LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2014, 07:49 PM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: susanw53
Stats: 238.9/195.2/155
WOE: Just sensible control
Start Date: Callanetics, 7/98, restart 5/2013
8/12 February

Welcome Kat and MizTenaciousT. Kat, I'm assuming things are going well for you. If you have any questions let us know. To answer you, I've noticed that the most dramatic initial changes are undeniable somewhere between 20 and 30 sessions. Up until then the changes are so subtle that we tend to overlook them, although you can FEEL the changes after the first hour. My next really big point was somewhere around 50 sessions. I'm at 104 now and it's really exciting these days. Take some pictures to use as a control. Every 30-40 sessions repeat them and compare. You can't ignore the visual proof.

MizTenaciousT I always recommend you start with 10/10. It is the basis for all things Callanetics and if you can do them you are on the way to sculpting your body in unprecedented ways. After you gain a certain mastery with the basic series I would recommend you get a copy of Evolution. It approaches the work from a different perspective and offers a more organic, almost 3-D feel to the movements. Many of the movements introduced in Evo have found a permanent home in my personal routine. There are some nice YouTube videos loaded during the 12 Days of Callanetics Christmas that will give you a good taste for some of the current improvements to the program. The info in previous Challenge posts is invaluable and always worth a trip through. Callanetics should be a good fit for you with its demand for a strong mind/body connection and meditative approach. We're here for support, motivation and education. Lastly, be gentle with yourself and laugh at your body's temporary limitations. Take all the breaks you need to keep working in peak position. And relax. Relax some more.

I worked my way through my own session today with my brother-in-law's music coming through the floorboards (his apartment is below ours) while his brother practiced his didgeridoo 6 ft. away from where I was pulsing. I love this program so much I was able to block all that out and focus on my body and the changes going on. There were some pretty comical times though. Since any video was out of the question I opted to just free flow it and ended up feeling pretty good. I get a little heavy on the Hips and Behind but only because I so enjoy the many new options I'm exploring. My newest advancement still has me a bit gun shy, almost expecting it to have been a fluke. I'm glad to say it was even better today.

I'm starting another love affair with the Waist Stretch. It's always amused me that they are listed as Warm Ups. Nine months later and I'm still learning to let those lateral surface muscles melt like wax as I pulse and I just love the way it feels to drive the weight down into both heels as you lengthen through the spine and out through the crown. Today I tried something new, inspired by an instructor. She pointed out that after you've been pulsing for a bit lift further out of the pelvis without shifting the pelvis itself and stretch over a bit more. Then she suggested we focus the pulse at the obliques, right above the iliac spine instead of higher near the ribs. It was a very interesting adjustment. It had never occurred to me to change the focus of where the pulse was centered in this movement. I need to be more playful. I'll be interested to see what difference this change makes.

Anybody else think of Callanetics as self massage?

On to other things. Happy pulsing all.
susanw53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2014, 08:21 PM   #62
Kat
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Kat
Stats: 160/158/145
WOE: Low/Moderate Carb
Start Date: 1/28/14
Hi Miz,

Welcome! I just started out with the 10 in 10 DVD (which I heard is the best way to go). Also, our stats are pretty similar so maybe we can motivate each other. I'll be 35 in November and I wanted to get back in shape and keep thing together. Best of luck to you!

Kat
Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:30 PM   #63
Kat
Junior LCF Member

Thank-you SusanW for the info!!! Glad the workout when great for you this evening. Isn't it something, I was also doing my stretches tonight while my hubby was running a marathon on the treadmill (while listening to House music) but, I was ablt to concentrate fully...Have a nice evening
Old 02-20-2014, 01:03 PM   #64
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MizTenaciousT
Stats: 176/169/145
WOE: Paleo/Primal (most of the time)
Susan and Kat,

Susan,

I love didgeridoo! I find it to be very meditative to listen to, so I bet you got a good exercise session in. I really like the idea of "meditation in motion." Sign me up! I tend to be a little on the anxious side, so anything to help me chill out is good I'm really curious now that you mention the concept of Callanetics as self massage. I used to be a massage therapist but had to stop because my hands started to develop some problems (so now I'm back in college and sitting all day...) so I'll be looking for that.

