LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2013, 06:51 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: susanw53
Stats: 238.9/195.2/155
WOE: Just sensible control
Start Date: Callanetics, 7/98, restart 5/2013
Callanetics Challenge, December, 2013

All right, let's pulse the old year out and prepare for a wonderful new year ahead!!!

Restore those tired and misused muscles. Realign your body to its' natural form. Sculpt the curves you've admired in others. Be stronger every day. All this and more is possible with the controlled and gentle pulsing of Callanetics. Amaze your friends and family this holiday season and treat yourself to the best gift you could offer - a healthier, leaner, more vibrant you. Are you in?

Happy pulsing.
susanw53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2013, 09:45 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Susan, thanks for the new thread!

Daily Callanetics for me! They are my daily miracle exercises.
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:48 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jigglebuster
Stats: 168..153(2013)/155/Healthy 5'7.5" wrist: 6.25"
WOE: Organic and nothing packaged and 70% raw.
Start Date: Callanetics : Aug 18 '09 then again: Mar 15 '13
I'm in! I'm going to say 10, although I'm secretly hoping for more.
Jigglebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:19 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: callangirl
Stats: 255/144/135
Start Date: July 3, 2012
I won't be joining you all this month; I plan on setting up an exercise area dedicated to Callanetics so I can be ready for January. In the meantime, I'll be working out via Jillian Michaels and Joyce Vedral. Of course, I'll be stopping by to read the thread...

Good Luck Everyone!

Last edited by callangirl; 12-01-2013 at 11:26 AM..
callangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:38 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

I'm in for 10 this month. I'm also committing to doing my Daily Stretches every day in hopes that the habit will be firmly fixed by the New Year. Tomorrow is Callanetics and Daily Stretch is now 1/31.

Like Jigglebuster I'm secretly hoping for more sessions. Auntie Em, I'm beginning to see how Daily Callanetics would be doable for me. I get the itch every day and lately I've been playing with the idea shorter routines for alternate days. If you don't mind me asking, do you have a regular routine or do you mix it up for variety? Do you schedule the same time daily or do you wing it?

Callangirl enjoy your break. Have fun with your space. I've really enjoyed pulling mine together. I'm almost giddy about finally getting a barre mounted. If I can get that elusive hanging bar I'll be beside myself with joy. See you in the New Year.

Happy pulsing all.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:39 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CathinVan
Stats: 145/143/138
Start Date: August 2013
I am going to try for 15 this month as I am away on holiday quite a bit and am worried about all the extra calories I am likely to consume in December.
CathinVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 03:06 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cutie44404
Iam in for 24 sessions , Iam a beginner
cutie44404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:03 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marlenelet
Count me in for the December challenge. My target this month is 12 sessions.
marlenelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:31 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutie44404 View Post
Iam in for 24 sessions , Iam a beginner
cutie44404. I must say 24 sessions in a month for someone just beginning is a bit ambitious. It is often recommended to start with a string of consecutive days, I usually recommend you break the first session into 1/4 -1/2 the pulses and do them every day beginning each session with the entire warm up sequence, then take a break for a day or two to give your muscles a chance to recover. Then start in with your planned schedule. This gives your body a chance to learn the movements without unnecessary strain. Regardless of your choice in scheduling it is necessary to give your body a day or two off every week to rejuvenate and repair.

Treat yourself to a trip back through previous monthly challenges (the archives go back about 3 years) for the wealth of valuable advice and support recorded there. If we can be of any assistance just ask and someone on this wonderfully supportive thread will have an answer.

Happy pulsing
Old 12-02-2013, 10:14 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Susan, daily Callanetics keep me somewhat flexible, less squeaky and creaky, as well as building strength, tone, and poise, and making me "smilier". I modify the exercises, add rests and senior yoga, and just make a routine that I like. Some days I do more repetitions, some days fewer.

I think Callan's method of being in control of oneself during every phase of an exercise, as well as before, after, and in between, is brilliant.

With the PF, counterpulls, and mindful breathing, I can add bits of the Callanetics principles into anything I'm doing. I love it!

Callanetics are a dear present I give myself, each and every day.

Best wishes for happy, healthy LCing.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:47 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

1/10 December

1/10 completed. Got the Daily Stretches in as well. I'm experimenting with some shorter sessions working very focused on the concepts of exact alignment, increased range of motion when positioning and fewer repetitions, but done with intense awareness. When I finish I feel more refreshed and energetic and always have this amazing sense of being taller and more graceful. It's hard to describe, but it feels like my torso is pulled in more than normal after the session and that sense has been hanging on for about 36 hours or more, by which point I'm getting ready for the next session. I am one happy camper.

