Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > The Exercise Board
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2014, 07:26 PM   #91
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marlenelet
Thank you Susan for your insights. After watching the Evo, I do believe that the PF was really emphasized in the DVD. Well lucky me, I haven't been very disciplined and only engaged the PF whenever I remembered. LOL!

What's a cat stretch? Something like what they do in yoga poses? It'll be nice if you could provide a description to share with us.

I do have some questions from the Evo :

(1) In the Hips & Behind exercises, I notice that they do it resting on the forearm. Is there a benefit to pulsing with the position of resting on forearm vs sitting? In 10/10, Callan mentioned that the stronger the muscles become, the straighter we will sit during the exercise. Also, there's no mention of whether we should roll the hip forward for both these exercises. So I just wonder, what should be the correct position on both these exercises in Evo?

(2) There's 2 other behind exercises where we're supposed to create a soft arch in our back, rest on the forearm and pulse with (a) raised bent leg and (b) raised straightened leg.

I'm also confused as to which muscles I'm supposed to feel it working?

(a) In this first exercise with the bent leg, I notice that they raise the knee higher and let the ankle drop. I feel the contraction at the base of my behind if I get into this position.

(b) Pulsing with the L-shaped bent body and straightened leg, I think it's mostly on the outer thigh and behind.

I love the arm waving ab exercise on Evo! I can't complete even the 2nd set yet though.
marlenelet is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2014, 04:55 AM   #92
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susanw53
Stats: 238.9/195.2/155
WOE: Just sensible control
Start Date: Callanetics, 7/98, restart 5/2013
9/13 January

1/19/14
I always begin with 20 minutes of Daily Stretches and it was immediately obvious that my body was working at a new level of focus and strength. By the time I started into my Callanetics session I was beginning to be excited about how much extension I was achieving through the spine. I'm really beginning to truly understand the connection between internal lengthening and the ability to relax deeper to stimulate deeper, more controlled pulsing.

Recently it was suggested that I think of the ribs as the free-swinging gondola attached to a hot air balloon that rested under the neck and shoulders. That way as my head rose up on my extended spine like a balloon the ribs stayed floating over the pelvis. This visual was quite inspirational during today's session. I could feel muscles I had never noticed before every time I moved. Hips and Behind was as at once easier and more challenging.

After a brief break between two sets of waving abs I managed to get all the way through the entire remaining abs work with no breaks at all. Again I was reminded of how amazing it is that the deeper my level of relaxation and the more internal 'length' I can create the less effort I need to expend to maintain a greater level of control. Today it was surprisingly easy to create more length. It was also noticeably easier to take a breath and release tension on the exhale. Those improvements were instrumental in being able to get straight through abs.

There was a particularly special moment during Hips and Behind where I was propped up on my left forearm, left leg extended under a slightly rolled hip, right arm extended overhead and rotated palm up. As I took a deep breath and relaxed along the counter extensions through the crown and the heel to lift the leg I felt the most amazing lengthening of my spine as I gently turned my head to look at the floor while I continued pulsing up and down to work the inner thighs. It was so beautiful it almost took my breath away. That moment kept me very motivated to continue on.

Lately I'm glad to finally get down to the floor for Finishing Stretches but at the same time I am sorry to see the time end.

I'm pleased to see so much love growing for these wonderful pulses. Your body thanks you.

Happy pulsing all.
susanw53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:55 AM   #93
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jigglebuster
Stats: 168..153(2013)/155/Healthy 5'7.5" wrist: 6.25"
WOE: Seasonal - Organic and nothing packaged
Start Date: Callanetics : Aug 18 '09 then again: Mar 15 '13
Hey!

My fever finally broke and I was able to do some Callanetics this morning! I'm still a little weak though, so, in listening to my body, could only do half the reps and all in gentle beginner form.

It feels good to be back at it!
Jigglebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:53 AM   #94
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigglebuster View Post
Hey!

My fever finally broke and I was able to do some Callanetics this morning! I'm still a little weak though, so, in listening to my body, could only do half the reps and all in gentle beginner form.

It feels good to be back at it!
Whew! We are so good to hear that Jugglebuster. Slow and steady will have you up to speed in no time. Get more rest.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:26 AM   #95
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tapper47
Hi all, I'd like to join this Callanetics thread. Found my old DVD (yay) and started working out this morning. Yikes am I out of shape.
tapper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:47 AM   #96
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlenelet View Post
Thank you Susan for your insights. After watching the Evo, I do believe that the PF was really emphasized in the DVD. Well lucky me, I haven't been very disciplined and only engaged the PF whenever I remembered. LOL!

