Old 10-20-2013, 06:10 AM   #121
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susanw53
Stats: 238.9/195.2/155
WOE: Just sensible control
Start Date: Callanetics, 7/98, restart 5/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by CathinVan View Post
I have managed 12 sessions so far this month 10 of them are 10/10 and 2 evolution. I have found the Evo DVD useful as I am getting more focused on technique. I also got hold of an old copy of the 10/10 book for 10 cents plus postage on Amazon which is a good read.

I am not sure whether I can keep up the pace as I am going home to the UK for a week tomorrow. I've not been back for a few years and am worried about how much I may be eating - all those foods I have missed. I shall not be stepping on the scales for a while.

So far I don't think I have lost weight but I do feel a lot fitter and my posture is less slouchy. It's definitely harder to shift the weight compared with when I started 25 years ago.
Have a wonderful time in the UK. Let yourself indulge. One week can't possibly set you back so far that Callanetics can't quickly correct it. I understand what you mean about the weight shift. According to my original Callanetics journals the shifting came more quickly and was more pronounced when I was in my 30s. I realized early on this time that it was likely going to take a bit longer to reach my ideal but I'm in for the long haul anyway and I have the time. Thankfully my schedule is more flexible now and my understanding of anatomy more advanced. Add to that the advancements in Callanetics techniques and concepts that began with Evo and I believe I'm ahead of the game in the end. Now go. Have fun.
susanw53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2013, 06:23 AM   #122
Major LCF Poster!

One last post this morning:
After being sick for the past week the food stores in the house were almost completely depleted and I decided we were going out to breakfast yesterday morning. We invited our daughter Rachel to go along (she lives in the next apartment). Rachel is now down 100 lbs and has been doing Callanetics since April with some regularity. We see each other every day. So I went down to empty the trash and when I came back around the building to meet up with Dale and Rachel there was this stunning woman at our front steps texting on her phone and for a moment I didn't recognize her as my own daughter! She told me she just recently realized that when she sees her reflection it finally matches up with who she felt like inside all the excess weight. She's been overweight since she was 14 so she has no perspective of being smaller than where she is now. It's the most fun watching HER transformation.

I'm going to spend the day building a portable barre out of PVC pipe and fittings (thank you YouTube) that will fold up for easy storage against the wall. Hopefully I can finish off my Callanetics corner today and get the mat out of the middle of our living room floor.

Happy pulsing all.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:15 AM   #123
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: keepfitbrit
Start Date: 9th September 2014
Susan - I hope your cold is feeling better now and you can start your mammoth sesssions again. Your Callanetics corner sounds wonderful and I hope your portable barre is coming along well ( it is amazing how useful YouTube is). I've been doing some EFT techniques from a YouTube channel today by Brad Yates. It is very interesting especially when applied to my current back problems.
Anyway, happy pulsing everyone!
keepfitbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:02 PM   #124
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MindyD
I really need to post on here regularly. I finished the third hour last Friday, then spread the fourth hour over this week. Just kind of forgot in the course of the week. I did however, finish my first nine mile run yesterday. I know this thread is for Callanetics, but I was too excited not to throw that in.

So first three hours down! :P I'm going to have a busy next week and a half. Hopefully I can get close to my goal.

I have a couple of questions. I'm doing the 10 for 10 Callanetics. In the book it's said that you can spread it out over a week. Has anyone noticed that they get more or less results by doing the workout at once versus over half a week or more? (I want to do it more consistently but I'm still curious.)

Also, as the 10 for 10 is the plan that I'm doing. I understand that there are new additions and improvements to the workout. Has anyone found any exercises that they have found more beneficial, or good additions that they'd like to throw my way? This is all a first for me.
MindyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:58 PM   #125
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MindyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanw53 View Post
One last post this morning:
After being sick for the past week the food stores in the house were almost completely depleted and I decided we were going out to breakfast yesterday morning. We invited our daughter Rachel to go along (she lives in the next apartment). Rachel is now down 100 lbs and has been doing Callanetics since April with some regularity. We see each other every day. So I went down to empty the trash and when I came back around the building to meet up with Dale and Rachel there was this stunning woman at our front steps texting on her phone and for a moment I didn't recognize her as my own daughter! She told me she just recently realized that when she sees her reflection it finally matches up with who she felt like inside all the excess weight. She's been overweight since she was 14 so she has no perspective of being smaller than where she is now. It's the most fun watching HER transformation.

