LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2013, 06:10 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: susanw53
Stats: 238.9/195.2/155
WOE: Just sensible control
Start Date: Callanetics, 7/98, restart 5/2013
Callanetics Challenge January 2014

Let's get a jump start on the New Year with a commitment to Callanetics in January. Set a goal and do your best to achieve it with the caring support of this motivational thread. No pressure, just encouragement and excitement over the inevitable results.

Give yourself the gifts of strength, balance, and incredible control over your body as you restore, align and sculpt yourself with no impact pulsing and stretching. Who doesn't love those long, lovely Callanetics legs and that wonderfully tall, svelte sensation that follows a Callanetics session? Two to three sessions a week for about an hour each for a return of a beautiful sculpted body. What's not to love?

Let's make 2014 a Callanetics year for the record books.

Happy pulsing all.

Susan
susanw53 is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2013, 11:56 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

I'm in for 13 sessions. Working towards the next size down in jeans. I have two pairs waiting in the wings that I packed away almost 10 years ago. Life is sweet.

I'm looking forward to watching all of you stay excited as well. Happy pulsing all
Old 12-31-2013, 02:28 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CathinVan
Stats: 145/143/138
Start Date: August 2013
I am going to try for 15 sessions this month.
CathinVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:57 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wildflower
Stats: SW180/CW180/GL145
WOE: NK
Start Date: Dec 2013
Did callanetics early this year along with water aerobics, then fell off the wagon with my weight and exercise. My dh had a small stroke in March and the stress just did me in. Now, I must take care of me as I need to take care of him.

I'll try for twice a week - 10 sessions.
wildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:43 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflower View Post
Did callanetics early this year along with water aerobics, then fell off the wagon with my weight and exercise. My dh had a small stroke in March and the stress just did me in. Now, I must take care of me as I need to take care of him.

I'll try for twice a week - 10 sessions.
wildflower. When I returned to Callanetics in May it was primarily because my husband had started dialysis and I was the one responsible for all the hauling around of the home supplies. It was obvious that I needed to stay physically stronger to keep him alive with the best quality of life we could muster. Thankfully I was just out of shape and overweight, things I could take back control of. I can identify with your situation. By the time I let myself recognize that I was getting into dangerous territory I was almost 100 pounds overweight. With Callanetics I have begun the rejuvenation process and already I feel capable of meeting any future emotional and health challenges head on. I am confident you will benefit in the same way.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:45 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jigglebuster
Stats: 168..153(2013)/155/Healthy 5'7.5" wrist: 6.25"
WOE: Organic and nothing packaged and 70% raw.
Start Date: Callanetics : Aug 18 '09 then again: Mar 15 '13
I'm in for.... 12 sessions this month.

I've found that I noticed a huge difference in my thighs once I upped the amount to more than the maintenance of 2/week. I think the alternation in my program has also made a positive affect as well, so I will continue with both.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!
Jigglebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:27 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: callangirl
Stats: 255/144/135
Start Date: July 3, 2012
I'm in! I'll be posting my game plan later on tonight.
callangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:08 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Susan, thanks for the new thread!

Happy New Year wishes to all.

Daily Callanetics for me this year!
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:53 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigglebuster View Post
I'm in for.... 12 sessions this month.

I've found that I noticed a huge difference in my thighs once I upped the amount to more than the maintenance of 2/week. I think the alternation in my program has also made a positive affect as well, so I will continue with both.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!
Good work Jigglebuster. I noticed while out wearing my jeans again that my thighs don't rub together at all when I walk. Not bad for a 60 yr old woman weighing in at 207. That's the beauty of Callanetics.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:07 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

1/13 January 2014

We're off and running! HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

I just finished my first session of the new year and it was excellent. I was concerned that all my 'celebrating' last night might make it difficult but I was pleasantly surprised at how smoothly it went. All that pulsing and stretching seems to have wrung the excess alcohol out of my system. I guess I struck a balance point in the festivities.

This past month I pushed myself to amp up the reps in abs. I had been breaking them up into sets of 25 and I'm now consistently at sets of 50 regardless of which of the many options I choose. I attribute my ability to fit into my jeans again to that concerted effort. I plan to keep up the challenge until I can finally get in a straight set of 100. I can't hide behind my age any longer because I feel and look much younger.

I'm looking forward to sharing my year of changes with you all. Happy pulsing.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:19 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanw53 View Post
wildflower. When I returned to Callanetics in May it was primarily because my husband had started dialysis and I was the one responsible for all the hauling around of the home supplies. It was obvious that I needed to stay physically stronger to keep him alive with the best quality of life we could muster. Thankfully I was just out of shape and overweight, things I could take back control of. I can identify with your situation. By the time I let myself recognize that I was getting into dangerous territory I was almost 100 pounds overweight. With Callanetics I have begun the rejuvenation process and already I feel capable of meeting any future emotional and health challenges head on. I am confident you will benefit in the same way.
Thanks -- your words have real meaning in my life. Thank you so much. I did the AM this morning, then walked my dogs (nearly a mile up and down hills) and feeling so good!
Old 01-01-2014, 02:24 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Susan179
Stats: Weight 155
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Nov. 1, 2013
Happy New Year!

I am in it for 10 this month.
Susan179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:10 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mayleesa
Stats: (5'5") 209/176.4/140lb
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 12/26/2013
sorry if this is addressed somewhere else, but I would like to start this process of C and could you provide a good stepping stone for me! thanks!!!
mayleesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:30 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thanks -- your words have real meaning in my life. Thank you so much. I did the AM this morning, then walked my dogs (nearly a mile up and down hills) and feeling so good!
Good work Wildflower. I had a neighbor who kept herself in shape by walking her dogs every day up and over our many hills. That's a great choice.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:50 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayleesa View Post
sorry if this is addressed somewhere else, but I would like to start this process of C and could you provide a good stepping stone for me! thanks!!!
The best thing I can offer is that you start with the basic '10 Years in 10 hours' DVD. This is the basis for all things Callanetics. Beyond that I would recommend Callanetics Evolution DVD which introduces you to a new approach by the instructor that has revolutionized Callanetics and includes the important aspects of the counter extensions and the art of working relaxed and effortless. There have been recent developments that are dramatic and indispensable that we can fill you in on here but a basic understanding of the original program is invaluable. Once you've started we can bring you up to speed. to the joy that is Callanetics.

There are three years of archives to mine through and there have been some videos loaded onto YouTube in December that demonstrate many of the movements with recent modifications that include absolute relaxation as you work.

Be gentle with yourself as you begin Callanetics. You will be working your muscles much deeper than you expect so you need to develop the attitude that encourages laughing at your physical limitations. You will quickly grow stronger as you work consistently. Ask any questions that may arise. Someone on this caring forum will have an answer for you. Enjoy the journey.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:48 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

So glad you’ve joined us, Arlene and Mayleesa!

I’m starting with a clean slate; in reference to my past sessions, they’re not going to count. I plan on beginning with 10/10, with the hope of working my way to the advance version of Callanetics towards the end of the year.

I’m committing to 10 sessions this month; coupled with lifting light weights for my upper body (especially arms) and engaging in cardio for my heart. I may do some rebounding for cleaning out my lymph system.

Okay, that’s all I got.

Happy Pulsing Into The New Year!

Last edited by callangirl; 01-02-2014 at 03:51 AM..
Old 01-02-2014, 07:08 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by callangirl View Post
So glad you’ve joined us, Arlene and Mayleesa!

I’m starting with a clean slate; in reference to my past sessions, they’re not going to count. I plan on beginning with 10/10, with the hope of working my way to the advance version of Callanetics towards the end of the year.

I’m committing to 10 sessions this month; coupled with lifting light weights for my upper body (especially arms) and engaging in cardio for my heart. I may do some rebounding for cleaning out my lymph system.

Okay, that’s all I got.

Happy Pulsing Into The New Year!
Hi Callangirl. Reading your post I couldn't help but think that Callanetics is well-rounded enough to handle all those other concerns. Push ups can be added for upper body development and there are some new videos on YouTube that demonstrate some wicked upper arm work developed recently. I defy anyone who has done a run of Callanetics abs or worked through pelvic rotations and scoops to say that Callanetics is not cardio work. I know for a fact that they have strengthened my heart. As for the lymph, one of the greatest benefits to the recent development in Callanetics to include the counter extensions and working deeper is the wonderful effect this has on enhanced lymph drainage. My mini tramp sits unused in the kitchen because I would rather do a run of Callanetics. Maybe someday it will get used again, but bouncing just didn't do it for me. Too hard to control the boobs when bouncing.

This is not to suggest that you not pursue other forms of fitness. Callanetics makes everything else easier to do anyway doesn't it?