What's a cat stretch? Something like what they do in yoga poses? It'll be nice if you could provide a description to share with us.

I do have some questions from the Evo :

(1) In the Hips & Behind exercises, I notice that they do it resting on the forearm. Is there a benefit to pulsing with the position of resting on forearm vs sitting? In 10/10, Callan mentioned that the stronger the muscles become, the straighter we will sit during the exercise. Also, there's no mention of whether we should roll the hip forward for both these exercises. So I just wonder, what should be the correct position on both these exercises in Evo?

(2) There's 2 other behind exercises where we're supposed to create a soft arch in our back, rest on the forearm and pulse with (a) raised bent leg and (b) raised straightened leg.

I'm also confused as to which muscles I'm supposed to feel it working?

(a) In this first exercise with the bent leg, I notice that they raise the knee higher and let the ankle drop. I feel the contraction at the base of my behind if I get into this position.

(b) Pulsing with the L-shaped bent body and straightened leg, I think it's mostly on the outer thigh and behind.

I love the arm waving ab exercise on Evo! I can't complete even the 2nd set yet though.
Cat Stretch

To lengthen the pelvic floor. I use it as a closing movement to Callanetics.

Begin on your hands and knees, hands under the shoulders, middle fingers pointing straight ahead. Roll the elbows so the pits are to the front. Knees are right under pelvis, feet lined up placed just slightly to the outside of the knees. Tuck you toes under. Keep your tailbone untucked. Now slowly ease back towards the heels WITHOUT tucking the pelvis under at all. If your pelvis begins to tuck move forwards again, untuck and move back again until you hit the point where you begin to tuck. As your calves become more relaxed you'll be able to get further back. Relax and hold the stretch for 10-25 seconds and release.

I'm not sure why they went to the lateral position for the Hips and Behind in Evo. I assume it was to activate different muscle fibers but it may have had as much to do with the desire to have a routine that could be done entirely on the floor without equipment. Both approaches depend on a strong core and I like to make sure I do both kinds in a week. It's a question I have never asked her and I believe I will pose that to her today and let you know. She's on Australian time, which is 15 hours ahead of me.

While doing the exercises leaning on the forearm, knees bent or leg straight the hips are stacked over each other the entire time. As you grow stronger you will be able to maintain a nice stable core while in this position and there will be no slouch at all. I always include at least one movement with this lateral lean position in whatever routine I'm doing because I believe this load on the shoulder joint is very important, especially as I grow older.

It's important to execute this position very thoughtfully. It's the lengthening through the crown and through the heel that will lift the foot or leg. At the same time you are extending from the scapula right through the middle finger of the arm raised over your head and carefully rotated, palm to the ceiling. The extension you get through that arm will assist your major extension through the central core and it will keep you from slouching as the foot or leg lifts from the floor. Allowing your head to turn so you are looking at the floor will add extension through the spine. The core muscles are attached directly to the skeleton and it's these muscles you're calling on. Right through the middle of you, lengthen.

Now you've isolated the muscles and you are ready to extend until the extremity lifts ever so lightly from the floor. Your hips are relaxed. Your waist had nothing to do with lifting anything. The leg lifts itself because you created all that relaxed length. It really is that simple (and yes, that complex)! If you have difficulty in lifting without using the hips or waist think about lengthening down the back of the leg as you extend out of the crown. I have to laugh as I write that because I always see my favorite instructor demonstrate that so it's her voice I hear as I write. She always touches the top of her head with her left index finger and sweeps it gracefully towards the ceiling as she points with her right index finger to the opposite leg and traces the direction of intention with this delicate swirl of her hand. . But I digress. Once you are off the floor ( it will only be an inch or two) begin pulsing. All the work is deep in the hips and behind. The outer muscles of the hips, waist, back, arms, shoulders, head are all relaxed. No effort, just focus. Keep thinking "Longer...Longer...Longer." Keep extending the knee or the leg further out of the hip joint as you pulse and R-E-L-A-X.

As you can tell I'm a bit obsessed with the Hips and Behind movements these days. I learned them from the book and overworked big muscles for over two decades before discovering these new advancements.

The second set of exercises are a new experience for me as well. I got down on the floor and went through them to connect better. KNEES BENT: Leaning on the forearm, elbow below the shoulder joint, the hips are stacked, knees bent, feet slightly to the front, a soft arch in the lower back (keep it neutral), top arm extended and rotated, head turned to the floor creating a nice spinal extension. Very gently and deliberately pull the sit bones together to activate the pelvic floor. (This is one place it is still recommended) Now lengthen until the knee lifts on it's own. Keep the waist and the larger muscles of the hips out of it. Lengthen and lift. Relax and lengthen and lift. The foot hangs freely. Lift the lower foot just off the floor. This will keep the hips stacked and add to your stability. It will also make you feel the work being done by your hips and legs. Try it once using the waist and hips then try again like I'm describing and you will notice the difference. There's a noticeable change in the way your body responds as well.

With the leg straight to the front keep the other leg and foot resting on the floor. The big trick here is to maintain stability through the core, stretched right through the crown, ribs completely relaxed and down. Keep thinking about creating more length up, more extension out of the hip joint and through the heel. Keep relaxing. Let the deep muscles do all the work. Relax and grow longer.

You are correct about where you should be feeling it. The bent leg ones work the back of the leg into the behind, the straight legs work the outer legs and into the behind, although those last ones, in the L position, they work everything. There's a reason these intense movements are followed by a wonderful counter stretch in the Evolution routine.

Ahh! The Waving Abs. I'm a big fan myself. Try them keeping the arms on a level plane when you rotate side to side. This is the way they now teach them. It does a better job of working the obliques. Keep the eyes focused on the fingertips as you rotate the upper body as a single unit. Only as far as you can get without strain. It will quickly improve. I'm particularly fond of doing them as 10 sets of a front wave followed by a rotation to each side. When I do them like that I also start and finish the sequence with 10 waves to the front. You can see why I break halfway through can't you?

It's a pleasure to be part of your Callanetics journey. If I can be of any further assistance you have only to ask.

Happy pulsing.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:32 AM   #97
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapper47 View Post
Hi all, I'd like to join this Callanetics thread. Found my old DVD (yay) and started working out this morning. Yikes am I out of shape.
tapper47. We're always glad to make a new friend. We all felt like that when we first started or started back into Callanetics. Be gentle with yourself and allow yourself the time it takes to learn to relax completely as you pulse. There's lots of information in the archives and I highly recommend you go looking on YouTube. Who would have ever thought we'd live in a world where people all over the world could film themselves doing exercises (or anything else) and share that with the world? I'm still learning the benefits of the YouTube community. Anyway, there are some great video shorts that got posted around Christmas last year that demonstrate many of the movements with recent updating. Most of those changes get discussed here from time to time but it's so beneficial to see them executed properly.

Enjoy the journey. Let the fun begin!

Happy pulsing.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:46 PM   #98
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Iowa-Girl
I just joined this group, as I have just heard of Callanetics. I have been on the Ideal Protein Diet since Aug 5th, 2013, along with hubby. I am 2 pounds short of my goal of losing 60 pounds. Hubby has lost about 80 pounds.

During the Ideal Protein Diet, we are not to be doing any strenuous exercises, so we both have been out of shape, but of course, I can't blame the diet on being out of shape. We were out of shape before we started the diet, so we are still out of shape.

We are getting ready to enter Phase 2 of the Ideal Protein Diet and have loose skin that needs tightening. I've read on another forum that some people were really having success with Callanetics.

I've just googled the term, so really don't know what it's about. I'm getting ready to buy one or two (or three) DVD's to get us started.

Once we are on the Maintenance portion of our diet, we will start more rigorous exercises, but right now, Callanetics sounds like the idea start to becoming in better shape.

What would you recommend that I read or watch, in order to learn how to do this correctly and how to start, etc?
Iowa-Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:10 PM   #99
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Susan179
Stats: Weight 155
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Nov. 1, 2013
Jigglebuster, Glad to see you back!
Iowa girl, what is the ideal protein diet?
Susan179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:05 PM   #100
Senior LCF Member

Wow susan, that was a great detailed post! I must admist, I can't fully visualize everything you've described, so I'm going to print that post and read it over and over like a textbook till some of it sticks to my head.

My legs are sore after doing Evo; glad to know I'm working new muscles in the legs and behind.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:13 PM   #101
Major LCF Poster!

Iowa Girl. Kudos on your successful weight loss. I believe you'll be pleased with the way Callanetics will tighten up the skin and strengthen the entire body. Be forewarned, Callanetics may be no impact but it is far from easy. It demands a certain thoughtfulness and a strong mind/body connection but the rewards are well worth the journey.

