Old 11-14-2013, 04:44 AM   #91
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: susanw53
Stats: 238.9/195.2/155
WOE: Just sensible control
Start Date: Callanetics, 7/98, restart 5/2013
Nov. #4, #70 Total

Wahoo! I've hit 70 sessions!

It's been so busy lately I opted for a 42-minute workout today. My muscles are working deeper and I had to take more breaks than normal but they were shorter and I can feel the stamina building. I know I'm always harping about "relaxed and effortless" but I don't see the abs work ever getting easy. I can do them with control and my breathing is deep and strong but there's no denying that they require copious amounts of energy to get through (which I choose to believe simply means I am actively shrinking fat cells while doing them ). We have an appointment tomorrow so I knew I wouldn't be able to do the extended session I typically do on Thursday. I'm thinking about trying something I've never attempted and do another session tomorrow using the same session I did today. That way I make up the session I lost somewhere along the way this month and get back on goal. Let's see if I follow through with that.

I've been doing the Feldenkrais-based Daily Stretch routine for around 2 months now and the advances are amazing. I can now feel every movement deeply and with absolute awareness. I think the greatest effect has been the way they have made me so much more mindful of all the internal sensations as I do Callanetics. Thinking on my epiphany about fat cells today made me more conscious of stretching along the counter extensions to increase blood flow to the muscles, visualizing the fat cells emptying of their energy stores and the blood carrying it all to the muscles so it could be burned off. It made me feel so much thinner when I was done. It's all mind control in the end. Mindfulness about the positioning, the muscle action required, the resultant fat burning going on and active muscle fiber building. No room there to get distracted by meal planning or domestic chores or upcoming obligations. Just total focus on the beauty of Callanetics.

Happy pulsing everyone.

"The position isolates and the pulse trains."
susanw53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2013, 01:37 PM   #92
Senior LCF Member

After 5 hours out including 2 1/2 hours on busses) for a 10 minute meeting a Callanetics session is so not going to happen today. I will be doing my Daily Stretches to take out the kinks, but now it's time to prepare dinner. I have a muscle tightened up in the right rhomboids area (the one that pestered me for months) and I've been working all day on the busses to relax and rotate that shoulder joint down, trying to stay stretched out through the crown.

Keep up the good work everyone.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:17 PM   #93
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Susan179
Stats: Weight 155
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Nov. 1, 2013
Susan 53, What are Feldenkrais stretches? Where did you learn them and are they on DVD? Do they work for you?
Susan179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:58 AM   #94
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan179 View Post
Susan 53, What are Feldenkrais stretches? Where did you learn them and are they on DVD? Do they work for you?
When I first joined this thread in June I took time to go back through past Challenge threads and mine them for information. I don't recall recommending that to you so if you haven't done so I would recommend it now. It's like searching for gold and I learned so much (and still do) just reading through the past three years of archives.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:04 AM   #95
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan179 View Post
If you google "Feldenkrais" you will find oodles of info and YouTube videos explaining his movements. This series was one we found that was developed to correlate with Callanetics. I don't believe you can find the video I learned from at this time but if you like I can do my best to describe the 15 or so that form what we refer to. They take about 25-30 minutes to do and are meant to be done gently with great thoughtfulness and yes, they do work for me. The benefits are cumulative so it's encouraged to be regular in practice. If I'm out on busses all day, which often happens keeping up with my husband's many doctors, I like to follow those trips with a run through to relieve all of the stress and I always precede my regular Callanetics session with them to get everything all relaxed and stretched out before I do a single pulse. They help get me centered and mindful which always makes the Callanetics session more effective. I found them so effective that I was compelled to purchase Moshe Feldenkrais's book "Awareness Through Movement". It's a tough read but worth every minute I invested in it. Reading his instructions helped me understand the purpose of the movements which increased my thoughtfulness even further. Let me know if you are interested.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:39 PM   #96
Junior LCF Member

5/12
Old 11-15-2013, 05:48 PM   #97
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Tulip
I used to do Callanetics faithfully. Which movement would you recommend for relieving stress in the shoulders and neck area? Also, my time for regular exercise is very limited, but I love the feel of a good yoga or callanetics workout.
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:49 PM   #98
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: callangirl
Stats: 255/144/135
Start Date: July 3, 2012
6 of 12 sessions done...
callangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:58 AM   #99
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip View Post
I used to do Callanetics faithfully. Which movement would you recommend for relieving stress in the shoulders and neck area? Also, my time for regular exercise is very limited, but I love the feel of a good yoga or callanetics workout.
Callanetics was designed to offer maximum benefits with minimal time invested, so you certainly chose the right program. As for the tension in your neck and shoulders, I always found that a slow and thoughtful run of Callanetics as a whole released most, if not all, tension in this area of my body. The neck movements should be particularly helpful here. Since every movement in the program requires you to keep the neck relaxed by the time you have finished a session you should be feeling much better.

Might I also suggest that you pay attention to the rotation of your shoulder joint. I've found that when I tense my neck and upper back my shoulders tend to rise up towards my ears. The solution to this is to rotate the shoulder joint down. If you reach your arm to the front, palms down,and rotate the arm in to the center you will feel your shoulders rise up and you can feel the resulting tension in the neck. Now rotate the joint the other way until the palms face up. You will feel your scapula shift and your spine will feel taller as you turn. The tension should fade right away. Give it a try and see if it helps. Also be attentive to maintaining a sense of staying stretched up through the crown, particularly when you turn your head. The taller you stretch the less discomfort from tightness. Good luck Tulip.

Susan
Old 11-16-2013, 12:48 PM   #100
Senior LCF Member

Nov #5, #71 Total

The knot in my upper back feels much better now. Maybe after the next session it will be completely relieved. I think it's latent tension from Rachel's kitchen fire last Saturday. When I sit I keep starting to hunch over so I consciously rotate the shoulder joints to get me upright again.

Abs were lots of fun today. I managed to do all the movements in blocks of 50 instead of my normal 25. It was surprisingly easy to do today. The abs have suddenly gotten much stronger. I was very conscious today about pulsing from right below the breasts and staying relaxed while curled up. In the interest of mixing it up I chose to try variations of movements, incorporating lots of rotational positions and ending Leg Ups with 25 Evil Abs each. Wow, what a difference. For the waving movement from Evo I did them with a wave to the front then a rotation to the side (being very careful to make the rotation from the mid back and to follow my fingers with my eyes, stretched up through the crown and core stable), then another wave to the front followed by a rotation to the other side. Do 10 of them like that and feel the difference. I had to break halfway through and for the last 5 sets I had to break briefly after each set to stay relaxed enough to continue on with control and I could feel it all the way up into my cheeks.

I almost have the plié/pelvic rotations down. My shoulders are still moving too much. Will have to work on that. On the plus side I can now do them all slowly and without a break. Good times. I am such a Callanaddict.

Steady as she goes everyone. Change is a wonderful thing. Happy pulsing.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:47 PM   #101
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cek2
Stats: 180/180/145
WOE: None
Start Date: November 2013
9/13 this month, bringing my total to 10. I am seeing and/or feeling the difference, but no one else has noticed yet. I guess 10 years wasn't enough, so I'm going to go for 20-30 years younger. Plus susanw53 has me all excited about the fun I'll have at the 20-30 mark. "The position isolates and the pulse trains" has become my mantra. I sure appreciate the warm welcome! I'm really excited to be making these changes with such a good group.
cek2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:27 PM   #102
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jigglebuster
Stats: 168..153(2013)/155/Healthy 5'7.5" wrist: 6.25"
WOE: Seasonal - Organic and nothing packaged
Start Date: Callanetics : Aug 18 '09 then again: Mar 15 '13
Fat cells... I always thought it was amazing that we develop all the fat cells we're ever going to have by the time we are 4 years old.

Fires and stress... Oh susanw53, I hope you two were able to get that all fixed up. I've helped a friend and I can say that is no fun, and is very physically demanding. Some nice deep breathing will help you, and maybe a nice tea.

So what has happened with Rachael, is she back on the Callanetics band wagon?

Shoulders... Since Callanetics saved me from a frozen shoulder a few year ago, I can tell you exactly what saved me, and that was very slow and controlled neck exercises and the lower back stretch. Those two were miraculous for me.

Wow! Good for you cek2! I had to laugh when I saw you were going for even younger than the moto's promise. Ha ha!

I am back to about 95%. The only time I feel like there's anything going on with my tailbone area is when I'm getting out of the thigh stretch position, other than that, my glutes have relaxed (not too much, just not freaking out), and I even went inline speed skating tonight with no issues. Tomorrow I'll do some parkour and listen carefully to my body, as this is the first time I'm going out since my tailbone got spat out. Anyway, am continuing my Callanetics and today's session after my skate was very focussed and steady with no extras just yet. I wasn't in a hurry, nor was I in slow-mo, just right I'd say.

Happy pulsing everyone!
Thighs: L:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
........R:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
Above Knee: 21.5(2009)...16.25"(Mar2013)/15.25"/15.5
(M)Calves L: 17.5(J2010)...15"(Mar2013)/14.25"/ 14.0
.........R: 17(J2010)...14.6"(Mar2013)/14.0"/14.0
Starting all over with 187 hours (0/? this month) of Callanetics, and playing outside!
Jigglebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:30 AM   #103
Junior LCF Member

Jigglebuster I sure appreciate that you keep your measurements in your signature because they really keep me going. I am really inspired by your success. I was thinking this morning of the first time I tried Callanetics in the late 80's. I was a young teenager, and with youth on my side, already had a decent figure so the results were not as perceptable to me. However, I remember my grandmother marveling at my "tiny waist" and my uncle commenting on how fit I looked. I dismissed them both because I do not take compliments well. I thought they were just trying to make me feel better. My grandma is gone now and I live thousands of miles from my uncle, but as I'm working towards a better shape I can "hear" my grandma compliment my progress and my uncle affirming the changes. It makes me sad and happy at the same time. I wish I'd listened to them back then, I probably would have kept up the practice. How many times will I realize I should have listened to my family?? Lol.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:25 PM   #104
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marlenelet
3rd hour done this month. That brings my total to 40Hrs.

Somewhere along 30+ hours, I'd realized that I wasn't doing the Hips&Behind correctly. I've corrected my form since and now in less than 10Hrs of corrected form, my behind is shaping up the way it should. LOL! That's how quick Callanetics works....love it!
marlenelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:31 PM   #105
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Tulip
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanw53 View Post
Callanetics was designed to offer maximum benefits with minimal time invested, so you certainly chose the right program. As for the tension in your neck and shoulders, I always found that a slow and thoughtful run of Callanetics as a whole released most, if not all, tension in this area of my body. The neck movements should be particularly helpful here. Since every movement in the program requires you to keep the neck relaxed by the time you have finished a session you should be feeling much better.

Might I also suggest that you pay attention to the rotation of your shoulder joint. I've found that when I tense my neck and upper back my shoulders tend to rise up towards my ears. The solution to this is to rotate the shoulder joint down. If you reach your arm to the front, palms down,and rotate the arm in to the center you will feel your shoulders rise up and you can feel the resulting tension in the neck. Now rotate the joint the other way until the palms face up. You will feel your scapula shift and your spine will feel taller as you turn. The tension should fade right away. Give it a try and see if it helps. Also be attentive to maintaining a sense of staying stretched up through the crown, particularly when you turn your head. The taller you stretch the less discomfort from tightness. Good luck Tulip.

Susan
Thank you! I actually tried this a few times and will strive to get back to regular callanetics.
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:29 PM   #106
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cek2 View Post
Jigglebuster I sure appreciate that you keep your measurements in your signature because they really keep me going. I am really inspired by your success. I was thinking this morning of the first time I tried Callanetics in the late 80's. I was a young teenager, and with youth on my side, already had a decent figure so the results were not as perceptable to me. However, I remember my grandmother marveling at my "tiny waist" and my uncle commenting on how fit I looked. I dismissed them both because I do not take compliments well. I thought they were just trying to make me feel better. My grandma is gone now and I live thousands of miles from my uncle, but as I'm working towards a better shape I can "hear" my grandma compliment my progress and my uncle affirming the changes. It makes me sad and happy at the same time. I wish I'd listened to them back then, I probably would have kept up the practice. How many times will I realize I should have listened to my family?? Lol.
Oh good! I'm glad it's helping.
Although, you should have seen it before. While I was losing most of my weight, I was listing the changes each month , and you cold clearly see I was losing 1"-1.5" per month! After 138 hours in 9 months, with a multitude of benefits and improvements, I'm not sure why I stopped. Callanetics is truly amazing, and I can honestly say, my quality of life is improved dramatically because of it, not just measurementwise. It's very exciting! And I'm back on track with my 80th session from this new beginning coming soon.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:19 PM   #107
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigglebuster View Post
Oh good! I'm glad it's helping.
Although, you should have seen it before. While I was losing most of my weight, I was listing the changes each month , and you cold clearly see I was losing 1"-1.5" per month! After 138 hours in 9 months, with a multitude of benefits and improvements, I'm not sure why I stopped. Callanetics is truly amazing, and I can honestly say, my quality of life is improved dramatically because of it, not just measurementwise. It's very exciting! And I'm back on track with my 80th session from this new beginning coming soon.
I still haven't figured out why I walked away after my initial start in the 80s. It's a scary thought that it happened at all. That's why I'm so diligent about being accountable to this thread. It keeps me honest about the commitment. It's also so amazing to share the excitement with all of you. This week is overloaded with doctor appointments and I'm trying to figure out how to fit Callanetics into all of the obligations facing me. I might have to sacrifice a session. Keeping up with the Daily Stretches though so it's not too bad. This only happens about twice a year. I'll survive.

A happy note to share: My husband has End Stage Renal Disease and is on peritoneal dialysis. Friday we were informed that his kidney function has improved (!!!) to the point that, technically, he no longer would need dialysis. It caught his Nephrologist by surprise and he wants to watch it for a couple months and revisit options after the next tests. This was something we thought impossible so we're in uncharted waters. This magic man of mine has always been a mystery to his medical team. I'll keep you posted.

Happy pulsing all.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:23 PM   #108
Junior LCF Member

6/12 loven the change!
Old 11-19-2013, 12:28 AM   #109
Senior LCF Member

4th hour done.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:51 AM   #110
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Javaholic
WOE: trying to cut out the junk!
Hi Everyone

Finally back after a ridiculously long hiatus.
I aim to do at least 5 sessions before the month is out. Already started doing cardio.

Happy pulsing!
Javaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:22 AM   #111
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javaholic View Post
Hi Everyone

Finally back after a ridiculously long hiatus.
I aim to do at least 5 sessions before the month is out. Already started doing cardio.

Happy pulsing!
Welcome back Javaholic! It's not as bad as the decade of absence I punished myself with. The real news is that you returned.

Happy pulsing.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:13 PM   #112
Senior LCF Member

#6 November, #72 total

I finally got a break long enough to get a full session in. I like to keep the breaks between sessions to less than 4 days to keep the effects going and so far I've managed to hold to that, although my psyche is better if I'm working every other day with one extra day off thrown in to balance out the week.

The tension in my upper back is almost completely dissipated now, just a small but aggravating twinge remains. Hopefully my next session will get it all out. I got permission from my landlord this morning to install a floor mounted ballet barre in the living room Callanetics corner so now I have to convince myself to spend that money in the same month that two granddaughters also have birthdays and we celebrate two major holidays. Rachel and Dale are adamant about me doing it so it's just a matter of me letting myself spend funds on myself. I'm fairly certain I'm going to be able to pull it off. I'm waiting for a stable grip to get back to the kneeling Hips and Behind movements and Open and Close (which requires the space that is only available in that area: small apartment)

The changes from Callanetics are continuous with consistent practice but they are so subtle that it is nearly impossible to notice them yourself. I took a head shot today to compare with the one I have as my avatar here and it was a surprise how much younger I look. I won't be taking progress pictures again until New Year's Eve, at which time I will also take measurements. I can't tell you how many times I've looked in the mirror lately and decided that, regardless of improved alignment, improved strength and looser clothes, I couldn't see any real change. Self image is so tricky. It's a good thing I'm in for life because these are dangerous points in a fitness program and often result in walking away from a productive system because I'd convince myself it wasn't worth it. Even knowing better wasn't enough to stop the madness in the past. It is so helpful to have you guys behind me.

Off to gather groceries for dinner and attend to domestic responsibilities. Keep up the good work. Happy pulsing all.

"The position isolates and the pulse trains."
Old 11-20-2013, 08:18 PM   #113
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CathinVan
Stats: 145/143/138
Start Date: August 2013
I am up to 14 sessions this month and 69 in total.

Susanw53 like you I don't see much change myself. However, I am know I am much more mobile and no longer have to visit a chiropractor or physio - being in a desk job is not good for posture. According to my husband I am not so hunched up now. That's as close as it gets to a compliment but its good enough for me.

I enjoy reading all the posts with tips on technique. For now I am sticking with the 10/10 and just trying to improve my technique. One day I might dare to watch the super DVD again but right now it might just remind me how old I've got in the last 25 years.
CathinVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:57 AM   #114
Senior LCF Member

4th hour done this month. It's been a slow month for me.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:09 AM   #115
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlenelet View Post
4th hour done this month. It's been a slow month for me.
Some months are like that marlenelet. You're still within the twice a week safe zone.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:20 AM   #116
Junior LCF Member

susanw53 I am so happy to hear the good news about your husband. How wonderful! I finished 11 of 13 sessions yesterday, and even though my clothes have been fitting better, I was beginning to get discouraged that my progress wasn't visible yet to others. My husband finally noticed! It wasn't really my appearance that impressed him, but he is now a believer. He has been praising Callanetics for a couple of days. I don't think I need to worry about lack of encouragement from him anymore. Oh, and I got CARDED when I bought alcohol yesterday. It has been many, many years since anyone has wanted my ID. Maybe I really do look years younger in a matter of hours. Happy days!!
Old 11-21-2013, 06:38 PM   #117
Junior LCF Member

7/12
Old 11-22-2013, 09:07 AM   #118
Senior LCF Member

That is good news susanw53! Hearing that diagnosis must have been a huge relief for the both of you.

I'm going through the seasonal change, blah, don't want to do anything thing. As in curling up under a duvet with a movie would be so much time better spent than anything that has to do with moving this body. But I persist, and I went outside and walked, skated, and did some parkour (still had to watch my tailbone) and have done another session of Callanetics (I have been so tight!).

Anyway, I know this is a phase and my desire to hibernate will soon be alleviated once the snow comes at the end of the month. And so again, I persist.

Bad attitude I know, and with it I too am not seeing my body clearly. It doesn't help that I went shopping for jeans yesterday and due to all this vanity sizing, I now have no idea what size I am!
Old 11-22-2013, 05:24 PM   #119
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: callangirl
Stats: 255/144/135
Start Date: July 3, 2012
9/12 done...
callangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:37 AM   #120
Senior LCF Member

One more hour!

I'm able to do everything full strength again, except the second stomach exercise, where I need to put my second leg's heel on the floor instead of straight out in the air, yet not having to bend the knee with the bottom of my foot planted on the floor, as in the less advanced positioning. I'm also having to do it in smaller blocks of pulses compared to before.

So, I'd say all is pretty good, if you ask me!

happy pulsing everyone!