I'm going to spend the day building a portable barre out of PVC pipe and fittings (thank you YouTube) that will fold up for easy storage against the wall. Hopefully I can finish off my Callanetics corner today and get the mat out of the middle of our living room floor.

Happy pulsing all.
Aw! That's exactly how I felt and when I started gaining weight, so I feel for your daughter. It makes me emotional. So happy for her!

Thank you SO MUCH for the idea on the barre! It is without a doubt the most frustrating part of my workout, trying to figure out what to use for a barre. I don't have anything around the house to grab that is easy to work with. Thank you! I'm going to have to do this myself!
MindyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:35 AM   #126
Major LCF Poster!

Mindy congratulations on the successful run! We celebrate all forms of movement that our thread family achieve. Callanetics is excellent for strength, endurance, flexibility, alignment and stability - all of which benefit you in the pursuit of other forms of movement. Training for a good run requires much dedication and being able to do that and still continue with Callanetics is commendable.

When Callan spoke of spreading the session out she was referring either to your initial session, which she recommended breaking into four equal sessions (with full warm up sequence preceding each session) to give your body time to adjust or breaking a session up during the day to accommodate a busy schedule. The AM/PM program was developed for this purpose, and it works quite well for many people. Spreading the session out over a week or more really would do nothing more than keep your body attuned to the movements and to keep you somewhat stretched, but to achieve the benefits Callanetics are intended to you need to commit to at least two full sessions a week until your body is where you want it to be, at which point you can fall back to once a week with bonus sessions of your choosing. Most of us become so addicted to the program and the sense of control we gain from the movements that we can't imagine having to restrict ourselves to only once a week.

Yes, there are many adaptations you can make, but I would recommend you stick with 10/10 for at least the first 20 sessions. By that point you are very familiar with the system and will understand much better how to apply the modifications. There's a moment many of us have discovered somewhere between sessions 20-30 where suddenly everything clicks and you find your body responding at a different level and find yourself craving some additional challenge. At that point you might want to try Callanetics Evolution. It's a very different approach that will require a new mindset and will introduce you to new concepts developed since 10/10 was put together. It might benefit you to acquire Evo sooner to learn the concepts of engaging the pelvic floor and working with your body's counter extensions (previously known in Evo as counter pulls). As an alternative you could mine past challenge threads (they go back over three years or more before they are deleted) to follow many discussions about these concepts and more. Engaging the pelvic floor by gently pulling the sit bones together and stretching out through the counter extensions can be applied now for great effect with any movements, so I do encourage you to learn more about those two at the very least.

The PVC barre idea worked out well. I'll be testing it out today. I modified the design to use all 1 1/2" pipe because I felt the size more comfortable for gripping than smaller diameters. I also extended the front base piece to 18" instead of 12" for stability and made the base sturdier by using crosses at the base under the vertical pieces (to give it additional feet under the uprights). The horizontal pieces are 5' long to give me the space to extend the legs out fully while doing Behind and Hips. It's not as solid as a metal or wooden barre would have been but I like the portable feature and being able to fold it flat for storage. Used properly your weight should never be on the barre anyway so It will help with balance and keep me aware of keeping my weight centered over my feet and back on my heels. I may switch out the top barre for a wooden one in the future but we shall see. The only movement I will not use it for is the arch on the barre. It's not sturdy enough for that but I prefer the kitchen sink for that since it allows me to grip and press out at a greater angle than anywhere else. The lower horizontal barre is the perfect height for the floor Behind and Hips movements and clearing the corner of the room for Callanetics finally gives me the space I need to get into those positions comfortably without the need to move any furniture out of the way. That only took me 25 years to pull off.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:52 AM   #127
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: abrandnewu
Logging in hour 10 which was my first time with Callanetics evolution. I really enjoyed doing something new. I've got more hours to go for the month than there are days, but already with 10 hours of Callanetics I feel so much fitter. My niggling back issue seems to have resolved itself, I feel taller and actually have urges to go running (and i've never been a runner!) I am so happy to have this forum for support and as a place to keep tracking progress. I hope everyone who wasn't well is feeling much better.