Probably the best jumping off point is the DVD "Callanetics, 10 Years Younger in 10 Hours". Once someone has developed a familiarity with the movements it's nice to expand into "Callanetics Evolution" which approaches things from a different perspective. There are years of previous posts on this challenge thread to pull from. There are some nice video shorts on YouTube that were loaded in late last year that are wonderful demonstrations of many of the movements. Not only are they fresher in content but they include some recent modifications. There have been some recent upgrades to the program and we cover much of that here at one time or another.

If you start we advise you to be very gentle with your bodies. Some of the movements can seem intimidating and improbable, but trust me when I say you can do it and you will quickly grow stronger and improve technique. One day you find you're working right through the routine without breaks. Until then laugh at your temporary limitations. If you have any questions feel free to ask here.

I envy you having a husband brave enough to want to share the experience with you. Mine is completely intimidated from watching me practice my meditation in movement. If you stick it out you will understand. Callanetics is never boring and every time you feel you have conquered a challenge there is something else to tweak, some new way to make your body work deeper and teach you how to relax even more. It's really quite addictive.

Happy pulsing.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:18 PM   #102
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by callangirl View Post
Although I've been sick for a week, I've managed to do 7/10 for this month... Yah me!

Hope everyone is having fun pulsing!

To all the newbies...
So glad you're feeling better. It's been a rough winter for many. Nice and slow now.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:38 AM   #103
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jigglebuster
Stats: 168..153(2013)/155/Healthy 5'7.5" wrist: 6.25"
WOE: Seasonal - Organic and nothing packaged
Start Date: Callanetics : Aug 18 '09 then again: Mar 15 '13
Thanks susanw53, Susan179, and Mayleesa!

callangirl, I don't know how you did it, but today, I bow down to you.

Given my circumstances, I have re-evaluated my goal and am aiming for 8, since all I have is 3 so far. I think 5 is doable in 10 days.

In reading some of these posts it seems like many of you are really gaining in understanding and therefore results. I'm very excited for all of you!!!
Jigglebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:52 AM   #104
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tapper47
susanw53, thank you for the welcome. I used to T-tapp several years ago but hurt my back on the Primary back stretch move. Yikes.

Anyway, when I first started T-tapp it reminded me of Callanetics (which I had used successfully in the past). There are many similarities.

Because I am SO out of shape I am going to do Callanetics every other day. I certainly can feel the workout I had yesterday.
tapper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:19 PM   #105
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chantal1970
Stats: 203/197/140
WOE: Weight Watchers/Clean eating
Start Date: Restarted January 2014
Cardio Callanetics, WOW!

I started doing Cardio Callanetics today and I must say I love it. Such fluid movements do wonders for my knees. I was only able to keep the arms up for half the time as my left shoulder has a tendency to be sore from working on clients (I am a massage therapist.)

I have done hour 9 of 10/10 Callanetics and I have noticed improvement in the way I position myself for the exercises. I still take breathers but my movements are becoming more methodical and less jerky. Who would have know that I could feel so much better by working out. I have done 30 minutes of cardio 5 times a week, either Leslie Sansone,s Walk Away the Pounds, low impact aerobics and now Cardio Callanetics. I will have my husband take pictures of me tomorrow to see where I am at but I won't post them, I just do not have the confidence yet. But, I am simply happy to be working out, it is something that I look forward to and it is ME time.

Hugs to all and hope everyone is doing great!
Old 01-22-2014, 05:50 PM   #106
Senior LCF Member

7th hour done. It's a mixture of Evo and 10/10.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:20 PM   #107
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Donna D
Susan - what do you think is more effective for the abs - the Quick Callanetics for Stomach or the segment on Callanetics Evolution?

Thanks!
Donna D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:25 PM   #108
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D View Post
Susan - what do you think is more effective for the abs - the Quick Callanetics for Stomach or the segment on Callanetics Evolution?

Thanks!
Donna, personally I haven't seen the Quick Callanetics DVD so I don't know which movements are included. What I can say is that each and every variation of Callanetics abs works targeted muscles in a way no other program does. Whichever one you choose will work. The Evolution waving abs are some of my favorite work in a session. I just love the deep way they reach all the abs and I get excited when I can control them again after curling down just a bit more. Somewhere this month I posted a love story to this very movement. I would really suggest you include both groups in your personal program. They target different muscle fibers and demand different types of control. Both approaches get better results as you learn to relax more. Let the abs melt down to rest on the spine. Sorry, I always fall into teacher mode. My family is so tolerant.