It's good to have you back on the thread. It's going to be a great Callanetics year.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:54 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

I personally regret giving my mini-tramp away when I moved across the country. I LOVED dancing on that thing, and I have to say, from my experience with parkour, my opinion is, jumping does something for our bodies nothing else does. But it's true, Callanetics definitely does help with the lymphatic system.

And, I don't think counterpulls are "new"; I think the expression of them began in Evo, but if you listen to 10/10, you will hear Callan urging us to focus on either end of what would be "counter-pulls" in the movements. Think about the back stretch in the pelvic scoop. Perhaps she just didn't have the key phrase of "counter-pull" to express what she was trying to teach?

------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, this year began with a very gentle almost beginners' version of 10/10. I did nothing that could cause any form of strain, everything was lower level and lower intensity, and I feel wonderful and relaxed!

It's good to go back to the basics once in a while to remind us of technique and allow total focus on what our bodies need and are telling us, and re-evaluate our weaknesses. I've decided I need to continue with Margaret's alternative side stretch along with the regular one, because it stretches a very key point in my body that tends to get ultra tight.

Newbies!!! It's good to see you here! And, yes, 10/10 is the best starting point I can suggest.
Thighs: L:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
........R:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
Above Knee: 21.5(2009)...16.25"(Mar2013)/15.25"/15.5
(M)Calves L: 17.5(J2010)...15"(Mar2013)/14.5"/ 14.0
.........R: 17(J2010)...14.6"(Mar2013)/14.25"/14.0
Starting all over with 185 hours (1/? this month) of Callanetics, and playing outside!
Old 01-02-2014, 12:15 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mayleesa
Stats: (5'5") 209/176.4/140lb
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 12/26/2013
Thank you soooo much for the great info!!! I purchased 10/10 and didn't see Evo but got the one where it's 3 for 25 min each. Once I get these I will let you know, it shouldnt be long!!! I can't wait to join....I've read just about all 3 years of the goodness and kindness here and am so excited to try!! Thanks again and I can't wait to be in it to win it!!
mayleesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:40 PM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: PurpleJade
Hi Everyone!

I completed 1 hour so far and am aiming for 20 hrs this month. I'm wishing us all success as we travel and make body transformations on this year's Callanetics journey.
PurpleJade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:34 AM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Susan179
Stats: Weight 155
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Nov. 1, 2013
Ok, I have a strange question/observation. I am doing 10/10 two times a week and started going to the gym twice a week. Mostly I need some upper body strength, I am too top heavy. I noticed doing gym crunches for my stomach I gained an inch in that area! When on only Callan stomach I lost a half an inch, but two weeks in the gym and I gained it back and more. Has anyone who works out at gym noticed the same or is my body just weird?
Susan179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:11 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Got in 1 hour this morning along with shoveling snow this afternoon. Think I'm done for the day. I did the 10 in 10 with lots of breaks. -- obviously, this old body needs extra time to get back into it -- but gotta start somewhere!
Old 01-03-2014, 01:59 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan179 View Post
Ok, I have a strange question/observation. I am doing 10/10 two times a week and started going to the gym twice a week. Mostly I need some upper body strength, I am too top heavy. I noticed doing gym crunches for my stomach I gained an inch in that area! When on only Callan stomach I lost a half an inch, but two weeks in the gym and I gained it back and more. Has anyone who works out at gym noticed the same or is my body just weird?
Susan179, that's not strange at all. Most of the exercises and movements in Callanetics work mostly the supportive muscles in a non-forceful way and then the larger muscles get worked indirectly. When we do weightlifting or crunches, the focus is on working the larger muscles more forcefully, and so indirectly, the smaller supportive ones. In doing this, what happens is we develop miniscule tears and create lactic acid build-up (that's what make us sore), and as a result, minor inflammation. Callanetics doesn't seem to do this, if it does, certainly not to the same extent. So the level of inflammation is what is creating the measurement difference.

It's the reparation of the miniscule tears in the muscles that cause muscles growth, and so depending on your program, could eventually be cause for size growth as well.

Hope this helps!
Old 01-03-2014, 06:47 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Got in 1 hour this morning along with shoveling snow this afternoon. Think I'm done for the day. I did the 10 in 10 with lots of breaks. -- obviously, this old body needs extra time to get back into it -- but gotta start somewhere!
Take all the breaks you need Arlene. When I started back in May it took me almost 2 hours to get through all the pulses. I would rather take a breather to let my heart rate drop back down and then finish the required reps than keep up with the DVD or video and only do what I can without pauses. In her book Callan commented on how she never worried when one of her older students would stop and stare in the mirror for ten minutes before continuing. She felt they had a strong awareness of their body's current limitations and were more willing to be gentle with themselves. Then they would finish in their own time. I know that held true for me. I still have to take breathers during abs and some of the more intense leg work I've been exposed to lately. Thank goodness for the pause button.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:49 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigglebuster View Post
Susan179, that's not strange at all. Most of the exercises and movements in Callanetics work mostly the supportive muscles in a non-forceful way and then the larger muscles get worked indirectly. When we do weightlifting or crunches, the focus is on working the larger muscles more forcefully, and so indirectly, the smaller supportive ones. In doing this, what happens is we develop miniscule tears and create lactic acid build-up (that's what make us sore), and as a result, minor inflammation. Callanetics doesn't seem to do this, if it does, certainly not to the same extent. So the level of inflammation is what is creating the measurement difference.

It's the reparation of the miniscule tears in the muscles that cause muscles growth, and so depending on your program, could eventually be cause for size growth as well.

Hope this helps!
Excellent Jigglebuster.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:45 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan179 View Post
Susan, I've been thinking about your desire for upper body strength and ways to improve without bulk. Might I suggest a combination of hanging and push ups? I've grown quite fond of the hanging over the past month and have noticed that my wrists have become much stronger which has made push ups easier to do. Once you've mastered hanging you could begin working on pull ups. Done in conjunction with Callanetics the bulk building is more controlled in my opinion. I try to work up to 20 push-ups in full plank position.

I think of the work done by Callanetics in connection to the work of Tom Myers and his insights into the Anatomy Trains. We are training the skeletal muscles to hug the bones and bring everything from the inside out along. It's one big connected system, quite unlike what we normally envision. In his words :

"Fascia is the Cinderella of body tissues—systematically ignored, dissected out and thrown away in bits (Schleip 2003). However, fascia forms the biological container and connector for every organ (including muscles). In dissection, fascia is literally a greasy mess (not at all like what the books show you) and so variable among individuals that its actual architecture is hard to delineate. For many reasons, fascia has not been seen as a whole system; therefore we have been ignorant of fascia’s overall role in biomechanics.

Thankfully, the integrating mechano-biological nature of the fascial web is becoming clearer. It turns out that it really is all one net with no separation from top to toe, from skin to core or from birth to death (Shultz & Feitis 1996). Every cell in your body is hooked into—and responds to—the tensional environment of the fascia (Ingber 1998). Alter your mechanics, and cells can change their function (Horwitz 1997). This is a radical new way of seeing personal training—stretching, strengthening and shape-shifting—as part of “spatial medicine” (Myers 1998).

Given the facts, many would prefer the term neuromyofascial web to the fascia-dissing musculoskeletal system (Schleip 2003). As accustomed as we are to identifying individual structures within the fascial web—plantar fascia, Achilles tendon, iliotibial band, thoracolumbar aponeurosis, nuchal ligament and so on—these are just convenient labels for areas within the singular fascial web. They might qualify as ZIP codes, but they are not separate structures (see the sidebar “Muscle Isolation vs. Fascial Integration”).

You can talk about the Atlantic, the Pacific and the Mediterranean oceans, but there is really only one interconnected ocean in the world. Fascia is the same. We talk about individual nerves, but we know the nervous system reacts as a whole. How does fascia webbing function as a system?

Magically extracted as a whole, the fascial web would show us all the shapes of the body, inside and out. It would be just one big net with muscles squirming in it like swimming fish. Organs would hang in it like jellyfish. Every system, every organ and even every cell lives embedded within the sea of a unitary fascial net.

This concept is important because we are so strongly inclined to name individual structures and think that way clinically: “Oh, you tore your biceps,” forgetting that “biceps” is our conception. Our common scientific nomenclature gives a false impression, while the New Age shibboleth is more literally true: the body—and the fascial net in particular—is a single connected unity in which the muscles and bones float."
- Tom Myers, Fascial Fitness: Training In The Neuromyofascial Web

I particularly like his belief that "the intention of fascial fitness is to use specific training techniques... to create a silk-like bodysuit in 6 to 24 months which is not only strong but also allows for a smooth gliding joint mobility over wide angular ranges." Love the way that man talks. When I practice Callanetics I always keep in mind that I'm actively building my bodysuit.

I got a little carried away here but the topic excites me.

Happy pulsing.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:09 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

2/13 January 2014

Second session of the month completed and I feel great! I pushed myself to get through the abs within a set timeframe allowing for three brief breathers and I surprised myself and did it with control and on time. I was determined to up the intensity in the interest of persuing fascial fittness, at least with the abs. Callanetics abs are so incredibly challenging! My favorite movement these days is the Evolution Waving Abs, doing them with one wave up and down then rotating to each side for ten reps then repeating the sequence. It's getting easier to stay stretched through the crown and I can feel the abs working so smoothly. The more I can relax the abs down to the spine the smoother the control. Every session gets more fluid and requires less effort.

Second favorite abs would have to be anything the includes a rotation. The obliques love the work and I can feel it all the way up into my cheeks and there's something particularly sweet about getting the rotation in while still staying curled, and then managing to get all the way through the count without stopping. Ahhh, Callanetics.

I went grocery shopping afterwards and while waiting for the bus I was playing around with the beginning stance, feeling for the changes within my body as I lengthened the lower back and gently curled the pelvis just enough to hook the pubic bones up a bit and had a totally new sensation of the lower abs engaging. Then I relaxed and simply pulled my abs back to my spine. For a few moments I switched back and forth just getting familiar with this new sensation. What surprised me was how many more muscle fibers were engaged with the approach lengthening the lower back and that very precise little curl. The difference between engaging the muscles and actively contracting muscles is more dramatic than I'd anticipated. It turns out engaging is more effective. This is fun.

Happy pulsing all.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:06 PM   #28
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: PurpleJade
Question: Do you think it is alright to do 2 hours of Callanetics per day, like Evo in the morning and 10/10 at night or is that an overkill? Thanks
PurpleJade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:39 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleJade View Post
Question: Do you think it is alright to do 2 hours of Callanetics per day, like Evo in the morning and 10/10 at night or is that an overkill? Thanks
Not recommended. If you are getting into proper position and focusing on relaxing completely you are working deeply and much more intensely than it may feel. Callanetics doesn't leave you sore or winded, which can be deceptive to someone who has been trained in "working hard for results". Your body is working more than you realize and needs the time to rejuvenate and rest before the next session. The pulling in effect of Callanetics continues for up to 48 hours after a session. Seriously. Up to 48 hours. If you are doing them daily you need to remember to take a day or two off a week. The down time is just as important with Callanetics as the pulsing. You won't accelerate results appreciably by doubling up in a day, but you might injure yourself and then be forced to take down time.

If you have the desire to do two sessions a day an alternative might be to do AM/PM s-u-p-e-r s-l-o-w. Love that enthusiasm though. Feeling the addictive quality are we?
Old 01-05-2014, 10:36 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanw53 View Post
Hi Callangirl. Reading your post I couldn't help but think that Callanetics is well-rounded enough to handle all those other concerns. Push ups can be added for upper body development and there are some new videos on YouTube that demonstrate some wicked upper arm work developed recently. I defy anyone who has done a run of Callanetics abs or worked through pelvic rotations and scoops to say that Callanetics is not cardio work. I know for a fact that they have strengthened my heart. As for the lymph, one of the greatest benefits to the recent development in Callanetics to include the counter extensions and working deeper is the wonderful effect this has on enhanced lymph drainage. My mini tramp sits unused in the kitchen because I would rather do a run of Callanetics. Maybe someday it will get used again, but bouncing just didn't do it for me. Too hard to control the boobs when bouncing.

This is not to suggest that you not pursue other forms of fitness. Callanetics makes everything else easier to do anyway doesn't it?

It's good to have you back on the thread. It's going to be a great Callanetics year.
Hi Susanw53, I know what you mean - Callanetics is powerful; however, my body needs additional assistance. To keep my underarms from becoming similar to bat wings, I feel as though the time that I spend doing Joyce Vedral’s weight-lifting program is valid.

In reference to rebounding, it helps to increase the G-force so your cells get a thorough cleansing and the immune system is enhanced. Callanetics provide muscular contraction and internal massage, but I’m not definite about the gravitational pull. Rebounding is shown to accomplish all three. I’m just trying to be on the safe side, since my mom and sister had issues with the swelling of their lymph nodes, unaware that they had cancer.

So far as the cardio, I like mixing it up on alternate days that I’m not doing Callanetics. Actually, the rebounder takes care of that area, too.

So far as the boobies, some people have sworn that through rebounding they have firmed them up, as well as other sagging areas of their body. I wear a sports bra before I start.

Overall, Callanetics compose the foundation of my exercise program; I would never abandon it!

By the way, I’ve done 1/10 so far this month.

PurpleJade…

Happy & Healthy Pulsing, Everyone!