My abs run today was one of my recent favorites With both legs up, arms to one side and head turned the opposite way while you pulse 50 times to the center. Then, keeping the legs up, back to the center, curl up again and arms to the front on either side of the legs for 50 more pulses. Finish with another set up curl and 50 pulses with arms to the other side. Whew! This time I made it 2/3 through before my body said "NO!" and I had to break. It's only 150 pulses but deeply focused on the pulse beginning right below the ribcage and with absolute control and feels like I'm getting excellent results. My tendency to lift the abs is countered with a strong control to see the abs melting right down to the floor beneath. I'm working on intensifying the awareness of the counter extension through the crown while doing these and it's really paying off with additional length through the spine. This little voice in my head keeps reminding me to relax even more with each exhale. My body is doing some amazing things lately and every session I get more and more excited.

Any day now my ballet barre will be delivered and tomorrow I'm getting out to purchase a pull up bar to hang in a door jam in the apartment. By week's end I should have my dream space all done. I'm still a little shocked that I finally allowed myself to do this for me. It only took 25 years! Maybe there's hope for me yet.

It's a wonderful day for Callanetics. Happy pulsing all.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:51 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

marlenelet, good work on achieving your goal for November. The holiday months are so challenging for regular anything. I'm proud of you.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:15 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

thanks susan. you're my inspiration

I haven't been to the gym in weeks and Sunday was the first time in weeks I've viewed myself in a full length mirror in the gym. I'm pleasantly surprised that my lower legs have slimmed down a lot....pleasant surprises like these keep me going. LOL!
Old 12-03-2013, 08:54 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

I just had my first, wonderful session for this month, not too fast, not too slow.

As most of you know, my hips have been having some temper tantrums over the past month or so, as I advance in Callanetics. The latest, is that they have been aching in the sockets when I lay on my side in bed and for a little while after I get up in the mornings.

Well, today something wonderful happened.... I heard the wonderful sound of calcium crunching as I moved! Because the aching was brought on after my tailbone dislocated, which happened after a hip realignment, I was absolutely certain it wasn't arthritis suddenly kicking in, and now it's been confirmed. It seems what has been happening is my hips have been repositioned which allows some access to where the calcium build-up is.

Anyway, a few years ago, Callanetics helped rid my knee of calcium build-up, and it has been strong and reliable ever since. So, I am really looking forward to what is happening with my hips, even if it is a little uncomfortable while I go through the process. I'm really very excited about it. Currently, after the crunching of calcium, they are not achy as they have been, but there is a slight burning feeling coming from them instead.

On another note, my splits have advanced yet again, and I am down to 1.25 ft from the floor! Getting there!

I'm looking forward to reading all your advancements over this next month. Happy Pulsing!!!
Thighs: L:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
........R:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
Above Knee: 21.5(2009)...16.25"(Mar2013)/15.25"/15.5
(M)Calves L: 17.5(J2010)...15"(Mar2013)/14.5"/ 14.0
.........R: 17(J2010)...14.6"(Mar2013)/14.25"/14.0
Starting all over with 185 hours (1/? this month) of Callanetics, and playing outside!

Last edited by Jigglebuster; 12-03-2013 at 08:55 AM..
Old 12-03-2013, 10:12 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Susan, I, too, like that tall, poised, lithe feeling. And I do think that Callanetics comes in that category of exercise which increases GABA.

JB, that's quite interesting about eliminating the calcium build-up. Congratulations on your successes!

Best wishes to all.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:50 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

3/31 Daily Stretch with a nice 13 minute Callenetics run thrown in to extend that pulled in and tall feeling I get from a regular session. Mission accomplished.

Happy pulsing.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:35 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

1st session of the month completed!
Old 12-03-2013, 06:23 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Susan179
Stats: Weight 155
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Nov. 1, 2013
Goals

My goal is 10 this month. Just finished first one.
Susan179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:58 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Auntie Em! My hips are doing much better this morning, which is making me look forward to my next session and hearing more calcium crunching away. And that will either happen today or tomorrow morning.

I have a couple questions for all of you:
How high is your bar? Have you increased the height over the time you've been doing Callanetics or maintained it?
Old 12-04-2013, 04:38 PM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Susan179
Stats: Weight 155
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Nov. 1, 2013
The height of my bar is the top of my couch. i can't get any higher and do the exercises correctly.
Susan179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:45 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigglebuster View Post
Thanks Auntie Em! My hips are doing much better this morning, which is making me look forward to my next session and hearing more calcium crunching away. And that will either happen today or tomorrow morning.

How high is your bar? Have you increased the height over the time you've been doing Callanetics or maintained it?
I ordered mine at 36 inches which is about hip height. My major goal was to be at a good height for floor Hips and Behind movements. I recently came across an article at dailylife.com.au entitled "Is women's flexibility a liability in yoga?" that caught me off guard, warning of problems with hips that the medical profession is becoming increasingly concerned with. In particular the leg on the barre movements looked to be a concern so I asked a Callanetics instructor about it and she informed me that she stopped teaching these movements a couple years ago because of this concern. This was one of the reasons she started focusing on evolving the program to include more Somatic influences and introduced the Daily Stretch routine to her program. Read the article. After my discussion with her today I am discontinuing the heel and arch on the barre for less problematic stretches.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:38 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigglebuster View Post
I'm just using my bed, which is knee high. LOL! Just wondering, will it benefit more if I stretch higher?