Kat, yes, let's help keep each other motivated! I like this forum, it's great to find community. Go us! <3

Okay ladies, 10 in 10 is what I'll get. I'm off to order it now. I can't wait!
MizTenaciousT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:16 PM   #65
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: callangirl
Stats: 255/149/135
Start Date: July 3, 2012
8/12 this month...

MizTenaciousT & Kat -So glad that you could join us! MizT... I can relate to the work/school situation. Finding time to workout is a challenge, but with Callanetics you feel as though you're not wasting time; you'll see results in a short period of time compared to many other types of exercise.

Susan53, the didgeridoo? How interesting.

Last edited by callangirl; 02-21-2014 at 06:21 PM..
callangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:36 AM   #66
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Susan179
Stats: Weight 155
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Nov. 1, 2013
9/12 Woo Hoo! Doing much better this month.
Susan179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:35 PM   #67
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bacon
Stats: 185/160/150
WOE: Moderate carb, Paleo-ish
Session 7/8 complete!
Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:15 PM   #68
Junior LCF Member

I just sprained my back so I am out for the rest of the month. Hopefully I can start again in March. So sad.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:11 AM   #69
rex
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rex
Hi,
I am new to Callanetics and have some questions. (I have tried looking in the archive but didn't find exactly what I was looking for. If these questions have come up before please help me find them) You all seem to know what you are doing, and I would appreciate your help.

I have done the 10/10 video 3 times so far. None of the times have I been able to do the behind exercises. I just don't get them. I try to follow the instructions but I don't feel it where I am supposed to, it really hurts in the leg/buttock I am sitting on, it is like all my weight is distributed on to my hip/sitting bone (don't know what to call it) and puts pressure on it. It hurts even when I do it on a thick yoga mat. Now I try to do it lying on the side instead, but then I don't feel it in my behind. Do any of you have any suggestions on how to moderate these exercises? Or to do them properly?

Same with the lower back stretch, I don't feel it in the lower back, it doesn't do anything for me, even though I have tried to study the video several times to see what I am doing wrong. How do I do it right? All the other exercises gets harder and harder the better I get, but these ones I can barely feel at all. Clearly I am doing something wrong.
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:12 AM   #70
Kat
Junior LCF Member

Susan,

I hope you feel better very soon!!! Get plenty of R&R...

Kat
Old 02-24-2014, 08:19 AM   #71
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex View Post
Hi,
I am new to Callanetics and have some questions. (I have tried looking in the archive but didn't find exactly what I was looking for. If these questions have come up before please help me find them) You all seem to know what you are doing, and I would appreciate your help.

I have done the 10/10 video 3 times so far. None of the times have I been able to do the behind exercises. I just don't get them. I try to follow the instructions but I don't feel it where I am supposed to, it really hurts in the leg/buttock I am sitting on, it is like all my weight is distributed on to my hip/sitting bone (don't know what to call it) and puts pressure on it. It hurts even when I do it on a thick yoga mat. Now I try to do it lying on the side instead, but then I don't feel it in my behind. Do any of you have any suggestions on how to moderate these exercises? Or to do them properly?

Same with the lower back stretch, I don't feel it in the lower back, it doesn't do anything for me, even though I have tried to study the video several times to see what I am doing wrong. How do I do it right? All the other exercises gets harder and harder the better I get, but these ones I can barely feel at all. Clearly I am doing something wrong.
Hi rex. That's the bare minimum to go on but I'll give it my best shot.

The Hips and Behind movements can be a bit confusing in the beginning, so take a breath and tell yourself you're in good company. The 10/10 video only touches on the idea of counter extensions when she speaks of growing taller through the crown. However, to execute these movements to greatest effect you need to be familiar with the one that runs from the sit bones through the knee and out through the heel of the foot. It is the lengthening simultaneously through the crown and the knee or heel (depending on whether the knee is bent or the leg extended) that allows the extremity to lift off the floor without consciously contracting any big muscles, or any muscles for that matter. It only lifts just off the floor. If you're any higher than right above the floor sit more upright and get your core aligned.

