Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > The Exercise Board
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2013, 09:28 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jae200
Hoping I can find some help here.

So I was on Atkins about 11 years ago and lost around 130 pounds. Unfortunately over the years I changed the way I ate and discovered craft beer and started gaining it back. I've been vegetarian for the past 5 years but now I'm back on Atkins, eating meat again, and trying to lose the weight. This is my 3rd week of strict induction and I've lost about 20 pounds. I bought a scale last wednesday and from then through sunday, I dropped 5 pounds. Now I seem to be stalled with either losing or gaining .2 pounds a day. My brother in law who runs marathons says I could have adapted to the diet or exercise and to change it up so I'm not just riding a bike everyday. I was riding 6 days a week, 30mins a day, then upped that to 45mins/about 18 miles a day but am not seeing any weight loss. I figured I would alternate days on the treadmill. bike, and skiing machine and do ab exercises. Does this sound like a good plan? I've not cheated in 3 weeks but not seeing any more weight loss has me discouraged. When I originally did Atkins I lost all the weight with NO exercise whatsoever, I figured I would lose faster now that I am exercising but it seems to not be the case. Any advice? Thanks.

Last edited by jae200; 10-24-2013 at 09:34 AM..
jae200 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2013, 10:27 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: batlou
Stats: 295/215/170
WOE: Atkins Low-Carb
Start Date: 3/06/2008
Just to clear up the first part. Exercise is great but not required for weight loss. When you are working on a plan to lose weight you should include exercise to be healthy. Your body will thank you for it. Regarding stalling in week 3, that is pretty typical and you might consider not looking at the scale daily.

The first couple of weeks of weight loss can be substantial. It's not uncommon for your body to react accordingly and try to adjust for this sudden change. Your Brother-in-law is correct that sometimes confusion can break things loose and get things moving down again. However, if you are like me I don't do well with "Off" days because "Off" days typically turn into "Off" Weekends...Months...years...etc. From your post I get the impression you are well aware of this.

My best advice would be to stick to your plan and keep moving forward. Re-evaluate in a few months. It took you 10+ years to put on the weight, it is not likely to come off in 3 weeks.

On On

LCF - Journal
The Urban Primate - My Journey to Better Health
batlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:43 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jae200
If the gym at my apartment was open on sundays, I'd be in there on sunday too. I do plan on keeping up the exercise because I do feel better after doing it. One thing I didn't mention is that I'm 40 years old now and have a heart condition. I'm a little concerned that my metabolism has slowed down since I'm not as young as before. I know I won't lose all my weight in 3 weeks. When I first did Atkins I stayed on induction about 4 months. I also think my scale needs calibrating or something as I went up 5 pounds in a single day. I know I shouldn't weigh every day, but when I saw that big drop, I got excited.

How do you feel about cheat days? Like I said I didn't cheat for 3 weeks but there are things coming up involving drinking that I'd like to go to and would like the occasional mexican food. I just don't know if doing that once in awhile is going to set me back.
jae200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:15 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kjwalsh
Stats: 205/150/140
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jae200 View Post
How do you feel about cheat days? Like I said I didn't cheat for 3 weeks but there are things coming up involving drinking that I'd like to go to and would like the occasional mexican food. I just don't know if doing that once in awhile is going to set me back.

I think we all have our "cheat days". Like for Halloween, someone brought in cupcakes to work and I had to have one! But the important thing is to enjoy it, make it last and not over-do it so you're not kicking yourself in the butt the next day!
kjwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:26 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Michelle765
Stats: 240.2/194.0/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7/19/2013
Same boat here!

I was doing regular cardio but stalled. On Labor Day I stopped cardio altogether and started lifting heavy weights. The scale went up a little but I got smaller. I am noticeably leaner now, just two months later. It's totally worth it. I do love lifting and weighted carries!!
Michelle765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:31 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kjwalsh
Stats: 205/150/140
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2013
Yes! Lifting weights adds muscle, which takes up less space than fat and also burns calories at a higher rate. Way to go!
kjwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote