Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > The Exercise Board
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2014, 11:36 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DarienFalks
Excerising has stopped my fat/inches loss.

I'm a 28 year old male, rather short at 5'8 and started doing low carb in March 2012 at 255lbs. By January 2013 I had went down to 177lbs. At this point I had did some serious stalling (Carb Creep), but I stuck with it off and on and manage to stay between 180-185.

I then got a job where I get a free gym membership and starting going on my one hour lunch. I got back on low carb and starting working out 5 days a week with a couple of friends here at work. Well this is were I screwed up.

My Routine.

Monday-Spin
Tuesday- Plyos/crossfit or Full body work out
Wednesday- Spin
Thursday- Heavy Leg day
Friday- Crossfit class which I call "The Death Class"

My weight loss instantly stopped. I was then like, well this is just because of water weight gain from lifting and probably some muscle gain. 3 months later I was the same weight and width around my stomach. Actually my legs got bigger from doing squats twice a week and had to ditch some jeans for "Loose fits" with the same waist size.
I then got fed up with dieting and took a break from it, but continued to exercise 5 days a week because it really makes you feel great. Now 6 months later I am back up to 210lbs and have gained about 5 inches on my waist.
I just started eating about 30 carbs a day again and I eat all day long when ever I'm hungry. I make sure to eat a good bit before and after my workouts and then I go easy in the PM all while keeping a good ratio of fat and protein, but my weight and inches haven't changed. Another problem is just sticking with the diet for more than 2 weeks with out cheating. I think I'm burnt out.
DarienFalks is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2014, 03:01 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NewestAtkinsFan
Stats: ~350/292/2??
WOE: M&E/Atkins On-going Induction
Start Date: April 3, 2013
Hello Darien.

Just read your story and I empathize. I am a 30 year old male (I know it's hard to spot us here on this forum, but we are around) and struggled with the mix of working out and diet for a long time myself... even before I went LC, so I just wanted to share what I've learned and maybe you can apply some of it to your plan/regimen... couldn't hurt right? Note: I know some people will greatly disagree with me when I discuss the exercise part; I am sharing what has worked for ME, it is totally subjective, no need for arguments... let's just agree to disagree.

1. You can lose weight on LC without all the excessive exercising. True, I 100% agree that exercise is a must for a healthy lifestyle, but I don't think you have to or should go at it so hard-core 5 days a week at the very beginning, esp. if you are not a pro-sports player/model/etc. It is something you have to ween into. Start off with 2 or three days a week, and then when you lose some weight or when you see that your body has plateaued then step it up to the 4-5 days a week regimen. Again, just my humble opinion. Feel free to disagree. I have NOT exercised the past three weeks due to winter weather and coldness and I've still managed to lose 4.7lbs already this month.

2. When it comes to exercise and the battle is between Weight Lifting/Resistance Training vs. Cardio, the weight lifting/resistance training always wins, regardless how often it is done. Let me explain it this way, for years I would walk and do dumbbell workouts and the scale would get higher and higher and I'd get bulkier and bulkier, that's b/c that's what weight training of any kind does.. it makes you bigger. So if you are already big and your goal is to slim down CARDIO needs to be your #1 priority... I wouldn't even look at weights/a pair of dumbbells, b/c if you use them and do a quick workout, it will pack on muscle, cause the muscle fibers to retain water and hence lead to unwanted gains on the scale and you will pack on weight.. guaranteed. I started my LC WOE back in April of '13 and strictly kept my exercise to cardio (jumping rope and walking) and have seen consistent losses.. aside from the weeks I fall of the wagon Anyway, but that's a different story. So, yes, it is okay to exercise, but at the same time, space it out. . . "everything in moderation" and as you said be aware of the muscle retention from all the exercise. And know your goal "do I want to get bigger/get some muscle?" Then lift. "Do I want to slim down/get slender/get smaller?" Then cardio.

3. Low Carb is something you have to plan and prepare for. If you have a "come what may" attitude, then yes, you will fall off the wagon, slip up, and see the weight come back and then some. Figure out the 3-5 meals you plan to have each day. Staple foods that have always given me good losses are:
ground beef, eggs, baked chicken, sugar-free jello, cucumbers/dill pickles, lettuce, mayonnaise, mustard, HWC. . . but those are just MY go to foods. You have to sit down and think of what foods are considered low carb that you can actually tolerate, and make them a part of your arsenal/menu.

I hope that sheds some light on things. But DO NOT feel bad about yourself or what has happened with the weight gain. You know it works, you have first-hand practical experience with it, just put your game-face on, and start over. Take it one day at a time. Make notes constantly of what works, what doesn't, make notes of your menu so when you do your weigh-ins you can analyze it and try to figure out "okay, which food is a stall for me?" etc. I also hope I'm not coming across as "preachy"; just wanted to share the things that I keep a mental note of to get me through the "low days" that we all have. Feel free to PM me anytime if you want. We're all here to support each other bro... you got this... I believe in you.

Cheers!

NAF
NewestAtkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:18 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Your reply and advice is greatly appreciated friend. I've known for some time that I have been training too hard, but I didn't want to stop or let down my workout buds. I think all the high intensity cardio and heavy lifts has put my body in some kind of starvation mode when doing low carb. I am cutting back to stickily light cardio 2-3 days a week. This is how I was successful towards the end of my weight loss trek when I used to do light jogging 3 times a week. (only two miles)

I love and hate the diet at this point. I too am preachy towards people that want to lose weight and I show them my before and after pics that I have in my wallet. The 77lb loss really spikes peoples interest, especially when I say that I barley worked out.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:15 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Keep posting and share how your journey goes. Feel free to PM me anytime; could always use more support and personal stories for continued motivation.

NAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarienFalks View Post
Your reply and advice is greatly appreciated friend. I've known for some time that I have been training too hard, but I didn't want to stop or let down my workout buds. I think all the high intensity cardio and heavy lifts has put my body in some kind of starvation mode when doing low carb. I am cutting back to stickily light cardio 2-3 days a week. This is how I was successful towards the end of my weight loss trek when I used to do light jogging 3 times a week. (only two miles)

I love and hate the diet at this point. I too am preachy towards people that want to lose weight and I show them my before and after pics that I have in my wallet. The 77lb loss really spikes peoples interest, especially when I say that I barley worked out.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:30 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Seems the journey isn't going well. I think I may have found my problem. I haven't been able to stick to low carb for more than two weeks. I think my body has adapted to this somehow and my only way out is to finally stick with it for the long run in order to see the results. I do lose the initial 10lbs of water weight in the first week, but from there it seems to dead stop even with working out hard.

Another issue is finding time to pre-cook lunches. I'm gone 11hours a day for work and often run out of time for making my lunch for the next day. It's a real pain in the ass haha. When I first started the diet I was living at home with the parents and my Mother really helped out by making low carb lunches for school and work. It's much harder now, especially when I come home tired and have to cook two meals every night. Another issue with not having much time or being too lazy too prepare meals is I often end up eating the same stuff over and over which in turn really burns me out on the diet. I need to make more time for increasing my menu.

I'm really trying to stick with this for a month just to see some results(inches). All I need to do is see some results or maybe have someone notice that I've lost weight and I'll have my motivation back. I haven't heard someone tell me that it looks like I've lost weight in over a year! It was a real motivator.

Last edited by DarienFalks; 02-05-2014 at 11:33 AM..
Old 02-05-2014, 01:58 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

I'm sorry that things are going rocky for you the past few weeks, but we have all been there (trust me, I know I have).

In regards to your busy schedule my suggestion would be to do what you can with what you have. So, you don't have time to pre-cook and prepare? No worries, tuna with mayo and a dill pickle makes a great meal. Pre-cooked bacon you just place in the microwave is great also. Do you have a crockpot/crock-pot? If not, why not go to your local Walmart or Dollar General or other department store and buy one; a small one can be as cheap as $15.00. The crockpot can make your low carb stews, soups, and roasts. Just set it (on low of course) and forget it until it's done cooking.