Keepfitbrit is know how hard it is when one is suddenly struck down with a back issue. It really does put everything into perspective. I finally resolved mine after finding an incredible osteopath and was lucky to have him to take me out of debilitating back cramps. I wish you a speedy recovery, these things to tend to resolve themselves as quickly as they come on, if it's a bit of a muscle spasm or sprain as opposed to something more serious.
abrandnewu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:01 AM   #128
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jigglebuster
Stats: 168..153(2013)/155/Healthy 5'7.5" wrist: 6.25"
WOE: Seasonal - Organic and nothing packaged
Start Date: Callanetics : Aug 18 '09 then again: Mar 15 '13
Hello Everyone!

I am back and ready to go! It was amazing what giving myself permission to not do something, even if I enjoy it, can do. The permission allowed me to take the needed brake and took away the guilt and fear of losing my gains, and because of this I'm ready to go, I don't have that dissapointment in myself making me think since I've alredy ruined it, I might as well not even try thing that can happen. So! I will do a gentle hour of 10/10, no Super moves, no extras, just a simple, peaceful re-entry.

Keepfitbrit, I think it's clear I know what being out of commission is like, so give yourself that permission. It's better that you heal than hurt yourself even more physically, or even emotionally (beating ourselves up). Anyway, I do have one suggestion for you: Breathe into the area and let it expand using nice slow breaths. It's best with a good posture. Once you have that down and you can feel the muscle relaxing, go a little further and try breathing the pain out of your body and deep into the earth. That should help somewhat.

Mindy! Good for you! Callan always talked about how Callanetics helps other activities in our strength, agility, and endurance. I know I realise the benefits with my other activities. But running? I'll leave that one to you.

I think susan pretty much covered the benefits of doing a full session vs. not. Doing the exercises here and there in your day can only be beneficial, so if you find yourself doing them like many of us have, don't stop yourself! For myself, there have been times when I ran out of time and simply completed the rest of my hour here and there as the day goes by, but I never spread it out over the week - that's me though.

As for the adaptations, yeah, make sure your body knows 10/10 well before anything else. 10/10 is the basis for everything else you'll be finding regarding Callanetics, so it's just smart to get it down.

susan, I'm glad you're feeling better. I'm so jealous of your bar!!!!
Oh! And congrats on your weight loss. That's fantastic!

abrandnewu, I'm glad the niggling has dissipated, that's great! I wanted to add too about Cardio... the second half is actually a shortened Evo session, so you can choose to do both or just one of either.

And to the new Susan! I can't see all the numbers that come after your name at the moment, so you'll have to differentiate who you are.
Thighs: L:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
........R:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
Above Knee: 21.5(2009)...16.25"(Mar2013)/15.25"/15.25
(M)Calves L: 17.5(J2010)...15"(Mar2013)/14.25"/ 14.0
.........R: 17(J2010)...14.6"(Mar2013)/14.0"/14.0
Starting all over with 198 hours (1/? this month) of Callanetics, and playing outside!

Last edited by Jigglebuster; 10-21-2013 at 09:05 AM..
Jigglebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:25 AM   #129
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: keepfitbrit
Start Date: 9th September 2014
Hi everyone
Thank you for your support abrandnewu, Jigglebuster, and Susan.
My back is gradually getting better and I will try the breathing method you suggested Jigglebuster. It is strange because while browsing online for solutions for my back I came across Yoga Nidra. I'm going to look into this more but I think it will help not only with my back but my Callanetics practice also.
Happy pulsing everyone.
keepfitbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:36 PM   #130
Junior LCF Member

I just went back to page 4 and realised you had posted Susan53 regarding my niggles. Thank you for your encouragement. With Callanetics I've finally found an exercise routine I actually enjoy so I won't be stopping anytime soon. And the tight, toned and lean feeling I get, I've never had it with any other exercise method. It really is addictive to feel so lean in one's body, even if the outer layers don't match up yet. I do believe I have lost a fair few inches already.

Last edited by abrandnewu; 10-21-2013 at 06:47 PM..
Old 10-21-2013, 09:08 PM   #131
Major LCF Poster!

