Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2014, 04:37 PM   #61
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mayleesa
Stats: (5'5") 209/176.4/140lb
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 12/26/2013
I can NOT wait to do my next hour tomorrow!! I will use your advice and hopefully my neck will not hurt so bad, I definitely felt a little sore today, not terrible by any means, but like I worked out....strange thing though is that yesterday I didn't feel as tho I WAS working out. so this is a completely different approach to something I've tried SOOOO hard to accomplish (with little results) massive amounts of cardio and weight training. I am so excited to see what 10 hours can do....like my body is a new toy...

JB I hope you feel better soon!!! HUGS
Sw53 thanks for all of your positive insight!!! it means more than you know

Last edited by mayleesa; 01-13-2014 at 04:39 PM..
mayleesa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2014, 05:07 PM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chantal1970
Stats: 203/197/140
WOE: Weight Watchers/Clean eating
Start Date: Restarted January 2014
I started Callanetics today, 10 hour DVD. This has been the best my back and joints have felt in a long time. I feel so much relief! I plan on doing 2 hours a day for the remaining of January and then I will go back to 1 hour each day. Hope everyone is staying fit and healthy!
Chantal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:15 PM   #63
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CathinVan
Stats: 145/143/138
Start Date: August 2013
Just finished my 5th session so far this month. I have been doing a bit more swimming so far but getting back on track to see if I can get to 15 by the end of January.
CathinVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:54 AM   #64
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susanw53
Stats: 238.9/195.2/155
WOE: Just sensible control
Start Date: Callanetics, 7/98, restart 5/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chantal1970 View Post
I started Callanetics today, 10 hour DVD. This has been the best my back and joints have felt in a long time. I feel so much relief! I plan on doing 2 hours a day for the remaining of January and then I will go back to 1 hour each day. Hope everyone is staying fit and healthy!
Chantal1970, please tell me you are talking about an extended regular session that you stretched into 2 hours by working super slow. Doing two full sessions of Callanetics in a single day is not recommended. Your results will not improve appreciably but you WILL increase your chances of injury or deep fatigue. Don't be fooled by the fact that you are not sweating up a storm or creating copious amounts of lactic acid. Callanetics works your muscles deeper than almost any other program out there and the rest time is every bit as important as the practice time. I understand your enthusiasm. We have all been swept up in the excitement of getting these incredible results. Play safe and be gentle with your body. Callanetics is about working connected and controlled. That's why Callan designed it to be done 2-3 times a week instead of every day. If you are doing them every day be sure to give your body one or two days a week off to rejuvenate and repair. If your energy levels demand more fitness time might I suggest you take every other day and devote it to your favorite fitness program that isn't Callanetics. You will be pleasantly surprised at how Callanetics will make everything else you pursue easier to do.

Do stick with Callanetics though. Nothing else will give you that individually formatted silky smooth body suit molded to your particular skeletal system.

Happy pulsing.
susanw53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:57 AM   #65
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathinVan View Post
Just finished my 5th session so far this month. I have been doing a bit more swimming so far but getting back on track to see if I can get to 15 by the end of January.
Welcome back CathinVan.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:50 AM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for your advice! I will do as you suggest then. It was so nice to be able to feel my muscles lengthen and almost no back pain that I wanted to do more. I am a massage therapist and my job is very physical so it was nice to find a workout that helped me alleviate some of the pain I carry. I will do it everyday except weekends or I might even alternate a day off during the week. And yes I do feel my deeper layers of muscle. It's almost like feeling my body awaken. Very pleased.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:39 AM   #67
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thanks for your advice! I will do as you suggest then. It was so nice to be able to feel my muscles lengthen and almost no back pain that I wanted to do more. I am a massage therapist and my job is very physical so it was nice to find a workout that helped me alleviate some of the pain I carry. I will do it everyday except weekends or I might even alternate a day off during the week. And yes I do feel my deeper layers of muscle. It's almost like feeling my body awaken. Very pleased.
Years ago I worked as a tutor for the Office of Vocational Rehibilitation and one of the challenges I undertook was helping someone successfully complete a course in Swedish Massage Therapy. My original assignment was to tutor her in academics but when she failed the practical test I agreed to tutor her in technique. One of the first things I did was to teach her Callanetics because I knew instinctively that it would greatly benefit her. As part of my tutoring technique her instructor would demonstrate on me and then I would take a week to firmly establish the techniques in my student, then we would move on to the next stage. In essence I was trained in basics as well and practiced on family to perfect firm before attempting to teach my student. It was one of the strangest jobs I ever had and I laugh about never getting a complete massage myself. I can say from experience that Callanetics will be a strong compliment to your work in massage. You will be feeling much younger and stronger and in all probability pain free within the month.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:17 PM   #68
Major LCF Poster!

6/13 January

I'm going to have to check to see how many sessions I'm in total. I lost track sometime last month but I think I'm close to 100 consecutive sessions. In 25 years this is the most consistent I have been and learning to work relaxed and effortlessly has improved my results beyond anything I have experienced along the way. I can't tell you enough how liberating and youthful it feels to be able to wear jeans again. It's not only that I can get them on, but that they fit so well, actually loose in the legs and at the waist. I can comfortably slip both hands into the front pockets with my wallet in the back pocket. I feel normal in jeans where I was feeling like someone's old grandma in sweats. Now I feel athletic in sweats!

I always try to fit my session in during the morning hours while Dale sleeps off the drowsy effects of his morning meds but today got disrupted by the need to run out early to pick up sample meds at one of his doctor's office causing my Callanetics session to get pushed back to early afternoon. When I got back Dale was already up and watching one of his favorite tv shows. Although he would have allowed me to turn on a video for my session I couldn't bring myself to ask so I worked around the sound of American Restorations in the background. It takes more focus to tune out the tv but in the end it was no effort at all. I simply free-formed the session as I went along, playing with shorter reps but more variations.

There were a couple moments that were incredible standouts today. During the hips and behind work I could see that before long I won't be able to even remember how to 'muscle into' the movement. It's becoming second nature to let the hips melt while I pulse which creates this fabulous lengthening of the torso. Also,while doing the cross over torso twist in the finishing stretches I could feel an amazing improvement in lengthening and relaxing as the knee came over and I turned my head the opposite way. Stunning! Some time ago I stopped trying to get that knee to the floor, choosing instead to allow my body the time to get there using only gravity. Turning the head the opposite way causes a release through the torso that lets the knee to go over further.

I've been amazed lately at how much younger I feel and that awareness is most pronounced when I am out and about and around community members who are near my age and who I can see are beginning to fall into the trap of shuffling and hobbling through life. That was me a mere year ago. Like maylessa it feels like my body is a new toy. May it never end.

Stronger, thinner and better aligned than when I started. Nothing works as well as Callanetics. Happy pulsing all.

"The position isolates and the pulse trains. "
Old 01-14-2014, 03:54 PM   #69
Major LCF Poster!

I checked and I've just done my 91st consecutive session of Callanetics. Feeling really proud of myself.

Jigglebuster I just wanted you to know I was sending you healing thoughts.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:44 PM   #70
Major LCF Poster!

2 finished!!!! Feeling better but still not fluent in some of the movements!!!! Thanks again for the awesome advice!!! Yay
Old 01-14-2014, 09:49 PM   #71
Senior LCF Member

Awww Susan I am so happy for you! What an inspiration, and you stuck with it!! Well, I just finished my 2nd callanetics session along with a half hour walk at home video. I feel every muscle in my body, but oddly enough, I am not in limiting pain. This is great since as I mentioned before, my job is physically demanding.
Haha, wow, so you know exactly how I feel about my posture and pain, I really appreciate your thoughts. Sigh...I used to think that my job was my workout, and yes I probably burn calories while working on people, but I need to workout for myself, for my clarity, peace of mind, focus, well being, you name it!
Old 01-15-2014, 05:44 AM   #72
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Awww Susan I am so happy for you! What an inspiration, and you stuck with it!! Well, I just finished my 2nd callanetics session along with a half hour walk at home video. I feel every muscle in my body, but oddly enough, I am not in limiting pain. This is great since as I mentioned before, my job is physically demanding.
Haha, wow, so you know exactly how I feel about my posture and pain, I really appreciate your thoughts. Sigh...I used to think that my job was my workout, and yes I probably burn calories while working on people, but I need to workout for myself, for my clarity, peace of mind, focus, well being, you name it!
Massge therapy is very physically demanding, calling on every muscle in your body. The Callanetics approach strengthens and nourishes those muscles from the inside out, making your core so healthy that in time your bones find their way back into proper alignment and everything from the core out begins to find their proper home as well. You will suddenly find yourself instinctively positioning in a more solid way that will probably surprise you at first and then quickly become second nature. As you grow more familiar with the movements your technique will continually improve and you will learn to relax even more and stretch along your counter extensions even more and relax even more. I'll be watching for the progression of "Aha!" moments I know are in your immediate future.

Happy pulsing Chantal.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:54 AM   #73
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayleesa View Post
2 finished!!!! Feeling better but still not fluent in some of the movements!!!! Thanks again for the awesome advice!!! Yay
That fluency will come sooner than you expect. One of the things I love about Callanetics is the ability to get incredible results as your technique develops. As you become more fluid and learn to relax even more your results begin to fast track. Another of my favorite features is that they never get "easy" to do. Callanetics demands that strong mind/body connection if you want the results you seek and there's always another adaptation you can make to increase the challenge level once you have mastered a movement to the point that you want more challenge. With some of the recent advancements in the series there is no longer the element of boredom to deal with. We should be able to keep you excited and motivated as Callanetics becomes part of your personal DNA.

Happy pulsing mayleesa.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:43 PM   #74
Major LCF Poster!

7/13 Jan 2014

I went into today's session with a couple things in mind. First, I wanted to be aware of lengthening from the ribs down to the pelvis as I rotated during the side rotations in Evo Waving Abs. I'm trying to get a greater sense of lengthening through the crown and the heels, creating as much interior 'opening' as possible. My other thought was to have a greater sense of being in the moment, in the movement (a thought passed on by a friendly instructor).

When I do Evo's Waving Abs I no longer do the downward sweep of the hand as you rotate to the side. Instead I focus on keeping the arm on a level plane as I rotate from the upper back, lengthening up the entire time. Eyes focused on the fingertips, the whole upper body moving freely as one stable unit. Today was an exceptional session for this particular movement. I've always had a tendency to tense through the hip joints as I rotate but today I was able to stay lengthened out and relaxed with a control that surprised me. I do two reps of the entire sequence and today I was able to get halfway through before pausing with no tension in the hips at all. With brief breathers between the remaining abs movements I was finally able to get through the entire 100 pulses in each movement without pause. That only took 92 consecutive sessions.

Legs in wide plié are getting easier to do. I chose to do the plié waves with my feet flat on the floor but I managed to successfully manage the Up and Down pliés high up on the toes. I find it easier to keep the sense of sliding my back down a wall if I have one arm reaching up, shoulders completely relaxed and down the back. Whew! Sooner or later I'm going to have legs strong enough to be able to do them straight through. For now I do 5 and then turn to face the other way at the barre, reposition and raise the other arm to finish. I am particularly attentive to keeping the fingers lightly balanced on the barre. No allowing the arms to get into the act. This is about the legs.

