Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2013, 10:18 AM   #121
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Susan179
Stats: Weight 155
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Nov. 1, 2013
Susan 53 Glad to hear the good news about your husband. Your in my prayers.

8/12
Susan179 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2013, 05:04 PM   #122
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: susanw53
Stats: 238.9/195.2/155
WOE: Just sensible control
Start Date: Callanetics, 7/98, restart 5/2013
#7 November, #73 Total

Some sessions are just more powerful than others and this was one of those for me. There's a fine line between working at your peak and straining and I managed to skirt right along that line today. Abs were amazing! Last session my body figured out how to lift and lengthen the torso before executing a mid-back rotation and that was most obvious during the rotation portion of the wavy abs from Evo. I like to do 10 front waves followed by five rotation waves to each side then repeat again. Then I finished with 10 repetitions of a sequence that was one wave to the front then one side wave in each direction. Whew! The trick is to work with such control that you don't over exert. You want rejuvenation not fatigue. That means take a break when you start to fall out of your best position.

Today while doing abs I was super conscious of sensing the pulse as starting from right below the ribcage. That awareness helps to keep the back relaxed,which will bring you into a better curl. I had been reminded of how I used to advise students to keep their fingers, toes and face completely relaxed during abs. To keep the face relaxed I part my lips slightly and rest the tip of my tongue on the roof of my mouth. If any tension develops there it automatically reminds me to relax the face which triggers the sense to relax the fingers and toes. I like to imagine the fingers, arms and upper body as weightless, floating in space while I pulse. Some days that's easier to sense than others. Remembering all of this made even Evil Abs easier to get through. I actually smile when I'm setting up for Evil Abs. What a Callanaddict!

I'm really impressed by the consistency of everyone's work this month. As we come into the holidays allow yourself a bit of indulgence. Your fitness program will keep you moving towards the goal. Jigglebuster I'm thrilled that you're body fell back into routine so smoothly. Stronger every day girl.

Happy pulsing all.
susanw53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:19 AM   #123
Senior LCF Member

Mommy Gates Where are you? I wanted you to know that I noticed.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:40 AM   #124
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sandrahanna
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanw53 View Post
I still haven't figured out why I walked away after my initial start in the 80s. It's a scary thought that it happened at all. That's why I'm so diligent about being accountable to this thread. It keeps me honest about the commitment. It's also so amazing to share the excitement with all of you. This week is overloaded with doctor appointments and I'm trying to figure out how to fit Callanetics into all of the obligations facing me. I might have to sacrifice a session. Keeping up with the Daily Stretches though so it's not too bad. This only happens about twice a year. I'll survive.

A happy note to share: My husband has End Stage Renal Disease and is on peritoneal dialysis. Friday we were informed that his kidney function has improved (!!!) to the point that, technically, he no longer would need dialysis. It caught his Nephrologist by surprise and he wants to watch it for a couple months and revisit options after the next tests. This was something we thought impossible so we're in uncharted waters. This magic man of mine has always been a mystery to his medical team. I'll keep you posted.

Happy pulsing all.

Susan, that's wonderful news for Dale and you. The body is an amazing self healing vessel isn't it? Dale obviously has a wonderful mindset that serves him well.
Sandrahanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:42 AM   #125
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sandrahanna
Hi all,

Just checking in to say hi and Susan you're so generous and wonderful with your time, help and inspiration.

We're blessed to have you.
Sandrahanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 05:13 PM   #126
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrahanna View Post
Hi all,

Just checking in to say hi and Susan you're so generous and wonderful with your time, help and inspiration.

We're blessed to have you.
Awww guys, you make me blush. I'm thankful you all put up with my tendency to be long-winded.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:53 PM   #127
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marlenelet
5th session done yesterday, and completed the abs this morning....hopefully I get to complete the 6th session this evening.
marlenelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:03 PM   #128
Senior LCF Member

susan, may I know what's this Evil Abs that you keep mentioning about? I think I'm ready for something more challenging on the abs as I've been keeping the same 10/10 abs routine since August.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:34 PM   #129
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: yasmin
Callanetics

Hi everyone i'm new here and to Callanetics, i wanted to join the november challange and 6 hr.
yasmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:19 AM   #130
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jigglebuster
Stats: 168..153(2013)/?/Healthy 5'7.5" wrist: 6.25"
WOE: Organic and nothing packaged and 70% raw.
Start Date: Callanetics : Aug 18 '09 then again: Mar 15 '13
Wow! What an exciting session!

For the first time ever, I was able to completely relax my peach on the floor stretches! It made me think, I'm finally on my way, and one day soon, my stretches will actually look like stretches!

I have to laugh at myself, too. I actually caught myself thinking to myself, "You better hurry before your body realises what it's doing!" Ha ha! I was doing the second stomach exercises with all legs in the air.

And no more tailbone issues at all. It took two and a half weeks to feel completely put back together again. Gentle is the key.

yasmin! It's always good to see a new face!
Thighs: L:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
........R:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
Above Knee: 21.5(2009)...16.25"(Mar2013)/15.25"/15.5
(M)Calves L: 17.5(J2010)...15"(Mar2013)/14.5"/ 14.0
.........R: 17(J2010)...14.6"(Mar2013)/14.25"/14.0
Starting all over with 184 hours (8/16 this month) of Callanetics, and playing outside!
Jigglebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:30 PM   #131
Senior LCF Member

#8 November

Things are changing. I had an "Aha!" moment during the Underarm Tightener. It had been suggested that after extending the arms out to the sides to press the hands out further by letting the movement initiate in the upper arms. It wasn't until that moment that I was aware that I had been initiating the movements from my fingertips. Try it both ways and see if you can feel the difference. I got much more extension by thinking about the upper arms. It activates the deep core muscles and allowed me to get greater range of motion both in rolling the arms over and in gently bringing them to the back. I've been playing with different pulses so I kept switching between the back and forth and outward spiral pulses. Focusing on using the upper arms helped me keep the fingers more relaxed and the arms higher while pulsing. I have a tendency to thrust the ribs forward as I bring the arms to the back so I concentrate on keeping the ribs relaxed and down and hovering above the pelvis in proper alignment. Keeping all of the checkpoints in place. Stretching up through the crown as I press down through the heels. Everything relaxed and extended. Sigh.... What a lovely movement.

I'm getting better at relaxing with every session. The more relaxed the better the stretch along the counter extensions and the deeper the results. A sneak look at my waist measurement shows a 2 1/2" loss since mid-July, and I feel like I'm just now getting the hang of what I'm doing. After looking in the mirror and deciding I hadn't changed all that much my daughter hugged me and noted how I keep feeling smaller. Slow and steady does the trick.

Happy pulsing all.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:57 PM   #132
Senior LCF Member

6th and 7th session completed. My target is 8 sessions for this month.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:15 PM   #133
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlenelet View Post
susan, may I know what's this Evil Abs that you keep mentioning about? I think I'm ready for something more challenging on the abs as I've been keeping the same 10/10 abs routine since August.
I warn you marlenelet, they are addictive. When you are doing the abs with legs up save the last 10-25 pulses for Evil Abs. Pause, grab your thighs again and round up further, raising the elbows for a greater stretch. Curl your pelvis under to get rounded up and in even further. When you release the arms bring the elbows to the front so they are pointing to the thighs, the hands dangling palms down in front of your face. Hold the integrity of the position, relax completely and pulse to the center for the remainder of your count. It's amazing how this intensification feels. Work the count up slowly, letting your body guide your progress. You should be able to breath deeply and smoothly the entire time. Enjoy and please let me know how it goes.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:45 PM   #134
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cek2
Stats: 180/180/145
WOE: None
Start Date: November 2013
13/13! Thanks for the encouragement - I am excited to begin December challenge with you all. I'm not sure how often to measure myself. I think I did it too soon and was a bit discouraged. I am really trying to focus on how much my strength and flexibility have increased. Any advice on when to measure?
cek2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 05:08 AM   #135
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cek2 View Post
13/13! Thanks for the encouragement - I am excited to begin December challenge with you all. I'm not sure how often to measure myself. I think I did it too soon and was a bit discouraged. I am really trying to focus on how much my strength and flexibility have increased. Any advice on when to measure?
I tend to be very cautious about measuring. It's so easy to pull that tape tighter to get a better reading or measure in a different spot than before and it puts such unnecessary pressure on your ego. The only reason I personally measure is to help motivate fellow posters who need to see that transformation reflected in data. I make myself wait another 40 sessions before measuring again. The fact of the matter is that Callanetics is guaranteed to align, restore and sculpt your body if you will practice consistently at least twice a week. There are no exceptions to this promise. The increase in strength and flexibility are only part of the picture. This restoring, alignment and sculpting don't stop at any point. There are practitioners who still get amazed at their body's response after 26 years and longer. The excitement just keeps continuing. I find it more interesting to have to find smaller clothes every few months. That's my signal for success.

You had an amazing month. Good work on meeting your personal challenge.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:22 AM   #136
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Zula
Stats: 140/113/100
WOE: Raw vegan trying for moderate carbs
I'm still here, still reading posts So glad that everyone is doing so well. 2.5 inches is a fabulous result for a waist measurement Susan!

I'm just going to clock my 100th hour (in total) at the end of this week. I've settled into a routine of Callanetics on Mon, Wed and Fri each week and I've only missed two sessions when I had flu one week. I'm a convert for life.
Zula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 05:46 AM   #137
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zula View Post
I'm still here, still reading posts So glad that everyone is doing so well. 2.5 inches is a fabulous result for a waist measurement Susan!

I'm just going to clock my 100th hour (in total) at the end of this week. I've settled into a routine of Callanetics on Mon, Wed and Fri each week and I've only missed two sessions when I had flu one week. I'm a convert for life.
Impressive progress Zula I admire the consistency. These are exciting times to be involved with Callanetics. The progress being made in technique and presentation makes me proud to be part of the Internet community. Thank goodness for the wonders of Google. So much new to access. I've been wandering around YouTube again looking for new videos to see what the rest of the Callanetics universe is up to. For so many years this was the only real outreach to the far-flung community and it's nice to see the rest of the world learning to use the technology. Keep up the fantastic work.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:01 AM   #138
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cek2
Stats: 180/180/145
WOE: None
Start Date: November 2013
Thank you for your response susanw53. Excellent advice, as usual!
cek2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:37 PM   #139
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: callangirl
Stats: 255/145/135
Start Date: July 3, 2012
12/12 done... Met my goal this month. Hope everyone is doing great!
callangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:46 PM   #140
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I warn you marlenelet, they are addictive. When you are doing the abs with legs up save the last 10-25 pulses for Evil Abs. Pause, grab your thighs again and round up further, raising the elbows for a greater stretch. Curl your pelvis under to get rounded up and in even further. When you release the arms bring the elbows to the front so they are pointing to the thighs, the hands dangling palms down in front of your face. Hold the integrity of the position, relax completely and pulse to the center for the remainder of your count. It's amazing how this intensification feels. Work the count up slowly, letting your body guide your progress. You should be able to breath deeply and smoothly the entire time. Enjoy and please let me know how it goes.
Thanks susan, I'll try that tonight and let you know how it goes. Sounds 'evil' indeed
Old 11-27-2013, 07:34 PM   #141
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I tend to be very cautious about measuring. It's so easy to pull that tape tighter to get a better reading or measure in a different spot than before and it puts such unnecessary pressure on your ego. The only reason I personally measure is to help motivate fellow posters who need to see that transformation reflected in data. I make myself wait another 40 sessions before measuring again. The fact of the matter is that Callanetics is guaranteed to align, restore and sculpt your body if you will practice consistently at least twice a week. There are no exceptions to this promise. The increase in strength and flexibility are only part of the picture. This restoring, alignment and sculpting don't stop at any point. There are practitioners who still get amazed at their body's response after 26 years and longer. The excitement just keeps continuing. I find it more interesting to have to find smaller clothes every few months. That's my signal for success.

You had an amazing month. Good work on meeting your personal challenge.
I've given up measuring as well due to my tendency to want to pull the tape tighter and sometimes, I cheat by holding my breath. LOL! I've had my most significant progress after the first 10Hrs going by the measurements as I could fit into an old pair of jeans. Since then, I've managed to get into an older pair of jeans, but I can't zip it up yet!

Myself being petite, my drop in measurements is un-impressive. Measurement stays more or less the same within 20 - 30 sessions, but the muscle tone has changed significantly. I started out being a skinny fat person and I could easily grab a handful of fat roll from my abs.....now I'm a skinny person, not-so-fat person who could grab an-inch of fat roll. LOL! I'm happy with my progress so far......I just pray that I won't reach a plateau.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:49 PM   #142
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: aruba2
Quote:
Things are changing. I had an "Aha!" moment during the Underarm Tightener. :
which dvd is this on?
aruba2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 07:15 AM   #143
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruba2 View Post
which dvd is this on?
It wasn't on a DVD. I found it on line during a regular "Callanetics Sweep". All I can recommend is that you go looking yourself. The quote that stopped me was

"You're going to press your hands away using the tops of your arms. Now the intention of where you start this is important. "

It was almost like a jolt of electricity when I heard it. I tried thinking of the extension as beginning from the finger tips and reaching out as far as they could. Then I rested and tried again, focusing the movement as initiating in the upper arms, next to the skeleton. Voila'! The difference startled me.

I immediately began playing with the idea of "the intention of where you start this" and the implications of that concept in Callanetics where we are focusing movement in the small, core muscles. It gave a new dimension to my session and it's been foremost in my mind ever since. Yesterday I took the time to try each and every movement position and pulse thinking carefully about where I wanted movement to initiate. I can tell you it was time well spent. I'm getting increased extension and greater range of motion all around by concentrating on beginning movement from the core and working out. I find that the more I can allow the extremities to feel absolutely relaxed the deeper the muscles work. Face, fingers, toes. It all plays together. Callanetics is a very strong mind/body connection and the more thoughtful you can be as you work the more beneficial the session.

An additional bonus was the time spent getting familiar with the different pulsing actions in each position so now I am more comfortable with the rotational pulse and I can begin mixing up the pulses during each movement. That rotational pulse is amazing! It takes such focus to keep the movement smooth and graceful. I have to work super s--l--o--w!

Sorry... Got carried away. On this day I wanted to express how thankful I am to have discovered this supportive forum that finally motivated me to get back to Callanetics. You have changed my life. Thank you all.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:26 AM   #144
Senior LCF Member

Well, I got a session in yesterday. My parents are in town, so I've been staying up late and sleeping in too late to be able to get my Callanetics in (they came from a time zone 2 hours behind me). I hope to get at least another one in tomorrow.

It's not helping that they eat so differently than me and they want to eat out a lot, and have pretty much rejected my usual foods. Ha ha! I'm trying to eat as well as I can under these circumstances, but I feel continually bloated, and I'm sure I am (my jeans aren't quite as comfortable. My one hour session yesterday helped to alleviate that quite a bit though, which makes me look forward to having another hour under my belt soon.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:21 AM   #145
Senior LCF Member

Well, I made it to the end of the month with 10; not quite my goal, but I'm satisfied. My hips were so sore last night. I really think they're being totally realigned, because despite their incessant tightness, I have never felt anything like this before. I massaged my feet before doing the stretches to get my plantar fascia relaxed and that helped, but man oh man! my hips don't like the changes. I, on the other hand, am appreciating al the results once I get past these hiccups.

Anyway, I'm now 41, and I'm hoping this will be the year without any body temper tantrums.

You all did very well! I'm so proud of you! See you next month!
Old 11-30-2013, 02:49 PM   #146
Senior LCF Member

November #9, #75 Total

Not my best month in achieving my goal but I still fell beyond my 8 minimum limit for a month. Considering the sheer number of unplanned doctor visits this month I feel glad to have gotten 9 in. I'm now 75 sessions in and I feel like I'm finally catching on to how it's really meant to be done. I've been working on trying to relax just a bit more with each exhale. I'm also playing with changing up the pulsing technique during each pulsing movement. The rotational pulse is kicking my butt!

On a very high note I ordered my floor mounted ballet barre so for the first time I'm going to feel like I'm working in a studio with an instructor. Last week I figured out how to rig a temp. hanging bar to finally work on that hanging stretch that starts the book off. Man, does that feel good. I need to find a bar I can mount in a doorway to hang properly. Little by little. Oh yeah, and my winter jacket that I bought last year? Fits like it belongs to my big brother.

Jigglebuster, your progress has been so intriguing and exciting to share in. Let's see what kind of excitement we can work up to end out the year.

I'm proud of all the work you all put in being consistent. Your bodies thank you. Ready for next month?
Old 12-01-2013, 11:00 PM   #147
Senior LCF Member

8th and last session done for November. Target achieved.