Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > The Exercise Board
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2013, 12:06 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jigglebuster
Stats: 168..153(2013)/?/Healthy 5'7.5" wrist: 6.25"
WOE: Organic and nothing packaged and 70% raw.
Start Date: Callanetics : Aug 18 '09 then again: Mar 15 '13
CALLANETICS CHALLENGE - November 2013

Hello all you Callan fans!

So here we are about to start another month of happy and affective pulsing!

You know what you get from this!
- Toned and lean
- Better, more youthful posture
- A sense of being capable in that body of yours
- A perky peach
- Flatter, more toned abs
- a higher libido ("whether you like it or not")
- A surprising increase in strength
- Better flexibility
- Alleviations from some aches and pains
- More energy in your everyday life
- And a chance to practice being gentle with yourself

I know there's more, but I have my first hour to do!

Happy Pulsing Peaches!!
Thighs: L:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
........R:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
Above Knee: 21.5(2009)...16.25"(Mar2013)/15.25"/15.5
(M)Calves L: 17.5(J2010)...15"(Mar2013)/14.5"/ 14.0
.........R: 17(J2010)...14.6"(Mar2013)/14.25"/14.0
Starting all over with 184 hours (8/16 this month) of Callanetics, and playing outside!
Jigglebuster is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2013, 04:20 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: myliberty
Newbee Question

Ok so I love Callanetics so I want to join the challenge. But what actually is the challenge?
myliberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:35 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myliberty View Post
Ok so I love Callanetics so I want to join the challenge. But what actually is the challenge?
Hey there!

The Challenge is what you set for yourself (a number of hours/sessions of Callanetics) for this month. The point of this thread is to give support and for those who need it accountability, so in saying that, we come back and say we've done each hour or so, ask questions, and share our insights (there's so many nuances to learn!).

So for me, I'm feeling pretty good this month (let's just say I have a challenging body), and so I am going to say I will complete 13 hours of Callaneitcs, which is 3-4 hours per week.

Last month my goal was 10, others said their goal was 20. It all about you and your body. What will your goal be?
Old 11-01-2013, 04:36 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: susanw53
Stats: 238.9/195.2/155
WOE: Just sensible control
Start Date: Callanetics, 7/98, restart 5/2013
Love the post Jigglebuster. I'm shooting for 12 sessions this month. I'm close to a breakthrough on working relaxed so I want to stay consistent.
susanw53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:26 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Susan179
Stats: Weight 155
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Nov. 1, 2013
November Challenge

I'm in for this month. Will try to do 12 this month.
Susan179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:45 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mommy_gates
Stats: 170/148.8/143 (5'6"-57 years old)
WOE: Weight Watchers
Start Date: November 2013
I'm in..i'm going for 10 sessions this month...
mommy_gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:02 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: aruba2
another question,
when doing the beginning stretches, where you lean over to the side, after about 50 my arm feels like the blood is draining & starts to go numb. what am I doing wrong...........
aruba2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:37 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CathinVan
Stats: 145/143/138
Start Date: August 2013
I am going to try for 15 sessions this month.
CathinVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:42 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Yay! So glad to see so many joining in this month!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruba2 View Post
another question,
when doing the beginning stretches, where you lean over to the side, after about 50 my arm feels like the blood is draining & starts to go numb. what am I doing wrong...........
50, eh? Not bad! I think it used to take 40 for mine to do that.
You're not doing anything wrong, your circulation just need improvement. If it's too much, stop and start again. In time, your circulation will improve until one day, you will be able to do all 100 without any numbness whatsoever. Whatever you do don't stop breathing, breathing is essential.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:57 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
another question,
Ahh aruba2, my favorite movement. I've been working on refining this one for quite some time. It sounds like you are blocking your blood flow somewhere. It happens frequently in the beginning as you are learning how to work 'relaxed and effortless'.

First off consider how you are stretching the extended side. The extension is through the core muscles, not the outside of your body. I used to think it was more of a lateral stretch but have recently begun concentrating it deeper in the core. Your arm should have a gap between it and your ear. If your arm and your ear are touching you are doing more lateral stretching than core extension. This would contribute to the problem of restricted blood flow.

Preparing for the movement I get into Callanetics alignment: feet hip-width apart and aligned to the front, weight back on my heels, knees over the ankles, lengthening up, upper thighs slightly rotated out, pelvis and ribs over the ankles, lengthened up through the counter extension through the crown of the head, scapula relaxed back, down, out to the sides.

