Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > The Exercise Board
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2014, 08:52 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BabyB
Stats: 182/142/126
Any motivation for a new runner?

I need to exercise and it needs to be free, I normally walk but have cut down a lot due to poor weather, I'm considering running...but the usual off-putting problem arises; I'm worried about how I'll look when running.

Sure you could say at least I'm doing something to keep fit, or that they'd only see me for a moment before I'm off, but it's still a concern. As I'll be running alone I'll have to stay somewhere quite public and run during the day, also I'm far from fit and suffer unknown problems with my breathing and legs...so what if I get 10 meters then have to stop and everyone sees

Anyone able to give some friendly advice on getting over this fear? How can I motivate myself enough to go out, in the cold, and risk looking like a complete fool when I run?
BabyB is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2014, 08:54 AM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Rebecca130
Stats: 201/ 183/130
WOE: Weight Watchers
Start Date: Jan 23, 2008
Me too. I am a beginner runner. Would be great if your thread would take off and we could all help each other!
Rebecca130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:46 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sarahf
I just started running a month ago. I downloaded the C25K app (couch to 5k...) and it's really been great. I had to pay $1.59 for the app after the second or third week, but it's been worth it for me because it tells you exactly when to run, when to stop, etc. I am definitely large and I started very out of shape, but it's so gradual that it's doable.

I have a treadmill at home and I joined a gym so I usually run there, but I also used to sometimes walk at the local high school in the afternoons, on their track. Is that an option for you? I'd go after school was out, and there was sometimes one or two other people on the track but unless it was spring/track season, in which case I'd go at night, I was mostly alone. Where I live is very hilly, and I really wanted flat ground since I was so out of shape, so that fit the bill. I still consider myself a beginner, and I'm still struggling with enjoying running, although I do love to do it and be able to say i did it. I think that's why I like the C25K program, because instead of just going outt here and running and wondering if you're even doing anything or being successful, it's gradual and you feel like you're accomplishing something.
sarahf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:04 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sarahf
Also, I just wanted to add that I sometimes worry about how i look, especially since c25k is a lot of walking with running thrown in. The other day I was on a treadmill, sweating madly at 5.2, counting down the seconds til the walk cycle, and the girl next to me was spryly going at 7.7 like it was no thing. I think you have to just keep telling yourself that at least you're out there trying to do something about it, and just try to ignore everyone else.
sarahf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:21 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kriss
Stats: 145/142/115
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/3/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyB View Post
I need to exercise and it needs to be free, I normally walk but have cut down a lot due to poor weather, I'm considering running...but the usual off-putting problem arises; I'm worried about how I'll look when running.

Sure you could say at least I'm doing something to keep fit, or that they'd only see me for a moment before I'm off, but it's still a concern. As I'll be running alone I'll have to stay somewhere quite public and run during the day, also I'm far from fit and suffer unknown problems with my breathing and legs...so what if I get 10 meters then have to stop and everyone sees

Anyone able to give some friendly advice on getting over this fear? How can I motivate myself enough to go out, in the cold, and risk looking like a complete fool when I run?
This struck a cord with me. I hate exercising with my husband cause he pushes too hard and i told him the first day we were running (also doing the couch to 5K app) I told him i felt like i look like an idiot. "look at the fat girl trying to run!" and informed him that its one of the reason heavier people stay away from the gym…its embarrassing to be so out of shape. He doesn't understand.
Kriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:34 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: palegirl
Stats: 249/144/145 2006:199/136/140 2013:206/165/145
WOE: Atkins Sizes:20W-22M/8/8
Start Date: thanksgiving 2002 Height: 5'7 Age:35
I started running in September, I run with my friend Meredith. The other day we were doing a jog without pre-planning it and we got to one side of the main drag of a very cool neighborhood. I said to her "should we run down broadway or jog over a block to a parallel side street?" I was thinking, like you, that it would be embarrassing if anyone I knew saw me huffing & puffing by, but Meredith had a much better point of view. She pointed out that it's fun to run into people we know and that if we did, they just caught us exercising while they're not! We're being healthy and fit, that's not embarrassing!

We ran down broadway.
8/13-3/14 206/164.5/145?

I'm losing weight sloooooowly now.
palegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:34 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Madmarsha
Stats: 212/157/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: October 2013
I started with the C25K app, too. So I haven't been doing it long, but am thrilled with the progress I'm already seeing and that's been exciting. I never even thought to be concerned with how I look when running, tho, to be honest, I frequently go in the dark.

Once around my block is 1.5 miles (I went twice around for the first time yesterday) and it's flat terrain and very little traffic and no one is EVER out (I do see other people walking from time to time but never when I've been out). Only problem is dogs. There are a LOT of dogs. I am not scared of dogs but the barking is annoying. And now, all of a sudden, there is an ankle biter (which the owner very helpfully suggested I keep on going and he will stop following. Well, not only did she never come to get him so he kept on following, I had to stop running because I do NOT kick dogs and I was afraid if I kept running and he kept following, I would accidentally kick him. I did yell at and try to scare him, tho, and that works but he keeps following).
Old 01-28-2014, 02:14 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCfan03
WOE: Atkins or just low carb in general
Start Date: June 2003
I just wanted to tell you that your fear is normal...although unfounded. Nobody cares. Nobody is looking at you.

I have this concern all the time because I am a horrible runner. I don't even really run. I just "lumber" Seriously. It's so bad. I did several 5K's this year and when I looked up my photos on the race websites and a few "finish line videos" I was absolutely horrified. I suppose I had a mental picture of what I looked like (and I knew it wasn't good) but I didn't know it was THAT bad.

But you know what?

I had a GREAT TIME and I don't want that to stop me from continuing to jog. Honestly, I just needed to let it go and realize there are thousands of people at these races and nobody gives a darn what "I" look like.

You need to just go out there are focus on your training plan. Download mapmyrun or one of the other good ipod training plans utilizing a c25k approach and just "let it go" You will feel good and you will see yourself improve over time. Focus on THAT. Focus on the fact that every step you take is one more step than sitting on the couch and NOT doing it.