Eleven years ago menopause left me with zero sex drive. I firmly believe that Callanetics, and the Pelvic Rotations in particular, is my best chance of regaining that misplaced part of me. I give much thought into pelvic rotations. I still have to break between sides but the execution is amazing! I do these in front of mirrors and there is absolutely no movements from the ribs up through the fingertips. It's really wonderful to watch in action. I've been working on improving the range of motion in my wrists and hands so I've been starting these by interlocking my fingers together, stretched to the front and palms out, then raised over the head, palms up. Do that without shifting the ribs and stabilize up before raising off the heels to begin rotations. Being able to keep the curl precisely concentrated in the small skeletal muscles engages many more different muscle fibers than letting the bigger muscles do the major work. We are training our body to work from the inside out for greater control and faster results.

I can testify that my body is really beginning to firm up in a serious way. You gotta love a program that delivers on the promise.

Here we go into the second half of the month. Great work going on here. Happy pulsing all.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:55 PM   #75
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kaisergirl
Stats: 152~176 (preg)~ 133~192 (preg)~146~130 5'4
WOE: Atkins/low cal
Start Date: Jan. 2003
I am so intrigued. I used to frequent lcf years ago when I first discovered lc. I was a FIRM girl and got myself a nice shape well 2 precious kids and 10 yrs later I'd really like to wear a bikini again. I found the youtube videos, I'll try those tomorrow. Today I did a Pilates one. I've never been a lover of intense cardio, sweating and hot and out of breath ugh. So I'm in for the 10 challenge!
kaisergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:27 AM   #76
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kaceycrawford
Thanks for the lovely warm welcome Susan I'm committing to 10 hours by the end of January. I have the full 60 minute 10 in 10 DVD as well as the AM/PM (2 x 20 min workouts). I love doing the PM workout before I go to bed and could happily do that every day - and then try to factor in some of the AM workouts too or some of the 10 in 10. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether daily AM/PM is any more or less effective than just a few 10 in 10 workouts a week? Obviously it's so much easier to carve out 2 x 20 minute time slots in your day than it is a full 60 minutes sometimes.
kaceycrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 05:48 AM   #77
Major LCF Poster!

I didn't have time to post the last 2 days have been crazy crazy busy, BUT I have completed 3 Thursday night and after a loooong day at work too, I was exhausted. I have to say that afterwards I felt so incredibly relaxed and took a shower and fell into one of the deepest sleeps ever....when my dog got up in the middle of the night to go out I actually had to pull myself out of bed as I had felt nailed to it. then I went right back to sleep as tho he never got up, usually I'm wide awake after that. Today will be number 4 and I'm very much looking forward to it!!! BRING ON THIS HOT BOD....there is a hot woman inside of me screaming to be set free....I can hear her!!! I'm not sure if its me trying to make it into something but I really feel this is making a difference even after only 3 sessions......
Old 01-18-2014, 01:26 PM   #78
Major LCF Poster!

number 4!!!! DONE YO.....feeling incredible. I'm not sure results are happening as I don't want to rush it. Going by feeling, yep it's working, by looks I am FAR to hating on my appearance right now, maybe I will take pictures tomorrow as those people in her video in the 19 hours with the momentum pics.....I wonder how far out those were spaced. When did you take pictures or measurements, how often....I'm too excited to think that only 10 ours could make a difference.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:00 PM   #79
Major LCF Poster!

8/13 January

Wow! That was an incredible session! At each step along the way I focused on getting a bit more relaxation to permit just a bit more lengthening, stretch, rotation. I am somewhat stunned at how marvelous it felt when I was suddenly finishing up. My body performed at an unprecedented level of strength and control. It's like I'm learning to move in a completely new body. In all my years I don't recall feeling this in control and I still have 50 more pounds of body fat to eliminate. Out of the blue yesterday my husband commented on how I was developing a shape again. The best motivation is being noticed by the man I adore.

