regular on each side. Slow strides, yes but long lasting results without pain. Worth every pulse.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:19 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Yeah, adding it slowly is the way to go. I was doing that, either adding something extra or doing an alternative once in a while, but I like the beauty and flow of 10/10 as it is. Also, I find the 10/10 exercises work your body, mind and spirit slightly differently, which I believe is beneficial to maintain, not move on from. After doing the extras and alternatives for a while, I had developed enough understanding and experience to create a whole hour of these, and so a different experience altogether, perhaps because with Super moves, I still feel like a beginner? It wasn't too long ago, I decided I needed to maintain my full pure hour of 10/10 and have another alternative day, and this works well for me. I think over time, as my strength and flexibility develop further, my Super/alternative day will become just as relaxing and meditative as my 10/10 day, and I'm anticipating that very excitedly. For now though, the relaxation part is... less consistent.

Today was my 10/10 day, and I'm feeling amazing in this body of mine.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:42 PM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bacon
Stats: 185/151.6/145
WOE: Moderate carb, Paleo-ish
Finished session 2 of 8 with a 10/10 workout. Was feeling kinda yucky and low energy today because of a cheat night catching up with me, but am feeling better after this session!
Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:14 PM   #28
Junior LCF Member

3/10 so far
Old 02-07-2014, 08:51 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: happyone
Stats: 166.6/151.8/135 -5'4"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restart 11/31/13
Hello everyone. After reading reviews on callanetics, I decided to pick up the 10 years younger in 10 hours dvd. here are some problems i encountered, i would appreciate if someone would give me some insight.

-i felt like i was straining my neck for all the abdominal exercises in the beginning
-not sure how to approach the moves where my legs are over the bar. I tried doing it on a chair but gave up after the chair kept moving and i got uncomfortable

everything went pretty well
happyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 02:38 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyone View Post
Hello everyone. After reading reviews on callanetics, I decided to pick up the 10 years younger in 10 hours dvd. here are some problems i encountered, i would appreciate if someone would give me some insight.

-i felt like i was straining my neck for all the abdominal exercises in the beginning
-not sure how to approach the moves where my legs are over the bar. I tried doing it on a chair but gave up after the chair kept moving and i got uncomfortable

everything went pretty well
happyone. The neck discomfort you describe is fairly common during the first couple sessions because you are still learning how to let your abs do all the work. At first there is a strong tendency to try to use the muscles of the back and to pulse with the head, which strains the neck. If it is a real problem you can interlock your fingers behind your head and rest the head there as you pulse. If you choose to do this you need to be careful to keep the elbows out to the side and resist the urge to pull with your arms.

Callanetics is a program that has you working the small muscles close to the skeleton. This requires you to learn to keep the big muscles we are so used to paying attention to as relaxed as is humanly possible. When you curl up for the abs you are initially working to get those elbows up as high as you comfortably can to get maximum curl but when you release you need to keep everything stable and relaxed. I've been working with an instructor who has trained me to keep the arms beside the body as I curl up instead of grabbing hold of the legs first. I found this approach helped me to better focus on the abs as I curl up, then I grab hold and lift the elbows high to stretch out the back. Before you release take a deep relaxing breath and on the exhale relax your abs down as though you are melting them into the floor. I always envision mine laying along the curled spine. Lengthen out along your counter extensions through the crown and through the hips into the legs keeping everything open and free. It helps to release one hand at a time, giving your scapulae relax down the back and out to the sides. This stabilizes the core, then you release the other hand and begin pulsing. As you work keep extending through the crown as you keep the back and head completely relaxed. The pulse begins right below the breasts and the only muscles meant to work are the abs. In the beginning it seems improbable but I assure you it will quickly get easier to execute.

When working with legs up think feather light. Let them float. The stronger you become the easier it is to make that a reality and you will become stronger much more quickly than you anticipate. As you practice more you will become more adept at letting the abs do all the work. Just stay as relaxed as you can and then relax even more. I used to teach students to keep their face, fingers and toes as relaxed as they could and that would help keep everything in between relaxed. If you part your lips ever-so-slightly and rest the tip of your tongue lightly on the roof of your mouth you won't be able to scrunch up your face.

The real secrets are work only the abs and relax, relax, relax. If you are having difficulty keeping your breathing deep and regular you are probably too tense in the upper back and neck. The pulsing movement is minute but the results are spectacular. You'll get it.

As far as the heel and arch on the barre, I can share that the best place I found in my own home was the kitchen sink. It's a good height for most and it's a very stable surface that allows something of a handhold. I have actually dropped these two from my regular routine, on the advice of my instructor who was uncomfortable with the possibility of damage to the joint due to the severity of the stretch. I understand that the thoughtful nature of Callanetics makes any damage highly unlikely but there are other points in my routine that give me that severe hamstring stretch with less concern. It's a personal choice. However, I did them at my kitchen sink for many, many years. I remember a class I lead once that met in an auditorium and we used the seats for this movement. Bolted to the floor these were incredibly stable and you could really let yourself go. I laugh that one of my reasons for having a barre mounted in my home was to do these movements properly and no sooner did I install it I stopped doing them. It's ok though because there are many other uses for the barre and I couldn't be happier with the investment.

If you have any other questions we are here to help.