Done properly the action of these movements are so subtle sometimes that they can be deceptive. I'm pretty sure that's why Callan suggested you place your hand over the area you are working and feel for the action. When I'm really zoned in you can barely see the movement, but as I progress there's a deep quiver that develops, still controllable but fascinating. For years I tried too hard on these movements, squeezing the dickens out of my glutes and scooping that pelvis under for all it was worth. Last year my instructor trained me to let go of the strain, stop giving all that effort to the big superficial muscles and remember that Callanetics is about training the small muscles that hug the skeletal system. (I have to smile because I always hear her British/Australian accent for 'skel-E-tal ) As soon as I learned to work relaxed and effortless my results became more profound. I highly recommend making the change. There's an excellent recent YouTube video on Callanetics Hip and Behind exercise that perfectly illustrates this concept as well as its application to the very exercises we are discussing. Life is sweet.

Where Callan instructs "tighten and tilt" I want you to first think of lengthening the lower back by letting the sit bones reach for the floor which will effect a tiny upwards tilt to the pelvis bringing your pubic bones into alignment with your pelvis. From here on out I want you to train yourself to keep your lower ribs relaxed and down, floating above the pelvis, and the ribs, pelvis and pubic bones all nicely aligned and stable. Once you are in position you begin lengthening through the crown and the heel as you slowly lean to the other side until you achieve lift off. The stronger you become the more upright you will be.

Now begin pulsing. Keep thinking about growing taller through the crown. Grow longer. Relax the waist. Relax the hips. Relax the shoulders. As you breathe deeply and slowly relax on each exhale as you grow taller. Extend through the heel. Keep the ribs relaxed and down. Counter extensions in place. Keep breathing. Relax the waist. Grow taller. The litany never stops. Sorry, I fell into instructor mode there. See all the relaxing that has to go on?

The Callanetics Paradox: you expend less effort but end up working deeper and stronger to greater effect.

It sounds to me like you may be leaning to the front as you pulse, putting undue pressure on your supporting side. If you are, then you are throwing that lower ribs-pelvis-pubic alignment out of line and it needs to be adjusted. What I mean here is that although you are leaning to the side you should not be leaning either forwards or backwards. You always want the lower ribs floating above the pelvis and the pubic bones on that same stable plane. This keeps your core stable. The lengthening of your lower back helps to straighten and protect the lower back and the stable and lengthened core keeps all the work focused where you want it. If your discomfort (I'm assuming you know the difference between real pain and the discomfort of our bodies changing shape) is being caused by having to lean over too far initially, rest assured you will quickly strengthen so this should be temporary.

The variation from Callanetics Evolution is lying on the side supported by the upper arm, in a lateral plank position. Here you want to be careful to stay lengthened through the crown keeping your waist from collapsing down as you work, but the rest of the movement is pretty much the same.

The Torso Twist. Typically everyone's favorite. Another one I used to try too hard on. You have me a bit confused here when you say You don't feel this in the lower back. I'm trying to imagine that. Is your foot resting on the floor? Are your lower ribs relaxed and down? Are both shoulders melting to the floor completely free of any tension? Can you turn your head in the opposite direction and feel the muscles running down your spine relax and contract in harmony? Are the backs of your hands resting flat to the floor? If so then just enjoy the breathing time as you gear up for some lovely rotations. I no longer pulse here but simply rest and feel for ways to release tension and relax even more. It's really an all-over stretch but that lengthened lower back is primary.

I'm sure I raised more questions. It's kind of playing phone tag when working through a forum. We have the advantage of multiple voices.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:21 AM   #72
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan179 View Post
I just sprained my back so I am out for the rest of the month. Hopefully I can start again in March. So sad.
Ouch Susan. I feel for you. Google Feldenkrais. Saved my life.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:03 AM   #73
Junior LCF Member

Susan53
Thanks, I'll try that. I was probably too ambitious with the weights. I think I took on too many pounds too soon and started to feel it. Will be back in the swing of things in a week. The doc said I could start back with the Callanetics next week but slowly.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:43 PM   #74
Senior LCF Member

9/12 February

This was the most exasperating week in a long time. Last minute scheduling adjustments at odd times resulted it my missing out on Callanetics for an entire week! I tried hard to keep a cheerful disposition but sometimes I get frustrated about how easy it can be to eliminate my priorities over other's needs. Callanetics is how I stay sane with all the madness life throws at you. My salvation was in the forgiving nature of Callanetics. I knew that as soon as I started it would be wonderful, with deeper, more thoughtful pulsing. It's the Callanetics way.

The simultaneous lengthening through the counter extensions is progressing marvelously. There were points today where it worked so well I giggled. The more "open" I can create beneath the skin the more power I can put into the pulse and the more focused the results.

I've decided that it's time to actively pursue certification. If all I ever do is train a few private students and offer advice here I want to offer the assurance that I have studied the program with serious intent and am qualified to answer the more technical questions with professional backing. It's been a dream of mine for over 25 years and part of the confusion over the past week was me trying to figure out how to slot the pursuit of a new career into my busy lifestyle. The week began with a stark reminder of why I cut down on my work hours to begin with when my husband developed problems with using his legs to even get around our tiny apartment. It's not going to be without it's challenges, but by God I'm going to see it through. I want to thank you all for helping me find my Callanetics voice again.

Susan, sometimes it's hard to remember we're not kids anymore. Be very gentle with yourself. Triple slow motion and listen carefully. Possibly be more concerned with relaxing than pulsing for the first time. Callanetics is already working to strengthen your back so it will probably heal up faster than you anticipate. Backs are such a challenge.

Happy pulsing all.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:04 PM   #75
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rosebud87
I slipped on ice and fell on my tailbone. 2 weeks later, it still hurts. I've been afraid of putting sessions in, but tomorrow I will try.

I have another question about the leg exercises in Evo. Are there any that work the back of the thigh really well? Can someone kindly describe it to me?
rosebud87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:44 PM   #76
Senior LCF Member

rex, glad you could join us!

susan53, I think that's wonderful you're planning on getting certification in Callanetics; you seem to love sharing tips and recommendations. This may be your life's calling...

Sorry to hear about your fall rosebud87, and about your back Susan179 I wish you both a speedy recovery.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:45 AM   #77
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Prithi
9 hrs done this month. Was hoping for 15 hrs but was down with cold for a week, hoping to catch up next month.
Fell great so far and I am actually enjoying- Now that never happened with my gym classes. There are lot of changes in my post baby belly and I can see my waist again my arms and face are slimming down. can't wait to measure myself by end of this month.
Prithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:52 AM   #78
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prithi View Post
9 hrs done this month. Was hoping for 15 hrs but was down with cold for a week, hoping to catch up next month.
Fell great so far and I am actually enjoying- Now that never happened with my gym classes. There are lot of changes in my post baby belly and I can see my waist again my arms and face are slimming down. can't wait to measure myself by end of this month.
WTG Prithi! I know that my figure is changing quicker than ever before thanks to Callanetics. I think I'll be posting my results in March.

9/12 for this month

Last edited by callangirl; 02-25-2014 at 09:58 AM..
Old 02-25-2014, 10:48 AM   #79
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bacon
Stats: 185/160/150
WOE: Moderate carb, Paleo-ish
Awesome advice for hip/behind exercises, Susan! Excited for you to pursue certification

Finished up session 8/8 over the weekend. Would like to find some time for one more AM/PM session during the week. I love how relaxed I feel after a PM session!
Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:27 AM   #80
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Amata
Stats: 5'3" getting to slim and healthy
WOE: Fewer and healthier calories
[QUOTE=susanw53;16813519]
I've decided that it's time to actively pursue certification. If all I ever do is train a few private students and offer advice here I want to offer the assurance that I have studied the program with serious intent and am qualified to answer the more technical questions with professional backing. It's been a dream of mine for over 25 years and part of the confusion over the past week was me trying to figure out how to slot the pursuit of a new career into my busy lifestyle. The week began with a stark reminder of why I cut down on my work hours to begin with when my husband developed problems with using his legs to even get around our tiny apartment. It's not going to be without it's challenges, but by God I'm going to see it through. I want to thank you all for helping me find my Callanetics voice again.

Coming out of my lurking hibernation to wish you well with your certification process, Susan! So worthwhile. You've really become a sort of Callanetics ambassador - I love reading your posts and incorporating new things into my own sessions, so thank you for all the trouble you've already put into this for us.
I wish you and all the others, active or more quiet like me, all the best on this wonderful journey.
Monique
Amata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:31 PM   #81
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mayleesa
Stats: (5'5") 209/176.4/140lb
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 12/26/2013
I have started 2 new jobs, which makes 3 total these past 2 weeks, I haven't had a minute to even breathe let alone work out........I hope to rejoin callan soon and maybe just on weekends as that's the only free time I have...I have done 7 this month out of the 12 I hoped for better than none but I'm hoping I can be not so busy soon.....
mayleesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:51 PM   #82
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MizTenaciousT
Stats: 176/169/145
WOE: Paleo/Primal (most of the time)
First off: CONGRATS Susanw53 on your decision to pursue certification. From the bit that I've read so far, I think you'll be a dynamite instructor. You've already helped several people here, and I'm sure the certification process will not only deepen your knowledge base, but also deepen your personal practice. Hurrah! <3