Continuing on my quest to develop better range of motion in the arms and wrists I've been doing lots of interlinking the fingers and extending the arm, palms out, then raising the stable unit over the head smooth and strong without moving the ribs or letting the neck or shoulders tighten up. It's tough for me but I'm noticing improvement. Today there was almost no bend to the elbows. I'm also working on keeping the raised arm straight as it gets rotated after reaching to the side during the Waist Stretch Warm Up (my favorite movement). It requires my learning how to completely relax the lateral muscles of the torso as I lengthen through the core and to allow the extension from the scapula through the middle fingers. So much depends on a softening and lengthening of the torso.

Abs were all done in sets of 50. I find I like the break to think about it as much as for catching my breath and completely letting go before starting back up. Hips and Behind, sitting and kneeling, were in blocks of 75 instead of 100 because I always throw in my favorite rotational ones at 50 reps each, bent and straight leg.

My regular solitary session (as opposed to following along with a class video) still strongly follows 10/10 which I originally taught myself from the book and which is so firmly implanted in my memory that I sometimes think it's part of my DNA. Recently I have augmented 10/10 with various modifications and I'm more creative about where I fit movements into the routine. One of the changes that has been a good fit is reworking the stretch routine and ending with a Finishing Stretches section after the Pelvic and Thigh work. Now I tend to start with legs spread wide and walking the hands to the front followed by the side stretch from Evolution, either knee bent or both legs straight and open wide. There's something almost magical about this stretch to me. I'm partial to the leg bent. I love the challenge of keeping the sit bones firmly planted on the floor as I lengthen u-u-up through the spine and gently rotate towards the bent knee, take a breath and lengthen further U-P as I lift out of the stable pelvis and fall over to the side. I always go over as far as I can initially then pause to rotate the upper arm palm up before I let the lower arm drop in front of the extended leg. After another brief pause to take a deep breath I allow myself to relax over further, being very aware of keeping the neck completely relaxed. I'm falling in love with this stretch.

Next I do Pelvic Rotations and whatever style of Scoops catches my fancy, then the Front Thigh Stretch before moving into Finishing Stretches. It always feels so good to get down to the floor. I typically do a Hamstring Stretch using a yoga strap and then indulge myself in a good Torso Twist. Finishing up with a Cat Stretch gets the pelvic floor in optimal condition and I close out with a Corpse Position to check in on my body and feel for changes.

I think I'm a little obsessed, but in a good way. Thanks for listening.

kaiser girl. It will be a pleasure to join in your transformation. Be gentle with yourself and expect to improve quickly. It really is all about learning how to completely relax as you pulse with deliberate control so you become strong very quickly.

Kacey, many people have appreciated the benefits from AM/PM for years. Be sure not to shortchange Warm Ups and try to fit a full session in from time to time. Callanetics can be very adaptable to the schedule. It's designed it to be done 2-3 times a week because life is too complicated most times for daily fitness time. This way you can get maximum results with minimal time invested and can encourage more incidental movement in your daily life. You're going to find it easier and more enjoyable to move anyway so you might as well take that extra walk.

Mayleesa, nothing gives the results Callanetics offers. Nothing. Hence my ongoing love affair with this genius fitness program. You are not imagining the results you are feeling. This is only the beginning.

Enough. Happy pulsing all.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:16 AM   #80
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayleesa View Post
number 4!!!! DONE YO.....feeling incredible. I'm not sure results are happening as I don't want to rush it. Going by feeling, yep it's working, by looks I am FAR to hating on my appearance right now, maybe I will take pictures tomorrow as those people in her video in the 19 hours with the momentum pics.....I wonder how far out those were spaced. When did you take pictures or measurements, how often....I'm too excited to think that only 10 ours could make a difference.
To answer your questions about pictures and measurements:
I didn't think to take pictures until about 40 sessions in. I posted those along with the ones following my 60th session on the Callanetics Before and After Photos thread started by Watch Me Shrink. I took more at the end of the year around session 80 but I'm having difficulty getting them posted. I personally think that the changes are more noticeable every 20 sessions or more. I also highly recommend taking pictures for your own encouragement. The changes brought on by Callanetics can be so subtle that we won't notice it in the mirror day-to-day and the pictures don't lie.