Before I stretch up I first bend the knees slightly, gently activate the pelvic floor by squeezing the sit bones together, curl the pelvis under to line the pubis up under the pelvis, take a deep breath, exhale and stretch up to let myself fall over, relaxing into the contraction while keeping the hips right where they are and the ribs relaxed and down. My intent is to get the maximum bend while keeping the hips absolutely stable and aligned right over the ankles. Once I'm over as far as I can comfortably go I also always rotate the extended arm so the palm is facing up to give me additional stretch on the extended side. Every so often I remind myself to drive the heel of the extended side down into the floor which always results in a better stretch up and over.

While I'm pulsing the mental checklist includes
- knees relaxed
- lift further out of the hips every 10 pulses
- relax the neck
- relax the neck MORE
- let the torso soften and lift ***THIS may help relieve your blood flow concern because it frees your lungs and can release the tension you are creating as you pulse. ***
- keep breathing smoothly
- drive that heel into the floor

I get an incredible stretch from this movement so I come out super slow, first rotating the arm back over, bending the knees and reaching w-a-y out there as I swing around to the other side for a maximum counter stretch.

I get a little crazy about this movement. as Jigglebuster said you will get stronger and it will get better. I hope this helps you.

Happy pulsing.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:45 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathinVan View Post
I am going to try for 15 sessions this month.
You did amazingly well last month. thank you for the note on the last thread. I sometimes think I may be monopolizing the thread but my passion resists being reined in. It's nice to hear my long-winded posts don't bore you all.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:08 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mommy_gates
Stats: 170/148.8/143 (5'6"-57 years old)
WOE: Weight Watchers
Start Date: November 2013
Susan...your so passionate about callanetics...love it...love your explanation of the side stretch....wow i'm amazed by you,how you really get in touch with yourself and all movements...i'll know who to ask if i need an explanation about certain poses...
mommy_gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:23 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: keepfitbrit
Start Date: 16th April 2013
Hi everyone

My back is feeling pain free at the moment and so I will try some Callanetics this month starting on Monday. If all goes well I will set a goal of 8 to 10 sessions this month.
Susan - love the explanation of the side stretch. I extend up through the crown as much as I can during the pulses and it really helps.

Happy pulsing!
keepfitbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:03 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepfitbrit View Post
Hi everyone

My back is feeling pain free at the moment and so I will try some Callanetics this month starting on Monday. If all goes well I will set a goal of 8 to 10 sessions this month.
Susan - love the explanation of the side stretch. I extend up through the crown as much as I can during the pulses and it really helps.

Happy pulsing!
I'm sooooo glad to hear you're feeling better. Having been through struggles with my back this year I know how frustrating it can be. We'll be thinking of you.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:15 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanw53 View Post
[...]I sometimes think I may be monopolizing the thread but my passion resists being reined in. It's nice to hear my long-winded posts don't bore you all.
Yeah, all that babbling you do... blah, blah, blah, blah, blah!
And it's all totally worth reading.... That's a great explanation on the side stretch! I'm one who had to start out like Margaret, Callan's mother, and have made my way into the normal stretch (this year much more fast than before), so I'm going to try your approach to this and see how it improves the move for me - it flips back and forth as to whether I feel comfortable or not.

Thanks for sharing your passion!

Oh! And I figured out why I've been tight lately.... I have recently discovered the making of fermented and pickled foods, and have been eating them regularly. The result is my body going through a mild detox, with tight muscles being one of the many symptoms. Oh well, gentleness is the key.

Last edited by Jigglebuster; 11-02-2013 at 02:19 PM..
Old 11-02-2013, 06:02 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Susan179
Stats: Weight 155
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Nov. 1, 2013
one down

Just finished my first 10/10 for the month. Only 11 more to go.
Susan179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:26 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: callangirl
Stats: 255/147/135
Start Date: July 3, 2012
Plan on doing 12 sessions this month, with cardio and some light weights for my arms.

Susanw53, I think it's safe to say we all enjoy your post, they are extremely helpful.

Happy Pulsing - Everyone!
callangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:22 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mandyw
WOE: low carb
Hi Everyone,
I did Callanetics years ago by the video and book,but for some reason moved on to other things.I always enjoyed it so want to try a november challenge 10 sessions.Been reading thru alot of older posts, as the one exercise I couldn't do was the pelvic one,I always thought it was because my knees give me a fit. I also do some barre exercises and classical stretch but want to do callanetics 3 times a week to start.So just wanted to say hi
mandyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:07 AM   #19
Junior LCF Member

further question on the side stretch.

is your weight supposed to be even on both feet? 'cause mine tends to be heavy on the foot you are leaning over...
also, about the hand on the hip.
she says NOt on waist , NOT on lower hips, but in between, I can't FIND an inbetween spot
there is just too much fat hanging around to fit the hand where she wants it.

now why the heck are all these models for these videos super slim...........
Old 11-03-2013, 01:12 AM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyw View Post
Hi Everyone,
I did Callanetics years ago by the video and book,but for some reason moved on to other things.I always enjoyed it so want to try a november challenge 10 sessions.Been reading thru alot of older posts, as the one exercise I couldn't do was the pelvic one,I always thought it was because my knees give me a fit. I also do some barre exercises and classical stretch but want to do callanetics 3 times a week to start.So just wanted to say hi
yea you & me both mandy.
I bought the video & book many years ago, did a few days then bought 2 puppies & I was on potty training duty.......
& when I do that, I am IN the kitchen constantly with them. I just got wrapped up in the pupps & other 'stuff"

many years wasted.........
Old 11-03-2013, 01:53 AM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: abrandnewu
Hi All, I'm aiming for 20 this month, with my first hour down yesterday, 19 to go. That's a total of 13 hours so far. Happy pulsing everyone.
abrandnewu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:38 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
further question on the side stretch.

is your weight supposed to be even on both feet? 'cause mine tends to be heavy on the foot you are leaning over...
also, about the hand on the hip.
she says NOt on waist , NOT on lower hips, but in between, I can't FIND an inbetween spot
there is just too much fat hanging around to fit the hand where she wants it.

now why the heck are all these models for these videos super slim...........
I assure you aruba2, that I am not one of those super skinny models (there are pictures of my progress this year on page 2 of the Callanetics Before and After photos thread started by Watch Me Shrink) and I manage to do these, as you will also. In her original book Callan instructs that you place your hand on the outside of your upper leg. I rest my hand right at the top of my leg, at the hip joint but below the joint itself. I've always done it with my fingers pointing straight down the leg because I've always found it more comfortable that way and it's easier for me to keep my elbow pointed straight out to the side while I pulse. Remember how important it is that when you go over the hips and pelvis never leave their starting position, and as keepfitbrit reminded us, keep extending your core through the crown of your head (think "infinite") as you pulse.

When you go over most of your weight naturally goes to the foot you are bending over. This is why it's so important to remind yourself to drive the other heel right down into the floor. It helps redistribute the weight a bit but, as well as creating a lovely extension up the lateral side of that leg that allows you to go over further.

I understand that all this may seem intimidating and a lot to remember. Callanetics can be a bit demanding but they are asking you to approach fitness from a new perspective. The more I study anatomy and the more I understand how the human body works the more impressed I am with what Callan Pinckney developed. The system fits snugly in with current understanding of body mechanics, proper alignment and low-impact movement. On top of all that they do amazing sculptural things to your body and calm your mind. No wonder There are so many Callanadicts.

You are paying close attention to what your body is doing and this is a very good thing. The more you think about Callanetics the more effective the program becomes for you. Prepare yourself for a steady stream of "AHA!" moments. One of the beauties of Callanetics is those moments never really stop.

Happy pulsing.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:54 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigglebuster View Post
Yeah, all that babbling you do... blah, blah, blah, blah, blah!
And it's all totally worth reading.... That's a great explanation on the side stretch! I'm one who had to start out like Margaret, Callan's mother, and have made my way into the normal stretch (this year much more fast than before), so I'm going to try your approach to this and see how it improves the move for me - it flips back and forth as to whether I feel comfortable or not.

Thanks for sharing your passion!

Oh! And I figured out why I've been tight lately.... I have recently discovered the making of fermented and pickled foods, and have been eating them regularly. The result is my body going through a mild detox, with tight muscles being one of the many symptoms. Oh well, gentleness is the key.
I'd be interested in knowing how long you think it took both times to get your body straight on this movement. Just curious. Now you have me curious about the food. I'll spend some time this evening with Mr. Google. Today we're building a standing computer/iPad station. I'm passing up Callanetics until tomorrow to make this dream come true.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:22 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hi Everyone,
Hi mandyw. Maybe we can find a way to keep you excited about Callanetics. A couple suggestions on the Pelvic Rotations: Callan suggested you think of it like stirring a pot of soup with your pelvis. They don't have to be very wide circles at first. It's the control you're working for. Once you have the control to work smoothly the rotations will become bigger. Keep your core stretched up through the crown throughout the entire movement. The better you become at sensing your torso and upper body as calm and light and stretched "up" through the core the easier this movement becomes. As you gain control it is easier on the knees, but if they bother you take breaks if you need them. It's not a race, so take all the time you need. Cushioning is necessary. I'm lucky enough to have some 1/2" interlocking rubber mat tiles left over from a home improvement project that I use under my yoga mat, but before that I used a folded blanket.

Jigglebuster posted an excellent description of the Scoop recently which I assume you have already read. Good to have you here mandyw.

Happy pulsing.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:55 AM   #25
Junior LCF Member

Thks for that description for the pelvic rotations! I think I just get frustrated to easily,I'll try to think of stirring the soup later today when I workout! Oh, also will try using more cushioning!!
Have a great Sunday everyone,I've got some running around to do,ck in later( as I'll prob come up with some more questions!)
Old 11-03-2013, 09:04 PM   #26
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: starshine5
I would love to join, i've been doing callanetics on and off for the past year and it has given me great results. i am aiming for 20 sessions this month.
starshine5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:19 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thks for that description for the pelvic rotations! I think I just get frustrated to easily,I'll try to think of stirring the soup later today when I workout! Oh, also will try using more cushioning!!
Have a great Sunday everyone,I've got some running around to do,ck in later( as I'll prob come up with some more questions!)
mandyw, I can tell you there is no program that will give you the consistent results that Callanetics will. There are exciting new advancements in the program so be curious and ask. The addition of paying more attention to alignment and some restorative exercises have changed the way many of us now approach Callanetics. This is a good time to join the journey with us. How did those pelvic movements go?
Old 11-04-2013, 03:21 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starshine5 View Post
I would love to join, i've been doing callanetics on and off for the past year and it has given me great results. i am aiming for 20 sessions this month.
starshine5. It's always nice to have a fresh face in the crowd.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:55 AM   #29
Junior LCF Member

Susanw53, the pelvic rotations went alot better and was able to do much better with that mind set of stirring the pot lol. Now I need another one for the pelvic scoop my thighs feel so weak I can't scoop up when I get down. Also with the other legs and behind I hope I am doing that right as that's one of my BIG prob areas everything(lower butt/thigh) area is severely heading south! I was thinking it was age (58) and nothing could be done about it,but I'd be happy with a little improvement! Even doing barre workouts in the past has done nothing for that area! Hi to Everyone, have a great day.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:21 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Susanw53, the pelvic rotations went alot better and was able to do much better with that mind set of stirring the pot lol. Now I need another one for the pelvic scoop my thighs feel so weak I can't scoop up when I get down. Also with the other legs and behind I hope I am doing that right as that's one of my BIG prob areas everything(lower butt/thigh) area is severely heading south! I was thinking it was age (58) and nothing could be done about it,but I'd be happy with a little improvement! Even doing barre workouts in the past has done nothing for that area! Hi to Everyone, have a great day.
I can so identify with you on the Scoops. It's because they fall at the end of the routine. I always envision that my pelvis is a bowl and I'm using it to scoop rice. Not sure why the rice, but it's always been the visualization that comes to mind. I always focus on letting my behind just brush against my heels as I scoop up and as I scoop I'm letting my inner thighs bring me back up, all the while keeping stretched up through the crown. I can't emphasize enough how important that counter extension stretch through the crown is to these movements. I always do 5 reps then break before doing the last 5. While I'm breaking I slip in some rhomboid push ups or a nice cat stretch for the pelvic floor. I always do a break halfway through the rotations as well, doing the first set in one direction and the second the other way. I find that the breaks serve me well. At almost 60 and so out of shape when I started it was frightening the breaks give my heart a chance to stay calm and smoothly pumping and it also gives me a chance to think about the movement and refine the approach as I finish the set. Those breaks help me stay in my peak position as I pulse. Your body will surprise you at how quickly it strengthens. Before you know it you will be working smoothly through the entire sequence.

Take heart, there is definitely hope for your hips and behind. My husband never lets me walk past without cupping my peachy-behind-in-the-making! Which of the Behind and Hips movements is giving you the most challenge? I'll do my best to help you get a better handle on it.

Happy pulsing.