Rosebud87, and Susan179: I hope you both feel better soon! <3 <3 <3

Update on my newbie experience:

I received the dvd in the mail yesterday and watched some of it, with the intention of giving it a try today. My first impression was uncertainty about how effective these exercises were going to be. HOWEVER! I tried it today (just finished in fact), and wowza! I love it, I felt it (zing, zing, zing in my glutes, hips and abs, oh my goodness) and I'm looking forward to keeping at it. I can see how the "meditation in motion" idea comes through. It reminds me a little of Tai-Chi married to Yoga with a bit of Pilates and ballet. And I love all the stretching after the exercises! So many other videos barely stretch at all.

Also, the flashback to the 80's made me giggle! Those high-cut leotards, lol! Got to love it. The video is a nice change from some of the super-hyped up videos that are all over the market today. Callan's voice is so gentle, so supportive, I found myself closing my eyes so I could just hear her voice and tune into the movement. I really liked it.

Okay, so I've put in my first hour of ten. I'm going to do another hour on Thursday to make it two hours for February. Then, in March I'm going to aim for 8 sessions total, using the video twice a week. I also bought the AM/PM dvd for the days when I can't fit an entire hour in for some reason. I'm looking forward to trying that one out too. Maybe I'll give it a whirl on Thursday. :-)

Yay! Talk to you all soon!
MizTenaciousT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:54 PM   #83
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayleesa View Post
I have started 2 new jobs, which makes 3 total these past 2 weeks, I haven't had a minute to even breathe let alone work out........I hope to rejoin callan soon and maybe just on weekends as that's the only free time I have...I have done 7 this month out of the 12 I hoped for better than none but I'm hoping I can be not so busy soon.....
Hang in there Mayleesa. Life can get complicated sometimes. Thankfully you practice Callanetics, the most forgiving fitness program I know. Try to get at least one in a week as you adjust. It will tide you over as you adjust.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:04 PM   #84
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Prithi
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanw53 View Post
Hi rex. That's the bare minimum to go on but I'll give it my best shot.

The Hips and Behind movements can be a bit confusing in the beginning, so take a breath and tell yourself you're in good company. The 10/10 video only touches on the idea of counter extensions when she speaks of growing taller through the crown. However, to execute these movements to greatest effect you need to be familiar with the one that runs from the sit bones through the knee and out through the heel of the foot. It is the lengthening simultaneously through the crown and the knee or heel (depending on whether the knee is bent or the leg extended) that allows the extremity to lift off the floor without consciously contracting any big muscles, or any muscles for that matter. It only lifts just off the floor. If you're any higher than right above the floor sit more upright and get your core aligned.

Done properly the action of these movements are so subtle sometimes that they can be deceptive. I'm pretty sure that's why Callan suggested you place your hand over the area you are working and feel for the action. When I'm really zoned in you can barely see the movement, but as I progress there's a deep quiver that develops, still controllable but fascinating. For years I tried too hard on these movements, squeezing the dickens out of my glutes and scooping that pelvis under for all it was worth. Last year my instructor trained me to let go of the strain, stop giving all that effort to the big superficial muscles and remember that Callanetics is about training the small muscles that hug the skeletal system. (I have to smile because I always hear her British/Australian accent for 'skel-E-tal ) As soon as I learned to work relaxed and effortless my results became more profound. I highly recommend making the change. There's an excellent recent YouTube video on Callanetics Hip and Behind exercise that perfectly illustrates this concept as well as its application to the very exercises we are discussing. Life is sweet.

Where Callan instructs "tighten and tilt" I want you to first think of lengthening the lower back by letting the sit bones reach for the floor which will effect a tiny upwards tilt to the pelvis bringing your pubic bones into alignment with your pelvis. From here on out I want you to train yourself to keep your lower ribs relaxed and down, floating above the pelvis, and the ribs, pelvis and pubic bones all nicely aligned and stable. Once you are in position you begin lengthening through the crown and the heel as you slowly lean to the other side until you achieve lift off. The stronger you become the more upright you will be.