I measure my progress by how near my chest is to the floor in the other stretch. I've gotten to within 4 inches, but I've not made much progress since then.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

2/10 December

Quite a workout today! I'm starting to really get the hang of those relaxed counter extensions and the result is so much quivering going on I can't believe it. Sooner or later I'm going to get through a full abs session without stopping, but I don't think it's going to be anytime soon.

I've been working a lot lately with a variation of the seated waving abs movement from Evo and I can't believe how beautifully my waist is pulling in. I can feel the obliques working so smoothly it amazes me and I'm curling back deeper every time. It's such a dance: curl deeper and fall back a bit more and start all over again gaining the control to do that lovely sweep to the sides smoothly and in triple slow movement. Whew! It's in the sixties here today and steadily raining, so I was covered in sweat by the time I was done with the whole abs sequence. These are so brutal sometimes. I always find myself breaking after every two reps for the last 10 pulses.

My right adductor hasn't bothered me in a couple days now. Maybe next Monday for my birthday I'll give the Open and Close another try.

Got the ballet barre yesterday. We will be installing it this afternoon. Life is sweet.

Happy pulsing all.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:47 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

I wrote such a great post, only to have it disappear, because I wasn't logged in by the time I clicked on Submit.

Anyway, marlenelet, no, you don't have to be doing anything, just listen to your body. I was just asking out of curiosity. It's kind of interesting picturing everyone doing their Callanetics in their different places. I'm on my window sill, which is about 2 feet high. A few years ago I was using my desk, which I keep at 28", but I feel like my window sill is perfect for what I need right now.

susanw53, I read the article. It's very interesting and applies to almost every 10/10 stretch. Ha ha! The one thing it did say repeatedly though, is not necessarily not to do the movements, but that women who have the problem tend to apply the "no pain no gain" mentality to their stretches and movements. I think the way we've been promoting the "don't push be gentle" approach, most of us are safe.

It's funny, as I read it, I got all egocentric , and I could imagine people reading these threads and thinking I am one of those women, but don't fret! I am not, I just have a special body. In fact, it was my skull that was dislocated a few years ago, if that tells you anything. I'm pretty sure that's not normal.

AND! Speaking of hip replacements, I feel like I've had a hip replacement! I went for a walk after my amazing session this afternoon and I feel great! Just in time for icy sidewalks! As I was going through my hips temper tantrums, my posture was regressing, and now I'm back up straight and tall. I'll know more once I lay in bed tonight.

While doing my hour of Callanetics, I keep two words in mind:
Integrity (I got this from our discussions susanw53) and
Gentle, a word Callan uses a lot.

With these two words, I can listen to my body with every move. I can recognise when my body might do less or more than the time before and be okay with that.

Hugs to you all!!! It really is a wonderful day!
Old 12-05-2013, 05:10 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

2nd hour done for December, which brings my total to 47Hrs. I hope I can complete 50Hrs by next week.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:52 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Jigglebuster I am so excited for you. It's so interesting 'watching' everyone's body shifting around as their bones find their way back into alignment.
Marlenelet, great progress. Better times ahead. The thrill never stops.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:51 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Thanks susanw53~~! Yes it is interesting. It's so evident how each of us with our different body types and issues react to, respond to and need different things. I find it fascinating!
Old 12-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

I do the leg-up stretches using the height of the seat of a chair. And, I do the pulses from the floor of the pelvis/sit bones in the stretches, ever so gently, as well as stretching without the pulses.

One of the very dearest things to me about Callanetics is that one is in control of oneself before, during, and after, each exercise, being mindful of conscious, constructive use of the body and attention in approach, position, exertion, release, rest, etc. The counterpulls and pelvic floor engagement with attentiveness to the relatedness of the neck and spine, engaging the breath to extend the counterpulls is grand.

Callan studied Alexander Technique, which is something I studied for many years, and it is obvious to me that she applied the conscious, constructive use of the self, quite effectively in developing Callanetics.

Can you tell I love Callanetics!

Best wishes to all.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:45 PM   #29
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: shinealot
Stats: 5'7" - 216/210/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: November 2013
New to Callanetics

I'm thinking of joining your challenge, even though it will be the middle of the month before I can get the videos. Can Callanetics be done in combination with weight training? I'm thinking of alternating days, but I'm not sure what all is involved with Callanetics, so there may be too many redundant muscle movements...? Thanks!
shinealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:20 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Auntie Em, that was a beautifully poetic expression of the mindfulness of Callanetics. It doesn't surprise me to learn about your history with Alexander Technique. I can hear the influences when you speak. Thank you for that.