Oct. #6, #63 total

It is SO GOOD TO BE BACK !!!kicking:

All my years of experience never prepares me for how wonderfully centered that first session after a break feels. It's almost like your body is so thrilled to get back to it that it allows itself to work on a deeper level. Like Jigglebuster I gave myself permission to take additional time off so I would be completely healed and rested, but there's always some angst when you start and you unconsciously expect to be too tight and stiff to get any real benefit, so it was really good to kiss my knees after the floor stretches.

I had considered using the 42 min. video but opted instead for an extended 2 1/2 hour run (plus the Daily Stretch sequence, of course) of my favorite movements that I missed so much this past week. My favorite movement is the Waist Stretch Warm Up and learning how to imagine that extra drive down through the heel and the resulting stretch always makes me want to sing in joy. Life is sweet.

Having a designated space (at long last) made it easier and strange at once. It will take a few times to adapt to the new orientation. Today I'm buying and mounting some lightweight mirrors on the wall and I'm still working out decor and lighting for this corner. The barre worked well. It isn't sturdy enough for the Heel On The Barre or Arch On The Barre but I prefer the kitchen sink for them anyway, although it was nice to do the Heel one at a greater height so maybe I'll just work on learning to do that one on the homemade barre. I think what I like most about this $30 creation is how I simply swivel the base and it takes a mere 3" against the wall for storage.

Jigglebuster I found your advice to Keepfitbrit inspirational. I'm so proud to count myself among this community of caring people. Keepfitbrit Jigglebuster speaks truth about giving yourself the time. My post about returning after a break was partly to reassure you that your body will surprise you when you start pulsing again.

Keep up the good work everyone. Happy pulsing.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:48 AM   #132
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Spinster_Sister
Stats: 254/218/130
WOE: Atkins-ish
Start Date: 10/21/2013
Can you tell me where or what tapes I can pick up to start Callanetics? I am intrigued and would love to open my fitness activities! What is the routine, how do you track and is there a specific nutritional plan or supplements advised?
Spinster_Sister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:04 PM   #133
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinster_Sister View Post
Can you tell me where or what tapes I can pick up to start Callanetics? I am intrigued and would love to open my fitness activities! What is the routine, how do you track and is there a specific nutritional plan or supplements advised?
Spinster_SisterThe entire extended Callanetics world is based on what we refer to as 10/10, "Callanetics, 10 Years Younger in 10 Hours" which is available in DVD and in the book that started the process. Once you are familiar with 10/10 (usually somewhere between 10-20 sessions) I would recommend a copy of "Callanetics Evolution" which made a great step forward in technique and has a different approach to 10/10. Many of us tend to begin modifying 10/10 movements with Evolution adaptations. There are new changes going on now involving more attention to body mechanics and alignment that you will find us discussing on this thread and there is so much to be learned in past challenge threads here at LCF that it is worth your time to look through them. There are no recommended nutritional plans or supplements but you would be well advised to include adequate protein in your eating plan (you will be building muscle fiber) and be sure to be well hydrated. If you are looking to lose weight as well whatever works for you. Callanetics will make every pound you lose look like two. We'll be here to answer any questions you may have. Enjoy the journey.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:31 PM   #134
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Spinster_Sister
Stats: 254/218/130
WOE: Atkins-ish
Start Date: 10/21/2013
Thank you for the information! I found a hard copy of 10 in 10 on Craigslist and will pick it up this weekend. I am looking forward to building a more feminine physique instead of a blocky (er) one. I am really excited to have every pound I lose look like two!! Hope to join everyone on this journey to beautiful, radiant health!
Spinster_Sister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:01 PM   #135
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marlenelet
9th and 10th hour done this month, total 33Hrs.

I'm still doing the 10/10 and have recently realized that my form has not been correct for some of the exercises. Some questions I have :

(1) For the hips & behind exercise #1, I have been doing it without tilting the pelvic and I have noticed that I feel the muscles pulsing mostly on the back of my thighs. As a result, I have a pretty high behind ( from the top ) but the bottom part is kind of jiggly because I have not been working the muscles there.

I've been viewing the DVD over and over again, and *I think* I finally figured out how to tilt my pelvic ( looks like dog peeing? LOL ). So as a result, I feel the contractions mostly on my behind, not so much on the back of thighs.