Now begin pulsing. Keep thinking about growing taller through the crown. Grow longer. Relax the waist. Relax the hips. Relax the shoulders. As you breathe deeply and slowly relax on each exhale as you grow taller. Extend through the heel. Keep the ribs relaxed and down. Counter extensions in place. Keep breathing. Relax the waist. Grow taller. The litany never stops. Sorry, I fell into instructor mode there. See all the relaxing that has to go on?

The Callanetics Paradox: you expend less effort but end up working deeper and stronger to greater effect.

It sounds to me like you may be leaning to the front as you pulse, putting undue pressure on your supporting side. If you are, then you are throwing that lower ribs-pelvis-pubic alignment out of line and it needs to be adjusted. What I mean here is that although you are leaning to the side you should not be leaning either forwards or backwards. You always want the lower ribs floating above the pelvis and the pubic bones on that same stable plane. This keeps your core stable. The lengthening of your lower back helps to straighten and protect the lower back and the stable and lengthened core keeps all the work focused where you want it. If your discomfort (I'm assuming you know the difference between real pain and the discomfort of our bodies changing shape) is being caused by having to lean over too far initially, rest assured you will quickly strengthen so this should be temporary.

The variation from Callanetics Evolution is lying on the side supported by the upper arm, in a lateral plank position. Here you want to be careful to stay lengthened through the crown keeping your waist from collapsing down as you work, but the rest of the movement is pretty much the same.

The Torso Twist. Typically everyone's favorite. Another one I used to try too hard on. You have me a bit confused here when you say You don't feel this in the lower back. I'm trying to imagine that. Is your foot resting on the floor? Are your lower ribs relaxed and down? Are both shoulders melting to the floor completely free of any tension? Can you turn your head in the opposite direction and feel the muscles running down your spine relax and contract in harmony? Are the backs of your hands resting flat to the floor? If so then just enjoy the breathing time as you gear up for some lovely rotations. I no longer pulse here but simply rest and feel for ways to release tension and relax even more. It's really an all-over stretch but that lengthened lower back is primary.

I'm sure I raised more questions. It's kind of playing phone tag when working through a forum. We have the advantage of multiple voices.
Wow susanw53 great explanation. I saw those videos on Youtube you mentioned. They are great and I have been incorporating a few stretches along with my 10/10 workout. I recommend everyone to watch the videos for better understanding.
Prithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:20 AM   #85
Senior LCF Member

I'm glad you found the videos Prithi. In my opinion they are an invaluable resource to this thread. I'm anticipating an update to 10/10 in the future. It is long past necessary.

Thank you all for the encouragement. This process might have been simpler as a younger woman but then I wouldn't have all this patience and worldly wisdom to pull from. I'm so thankful to have this supportive group cheering me on as I train myself to share the joy of Callanetics in a digital age.

MizTenaciousT, you are going to love this program. Callanetics tends to attract a particular type of personality and I see that all over your posts. Remember, gentle with your body and laugh a lot. The changes come fast and furious. Enjoy.

Hoping to sneak a session in this morning. Happy pulsing all.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:27 AM   #86
Senior LCF Member

10/12
Old 02-26-2014, 01:45 PM   #87
Kat
Junior LCF Member

Congrats Susanw53!!! You will be a dynamic instructor...all the best to you
Old 02-26-2014, 03:08 PM   #88
Senior LCF Member

10/12 February

Callangirl You rock girl. Quiet consistency. Sweet.

Monique I'm so glad you drop in every now and then to say hello. I like knowing you're still out there.

I got a bit overwhelmed by all the big questions staring at me today. I'm looking for a way to balance my dream of becoming certified with the needs of my family without shortchanging anyone. Before I run headlong into the pursuit I need to determine what my endgame is. No matter how I approach it "going back to school" demands sacrifice on everyone's part and we all need to be committed to excellence. Am I ready for this? Is Dale ready for this? Can I work it out so that my time with Dale is minimally affected? The questions are unending. Sometimes I tend to overthink. I feel a great responsibility to justify the expenditure of that much in family resources and time. As the stress began to climb I suddenly realized that I was scheduled for a Callanetics session so I let myself get lost in the glory of body sculpting and let my mind settle down. I'm centered again.

