LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2013, 10:02 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LindaM
Stats: 188/170/140 5'1
WOE: lower carb watch calories
Start Date: 01/14/2014
Looking for answers

Ok here's my story. I have an inner ear disease that damaged my balance nerves. I can walk short distances. Short distances because I am so heavy. My legs feel weak. When having a vertigo can't walk an inch so during that time can't do arthritis too. The problem is I feel like there is no energy in my muscles. I have problem probably because I don't sleep well. I have seen doctors over the years for all this. They don't tell me to much as to what I can to. They do blood work and tell me I am low in b-12 and d take those and got them to normal range. I've had my thyroid checked and its in normal range. I realize they go by normal ranges and all that might just be them not investigating it if its just barely in range. I have been told to get exercise for high cholesterol. I try but just can't feel energy. I go off and on the low carb diet but even if I am on it for a few months I still don't feel energy. Here is my question. Could callenitics work better for me than other exercises because of these problems? Is it an exercise a person can do if they have limitations. I have tried using weights and my arms are so weak can't do much even without weights. I am almost 58. I also have read stuff about protein powders that have some kind of amino acids or supplements in them. They say they help the muscle recover from exercise. I was told its mainly for people who do major work outs. I just wonder if maybe something like that is missing in my muscles even though I don't work out. I really want to lose weight to the point where walking won't be so difficult. I will lose weight doing just low carb but always gain it back because I have to eat low carb and count calories because I am just sitting. I hope I am not making people mad. Like I am not trying. It might be nothings going to help. I had this weakness before I gained so much weight for 20 years. Might not be an answer for this. I can't eat coconut oil at all get very sick from it. I've read so much about how people use it low carb but not something I can do. If anyone has experienced this kind of situation would be interested knowing what they did. I at this moment am 5'1 and weigh 180 need to lose at least 50 pounds. But until I get this exercise thing worked out I just don't thinK I will be able to lose and keep it off. Plus my body looks crummy from lack of muscle tone.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2013, 12:39 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I would look into strength training. It will help your endurance, build your muscles, increase your metabolism, and help you look smaller at higher weights, and it won't adversely affect your balance. You can start at whatever weights work for you, including something like 2 pounds. It really doesn't matter if it's a light weight if they're challenging you.

I don't know if you're comfortable going to a gym, but almost all gyms will give you a free session with a trainer to walk you through how to use the machines properly. They'll want you to buy more sessions, but you absolutely don't have to.

If you feel more comfortable at home, there are plenty of YouTube videos that will show you how to do strength training at home, and you can buy weights at any sporting goods store or department store.

The thing to remember is that strength training doesn't have to be this hard core thing. You can get a lot of benefit from scheduling 20-30 minutes two or three times per week, and you'd be surprised by how fast you'll progress.

Don't do lots of reps with light weights, though, that just "tones." You want to do fewer reps with heavy (to you) weights. That helps get your heart rate up and build muscle, which is what you want. It also means it takes a shorter time to get results. Not results like you'll be ripped, because that's not a look that women can achieve without a ton of work and almost always some supplements that you won't be taking. Just results like more endurance and losing inches.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:46 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the suggestion on what to do. I have 2 sets of small hand weights. I was afraid if I did weight training I would just build muscle under fat and look bigger. I can check out gyms not sure if I can do it yet. You've done great getting control of your weight. So incouraging.
LindaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:49 AM   #4
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Sorry to hear you're having problems, Linda. Is it BPPV?
Is there any chance you can get with a physical therapist to help overcome the medical aspect of the problem before going off on an actual workout routine?
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:09 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Dottie, It's autoimmune ear disease although I have had bouts of BPPV. People who get one ear disease are more likely to then get BPPV for some reason. I have had physical therapy for the ear problem and the epley for the BpPV in the past. I don't want to look great like some might be able to do. I know I will always be struggling. I just want to be in a more acceptable range for my height and be able to buy clothes. I can do it by diet alone but just seems like a waste because I always gain it back.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:20 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaM View Post
Thanks for the suggestion on what to do. I have 2 sets of small hand weights. I was afraid if I did weight training I would just build muscle under fat and look bigger. I can check out gyms not sure if I can do it yet. You've done great getting control of your weight. So incouraging.
That's a common fear, but it's really really hard for women to naturally get big muscles, and what weight training does is help you slim down and increase your metabolism. Cardio helps you burn fat while you're doing it, weight training helps you burn fat 24/7. And it's especially beneficial for post-menopausal women, as it is great for heart health and helps stave off osteoporosis.

Thank you so much for the compliment.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:51 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Just wondering if some of those for protein powder that help muscle recovery would help me recover easier from exercise. I get my balance from the feel of the muscle sensation through the feet to legs and to the brain. When my legs get tired like from after exercising when not use to it I loose my balance. I really would have better balance though if I was better weight and better muscle mass so its what I need. But it seems like when I exercise my muscle are staying at that non recovered feeling. Thanks for helping.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:24 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

I don't have any experience with anything effective, I wish I did (with the MS, my muscle recovery is worse than bad, so I understand). I hope someone else chimes in.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:08 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

I am sure its very difficult for you having MS and exercising. I have no idea what that's like. You have inspired me though. take care
Old 10-22-2013, 07:19 AM   #10
GME
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/199/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/LC/Gluten Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
What about something like yoga? Where I live there is even a studio that specializes in people with medical issues. We also have a gym owned by husband & wife physical therapists. Maybe you could find something like that near you.

What about swimming or water exercises? Swimming might be a little easier with balance issues than other exercises where you could fall.

I think strength training is a great idea, but it sounds like you may need a "gateway exercise" to get you started.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:37 AM   #11

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
Linda, I know you posted to the exercise board, but I think you should think about whether this is the right approach for you. MANY people lose a lot of weight without exercising. Sometimes, when you have so much weakness and exhaustion, it's just asking too much. Are you sure you can't lose weight through diet alone? best of luck, whatever you do *hug*
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:24 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jenn11
WOE: Protein Power +1 meal/day
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaM View Post
Ok here's my story. I have an inner ear disease that damaged my balance nerves. I can walk short distances. Short distances because I am so heavy. My legs feel weak. When having a vertigo can't walk an inch so during that time can't do arthritis too. The problem is I feel like there is no energy in my muscles. I have problem probably because I don't sleep well. I have seen doctors over the years for all this. They don't tell me to much as to what I can to. They do blood work and tell me I am low in b-12 and d take those and got them to normal range. I've had my thyroid checked and its in normal range. I realize they go by normal ranges and all that might just be them not investigating it if its just barely in range. I have been told to get exercise for high cholesterol. I try but just can't feel energy. I go off and on the low carb diet but even if I am on it for a few months I still don't feel energy. Here is my question. Could callenitics work better for me than other exercises because of these problems? Is it an exercise a person can do if they have limitations. I have tried using weights and my arms are so weak can't do much even without weights. I am almost 58. I also have read stuff about protein powders that have some kind of amino acids or supplements in them. They say they help the muscle recover from exercise. I was told its mainly for people who do major work outs. I just wonder if maybe something like that is missing in my muscles even though I don't work out. I really want to lose weight to the point where walking won't be so difficult. I will lose weight doing just low carb but always gain it back because I have to eat low carb and count calories because I am just sitting. I hope I am not making people mad. Like I am not trying. It might be nothings going to help. I had this weakness before I gained so much weight for 20 years. Might not be an answer for this. I can't eat coconut oil at all get very sick from it. I've read so much about how people use it low carb but not something I can do. If anyone has experienced this kind of situation would be interested knowing what they did. I at this moment am 5'1 and weigh 180 need to lose at least 50 pounds. But until I get this exercise thing worked out I just don't thinK I will be able to lose and keep it off. Plus my body looks crummy from lack of muscle tone.
Hi, Linda. I just wanted to chime in and say you should definitely look for a good b complex and a vitamin D with an IU of 5,000 in gel capsule form. Those are both big energy boosters. Another thing that doesn't show up on blood work correctly is magnesium, research it and make sure you are taking the correct form of magnesium... it takes a long time to replenish it but most people are low in this.

You might be getting sick from coconut oil for 2 different reasons, very rarely people have been known to be allergic to it so that may be your problem, but more often then that it is because you have either Candida or some other form of bacterial or fungal over growth in your intestines. If its because you have some fungus overgrowth, you will need to start with a small dose of coconut oil like a teaspoon and take it 2 to 3 times a day, while at the same time making sure you eat super low carb, in particular fruits candies and baked goods. Slowly up your coconut oil intake as much as you can handle it. It may take several months to get yourself well, if u go slow. Get enough sleep, and get your vitamin levels up because you need a healthy immune system to battle this. I wish you lots of energy and good health.
Jenn11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:25 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Jenn Thanks for your thoughts on what could be happening with CO its not an allergy just feel sick when I use it. I take supplements not high strength ones. I have taken Magnesium here and there with calcium it affects my stomach. So I don't take it every day. I have no idea what kind I will check it out.

Raven I can lose weight without exercise but I always gain it back. And I usually have to count calories to lose even doing low carb. I think from not getting enough exercise. I did a little balance and strength video today and then a short walk later. I just need to find something. I don't know if it will do any good the small amount I did. The video is mainly sitting in a chair video for seniors.

GME There might be some kind of physical therapy that includes yoga or alter yoga for people with limits. I don't know never checked into it. I agree with the gateway exercise. I was thinking callentics was different and a way to go. I can't swim at all when I am in the water the sensation of the water distracts to much from the feel of the ground and makes my balance really messed up.

Thanks for all your input. I was feeling depressed yesterday and looking for some hope.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:43 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Don't knock the video you did today. It's more than you did yesterday! Baby steps. Find something you feel comfortable doing regularly, and do it. Then, when you're not feeling like it's challenging you, add something else. Like, even with chair stuff, you can hold onto a light weight for some of it, or hold your feet off the floor while you're doing the arm stuff (that'll help work your core). Little things add up.

And I'm sure you can lose weight without exercise. I've been restricted from exercise for over a year, so I've lost about 60 pounds without it, but I like to do strength training for more than weight loss. When I am able, I'll get back to it. Studies have shown that exercise doesn't add much to weight loss, but that doesn't mean it doesn't help reshape your body, and maybe help you keep it off.

Keep us posted, okay?
Old 10-22-2013, 07:53 PM   #15
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/154.2/?
WOE: lc
Linda
Have you tried any of the Leslie Sansone in home walking dvds? I have meneire's and have had gentamaicin injections in my left ear which destroyed most of my hearing in that ear and also kills off some of the balance function. I went from staggering around like a drunk to being pretty steady but not all the way normal. I know how debilitating vertigo attacks can be.
jeaniem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:33 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

I think the Walk Away the Pounds DVDs are great in general for an intro, but I didn't recommend them, because I didn't think they would work with her vertigo. You have much more direct experience, so now that you have, I'll chime in with a yes.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:40 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Jean, Then you know what I have to deal with. I have bilateral loss. I didn't have the gentamicin injections because I don't have Menieres disease. But what they did to your ear to destroy that function happen to both my ears but my body did it to its own self. I attempted years Leslie sansone walking at home long time ago, but haven't lately. If I go to the store or out of the house I use a cane. When I went on a short walk yesterday I used a 3 wheeled walker. At home I am use to the surroundings and have those things close if I need them. I usually do better if I use a video if its a sit down kind. I have Sit and Be fit and one Stronger Seniors videos. There is some areobic e but Ixercises on them but start getting dizzy and usually can't get through it. I might consider the walking one again but probably can't. My doctor wanted me to use a bycle. One of those big ones I can't remember the name. I don't have room for it. But that way I would be sitting down getting areobic exercise. I have a little bycle thing for just the arms I use sometimes. I am so interested in how thin you are in your picture. I am so glad you reponded and told me about your Menieres disease. Doctors use to think I had Menieres but don't have the hearing loss so changed thier mind. On the ENG testing it shows no function so now doctors think it was an autoimmune thing that happened. Can you tell me what you eat as a routine? Or do you have that information listed somewhere I can read. Thanks.

NTombi, You were right I have much difficulty with fast walking in place or anywhere. It's a hit and miss thing because of not knowing when or what will make the vertigo worse. One day I might be able to do something a little and the next day not so much. Your very sweet for helping me figure this out I appreciate it.

Last edited by LindaM; 10-23-2013 at 07:47 AM..
Old 10-23-2013, 12:58 PM   #18
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/154.2/?
WOE: lc
Linda
I can only imagine bilateral would be much more difficult than what I have to deal with. My ENG showed reduced function in my non-meniere's good ear and I have also developed tinnitus in the good ear. I am very fearful of my right side being effected as well at some point. I think a good diet and any strength training you can do it your best bet. Has PT offered any suggestions, they gave me exercises to do at home because I refused to go to the sessions and pay for what I could on my own at home. I eat mostly low carb but fall off the wagon quite regularly. BTW if you have your thyroid test results with the reference ranges you might want to post them in the thyroid forum and see if anyone there has an opinion on whether or not your thyroid is functioning optimally. I say that because I often hear of people complaining of vertigo due to thyroid issues and also it seems autoimmune issues go hand in hand with under-treated hypothyroidism. My sister has hashi's and started out with vertigo and an autoimmune disease that darn near killed her before the Dr's diagnosed her properly. This may not be your issue at all but might not hurt looking into. I hope you can find some answers
jeaniem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Jean, I really hope you don't lose all function on the good side. I have tinnitus in my left side more than the right. It tends to fluctuate. I don't have my latest thyroid results but some older ones I might be able to find. I am not so sure about the autoimmune diagnosis as to what caused my balance loss. I would think my hearing would be affected as that is what from what I've heard usually happens. I had a test called a VEMP by a doctor that was trying to figure out what has really happened. I tested positive for Superior canal dehisence. But then got the CAT scan and it didn't show that happening. But on a blood test for a certain antibody that can point to autoimmune inner ear disease that showed positive. My doctor that did the VEMP said its possible that the ligaments that support the vestibular system are weak and cause things to happen like vertigo. I think that is what he said I might not be remembering right. I have a high ANA in checking for some autoimmune things like Lupus 1:1280 but when they check for more things didn't come up with anything. I have perinious anemia which is considered an autoimmune thing and was told maybe the high ANA was because of that. I use to get B12 shots but now I take high B12 sublingual and its able to get me into the normal range. So that too low b12 can damage nerves. I would like to see all my blood test because sometimes they tell us we are in the normal range when it might be borderline. I use to ask for my blood test but lately I just go with what the doctor says. The rhemetologist doctor said some times people get certain clues like high ana before it completely comes to light what is going on. That we have to get real bad before something shows itself. I've gone for physical therapy 2 times. I kind of know what to do to help with that. I have a balance board I bought online. Its a round platform on a ball you get on and balance yourself plus the videos I have both have balancing exercises. Its about a 40 minute ride to the closest place for me to get vestibular therapy. I don't drive so had to have my husband take me. He use to be an over the road truck driver and was home a couple days a month. Then he had an brain aneurysm back in April and now is unemployed. He actually was found to have 2 on his enternal carotid artery. One was bleeding the other not doing anything. So he had to go into the hospital and have coils put in that artery to repair the area. He still has the other one. We are living on my social security right now while waiting for him to be approved for social security. He will be able to take early social security in Feb. I hope that when that happens I can maybe go back to physical therapy. He is able to drive local if its only for a couple hours. The aneurysm some how affected his back and legs. When he first went to the hospital with the pain in his head, back and legs they sent him home telling him he was having a migraine. He laid for 2 days in pain that was horrible. We took him back to the hospital and they did spinal and MRI and then saw what was going on. So we do have to question if the doctors are really checking everything and insist on more testing or find other doctors. Right now can't afford much in the way of co pays or gas to go far. I sometimes get to feeling depressed about all this. When we can work and feel more empowered to help our lives everything seems better. I am very grateful that my husband lived through his ordeal and all the other problems like lack of money don't seem so important. Still being over weight for some reason puts a shadow on the positive things. I don't know if its vanity or what. I just hate being over weight and when I weigh less feel happier.