Is this where we're supposed to feel the muscles contract the most? On the behind, not so much on the back of thighs.

(2) For hips & behind exercise #2, is it supposed to work more on the back of thighs, instead of the behind? Because I feel the contraction most on the back of my thighs.

(3) Are the pelvic rotations and pelvic scoop supposed to work on the inner thighs?

I think Callan mentioned in the video to pull up with the inner thighs on the pelvic scoop, but I find that my thigh muscles are working the hardest even when I try to tilt the pelvic.
marlenelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:12 PM   #136
Senior LCF Member

On the pelvic scoop, I found this from a forumer from somewhere else, copied and paste from LCF. Anyone tried this modification before?

I'm not sure what DVD you're using. However, when you do the pelvic scoops (both are on 10/10 and Evolution) try to add some pelvic floor pulses.

So, when you've curled up from the base of the behind, before scooping back up hold the position; tighten your pelvic floor muscles as deep as you can, stay stretched up through crown and pulse deeper and deeper into the pelvic floor up to 10 times. Scoop back up to start position and repeat.

We tighten the pelvic floor by squeezing the muscles between the sit bones - this draws the sit bones closer together. YOu will feel the base of the behind gently tighten.

Keep the upper part of your behind relaxed along with the lower back (very important).
And don't collapse down in to the pelvis - the more you stretch up the deeper you will the muscles toning in the inner thighs as well as the whole thigh area.

So, by adding more pelvic floor pulses you will be working deeper in the inner thighs and in no time you will start to see a space at the top of the inside leg.

I hopes this makes sense for you if not - tell me and I'll try to explain it differently.

Please make sure that when you do this you are not contracting or tightening the lower back muscles. As with every exercise, if you feel this in your lower back - STOP!
Old 10-23-2013, 09:01 PM   #137
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Susan179
Stats: Weight 155
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Nov. 1, 2013
Logged in 4 hours this month so far. Started late. I can do most of the exercises in the 10 in 10 but still have to take a lot of breathers with the abdominal exercises. Feel tighter but no major size change yet.
Susan179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:42 AM   #138
Major LCF Poster!

Marlenelet, I am so proud of you. 33 hours in and an epiphany to boot! I had to laugh at your illustration, but yes, dogs do indeed curl their pelvis under to pee. It's good that you have figured out how to curl the pelvis under. Combine that with squeezing the sit bones together to activate the muscles of the pelvic floor and when you pulse during the hips and behind movements you are reaching the deep muscles of the hips and behind. The deeper you can activate the pelvic floor and the more you can curl the pelvis the deeper the work and the more dramatic your results will be. I got down on the floor last night after reading your post to see where I felt the muscles working and I do feel them in the back of the legs as well. The more I stretch out along the counter extensions and stay tall the less the legs contribute and the more it works the deep muscles I'm aiming for. As you grow stronger and your technique continues to evolve you will find it concentrates the work more effectively. In the meantime your body awareness is awesome and one of the wonders of Callanetics is the way it keeps pulling your body in and up even as you are still learning.

I do pelvic rotations in figure eights so I use every muscle in my upper legs. Doing regular rotations hits each and every thigh muscle. Scoops are meant to concentrate most of the work on the inner thighs and as you get stronger you will notice how hard your inner thighs have been working. Next time focus your attention on the inner thighs and see if you notice a difference.

Keep up the good work and happy pulsing.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:00 AM   #139
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan179 View Post
Logged in 4 hours this month so far. Started late. I can do most of the exercises in the 10 in 10 but still have to take a lot of breathers with the abdominal exercises. Feel tighter but no major size change yet.
Good work Susan179. Take all the breaks you need. As you continue you'll quickly grow stronger. As a matter of course I still break my abs up into blocks of 25. I'm more interested in working at my best position than in getting it done quickly. Callanetics is all about working with control and striving to be able to exert that control while keeping the rest of the body perfectly calm. "Relaxed and effortless" is my mantra. Yes, I laugh during abs when I think that. Be aware that the changes will be so subtle (but also incredibly consistent) that you likely will not notice them visually. What you will notice is your clothes fitting differently, your sense that you are 'taller', a stronger sense of being in balance and possibly an improved sense of humor leading to the ability to laugh more at life's attempts to disrupt your peace of mind. Then one day someone you haven't seen in a few months will ask you how much weight you have lost. Keep it up. You won't regret the choice.

Happy pulsing
Old 10-24-2013, 08:15 PM   #140
Senior LCF Member

11th hour logged for this month, so my total is 34Hrs. On track to hit my goal of 12Hrs this months, yay!
Old 10-24-2013, 08:23 PM   #141
Senior LCF Member

susan, as always, thank you for your insight.

I'm lucky that I have a husband who is an avid bodybuilder and he noticed that some parts of my body are not pulling in much, which got me thinking about how I've been doing the exercises. I'm still doing only the 10/10 after 3 months, but I've modified my form a little bit starting from yesterday's session and ouch, it feels almost like the first time all over again!

After I'd reached 10Hrs and memorized all the exercises in 10/10, I thought there's nothing new to learn from the same set of exercises. Boy, am I so wrong! I can't wait to discover more.....which is why I'm still holding off starting on Evo or Super for now.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:16 AM   #142
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: aruba2
have a question gang.

trying to do the callanetics, but when I try the stomach ones, where you have to round your upper body up, my front neckchin muscles start screaming at me. I can barely get off the floor, ( which I figure its because I am so out of shape) but I cannot hold any longer than a 10 count before the pain in my neck makes me rest.
is this common?
will this go away?
aruba2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:19 AM   #143
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jigglebuster
Stats: 168..153(2013)/155/Healthy 5'7.5" wrist: 6.25"
WOE: Seasonal - Organic and nothing packaged
Start Date: Callanetics : Aug 18 '09 then again: Mar 15 '13
marlenelet, it's true. I think it took me 150-200 times of watching and listening to the video to actually hear everything. If you listen to to Callan, she does stress that you really need to get your hip rolled in, otherwise it will "transfer to the thigh muscle". I'm glad you're not rushing to to using the other videos. 10/10 is the basis for all of that, and it's my opinion that if you can hear and do everything that's in 10/10, which is a lot, it will just make your experience of Super or Evo or the newer series that much more understandable from the get go, and you'll be able to benefit from them more, that is if you decide you want to do them, you don't have to. The only thing I think that Evo brings, as far as benefiting your experience in 10/10 is the couterpulls, of course it has different exercises based on 10/10, but that's not what I'm getting at here. Applying the understanding of the counterpulls to 10/10 brings it to yet another whole new level, but you don't have to do Evo to learn or understand the concept of counterpulls. For now, if you can get that hip turned in, you'll at least stop transferring to your thigh muscles.

aruba2, this may sound hard to do, but try relaxing your neck muscles. Your head should be propped up and rested in that position. It sounds like you're trying to use your neck to help you pulse, especially since you mention the front neck muscles. Try focussing on your abs and where you feel them working. And yes, it will get easier in time, just apply the other concept of Callanetics, an that's being gentle with yourself. So if you need to pause or can only do 10 pulses of an exercise, that's okay, pause and/or allow yourself to work your way up to the 50-100 pulses.

Hope that helps!
Jigglebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:16 PM   #144
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruba2 View Post
have a question gang.

trying to do the callanetics, but when I try the stomach ones, where you have to round your upper body up, my front neckchin muscles start screaming at me. I can barely get off the floor, ( which I figure its because I am so out of shape) but I cannot hold any longer than a 10 count before the pain in my neck makes me rest.
is this common?
will this go away?
aruba2. This is a common complaint with beginners. Let me see if I can help you figure it out. First off, I assure you that many of us began by not being able to curl up very much in the beginning. As you quickly become stronger it will improve. Also, take as many breaks as you need. Callanetics asks you to do only what your body can do now, keeping the firm image of the goal in your mind. It's not a race or a competition. Your body will eventually get there.

When you curl up it's the abdominal muscles contracting that do the work. If you can learn to focus that action and let the abs pull you up the back can relax and stretch to allow a better curl. There's a variation I find more effective where you inhale, curl up the head and shoulders and then grasp the thighs to lift the elbows for a better stretch. When you figure out how to let the abs do the initial work the head and shoulders come up almost effortlessly.

At this point many newcomers make the common mistake of bending the neck instead of tilting the head. If you think of how the head pivots and moves from its seat on top of the vertebrae you can see the difference between tilting the head to bring the chin to the chest and bending the neck to bring the head to the chest. Bending the neck creates unwanted tension and strain in the upper back and neck. It throws your body out of alignment and constricts the lungs. I try to think like the letter 'C' and maintain my counter extensions to keep my ribcage as open as possible so my breathing can be slow and deep. When I'm curled up all the way, as I pause to let my abs sink into the pelvis and my lower back melt to the floor, I also take a moment to stretch a bit further out the counter extension that runs through the crown of the head. This reminds me to keep my head properly aligned before I tilt my chin to the chest.

If all else fails it is perfectly acceptable to support your head by interlacing your fingers and keeping your elbows out slightly. It shouldn't be a problem for long because Callanetics will strengthen your muscles faster than you expect. Keep in mind the tendency of beginners to try too hard. The more control you gain the quieter the rest of your body can be while you gently pulse. Yes it sounds counter-intuitive but it works. If we can be of any more help we'll be here. Happy pulsing.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:23 AM   #145
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: aruba2
thank you for your replies

I checked out if I was doing something off .
but it really is my neck muscles not being able to just hold my head UP off the ground. really sucks.
so, so I guess I'll just try to hold my neck with my hand for now, I thought that maybe would throw off the technique.. so no,, huh that's an ok cheat?.

oh btw I am using the 10 in 10 video, & trying to do the pelvic tilts (?) at the end ( where you are on your knees) there does not seem any possible way to do these ( not sure if its lack of strength or what)
are these as ""easy"" as it looks on video? & if I can't ever get them, is there something I can substitute for them?

oh another question, are you NOT supposed to do these in consecutive days? (leaving a day in between?)
aruba2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:52 AM   #146
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: qwerky
WOE: Moderate carbs (no 'whites')
Start Date: Sep 09
Quote:

but it really is my neck muscles not being able to just hold my head UP off the ground. really sucks.
so, so I guess I'll just try to hold my neck with my hand for now, I thought that maybe would throw off the technique.. so no,, huh that's an ok cheat?.

oh btw I am using the 10 in 10 video, & trying to do the pelvic tilts (?) at the end ( where you are on your knees) there does not seem any possible way to do these ( not sure if its lack of strength or what)
are these as ""easy"" as it looks on video? & if I can't ever get them, is there something I can substitute for them?

oh another question, are you NOT supposed to do these in consecutive days? (leaving a day in between?)
Another thing you can try is to put a pillow behind your shoulder blades to give you some support until you get a bit stronger. This eases some of the discomfort in the neck, which I assure you will reduce very quickly, usually after the third session or so.

I suffer from an old whiplash injury and your story sounds just like mine was at first; I too could barely get my head off the floor. But I used a small rubber ball (like a child's ball), as a support and this helps a lot.

You can also raise your legs so they're at 90 deg and cross your feet at the ankles, which helps to reduce strain on the neck, or put your hands by the sides of your ears (be careful not to push your head with your hands though).

With the ab exercises in particular, it's best for beginners to leave a day in between. Or even better - set yourself a challenge. Do 5 in perfect form the first, 6 the next, and so on. Build up, and you'll get stronger. For most of us, even getting our heads up off the floor is a challenge because it's not something we've done before.

Keep persevering, and I promise you will get stronger, and your neck pain will just disappear!
qwerky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:25 AM   #147
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Thank you qwerky, I had forgotten to mention using a small ball or other bolster under the lower part of the upper back for additional support in the beginning. This is worth remembering when your muscles start working deeper and you suddenly feel like a beginner again. as you can see aruba2 there are many little tweaks that can be applied. Callanetics is wonderfully adaptable as long as you stay within the basic guidelines and keep working for control.