Frequently I get frustrated with how challenging this will be to schedule. I remind myself that Callanetics was designed to offer maximal results from minimal time invested. This is one of the points I am most passionate about. Investing 3-5 hours maximum a week in 2-3 sessions can gently lead you back to fitness and alignment or maintain your body at a natural fitness level, all no-impact, smooth and flowing. Leaving more free time for the rest of life and creating the strength and calmness of spirit to successfully meet all of life's little challenges. We're mostly women. Masters of multi-tasking. We can use all the help we can get. It's nice to have the me time too, the acknowledgement that I am worth it. And let's face it; what other program pulls in your body like Callanetics? Wow! So I'll figure out how to make it all work and keep everybody laughing because I am driven to pass this knowledge on. And laughing is so much more fun than crying.

I want to encourage you to learn to extend through the counter extensions simultaneously. It's one of the keys to real success with Callanetics. I was listening to one of my instructors today as she explained the concept of the position isolating the muscle and the pulse training it. Because the positions are so effective there is no need to consciously contract any muscles. As you lengthen along the counter extensions you create a prime atmosphere for muscle malleability. Pulsing becomes smaller and more controlled. There was a time, not so long ago, when I wasn't certain that it was possible for me to learn to relax the muscle I was training, but here I am doing it. It all starts with learning to create that sense of tension caused by lengthening in opposite directions.

Counter Extensions
- Sit-bones through crown, (think through the spine)
- Sit-bones through heel
- Across upper back, Scapula through tip of middle finger
- Joint of big toe across foot through joint of little toe (keeping weight into heels; you should be able to easily lift your toes up)

By lengthening along the counter extensions you improve the flow of electricity, allowing the efficient conversation between the brain and the body. You enhance the free flow of oxygen, the fuel for those muscles you are training. Hydration is a seamless process. The lymphatic system benefits from unobstructed access to elimination systems. Your muscles receive the maximum benefit of the process when you learn to create internal openness and marry it with focused control, pulsing relaxed and effortless. Opps. There I go slipping into passion again.

Happy pulsing all. Great work this month. Heal quickly Susan179 and rosebud87.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:41 AM   #89
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Amata
Stats: 5'3" getting to slim and healthy
WOE: Fewer and healthier calories
Dear Susanw53, your fears and doubts are normal, don't you think? Once we take the plunge to whatever, something starts nagging. The more important the goal is to us, the greater the fears, too. Just centering and reminding yourself how GOOD it feels will get you through it every time.
Don't forget how much practice you've already put in educating us all - a huge asset which will probably save you time in the end!
Keep it up. :-)
Monique
Amata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:17 AM   #90
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amata View Post
Dear Susanw53, your fears and doubts are normal, don't you think? Once we take the plunge to whatever, something starts nagging. The more important the goal is to us, the greater the fears, too. Just centering and reminding yourself how GOOD it feels will get you through it every time.
Don't forget how much practice you've already put in educating us all - a huge asset which will probably save you time in the end!
Keep it up. :-)
Monique
Thank you Monique. You always say the sweetest things. It is my goal to be the fastest certification they ever presented. With 25 years of flirting and a history of teaching group classes in the early 90s it's a matter of refining technique to be able to work with individuals more effectively and learning to incorporate the new advances. That talent my instructors have of being able to lead a class and still keep talking is going to be my biggest hurdle. I can't figure out how to keep the count. When I taught before it was more as a class leader, so we were all working together, very informal. This demands a deeper understanding of the technique.

I have no intention of removing my teaching talents away from this thread. My dedication to this thread is solid. I seriously doubt any of you would be traveling to Pittsburgh so there is no problem with anyone thinking I am promoting my business. I have a serious drive to educate others in the nuances of Callanetics and this is one of my two favorite sites to do so. I'm here to stay girls.

I started my day by ordering my copy of Tom Myers Anatomy Trains. I agonized over that expenditure for months! Ridiculous. Last week I broke down and got Katy Bowman's Alignment Matters and her Every Woman's Guide to Foot Pain Relief. Added to my copy of Feldenkrais's Awareness Through Movement my initial reading list is finally complete. I feel like I'm back in college again.