Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   The Exercise Board (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/exercise-board/)
-   -   Can you gain alot of muscle on LC??? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/exercise-board/814717-can-you-gain-alot-muscle-lc.html)

spaceace 10-13-2013 06:03 AM

Can you gain alot of muscle on LC???

Almost every resource I find says that it is very difficult to gain significant muscle while on LC. To support their claims, they state that insulin is a very important anabolic hormone and just as it shuttles sugar into the cells, it also shuttles the buildling blocks of muscles (amino acids) as well. With the consistently lower insulin levels, muscle building just doesn't happen very quickly.

Now, none of these sources are from the LC camp, but they were not against LC either. It is just the "broscience" that athletes and bodybuilders perpetuate -- it may be right or wrong.

Now, are there credible Low Carb sources that agree or refute this thought? I would love to hear more.

Thanks!

julieboolie 10-14-2013 02:28 PM

Yes, it is totally possible. Do an online search for muscle building and low carb, or keto diet (as it's often referred to in the body building world). You'll find more info out there.

Michelle765 11-11-2013 02:30 PM

It's working for me.....

I started lifting heavy a couple of months ago and have added quite a bit of muscle. I wish I knew HOW much but I've made a lot of strength gains and can tell I'm getting bigger and better defined. Lift heavy and eat protein and fats when you get hungry. My body started hollering for protein the next day.

CatieTN 11-22-2013 12:48 PM

Yes, you absolutely can. I've added in a very small amount of oatmeal in the mornings a couple times a week, and a yam/black beans occasionally. But other than that I am eating under 25 carbs a day. In just 30 days I've added 10 pounds of muscle and lost 20 lbs of fat.

84k 12-06-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CatieTN (Post 16693146)
In just 30 days I've added 10 pounds of muscle and lost 20 lbs of fat.

for a woman, pretty much nigh-on impossible, sorry, 10lbs of muscle in a month is serious,serious work.

to answer OP - check out Ben Greenfield, he's a nutritionist/fitness guy, more specifically his brother Zach as found in this article:

Can You Build Muscle On A Low Carbohydrate Diet?

:)

susanw53 01-01-2014 05:41 PM

If you're looking for a good fitness program to build muscle fiber try Callanetics. There's a Callanetics challenge that runs monthly on this site.

Amy_MN 01-06-2014 01:08 PM

I have found that I am able to gain quite a bit of strength and also some muscle while eating low carb. I can gain quite a bit more at a faster rate when I am eating carbs, however I also gain a lot of fat while eating carbs. So for me, I would much rather gain a smidgeon less muscle at a slower rate while losing body fat, then bulk up with both fat and muscle quickly while eating carbs. A low carb diet with weight training gives you a nice lean look ;)