I'd be interested in hearing what you choose. I'm always curious about how others structure their sessions.

Happy pulsing.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:15 PM   #109
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CathinVan
Stats: 145/143/138
Start Date: August 2013
I've managed 10 sessions so far this month. Still on the 10/10 program. I think I will try and brave the Evo Dvd next week.

Still enjoying reading about everyone's progress and susanw53's helpful tips on good form.
CathinVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:08 AM   #110
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bacon
Stats: 185/151.6/145
WOE: Moderate carb, Paleo-ish
Finished session 6 of 8. The rear/leg lift and pelvic wave exercises are getting easier each session- they were so hard for me initially!
Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:17 AM   #111
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
Finished session 6 of 8. The rear/leg lift and pelvic wave exercises are getting easier each session- they were so hard for me initially!
Good going Bacon. Isn't it impressive how quickly the body grows stronger and the technique becomes almost instinctive? Might I offer some pointers?

Any work done on the Hips and Behind is accentuated by training yourself to completely relax the large surface muscles of the legs, hips and up through the waist to the armpits. I used to encourage students to keep their face and toes so relaxed that everything in between wants to relax as well. if you keep your lips gently open with the tip of your tongue lightly resting on the roof of your mouth it will help overcome any tendency to grit the teeth, clench the jaw or tighten the neck muscles. But if you can keep those larger muscles I spoke of out of the work the core skeletal muscles will lift and move the leg on their own and your results will increase dramatically. It's the lengthening through the heel and through the crown that lifts the leg. Think of extending down the back of the leg and through the heel. Don't be afraid to lean over more. You will sit taller as you go along. Relax and see it in your mind. Your body will find the way. It may take some thought but once learned it becomes almost impossible to return to muscling into the position.

With the pelvic wave (I'm assuming you are speaking of the leg work) you also want to resist the temptation to use the larger muscles and focus instead on the small skeletal muscles. No clenching of the gluteus Maximus. Begin by lengthening the lower back by thinking of stretching the sit bones down to the floor. When you reach maximum stretch there simply curl the pelvis right there at the joint. This movement is for the legs so I try to figure out which muscle fibers I'm shooting for here and then keep relaxing everything else until I can feel those muscles engaging. For years I used all the muscles and curled under for all it was worth until my front thighs and pelvis lifted to the front. My focus now is to keep the pelvis right there where I started and make the wave a very precise movement that can definitely be seen (and believe me is definitely felt! ) but is nowhere near the amount of movement I used to get. I know a couple wicked variations on this movement when you're ready for more challenge.

A Callanetics instructor calls it the "Callanetics Paradox" of using less effort but working harder. If you switch back and forth between the two methods you will see and feel the difference. After all, if your going to devote valuable time to a body tune up you should get maximum results shouldn't you?

Keep up the great work. So much more excitement is ahead for you.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:24 AM   #112
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathinVan View Post
I've managed 10 sessions so far this month. Still on the 10/10 program. I think I will try and brave the Evo Dvd next week.

Still enjoying reading about everyone's progress and susanw53's helpful tips on good form.
I know you'll enjoy the organic approach of Evo CathinVan. I still struggle with the little dance-like warm up sequence. Fundamental Christian upbringing destroyed any sense of dance in me I fear. Someday I'll work past that. As you work through it remember that they no longer put so much emphasis on the pelvic floor engagement. In fact she now recommends you don't even think about it except that Cat Stretch I wrote of the other day.

Have fun.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:27 AM   #113
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rosebud87
Hoping someone can answer me this!

I'm about to purchase Super Callanetics (after using 10/10 AND quick callanetics legs for like a year now)... I'm wondering though how the leg section differs in Super. or is it the same?? (hope not)
rosebud87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:56 AM   #114
Senior LCF Member

Hour 10 done.

I had my husband take pictures of me and though the changes are slight, they are undeniable.

My thighs are becoming less bulky which I already noticed from the way my pants fit. I have lordosis (swayback) and scoliosis, and I do notice a significant difference in my lower back, as the curvature is not as prominent as my body is in better alignment. It seems that I am starting to lose some inches around my waist.

I think I want to keep a journal by taking pictures every 10 sessions so that I can see the progress for myself. I will put them on my fridge for extra motivation and to give myself a pat on the back for the good job.
Chantal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:22 PM   #115
Major LCF Poster!

