LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2013, 10:16 AM   #151
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jigglebuster
Stats: 168..153(2013)/155/Healthy 5'7.5" wrist: 6.25"
WOE: Seasonal - Organic and nothing packaged
Start Date: Callanetics : Aug 18 '09 then again: Mar 15 '13
Ha ha! Thanks susanw53!

For those of you who struggle with The Pelvic Scoop.... This is one of my faaaavourites! I love it and look forward to it, because I learnt it well and now understand just how much wonderfulness is in this one move, plus it feeeels so good to me. As I've said before, strength is my strength, not flexibility, so the strength aspect of this came easily to me, and I value the stretch in this. Maybe if I describe how I see them, this will help others who are struggling?

I start off diving, stretching my body up and forward, then I start pulling my hips down toward my toes, I hold the dive position, also maintaining my initial dive up and forward, allowing myself to be pulled by my hips, which will stretch my lower back, all the way up to the middle of my rib cage, and eventually, all the way up my entire back. This stretch is what I focus on, and it feels amazing once you get it down.

Then, once that final fullness of that stretch has been achieved and has pulled you down, allow your tailbone to go just a bit further and then curve forward; it's like scraping out a bowl you have to reach for back to front. Now, just when you get to that bottom front curved edge of the bowl, shift your mind to the front of your body and think about squeezing your knees together while you bring your pelvis forward, and up you'll magically go back into the dive.

I hope that helps some of you! It really is a wonderful exercise.
Thighs: L:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
........R:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
Above Knee: 21.5(2009)...16.25"(Mar2013)/15.25"/15.5
(M)Calves L: 17.5(J2010)...15"(Mar2013)/14.25"/ 14.0
.........R: 17(J2010)...14.6"(Mar2013)/14.0"/14.0
Starting all over with 193 hours (6/? this month) of Callanetics, and playing outside!

Last edited by Jigglebuster; 10-27-2013 at 10:23 AM..
Jigglebuster is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2013, 11:04 AM   #152
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susanw53
Stats: 238.9/195.2/155
WOE: Just sensible control
Start Date: Callanetics, 7/98, restart 5/2013
Jigglebuster that was an amazing description. Tomorrow I'll try your focus points. I can sense how it will intensify my work.
susanw53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:50 PM   #153
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: qwerky
WOE: Moderate carbs (no 'whites')
Start Date: Sep 09
Jigglebuster, I too really like pelvic scoop, and I love your analogy of scraping out the bowl. The backward dive movement becomes much smoother as strength increases too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigglebuster View Post
Ha ha! Thanks susanw53!

For those of you who struggle with The Pelvic Scoop.... This is one of my faaaavourites! I love it and look forward to it, because I learnt it well and now understand just how much wonderfulness is in this one move, plus it feeeels so good to me. As I've said before, strength is my strength, not flexibility, so the strength aspect of this came easily to me, and I value the stretch in this. Maybe if I describe how I see them, this will help others who are struggling?

I start off diving, stretching my body up and forward, then I start pulling my hips down toward my toes, I hold the dive position, also maintaining my initial dive up and forward, allowing myself to be pulled by my hips, which will stretch my lower back, all the way up to the middle of my rib cage, and eventually, all the way up my entire back. This stretch is what I focus on, and it feels amazing once you get it down.

Then, once that final fullness of that stretch has been achieved and has pulled you down, allow your tailbone to go just a bit further and then curve forward; it's like scraping out a bowl you have to reach for back to front. Now, just when you get to that bottom front curved edge of the bowl, shift your mind to the front of your body and think about squeezing your knees together while you bring your pelvis forward, and up you'll magically go back into the dive.

I hope that helps some of you! It really is a wonderful exercise.
qwerky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:36 PM   #154
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sandrahanna
Hi all, checking in to say hi and hope you're all going well with your challenge this month.

Jigglebuster - love your pelvic scoop description
Sandrahanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:31 PM   #155
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: keepfitbrit
Start Date: 9th September 2014
Hi everyone

I'm enjoying catching up on your posts and everyone is doing so well. Jigglebuster - I will try your pelvic scoop method when I'm better. It is slightly different on Evo with the arms so I will try the traditional method with the arms in the "dive" position to maintain the stretch.

I'm still nursing a poorly back which my doctor has said is a sacroiliac joint sprain. I'm doing a few different gentle stretches which have helped this week but not I'm ready to resume my callanetics yet. I'm doing a slight locust pose alternating legs and also a lying down spinal twist similar to Callan's but with both legs bent and a block between the knees. I'm hoping to improve day by day.

Happy pulsing eveyone
keepfitbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:45 PM   #156
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marlenelet
12th hour for this month, 35Hrs total. Goal achieved for this month I think I will have a go for another 1 - 2 extra sessions.
marlenelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:55 PM   #157
Senior LCF Member

susan, for the pelvic scoop intense modification, I too have to take a breather every 2 scoops, and I can only pulse 5 times. I suspect my control is not a good as yours, as I kept wobbling. So I will try the regular scoop first as described by jigglebuster.....I've mostly kept my knees apart, so we'll see how.

Jigglebuster, I'm going to exercise to the 10/10 DVD starting from now onwards. Hope it's smooth sailing. It's hard exercising while keeping watch on my 3 year-old. He likes to jump on me when I'm bent. I'm a human carpet he rolls over when I'm doing the stomach exercises. It's a miracle I'm still getting results!
Old 10-28-2013, 10:01 PM   #158
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: aruba2
question.
I am using 10 in 10.
on the hips/thigh exercises, where you are sitting with one leg bent in front of you & the other is bent back for pulses, Callen says that eventually when you are strong enough you won't even need the bar to hold on to. Ok if you don't use a bar for balance, just how do you hold yourself up? where would you put your hands? are you still leaning to the side? ( right now I am leaning against a bed)
aruba2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:13 PM   #159
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: aruba2
& another question
what is "EVO"

and has anyone used the South African callanetics?

Last edited by aruba2; 10-28-2013 at 11:19 PM..
aruba2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:12 AM   #160
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruba2 View Post
question.
I am using 10 in 10.
on the hips/thigh exercises, where you are sitting with one leg bent in front of you & the other is bent back for pulses, Callen says that eventually when you are strong enough you won't even need the bar to hold on to. Ok if you don't use a bar for balance, just how do you hold yourself up? where would you put your hands? are you still leaning to the side? ( right now I am leaning against a bed)
As you grow stronger you will notice being able to sit taller while doing the floor Hips and Behind movements. Although at first most of us are hanging on for dear life your back muscles strengthen pretty quickly and somewhere along the line you would be strong enough that you would be able to support the upright seating without needing to hold on. It's actually quite good for developing balance. When I do this my hands either rest lightly on the knee bent to the front or one hand on that knee with the other lightly placed on the floor. It requires a strong sense of being stretched out along all the counter extensions. This is simply a modification you might want to try at some point to further challenge your muscles. It can be tremendously beneficial to add little tweaks now and then to confuse your muscles a little bit and give them something new to think about.

"Callanetics Evolution" is the DVD released in 2007. It is a different approach to the program, emphasizing the Callanetics Concepts of utilizing the counter extensions, activating the pelvic floor by gently contracting the muscles between the sit bones, and introduced a deeper awareness of proper alignment while adding in some new Callanetics movements. I find it to be an invaluable addition to my Callanetics collection. Although I don't often use it as a regular routine I have incorporated much of what was presented into my personal routine, to great effect. All of the concepts presented can be effectively applied to any Callanetics practice. The next developments in Callanetics is more emphasis on alignment and body mechanics, working the muscles at an even deeper level. Exciting times!

Keep up the good work aruba2. Happy pulsing.

Keepfitbrit, keep pampering that back. You will be surprised at how quickly it responds when you return to Callanetics practice. I admire the way you keep searching for relief, but doing so safely.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:28 AM   #161
Senior LCF Member

So? How did everyone do with there pelvic scoops? It's interesting, because when I first restarted Callanetics in 2009, I didn't even hear her say anything about stretching down, my focus was on my thighs and getting that scoop down, then one day I heard Callan slip in the word 'stretch', as if it hadn't been there before, and it changed my view of the exercise completely... and it made it a lot more challenging, ha ha!

Today, my body it tighter and stiffer than it has been for a while. Perhaps this is because I'm just getting back to my regular rhythm of Callanetics? In any case, the stretches were less relaxing and more of a struggle for me, not too bad, but enough that I had to watch my breathing (I tend to hold my breath when struggling with stretches, which is counter productive, I know).

Keepfitbrit, I do hope that back of yours calms soon. There's nothing like having that one muscle in a back to throw your life's rhythm off. Keep up with the positive attitude and you'll be back in no time, I'm sure!

aruba2, I have only heard of the South African Callanetics, but have never even seen them, nevermind tried them.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:44 AM   #162
Major LCF Poster!

We had a last minute rescheduling with the nephrologist this morning, just as I was getting ready to start Callanetics. I'm working on being more flexible so let's see if I can pull this off later.

Jigglebuster I suspect we all are guilty of holding our breath. I've been training myself to use the full lung capacity while doing Callanetics, focusing on letting the entire ribcage expand, including the back. I'm looking forward to working with the scoops today.

Later.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:34 PM   #163
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: abrandnewu
I've missed a few sessions this week due to birthday celebrations but I am so glad to have tonight off to finally get a session in! After 11 hours my pants are falling down. I didn't measure but I expect 1 dress size down. Very happy with the results so far and can't wait to see what is in store for the future. Happy Pulsing every one.
abrandnewu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:00 AM   #164
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mommy_gates
Stats: 170/149.2/143 (5'6"-57 years old)
WOE: Weight Watchers/T-tapp
Start Date: November 2013
Hi Ladies....i did do some callanetics many moon ago...decided i wanted to come back to it...did 10/10 yesterday...had to take an aspirin last night before going to bed...sore..man was i sore and still is this morning...

Learning a lot from all your posting...very interesting...

Happy pulsing...
mommy_gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:28 AM   #165
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy_gates View Post
Hi Ladies....i did do some callanetics many moon ago...decided i wanted to come back to it...did 10/10 yesterday...had to take an aspirin last night before going to bed...sore..man was i sore and still is this morning...

Learning a lot from all your posting...very interesting...

Happy pulsing...
mommy_gates Callan once described it as having a toothache all over. You know from experience that it quickly gets better. I don't know how long you've been away but be prepared for your body to get more 'niggles' than you remember. It's all good though. We're glad you could join us on the journey.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:24 PM   #166
Major LCF Poster!

#9 October, #66 Total

I'm 66 sessions in, feeling incredible and so much younger than when I started. There is a womanly shape developing from the blob I had become. My passion for getting others excited about Callanetics has been stoked by keeping up with this thread. How is it possible that I have to FORCE myself to get started today??? I had put it off for two previous days so there was no way I was going down that path again so I DID start and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of the 2 1/2 hours I put in (counting the Daily Stretches which I always start my session with). Those Zen Garden videos make it so easy to stay deeply focused while I pulse. Now I feel taller, stronger, smoother and very mellow. In the end it was wanting to post another session that got me moving. Thank you all.

Working in front of my new mirrors I can see my neckline becoming more firmly established. I'm looking forward to losing the excess belly fat but it's the youthful neckline that really drives me to be consistent. Somewhere I have a picture of me in college (maybe on Facebook?) that I've been meaning to track down. I'm working for that neckline. Yeah.

I've been working lately on coming into the abs from above, curling down to the point where the lower back hits the floor then setting the curled position, releasing the arms one by one to stabilize before pulsing. Not only do I find it easier to get a stronger curl but I feel the abs working at a deeper level. It's going to force me to work the abs that will make doing the advanced abs in the original book possible again (it's been over 20 years since last attempt). In the spirit of working for muscle confusion I've been staggering them with sets curling up from the floor. Finishing up with Evil Abs (sigh!) always leaves me feeling complete. Life is good.

Jigglebuster I tried the scoops holding that dive stretch strong and WOW! That was fun. I'll stick with it and see how long it takes me to perfect it enough to add in that pulsing of the sit bones marlenelet reminded me of. I have to laugh every time I discover that I have been doing things slightly off for decades but still got results. The wonder of Callanetics.

abrandnewu it's such a thrill sharing in your joy of meeting your new body.

Happy pulsing all.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:33 PM   #167
Senior LCF Member

13th hour done for this month, total 36Hrs. I've exceeded my goal for this month, yay! Maybe I can slot in a session this evening.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:43 PM   #168
Senior LCF Member

susan, I'm still having problems keeping myself in balance and in control for the pelvic scoop. After reading Jigglebuster's description of it, my mind has a perfect idea of what to do, but my body just would not cooperate! Hopefully with practice, I can get the hang of it.

I mentioned last week that I discovered I've not been tilting my pelvic and thus, my form has not been entirely correct for Hips & Behind #1. So, I ended up working on the upper portion of my behind and my thighs with the result of a butt which is firm on top and saggy below. LOL! After correcting my form, I find that my behind is shaping up the way it should. It's been 1 week and 3 sessions and I'm amazed. I believe once we've build the base, the body responds quickly to any refinement of technique in Callanetics. I guess I'm a good example to proof that Callanetics does work even if you can't get the form 100% correct, but improvement is significant once you've refined the technique.

Last edited by marlenelet; 10-30-2013 at 07:45 PM..
Old 10-31-2013, 03:14 AM   #169
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: abrandnewu
Hi All, logging in my 12th hour for the month. I haven't reached my goal, but I knew it was a steep one (20 sessions) and I am happy to have achieved 12. I found it rather hard going today after a few days off too Susan53.
abrandnewu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:53 AM   #170
Major LCF Poster!

Consistency

I've been thinking a lot about consistency and what it takes to keep yourself and those you care for consistent in fitness practice. I've a personal on again - off again history with Callanetics yet every time I return I realize it's the best thing I could treat myself to, the best investment I've made in time and effort. Knowing that has never stopped me from quitting before. There's a sneaky complacency that sets in where you remember slouching around as relaxing and forget the wonderful sense of feeling your muscles changing but remember the 'work' of exercise. So what makes this time any different? Yesterday when I forced myself to get going after postponing it two days in a row it was because I know that at 60 I can't afford to play that denial game any longer. I also want to see the experiment through this time: What difference will doing Callanetics a minimum of twice weekly for a year make in the end? I've been working on finishing that experiment for over 25 years. There's much more to play with this time around.

The challenges of motivating my husband and daughter are another thing entirely. Problems with his legs and feet have caused Dale to avoid the Daily Stretch sequence he was doing with regularity. Unfortunately the benefits of standing taller, moving with more freedom and improved balance can fall away quickly when you're new to the approach. I can't compel him to continue, although I do remind him, gently, of the catch 22 position he finds himself in, hoping he'll take the hint. Rachel is a mystery I need to be patient with. As a fellow Callanetics enthusiast watching her enter her third week without Callanetics it's hard not to push her, but Rachel will not be pushed and I simply have to let her make her own choices. How on earth would you handle this as a certified instructor with your own studio? I have so much passion about Callanetics that I try to keep from forcing it on my family. They are very tolerant. I think my best option with both is to lead by example. There you have it - my motivation to stick with being consistent.

Thanks for letting me ramble. Let me say how proud I am of the effort you've all put in. Tomorrow starts a new challenge. We'll all be thinner this holiday season.

Happy pulsing.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:24 PM   #171
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi everyone...i'm still sore since tuesday and that is crazy,boy i must be really out of shape..it's true i haven't worked my muscles for awhile...so that's the reason why callanetic is not recomended everyday...so would you say twice or three times a week would give you good results..

So starting November ,,,would love to put in at least twice@week

SusanW...like you i need motivation...like to start something but then i put it off to the next day..let's try to motivate each other...so would you think twice a week would be plenty...

~~~GAETS~~~
Old 10-31-2013, 02:59 PM   #172
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy_gates View Post
Hi everyone...i'm still sore since tuesday and that is crazy,boy i must be really out of shape..it's true i haven't worked my muscles for awhile...so that's the reason why callanetic is not recomended everyday...so would you say twice or three times a week would give you good results..

So starting November ,,,would love to put in at least twice@week

SusanW...like you i need motivation...like to start something but then i put it off to the next day..let's try to motivate each other...so would you think twice a week would be plenty...
It's a deal. If I don't see you posting at least twice a week I'll shout out to you. You can do the same for me. When I started this time I decided to try three times a week and it's worked out nicely for me. It gives my body time it needs to recover and I find I really like every other day. Twice a week is what I usually did before and always got results. When beginning I usually recommend doing 1/4 of the initial session every day for 4 days, preceded daily by the entire warm-up sequence, but you were already started so it didn't apply for you. Another gentle session may help with the soreness. Stress on the gentle. It gets better.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:46 PM   #173
Senior LCF Member

14th hour done this month, total 37Hrs.
Surpassed my goal of 12x this month.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:43 AM   #174
Senior LCF Member

I did 8 this month. Taking into consideration my break, not bad!

As far as what the maintenance of 2x per week.... It doesn't seem to be just maintenance, I still saw improvements, albeit small ones.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:04 AM   #175
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Susanw....the first day today that i'm feeling a lot better...so back at it tomorrow...i think for now i'll do half the program...wouldn't want to through this everytime...but i never thought i would of been this sore...i want to do it tomorrow..and from there it will be on tuesdays and thrusday...

How many sessions before you see changes..i did callanetics maybe 13 years ago,had the VHS from there i attempted it again and got myself the dvd,but didn't do it for long...

I better see you this week...or else you'll hear me yelling...

Last edited by mommy_gates; 11-01-2013 at 11:09 AM..
Old 11-01-2013, 07:27 PM   #176
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CathinVan
Stats: 145/143/138
Start Date: August 2013
I've not posted much this month but enjoy reading all the helpful tips on technique from everyone. I managed 20 sessions again in October....... I know I have too much time on my hands! I am sticking with the 10 in 10 for now and just spending efforts on improving my technique rather than going on to Evo or Super yet. I am feeling stronger and have lost some inches but no weight. I am sticking with it though as the book ( and Susan) pointed out you many actually put on weight to start with.

Susan - congrats on the progress of you and your daughter. You are an inspiration to us all. Glad to hear you are feeling better and loved the description of your Callanetics corner. I live in a pretty small condo so just use my living room as you did before I think.
CathinVan is offline   Reply With Quote