Flatter toned abs
Long lean legs with awesome muscle definition
Lean, sculpted arms
Youthful neckline
Stronger pelvic floor
Increased flexibility
Increased strength
Restore youthful alignment and posture

Feel full of energy, vitality and empowered. There's nothing like Callanetics to safely tone and shape the body.

Callanetics is safe for everyone regardless of age and fitness level. It's particularly beneficial and safe for people with back, neck and knee issues.

Reclaim your youthful body shape by joining us for the Callanetics Challenge.

Certified Callanetics Instructors post regularly to help with any queries, modifications and intensifications.

Join this active thread of Callanetics enthusiasts for motivation and support.

Happy Pulsing!

Last edited by susanw53; 10-01-2013 at 04:13 AM..
susanw53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2013, 04:10 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: susanw53
Stats: 238.9/195.2/155
WOE: Just sensible control
Start Date: Callanetics, 7/98, restart 5/2013
I'm all in for another 13 sessions this month. Each month seems loaded with new and exciting results. I can't wait to see what October holds.

Happy pulsing all.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:20 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jigglebuster
Stats: 168..153(2013)/?/Healthy 5'7.5" wrist: 6.25"
WOE: Organic and nothing packaged and 70% raw.
Start Date: Callanetics : Aug 18 '09 then again: Mar 15 '13
I'm in!

Given the season and what I've already been experiencing this week, I'm going to have to lower my goal to 10 to be more realistic and to take some of the pressure off. If I do more, great!

I tried the "Evil Abs", but only for the last 10 of the both feet on the floor. Holy Moly! I think I'll wait until I can do the whole 100 with both feet off the floor before I add it to the second one.

Happy Pulsing Everyone!!!
Jigglebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:00 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: keepfitbrit
Start Date: 16th April 2013
Count me in for another month!
Like Jigglebuster, my aim for this month is 10 sessions because I have a week away mid October. Even so, I feel happy with my progress to date.
Susan, those "Evil Abs" sound intriguing (yet somewhat brutal). Definitely something to try as my abs get stronger.
Happy Pulsing!
keepfitbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:45 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MindyD
I joined this site just to become part of this. I love Callanetics but I need something to help me keep with the program. :P I'm going for 10 sessions. I'd like to do more, but I usually manage to do 2 per week. I still find the program difficult to do in one sitting, but I don't have a day schedule that allows me to split it up because I work so much. So. there it is. I'm excited to be part of this, and my goal is to go beyond the 10 sessions to whatever I can do.

I'm 21, and this is new for me. I've done bits here and there, but never full on like this. And still I can completely see the improvement from those sessions.

I do have a question for everyone, I love the stomach exercises. Stomach exercises in general are very difficult for me, in comparison to everything else, but I can instantly feel myself getting stronger. Despite this, I really want to pull in my stomach and I'm not seeing any improvement there. I tend to get tired and take a little break in between stomach exercises. Could this be my problem? Or do I just need to be patient? It seemed that it was okay in the instructions to do it at my own pace, but maybe they didn't mean in between stomach exercises. :P

Thank you.
MindyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:43 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindyD View Post
I joined this site just to become part of this. I love Callanetics but I need something to help me keep with the program. :P I'm going for 10 sessions. I'd like to do more, but I usually manage to do 2 per week. I still find the program difficult to do in one sitting, but I don't have a day schedule that allows me to split it up because I work so much. So. there it is. I'm excited to be part of this, and my goal is to go beyond the 10 sessions to whatever I can do.

I'm 21, and this is new for me. I've done bits here and there, but never full on like this. And still I can completely see the improvement from those sessions.

I do have a question for everyone, I love the stomach exercises. Stomach exercises in general are very difficult for me, in comparison to everything else, but I can instantly feel myself getting stronger. Despite this, I really want to pull in my stomach and I'm not seeing any improvement there. I tend to get tired and take a little break in between stomach exercises. Could this be my problem? Or do I just need to be patient? It seemed that it was okay in the instructions to do it at my own pace, but maybe they didn't mean in between stomach exercises. :P

Thank you.
It is absolutely appropriate and even encouraged to take breaks anytime you need to. If you can't do the movement without extreme shaking or falling out of form or can't breathe easily its time for a break. You won't see results as much as feel them in the very beginning. This is because Callanetics works deep first, strengthening the core muscles and working out from there. You will eventually get strong enough to do the entire series straight through but you will also notice that as you grow stronger your muscles work more intensely and you will once again find yourself needing breaks. It's about doing them right not about doing them quickly. DVDs have pause buttons.

MindyD to the joy that is Callanetics. Prepare to become addicted.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:06 PM   #7
odo
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: odo
Stats: 148
WOE: none
Start Date: 2003, 07/2013
I am in for another 10 sessions
odo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:51 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: abrandnewu
I'm in for this month and I'm going to try for 20 this month. My timetable allows it at the moment.
abrandnewu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:16 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marlenelet
Count me in for the October challenge. My target is 12Hrs this month....hopefully I can stick to 3x/week.
marlenelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:10 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CathinVan
Stats: 145/143/138
Start Date: August 2013
I am in for a target 12 sessions.

Susan - this month I shall try and be brave enough to watch my Super Callanetics DVD -although I don't suppose just watching it counts!

Good luck everyone. I enjoy following everyone's progress on here.
CathinVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:50 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MindyD
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanw53 View Post
It is absolutely appropriate and even encouraged to take breaks anytime you need to. If you can't do the movement without extreme shaking or falling out of form or can't breathe easily its time for a break. You won't see results as much as feel them in the very beginning. This is because Callanetics works deep first, strengthening the core muscles and working out from there. You will eventually get strong enough to do the entire series straight through but you will also notice that as you grow stronger your muscles work more intensely and you will once again find yourself needing breaks. It's about doing them right not about doing them quickly. DVDs have pause buttons.

MindyD to the joy that is Callanetics. Prepare to become addicted.
^_^ Thank you so much! I did my first set of the month yesterday and it's obvious that I'm getting stronger. It's nice to get how it works and what to expect. Thank you for the welcome!
MindyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:30 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: keepfitbrit
Start Date: 16th April 2013
Hi everyone.
First session of the month and (61st in total). Have signed up for the Callanetics Studio information after being inspired by Susan's post (thank you Susan).
Got to dash - kids are calling,
Happy pulsing!
keepfitbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:40 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathinVan View Post
I am in for a target 12 sessions.

Susan - this month I shall try and be brave enough to watch my Super Callanetics DVD -although I don't suppose just watching it counts!

Good luck everyone. I enjoy following everyone's progress on here.
Actually CathinVan, that's a smart approach. I remember Benjamin recalling Callan saying she'd developed Super as a way to intensify the movements in 10/10 and not necessarily as a session. If you watch the DVD with that in mind you will find yourself adapting your own routine to intensify at your own speed. Before you know it you may have subtly morphed your session into Super. On a more philosophical bent, haven't you ever wondered if thinking through a movement first might enhance the actual doing?

Happy pulsing.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:44 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepfitbrit View Post
Hi everyone.
First session of the month and (61st in total). Have signed up for the Callanetics Studio information after being inspired by Susan's post (thank you Susan).
Got to dash - kids are calling,
Happy pulsing!
You're welcome. Bear with them. The glitches will all work out.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:21 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

MindyD! Trust me, this is one thing you will never regret doing.
Quote:
Actually CathinVan, that's a smart approach. I remember Benjamin recalling Callan saying she'd developed Super as a way to intensify the movements in 10/10 and not necessarily as a session. If you watch the DVD with that in mind you will find yourself adapting your own routine to intensify at your own speed. Before you know it you may have subtly morphed your session into Super. On a more philosophical bent, haven't you ever wondered if thinking through a movement first might enhance the actual doing?

Happy pulsing.
I totally agree with every word said here. Having access to Super has allowed me to intensify things on days where I knew my body could handle it, and then tone things down back to 10/10/Evo versions when it's clear I need to be extra gentle. I've slowly integrated Super versions of movements, and added some of the Super when I'm that much more eager. I love the flexibility of Callanetics.

Last edited by Jigglebuster; 10-02-2013 at 11:22 AM..
Old 10-02-2013, 06:51 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
On a more philosophical bent, haven't you ever wondered if thinking through a movement first might enhance the actual doing?
I have read somewhere that pianists who practice mentally end up enhancing their physical practices and I'm convinced of the mind-body connection.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:27 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

1st hour done for October, total 24Hrs.

I've lost about 5% body fat in between 12Hrs and now, but gained 1KG ( ~4.5LBS ) in total weight. I guess that translates to muscle gain + fat loss.

I got a shock when looking at my full body reflection in the mirror yesterday.
My behind has shifted very high ( not quite at the pubic line, but almost ) and it looks quite rounded. Some of you might have noticed that I have issues with bloating, but my stomach has finally started to flatten. I used to have this huge layer of fat that I could just pinch off my belly, and that layer of fat has significantly shrunk. Same goes for that layer of fat on my knees. Susan, now that I'm seeing this with my own eyes, I believe that there is something magical about reaching 20Hrs. The changes were subtle at first, then it's like something wonderful just started happening around 18 Hours.

I've still got cellulites and saddlebags to deal with. They've improved and hopefully will disappear some time in the near future. I've got O-shaped legs ( not bow-legged, just underdeveloped calf muscles ), so that when I stand with my knees together, my calf muscles don't touch and well, hopefully Callanetics can develope these calf muscles as well because I look pretty weird wearing a skirt with bendy legs.

Last edited by marlenelet; 10-02-2013 at 07:36 PM..
Old 10-03-2013, 04:08 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlenelet View Post
I have read somewhere that pianists who practice mentally end up enhancing their physical practices and I'm convinced of the mind-body connection.
It's a scientifically proven fact that mental 'action' will generate the same results as physical practice in many ways. Athletes increase their advantage by mentally practicing their intended moves when they aren't physically practicing. The brain doesn't know the difference between reality and what you tell it. It will accept what you tell it as fact almost 100% of the time. I typically walk through a movement in my mind at odd times of the day, feeling my way through it as I mentally watch from the sidelines looking for some clues to improvement. This is why I read the book regularly and periodically watch a different Callanetics DVD. The greater your mind body connection the better your sessions go. The more in tune you are with your body the stronger your developing mental self image becomes, which explains why confidence grows as well. Ahh the wonders of Callanetics.

I'm excited about your changes!! It only gets better from here. : )

Last edited by susanw53; 10-03-2013 at 04:11 AM.. Reason: Add comment
Old 10-03-2013, 05:24 AM   #19
odo
Senior LCF Member

First session for October done

Silly Question: During the stomach exercises, how can you tell that it is definitely the deep stomach muscle working and not your back? Is there an exercise or movement you can do in order to feel the difference between your back working instead of deep stomach muscles working? Just being paranoid, my lower back is on the floor and I am rounding up just under the bust. I feel muscles working across the stomach (i.e left to right) but really deep down, to the point where I am wondering if it is actually back muscle working. I am thinking if it is the back, wouldn't this run up and down the back opposed to across?
  • Miles run: 4.5 miles October (goal 30 miles)
Old 10-03-2013, 07:43 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by odo View Post
First session for October done

Silly Question: During the stomach exercises, how can you tell that it is definitely the deep stomach muscle working and not your back? Is there an exercise or movement you can do in order to feel the difference between your back working instead of deep stomach muscles working? Just being paranoid, my lower back is on the floor and I am rounding up just under the bust. I feel muscles working across the stomach (i.e left to right) but really deep down, to the point where I am wondering if it is actually back muscle working. I am thinking if it is the back, wouldn't this run up and down the back opposed to across?
All questions have merit. Let me be the first to compliment you on your ability to tune into your body this effectively. When your abs are contracting the muscles of your back are relaxing to allow all that contraction to continue unimpeded. What you are feeling are the deep abdominal muscles changing shape to create a stronger and even more beautiful you. This is really exciting!! The Transverse Abdominals form a sweet girdle that covers the entire abdominal region and keeps everything in the area well placed. I'm impressed. Let's see what new thrills are ahead for you.

Keep up that happy pulsing.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:22 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Oct. Session #1 ( #58 Total)

The lovely satisfaction of a completed Callanetics session. After a couple experimental sessions it was nice to lose myself in the water and wind chimes of the Zen Garden video and just let myself indulge in another three hour session. What a luxury! I'm thinking of converting the corner of the living room into my Callanetics center so I'm no longer using the center of the room. That should be my home project of the month.

During abs today I couldn't resist trying that twist to the outside on the first one with both feet flat. That means I've incorporated it into sections of all three 10/10 abs. I try to hit the area from many directions and that twist adds a splendid effect along the obliques, and works the deep transverse abs so effectively that I always feel flatter to the floor when I break. Interestingly, when I finish the pulse with the twist I can feel a toning of the front and side of the neck on the opposite side. That was a new feel for me. Add Evil Abs on to all that and it was exquisite! How far I've come from barely being able to curl up off the floor. While finishing up with Evil Abs I was laughing about "relaxed and effortless" and then I went into Evo waving abs and executed the side twist without a hitch! Turns out I needed to keep my eyes on the fingertips as they sweep to the back. See, it's not about working hard, it's working for control and that sense of power and peace you find there.

OK, it's also about those gorgeous legs and peachy bottom. And the changes never stop coming as long as I keep practicing. With the results we're getting here there should be a Callanetics revolution about to occur. Someday they'll call us "cutting edge".

Happy pulsing all.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:57 PM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Stacey77
I'm going to start on Monday. I'm totally new to Callanetics but was totally blown away while reading reviews on Amazon and seeing before and after pictures on this forum. I'm going to do Callanetics Evolution 3 times a week and Al Sear's Pace workouts 2-3 times a week for cardio. I haven't weighed myself in a long while but I figure I probably have about 25 pounds to lose. But I think instead of keeping track of my weight I'm going to pay attention to inches lost. I'm so excited to begin!
Stacey77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:01 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: planetbenjamin
I just got back from holiday. Time to get down to my Callanetics again! Good luck this month everyone.
planetbenjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:37 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sandrahanna

Just checking in to wish you all a successful and pulsing October. Hard to believe we're at the tail end of the year

for you all
Sandrahanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:39 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

2nd session done for this month, total 25Hrs.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:45 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Today I was woken by masonery workers singing in my window as they repaired the facade. The window is to the room I normally do my Callanetics (and my work), so I decided to head out to the riverside and do my Callanetics surrounded by weeping willows. It was a slightly cooler morning but the breeze off the water was invigorating!

For some reason, however, it was more intense. I'm not sure what I did differently, but I can sure feel the difference (in a good way). One of the willow trees had a branch perfect for my bar stretches, and a birch tree was the perfect size to do my inner thigh squeeze.

When I have a moment, I'm going to check out Sandra's new videos.

It sounds like everyone is off to a great start. Good stuff everyone!
Thighs: L:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
........R:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
Above Knee: 21.5(2009)...16.25"(Mar2013)/15.25"/15.5
(M)Calves L: 17.5(J2010)...15"(Mar2013)/14.5"/ 14.0
.........R: 17(J2010)...14.6"(Mar2013)/14.25"/14.0
Starting all over with 184 hours (8/16 this month) of Callanetics, and playing outside!
Old 10-04-2013, 08:50 AM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: donesewright
Stats: 230/230/130
I'm in!

I used to do Callanetics, and I loved it. I am excited to begin again.
donesewright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:05 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donesewright View Post
I used to do Callanetics, and I loved it. I am excited to begin again.
donesewright. We always enjoy a newcomer to the thread. This time around maybe we can get you excited enough to stick with it for life.

Jigglebuster I love hearing about your sessions by the river. : ) I live along the Monongahela River in PA but, unfortunately, they haven't given us free access since the mills came down over 30 years ago so that isn't an option for me. Luckily, living on the third floor facing the river we get the lovely breezes coming upriver. Life is sweet.

Last edited by susanw53; 10-04-2013 at 12:10 PM.. Reason: Additional comment
Old 10-04-2013, 02:15 PM   #29
odo
Senior LCF Member

donesewright

Another session done