Measurements are a bit more of a challenge. It can be so easy to manipulate that tape measure to get a better reading. One of my instructors recommends you record not only the precise place you measured but also it's position in relation to the floor. So for every horizontal measurement around there will be a corresponding measurement vertically. It keeps you more consistent.

I prefer to gauge my progress by how my clothes fit. I'm consistently slipping into smaller clothes so I'm one happy camper. Isn't this fun?
Old 01-19-2014, 08:15 AM   #81
Major LCF Poster!

haha it is fun, while smaller clothes haven't happened yet, I will take pictures I think in 5 session increments just to have a solid half way point between 0 and 10. yeah measurements are tricky beasts so I can't much rely there I guess. I ache for smaller clothes!!!! I think I can, I think I can!!!
Old 01-19-2014, 06:05 PM   #82
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marlenelet
6 hours done this month. Started on Evo a couple of times. It must be working some new muscles as I feel soreness in my legs I've never felt before. I've been making good progress with the 10/10 on abs and behind, but thighs are still jiggly. This is after 60+ hours. I hope Evo speeds things up!
marlenelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:19 AM   #83
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlenelet View Post
6 hours done this month. Started on Evo a couple of times. It must be working some new muscles as I feel soreness in my legs I've never felt before. I've been making good progress with the 10/10 on abs and behind, but thighs are still jiggly. This is after 60+ hours. I hope Evo speeds things up!
Marlenelet I knew you'd enjoy Evo. Isn't it intriguing how much of a difference you feel after an Evo session? The big trick is the more you can extend out through the counter extensions creating more and more internal length the more dramatic the increase in results will be. I know what you mean about the legs. I've been pushing myself to master those wide stance plié movements from Evo and I can tell you it's quite a challenge. I still have to do the pelvic waves with my feet flat on the floor, but today I'm hoping to be able to get up on the toes for each of them. The quivering begins with the first move.

Remember, it's all about getting the position just right and the creating as much length and as much relaxation as you can muster. The position isolates the muscle and the pulse trains it.

I will tell you that the instructor of Evo now recommends students forget about all the pelvic floor engagement they spoke of in Evo. With the exception of one of the Hips and Behind movements and a nice Cat Stretch at the end of a class she now makes almost no mention of engaging the pelvic floor. That's not to say that the pelvic floor isn't important, just that recent studies have proven that over working the pelvic floor can actually create unwanted changes in the muscles of the floor and we want the muscles to be a healthy length, not too short, not too long. Truth be told Callanetics as a program creates a healthy pelvic floor environment so there's no reason to pay so much attention beyond the basic movements. These days focus is on alignment and keeping the checkpoints in place as you lengthen out through the counter extensions. The results speak for themselves.

If you don't know the cat stretch I can write it up for you. I now close most of my routines out with this gentle 20-30 second stretch.

Enjoy and Happy Pulsing.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:16 AM   #84
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: PurpleJade
Hi Lovely People!

Well I aimed really high on my monthly callanetics goal, I said I wanted to complete 20 sessions but thus far have only completed 6 sessions for the month. Since I started callanetics on Dec 17th, 2013 I have completed a total of 15 sessions! I am definitely seeing changes in my body, I sometimes have to do double takes in the mirror. I am trying not to use the scale as my guide so I will not get discouraged, I am taking monthly pictures to track my progress. I did have to weigh myself one morning when I felt a change and was not sure if it was in my mind - low and behold, I dropped about 5 pounds since I weighed myself back in December. On the days I am not doing callanetics I am using the Tracy Anderson Post Pregnancy Workout (never had a baby but I figure if it is good for women who are trying to get their abs back after pregnancy, it will be good for anyone. I also do 20mins of Core Rhythms for my cardio.

Susanw53 thank you so much for your posts and encouragement I receive a lot from it. Jigglebuster I wish you a speedy recovery.