A big thing with me in regards to staying low carb was my menu itself. If I found it boring and bland, of course I would venture else where. Fill your week with foods you like; buy those tea/kool-aid stix to add flavor to your water to make it more pleasing to your tastebuds, etc.

You can do this man, b/c you have done it before so many times. It just takes the first month to make it a structured-regular routine. Also, there is NOTHING wrong with having one or 2 days to "cheat" in fact a lot of people do that. You need to do what works best for you and by "best" I mean what will allow you to stay on track and accomplish your goals without the whole scenario seeming like a chore; does that make sense?

I hope this helps and if you ever want to private message chat I am all for it.

Best of luck.

NAF

Last edited by NewestAtkinsFan; 02-05-2014 at 02:00 PM..
Old 02-06-2014, 06:19 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: batlou
Stats: 295/215/170
WOE: Atkins Low-Carb
Start Date: 3/06/2008
Sorry for your frustration. I have struggled with losing with heavy exercise as well but based on your workout schedule I don't think that is too much. 5 days a week for roughly 1 hour including a mix of strength and cardio is about what you should be doing. It's not unusual to stall either when exercising. When you say you are doing Low-Carb, what does that mean?

Could you post or let us know what a typical day is for you regarding your nutrition? It's easy to point out that exercise is the culprit but often times "carb-creep" can set in when you are exercising. I am guilty often and the only way I have had success finding the issue is measuring and logging everything for a week or so. Spices have carbs, sugar free sweetener's, coffee creamer, nut butter's etc. Sometime's a label will say 0 carbs but in actuality it has .9 per serving. If you have 4 servings then that's really 4 carbs when you think it's zero. Lastly, cheeses and nuts can stall many people.

One other thing to consider is that at some point calorie intake will matter. When you got down to 177 and maintained 180-185 it could have been the right time to cut back on calories as well to drop below 177 if that was the goal. If you read Atkins NDR it discusses this and provides good advice on how to move past it.

LCF - Journal
The Urban Primate - My Journey to Better Health

Last edited by batlou; 02-06-2014 at 06:23 AM..
batlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:39 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

You are right. I should start tracking what I eat and keep count of my carbs. Before it just worked by eating the foods from the Atkins food list.

Yesterdays Meals:
Breakfast: 4 slices of bacon and Atkins shake, coffe with 1carb of creamer and 2 packs of splenda
Snack: Some beef jerky and cheese cubes (probably my downfall), diet coke
Lunch 1pm after gym: 2 hot dogs with low sugar ketchup, sugar free jello, crystal lite.
Snack: Emerald 100 calorie vanilla roasted almonds, Another Coffe
Dinner: Steak and small helping of green beans, Crystal Lite
Old 02-06-2014, 11:16 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: batlou
Stats: 295/215/170
WOE: Atkins Low-Carb
Start Date: 3/06/2008
I am looking at your meals and seeing roughly 40 Carbs with the unknown being the Atkins shake. I am assuming they are sweetening this thing with some sort of fake sweetener. Usually those things are more like 20-30 Actual carbs with a net of 3-5 which would put you closer to 55-65.

Regarding eating from the Acceptable Foods List, I don't see anything in your diet that is on the acceptable food list other than maybe the steak, bacon depending on how it's cured, green beans, coffee and diet coke.

Atkins Acceptable Food List
batlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:39 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

I think it could even be high than 40 carbs. Now that its in front of me I do see some of my many errors here. Another thing I worry about is eating chicken wings (Buffalo&Garlic). Yes they are low carb, but at 90 calories a wing and an aveage size of 12 wings per order, you are eating a lot of calories.

I will start keeping tack of my carbs. I can't believe I didn't think to do this before. What would you suggest I pack for lunch/snacks? I tend to get hungry after my lunch/gym hour.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:34 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Suggestions for snacks/meals

-tuna and mayo with a dill pickle
-chicken salad with relish
-bunless (no bun) cheeseburgers (if cheese does not stall you)
-meatballs
-baked chicken
-Quiches
- low carb pizza (mozerrela, pepperoni, low carb pizza sauce)
Old 02-06-2014, 01:39 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

That is all stuff I already eat. You guys try the Atkins frozen meals? They seem very unhealthy. I bought them to use in a pinch just in case I come home late and don't have time to make lunch for the next day.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:31 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

When I first started I bought them, but found them useless. The portions were too small/I was constantly hungry, and I do believe there are some hidden carbs and what not in them. So, I try to stay away from the meals at all cost.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:58 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

They are small portions and very high in salt. I had a Bullet Proof Coffee this morning for breakfast. Read about it on this site and people were saying it keeps you full till lunch. Well it tasted pretty good I must admit, made my stomach feel werid. Kinda felt like heavy grease sitting in your stomach. It totally didn't hold my hunger off. I drank it around 7am and was hungry at 9am.

Not sure if its related, but I was extra stinky in the gym today. Didn't even recognize my own stench. I think the Butter Coconut Oil Coffee was seeping through my sweat glands haha.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:00 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Peace
Stats: 115
WOE: stillmans
Weight loss and exercise

Hi

New here Trying to lose the last few lbs and wondering how to do this with my exercise routine. I get famished and then overeat on protein! Evn though it is low carb, I still think it might be contributing to my stall.

also, does anyone else reduce fat intake to help shed the last few lbs? It always works for me, but I also remain low carb.

thoughts?

I am 5'4.. around 117- but would like to get back to 112-110 which is when I felt the best and my tummy was not so big!
Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:02 AM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Welcome Peace!

I never had trouble eating too much fat. Actually, the more fat I ate the more I lost. I do however think over eating protein can spike blood sugar levels and cause you to stall out.
I always tell people to focus more on the diet rather than exercise. You can lose WAY more in the kitchen than the gym.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:55 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

DarienFalks, how are things going for you these days? Any progress?
Old 03-13-2014, 12:02 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Yes! I have lost 10lbs, but I'm not doing low carb. I finally released that I cannot stick to it anymore and switched to 2000 calories a day. This plus my work outs have yielded better results for me than low carb. Also, I find it MUCH easier to stick to and I feel that I am eating a more healthy well rounded diet.
Atkins worked great for me the first time, but now too many things are different in my life and I just can not commit to one of the most restrictive diets out there right now.
Good luck to you my friend.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:32 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Yes! I have lost 10lbs, but I'm not doing low carb. I finally released that I cannot stick to it anymore and switched to 2000 calories a day. This plus my work outs have yielded better results for me than low carb. Also, I find it MUCH easier to stick to and I feel that I am eating a more healthy well rounded diet.
Atkins worked great for me the first time, but now too many things are different in my life and I just can not commit to one of the most restrictive diets out there right now.

Well, the important thing is you found something that works for you. Good luck to you also.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:42 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

How's the 2,000 calories a day treating you? Still going well? Still getting your losses/results you wanted?
Old 04-07-2014, 09:37 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: glidergirl
Interesting, guys! Thanks for posting!
I think sometimes our bodies do get acclimated to the diets we are on, and just need something to shake it up a little.
glidergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:17 AM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Not Good! Had some big changes recently in my life (Including new job), so I have more time now to focus on my diet and I don't have gym access anymore. I lost 10lbs on low calories and thats it. I was hungry all the time and found that a lot of low calories food is full of sugar and well, I think it was just stalling me.

I figured(But havent tested) that I have some level of insulin resistance, because I don't think it should be this hard for a 28 year old male to lose weight.

Heres a photo of what I am currently trying to eat for %5 carbs 35% protein 65% fat.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:11 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

DarienFalks, have you tried limiting the amount of cheese and nuts in your diet? You know, maybe not have them every day? For some people nuts and cheese are "stall agents" and when eaten frequently they can cause stalls and even worse gains (cheese does that to me when I have too much of it). I'm sorry if someone has already discussed this with you (even if it was me in a previous post ), but I felt inclined to say this b/c those 2 things automatically popped out to me in your menu... the serving of cheese at more than one meal and the nuts.

Cheers,

NAF
Old 06-13-2014, 04:41 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Just checking in on you DarienFalks. How are things?