Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > The Exercise Board
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2014, 02:14 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sarahf
Eating low carb, exercising, zero weight loss

Hi everyone. I'm new here, I've been using these forums to help me since I got back on the Atkins wagon back in June, but this is the first time I have a question that hasn't already been answered, or at least i can't find it if it has.

I've done Atkins before but I've been really following it religiously since June of 2013. To date, I've lose just about 90 pounds, with 65 more to go. At the end of December, I joined a gym and have been going 3-4 days a week.

Background:
Second week in December, Aunt Flo came to visit and i gained SIX pounds. The following week, I started working out. My lowest weight, before I gained those six pounds back, was 234. Now i'm sitting between 238 and 240 and i CAN.NOT budge that freakin scale. I figured the first week or so, it was water weight, or swollen muscles, from the new exercise regime. But it is just refusing to budge, and I don't know what I'm doing wrong

My carb level to lose is 25g or less. I've been maintaining that level and I've been continuing to truck on, but this morning I actually went up to 240, gaining a pound since two days ago, and I'm at my wit's end. I don't know what i'm doing wrong. Am i supposed to be exercising and lifting weights on Atkins? I don't really want to stop, because I'm kind of enjoying it. But i'm wondering if Atkins/Low Carb is wise when you're also trying to get in shape and exercise? I have gone back to counting carbs to make sure there aren't any sneaking in.

My normal workout routine is 30 minutes on the treadmill or elliptical. I started couch to 5k and this week was my first day of week 3, it kicked my butt today! But then i'll alternate legs and chest/arms, and throw in abs in there when I'm feeling it. I have been measuring myself and I have lost maybe half an inch on my upper arms, but am measuring the same everywhere else. I am feeling so defeated and unsure about how to proceed. If anyone can help me, I'd really appreciate it!
sarahf is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2014, 11:01 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kriss
Stats: 145/142/115
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/3/14
Hey Sarah…I see you and i asked questions that are both going unanswered (maybe it takes forum member awhile to warm up to people and want to help……i have been a member before but long been absent)

i was sort of asking if a high intensity and doing LC was a good idea….but my thoughts were the same….would i lose. and also does LC provide our bodies with enough to get through strenuous workouts.

Anyway cause i know its a little disappointing to look for some peer support and hear crickets….Im not super knowledgable beyond knowing HOW to low carb but a few things come to mind in regard to what you posted.

Did you do your measurements? Also did you take a "before" photo?
I think sometimes our bodies will show smaller measurements when we workout vs a drop in the scale. However I know how important it feels to see the # go down.

Good luck and I hope people warm up to us quickly and can help us with our questions!

Last edited by Kriss; 01-13-2014 at 11:03 PM..
Kriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 05:13 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

You are the sweetest, thank you so much for replying! You're right, it's just awful waiting for a response, some help, and getting nothing! I have not ignored this all day, I've been cramming a work deadline and I'm about to pass out but just wanted to come and say thanks.

My biggest worry is that a friend of mine said that every trainer she ever worked with said that you can't do low carb and work out. So i started googling it, and there is completely conflicting internet opinion. So I'm just feeling very much like i'm floundering, and doing it all wrong, and hurting myself, etc. So some advice from someone who knows something would go a long way for me!
Old 01-15-2014, 11:13 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahf View Post
You are the sweetest, thank you so much for replying! You're right, it's just awful waiting for a response, some help, and getting nothing! I have not ignored this all day, I've been cramming a work deadline and I'm about to pass out but just wanted to come and say thanks.

My biggest worry is that a friend of mine said that every trainer she ever worked with said that you can't do low carb and work out. So i started googling it, and there is completely conflicting internet opinion. So I'm just feeling very much like i'm floundering, and doing it all wrong, and hurting myself, etc. So some advice from someone who knows something would go a long way for me!
I found conflicting info too and so I though this would be a great place to get info……but so far not so much..Im so bummed. I got so discouraged yesterday i gave up….so far today not been able to remotivate myself.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:30 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

What have you given up on? I read your post about starting Insanity, I think it was? Have you given up the workout or the LC portions?

I'm going to say, I very nearly gave up on LC but I had to remind myself of how much happier I am when I eat this way. I was very much like a recovering alcoholic the other day, willing myself to get through the day an hour at a time without just shoving food into my face in discouragement. This morning I weighed myself and for the first time in weeks, saw downward movement. I will consider that success.

The other thing for me, I *do* think my arms are more toned already, just from a month of working out. And i definitely FEEL stronger, and more energetic. Most of my clothes are already big on me, i'm waiting to go down to the next even size to bother buying anything since this stuff i'm wearing is only a few months old to begin with, so I can't say whether clothes are fitting better.

Anyway, I guess the point of my post is, please hang in there. I know the desperation. I definitely, in the past week, have been asking "what's the POINT?" a lot of the time. But exercise can't be a bad thing, right? Here's my thing...everything I googled had to do with building muscle, and a lot of it seemed to be geared towards people looking to have visible muscles, like bodybuilders. And the stuff I read in support of low carb while working out said that you would see decreased performance, but unless you were a professional athlete, it wouldn't be noticeable.

WHat I've found to be true so far, and i've tried eating different things and eating at different times, is that I definitely think you should probably up your carb intake maybe 5 more grams than what you're currently doing, at least on the days you work out. The other thing I read is to eat a lot of protein, especially after a workout, because your body can use that to build muscle.

Now, as far as athletic performance, I'm still trying to hit that sweet spot so maybe you can tell me if something in particular is working for you? The best run I've had so far was the other day, I'd been to the dentist and hit the gym on the way home. I hadn't eaten, so I stopped at Walmart and got some atkins shakes and bars. I drank one of the shakes and had a coconut-almond bar, and I swear to you it was the most energy I'd had for a workout to date. Afterwards I went home and had a protein-heavy lunch. I have been trying to mess around with the timing of when i eat versus when I work out, but that day was seriously my most successful one yet.

Hang in there! At least we'll have each other to bounce ideas off of if nothing else.

Last edited by sarahf; 01-15-2014 at 01:32 PM..
Old 01-15-2014, 03:12 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

For me I have found that what worked in the past is not quite working the same way. I do know that my water intake sucks….i KNOW that makes a difference.

Your most successful day is something i ould try and repeat again to see if the protein/carb intake and timing worked well and see if you have the same results or at least close.

When i say gave up….i pretty much fell off the LC wagon. I find i am weak when we go out to eat or have friends over. Maybe i need to be a bit of a recluse for a couple weeks till I really get going! lol
Old 01-15-2014, 03:19 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sunny_1
Stats: 180/170.2/150
Start Date: December 22, 2013
Just wanted to say the only reason I haven't replied is that I have no clue as to how to help or how to answer. I bet it's the same with others. I feel it's better not to reply than to give bad or inadequate guesses.

I am dealing with inability to sleep, which means I get up and graze at night. Am regaining some of the weight I worked so hard to lose. And I am really upset about that!
Sunny_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:17 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny_1 View Post
Just wanted to say the only reason I haven't replied is that I have no clue as to how to help or how to answer. I bet it's the same with others. I feel it's better not to reply than to give bad or inadequate guesses.

I am dealing with inability to sleep, which means I get up and graze at night. Am regaining some of the weight I worked so hard to lose. And I am really upset about that!
Oh I have no doubt that is part of it too.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:48 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: palegirl
Stats: 249/144/145 2006:199/136/140 2013:206/165/145
WOE: Atkins Sizes:20W-22M/8/8
Start Date: thanksgiving 2002 Height: 5'7 Age:35
Hi Sarah, I eat low carb and I exercise. My experience is that exercise makes me healthy, but does not make me lose weight. Eating low carb alone causes weight loss for me. For me the exercise is essential though because when I don't exercise regularly I experience anxiety and depression, especially before my period.

I think you hit on something important when you mentioned your weight gain around your period in December. My experience is that I lose very very slowly or plateau all month long and then lose several pounds in the days after my period starts. This is my current weight loss graph, http://tinyurl.com/m3u7b3w you can see that for the month of January I basically bounced around 175 and then that little whoosh at the end is because I got my period last Sunday.

Pay attention to where your period falls in relation to your weight loss. For us women it can be a pretty significant factor.

And just to be totally clear: I find that exercise is very important to my general well-being. You said you enjoy it. Even if it is stalling your weight loss (which I doubt it is) I wouldn't give it up.
8/13-3/14 206/164.5/145?

I'm losing weight sloooooowly now.
palegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:55 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: palegirl
Stats: 249/144/145 2006:199/136/140 2013:206/165/145
WOE: Atkins Sizes:20W-22M/8/8
Start Date: thanksgiving 2002 Height: 5'7 Age:35
Oh, and you might be interested in this book: The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance
by Jeff S. Volek and Stephen D. Phinney

according to this book you don't need to increase carbs on days that you exercise, that once you keto-adapt, (which you clearly have, you've lost 90 lbs) fat is a better fuel for your workouts than carbs. A lot of ultra-marathon runners are experimenting with using keto-adaptation to help fuel their runs now, it's trendy in that world now. They say that you exhaust your glycogen stores and "hit the wall" when you're in a carb metabolism, and that when using keto-metabolism this doesn't happen.
palegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:03 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Full of Fiber
Stats: 265/242/200
WOE: low carb
Start Date: December 2012
I don't have an answer to your question, but I'm wondering whether you have been losing inches.

Adding muscle doesn't mean you lose weight, but you look and feel better because muscle is denser than fat.

I hope you are at least feeling strong and healthier doing your workouts.

Good luck.
Full of Fiber is offline   Reply With Quote