Happy pulsing to all!
PurpleJade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:48 AM   #85
Senior LCF Member

Loving Callanetics!!

I am done with my 6th hour, oh my!!! I feel wonderful and it was great that I was able to use better body mechanics when giving massages. My husband and I have noticed that I have improved my posture significantly. I even sleep better from not having so much pain as before. Next month I am going on a trip to Panama, where I am from originally to see my family and friends. I will be visiting a few spas and getting facials, hair treatments, carboxytherapy, lypolaser, relaxation and lymphatic drainage massage. This is my first vacation in ages and I am so excited! I work at a spa and it sure will be nice to be a guest at one!!!

How is everyone doing? Have a blessed day!
Old 01-20-2014, 11:14 AM   #86
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: callangirl
Stats: 255/140/135
Start Date: July 3, 2012
Although I've been sick for a week, I've managed to do 7/10 for this month... Yah me!

Hope everyone is having fun pulsing!

To all the newbies...
callangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:22 AM   #87
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: callangirl
Stats: 255/140/135
Start Date: July 3, 2012
Chantal1970, your planned vacation sounds heavenly, I could go for that lymphatic drainage massage.
callangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:04 PM   #88
Major LCF Poster!

just finished 5 and will take midway photos tomorrow. my next question is, what about the arms!!! my butt and thighs I can hide in summer dresses if I need to but I LIVE in tanks and sleevless everything all summer long. the only one that really addresses arms is the warmup in 10/10 and my upper arms and underneath/armpital area if you will, is begging for love....the arms backwards thumbs touching move seems to be the only thing she does for there.....any suggestions or should I pick my weights back up for a solo session everyother day??
Old 01-20-2014, 05:29 PM   #89
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: PurpleJade
Mayleesa, Tracy Anderson has a very good arm workout on YouTube you can check it out and see if you like it. I am doing her arm work but it is too soon to tell at this point.
PurpleJade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:18 PM   #90
Major LCF Poster!

Mayleesa I have quite a few Callanetics arm variations you could play with. Starting with the traditional Underarm Tightener there are four different pulsing forms you could try:

- back and forth, bringing thumbs towards each other
- up and down
- tiny outward circles
- corkscrew twisting so thumbs pulse away from the spine

If course you are always properly aligned, upper thighs rotated out, lower back lengthened to bring the pubic bones, pelvis and ribs into the same plane, scapulae relaxed and down the back, neck completely relaxed, breathing freely. I know, I can't believe I can control that much simultaneously either. It's also important to think about where the movement begins. When I have my arms outstretched I begin with a gentle push of the scapulae followed by a mental push from the upper arms continuing the wave by a gentle extension of the upper arms flowing out through the fingertips to get a maximum extension before rolling the arms over like I'm trying to wring out the arms.

I usually do 25 reps of each of these pulses to give more variety to the session and hit as many different fibers as possible.

You can also vary the way you bring the arms to the back.

#1. After rolling the arms over begin a corkscrew pulse to bring the thumbs to the ceiling. After 10 pulses move the arms 1/3 if the way back and do another 10 pulses. Move back another 1/3 and do another 10 pulses. Now bring the arms all the way back and begin your 100 pulses, mixing it up any way you choose.

#2. After rolling the arms begin bringing the arms to the back corkscrew pulsing as you go until you're all the way around.

Either of these can be modified by bending from the hips as in Evolution. Be careful about keeping the ribs relaxed and down and the neck completely relaxed.

There's also a variation that begins with the arms to the front, bent at the elbows, palms facing you. Now twist the thumbs to the outside to feel the upper arms engage. Keep that tension and begin pulsing the thumbs a bit further 10 times. Continue pulsing as you bring the arms out to the side. Extend the arms out, roll them over and continue as normal.

I actually have more ideas when you're ready. I fully encourage you to try push ups. I get stronger every day and I can feel my chest firming up as my arms pull in. See? Lots to do for the arms and no equipment necessary.

Hope this helped.