10/13 January

For years I convinced myself that two sessions of Callanetics a week was sufficient. This past May I committed to 2-3 sessions a week and have consistently come closer to the 3 a week schedule. The result is that I have become somewhat addicted to Callanetics every other day. Where I used to have problems getting motivated to start now the internal battle it whether to take the extra day off at all. How times have changed. Being forced to buy smaller clothes was a splendid motivation. The further on I get the more it becomes about staying flexible and subtle.

One of my regular routines these days transitions from traditional to advanced movements. It's rated intermediate to advanced and oh dear Lord does it work the thighs and legs!!! No matter how I work it my thighs are quivering like mad requiring a break at least three times before I hit the floor for Finishing Stretches. The challenge begins with the traditional Waist Stretch followed by 50 pulses each side of the same movement as per Evolution in a wide plié stance and just gets more challenging from there. Every movement is pushed a bit further.

Writing all those ideas for arm work has me absolutes mesmerized by perfecting technique on upper arm work. I'm holding onto a vision of arms raised straight overhead with no tension at all in the neck and shoulders. In time. In time.

Time to finish preparing dinner. Happy pulsing all.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:58 AM   #116
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebud87 View Post
Hoping someone can answer me this!

I'm about to purchase Super Callanetics (after using 10/10 AND quick callanetics legs for like a year now)... I'm wondering though how the leg section differs in Super. or is it the same?? (hope not)
I loaned my copy out so I can't refer to it, but my recollection is that it is fundamentally the same with more intense positioning and longer reps. Super was originally designed to be used as a reference to increase the challenge of 10/10 and wasn't intended to be used as a routine in and of itself. If you are looking for a new approach, especially with the legs I would recommend Evolution instead. It's a different approach, particularly with the legs. The work done in wide plié stance is incredible and the angled leg movements are some of the the best movements in the entire,program for strengthening the lateral muscles of the leg and the deep muscles of the hip.

Good luck with your choice.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:03 AM   #117
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chantal1970 View Post
Hour 10 done.

I had my husband take pictures of me and though the changes are slight, they are undeniable.

My thighs are becoming less bulky which I already noticed from the way my pants fit. I have lordosis (swayback) and scoliosis, and I do notice a significant difference in my lower back, as the curvature is not as prominent as my body is in better alignment. It seems that I am starting to lose some inches around my waist.

I think I want to keep a journal by taking pictures every 10 sessions so that I can see the progress for myself. I will put them on my fridge for extra motivation and to give myself a pat on the back for the good job.
I highly recommend the picture journal. I take mine every 30-40 sessions because the changes can be so subtle they are difficult to notice any closer. I guarantee you will stay motivated.

By the time you get on vacation you should be feeling quite pulled in. Wait until you see how anxious you will be to get back to Callanetics. Remember the program is very travel friendly.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:43 AM   #118
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Susan179
Stats: Weight 155
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Nov. 1, 2013
Rosebud: I have the Supercallanetics and am just beginning to start back on it. I have done 10/10 for three months now before starting the Supercallanetics. The way it differs from the 10/10 is it has more exercises with added intensity than the 10/10. I don't suggest it until your body is strong enough. I don't need most of the exercises for the legs so I modify the program to meet my needs and add the stomach and upper body exercises. In the leg exercises she adds two more leg on the bar excercises to intensify the stretches. Some say the legs on the bar is not a good idea. I myself haven't had any problems with it but if you do you can try EVO which doesn't have the hips on the bar. In the hips and behind she adds two more moves at different angles to get more intensity in that area. She also adds splits to and stretches to the program. Most of the excercises are modifications to heighten the intensity of the workout. I suggest get to know all three programs and modify them to your personal body type and issues. I am beginning to do the Super, but I don't do all the excersises and I modify where needed.
Susan179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:10 PM   #119
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mayleesa
Stats: (5'5") 209/176.4/140lb
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 12/26/2013
6 of 10 completed!! I didn't see much change at 5 so I'm hoping for my 10 I will see some difference, even if it's small
mayleesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:38 PM   #120
Senior LCF Member

I took today off from working out. I did not sleep at all last night (excitement from the upcoming trip) and I had a fully booked schedule.

Will continue tomorrow, I am pooped. I have 2 lidocaine patches on my midback and I am drinking some hot tea with honey, I really hope I can get some shut eye tonight.

Susan, yes I intend to continue doing Callanetics during my trip. I got the Cardio, Evolution, 10/10 and Super DVD's for my sister. I am sure she will enjoy them.

Keep up the great work and I am glad that we are here to help and motivate each other.

Hugs to all of you.
Chantal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote