Old 10-23-2013, 10:43 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RDBhan
Stats: (198) 190/155 5'10"
WOE: Protein Power; Maintenance since 8/11
Start Date: June 2002, refocus 1/2011
Anyone distance run on LC?

Hi,
I recently started running and am planning on my first 1/2 Marathon in the spring. Currently I'm up to 6 miles on my long days which is just around 1 hour. My understanding is after an hour, it's important to eat. But I think that strategy applies to carb loaders and high carb diets.

I know that Phinney et al argue that using fat as your primarily fuel source obviates all the "eat energy gel packs while running" nonsense, but I wanted to hear from someone with real world experience.

FWIW, I've been doing high intensity exercise (P90X, Insanity) for a few years on LC, but nothing as prolonged as a 1/2 marathon.
RDBhan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2013, 08:06 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: batlou
Stats: 295/215/170
WOE: Atkins Low-Carb
Start Date: 3/06/2008
It would be difficult for me to predict whether or not you would need to do some sort of race time supplementation. I can run easy pace for 2-3 hours with nothing but water. However, at race pace for anything over an hour I need to grab some simple sugars to push through to the end. Gel packs at 1 hour, 1:30 usually work about right for me.

My suggestion would be to test this out during one of your long runs and figure out what works. The gels are basically pure sugar but because they are being utilized immediately you will remain in a ketogenic state after the race is over.

Whatever you do just be sure to practice in training. Cardinal rule of racing is "Nothing new on race day". Distance, Pacing, Fluids and Fuel are what you should be practicing. Best way to do this is document your progress and on long runs make a note of how it went. Distance, location, Outside Temp, Heart Rate, PRE (Perceived Rate of Exertion), Weight Before-After (Used to calculate sweat rate) fluids and finally fuel. Perhaps not as important on a 2 hour race but as you progress into longer events you will find this information useful.

Oh yea, and have fun.

LCF - Journal
The Urban Primate - My Journey to Better Health
batlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:35 PM   #3
rlc
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rlc
Stats: 280/222/155
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 17, 2013
I have done a decent amount of half marathons the last two years but never on low carb. Really makes me question a long run or a race bc of all the gell shots that are basically sugar.What could replace those? Do i really need sugar to run to keep energy? Running mentality is so diffrent for a lot of folks, bananas, bagles, pasta ect ect. I have seen some people on raw food diets do really well running though. I would like to start running more and test this out, but im on induction and just getting the hang of this!

good luck!
rlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:14 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by batlou View Post
It would be difficult for me to predict whether or not you would need to do some sort of race time supplementation. I can run easy pace for 2-3 hours with nothing but water. However, at race pace for anything over an hour I need to grab some simple sugars to push through to the end. Gel packs at 1 hour, 1:30 usually work about right for me.

My suggestion would be to test this out during one of your long runs and figure out what works. The gels are basically pure sugar but because they are being utilized immediately you will remain in a ketogenic state after the race is over.

Whatever you do just be sure to practice in training. Cardinal rule of racing is "Nothing new on race day". Distance, Pacing, Fluids and Fuel are what you should be practicing. Best way to do this is document your progress and on long runs make a note of how it went. Distance, location, Outside Temp, Heart Rate, PRE (Perceived Rate of Exertion), Weight Before-After (Used to calculate sweat rate) fluids and finally fuel. Perhaps not as important on a 2 hour race but as you progress into longer events you will find this information useful.

Oh yea, and have fun.

Outstanding advice. Thanks very much. Exactly what I was looking for.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:26 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kempmuhlbauer
Stats: 274/274/190
WOE: Normal old atkins
Start Date: 10/21/13
5 years ago I was training for a full marathon. I weighed 274 pounds when I started training basically 90 pounds over weight. As I trained for the marathon I never carb loaded, ate only 3-5 carbs a day and ran a ton. I found that I had all the fuel I needed right on my big fat butt. I broke my ankle 60 days into the training. That morning I ran 11 miles at a slow 9 mile a minute pace and never craved any supplement or goo pack I had plenty of energy. Now after a ton of rehab on my ankle and feet i am attempting a Half marathon end of January. I started 10 days ago at 267 pounds. I plan on running the half marathon with nothing but the left over fat in my body for fuel. When I ran that 11 mile run I felt great and could have gone another 2-3 miles easily. With no carb loading ever. I did my first training run yesterday and although my feet hurt a bit it felt great to be running again. I do not for see any problems doing this 1/2 marathon on just low carb. That is my real world experience. Hope that helps

"STAY HEALTHY MY FRIENDS"

GOALS:
1. Keep on plan
2. Stay on plan
3. Work out
4. Run a 1/2 marathon on Jan. 19th!!!
kempmuhlbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:15 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

@Kemp thank you very much. Glad to see it's possible and I wish you luck in your return to running.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:16 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kempmuhlbauer
Stats: 274/274/190
WOE: Normal old atkins
Start Date: 10/21/13
Thanks
kempmuhlbauer is offline   Reply With Quote