I have always considered Pelvic Scoops to be the most challenging in my personal routine. They fall at the end of the session, they follow the pelvic rotations and they demand such focus to be able to execute them while keeping my upper body and my lower legs as quiet as possible. In the beginning they were just hard. Now I get excited knowing they are ahead because I love a challenge and I REALLY love the sense of accomplishment and control I have when I'm finished. The secret to them is to focus the lift in the strength of your inner thighs and pelvis. It's also worth mentioning that when you tighten your behind as you scoop under you are contracting the muscles that bring your sit bones together, not squeezing the large Gluteus muscles together. Callanetics movements focus on the small muscles at the core of your body which in turn pull in the larger muscles. By gently drawing your sit bones together you activate the pelvic floor which stabilizes your core and activates your lower abdominals for more power and support. Keep yourself stretched tall through the counter extensions and the muscle action becomes more controllable. Don't worry. You'll get it.

Your question about frequency is a personal choice. Some people thrive on daily practice, some need the time off in between sessions to rest (I'm one of those people). Everyone is encouraged to take one or two days off a week to give your body time to rejuvenate and sort of reset. It's almost like your body thinks about it during the time off and then when you come back to it your muscles respond at a deeper level. Listen to your own body. It will tell you if you need a break. If you're sore give yourself time to heal and think about breathing technique while you rest. I've discovered that taking a week off every now and then is tremendously beneficial (even considering that both of my breaks were health-related forced time off. )

Callanetics movements often seem improbable in the beginning. Persevere and believe in your body's ability to catch on. Your technique will evolve and before you know it you will be moving through the program smoothly and effortlessly. Then you find yourself playing with modifications to make them more challenging. Be gentle with yourself and laugh when your body says "Really?" Before long it will be saying "Nice!" and you will be as addicted to these gentle and demanding pulses as we all are.

Happy pulsing.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:38 AM   #148
Junior LCF Member

Logging in hour 11 of 10/10 today. I have had a bit of a rest this week due to an upset stomach for a few days, but it's amazing how much easier and better my form is after a short break. Happy pulsing all.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:07 PM   #149
Major LCF Poster!

Oct #8, #65 total

My internet went down today just as I was preparing to do warm ups with the class. That meant no video, no Zen garden video for background and no referencing that pelvic scoop modification marlenelet had posted. instead I worked myself through a nice quiet extended session, just like they were when I started. I was hard-pressed to get going today so I dressed, planning to do the Daily Stretches slow and easy. After a short,break I decided to go ahead and do the Warm Ups, then put off the rest of the session until tomorrow. After Warm Ups I slipped into abs, intending only to practice some modifications. Before I knew it I was finishing up Pelvic Scoops and only had three more things to do. Callanetics is sneaky that way.

That pelvic scoop modification went better this time. Instead of attempting 10 pulses before the lift I did them with 5 pulses each then finished up the scoop and lift. I still had to break after each two reps but I got all 10 done and I maintained decent control. Next time.

Jigglebuster I read your great post about 10/10 and I couldn't agree more. Callan believed until her death that the 10/10 program could stand on its own. All of what evolved later and all that comes in the future rests on the bedrock of her first work. I still keep her book next to my seat for consultation. It's wonderful having so much variety for those desiring it and if you have a strong working knowledge of 10/10 it's easier to try something new out. Like you the best concept I took from Evolution was the counter extensions. How was I so unaware of them for so long. It all comes back to 10/10. All these years and I still haven't mastered all of it. Do you ever master Callanetics?

Abrandnewu I'm glad you're feeling better.

Happy pulsing all.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:02 AM   #150
Major LCF Poster!

Oct. #8, #65 Total

As I started to get ready for warm-ups yesterday my internet service went down and I found myself without access to even my Zen garden background video. After some messing around I decided it was back to an extended quiet session, a wonder all its own. I was hard-pressed to get started anyway and talked myself into putting the session off until today ("I'll still have time to get three sessions in this week if I wait until tomorrow.") but why not doing just the warm ups, then it became "maybe play around with the abs" , which led right into the legs and before I knew it I was finishing up the Pelvic Scoops and only had a couple more movements to complete the session. Callanetics is sneaky that way. Missing a week with a cold sets my goal for the month off but I should still get in 10 sessions which is 2 above my base commitment of 2 a week so I'm feeling pretty good about the month right now.

Marlenelet I played a little more with that pelvic scoop modification, this time opting to do the pulsing of the pelvic floor five times with each scoop before completing the lift. I still need to break after two repetitions, but I got through all ten scoops with decent control. I can really feel the inner thighs working deep in a way I'd never noticed before. They require more attention before I have them under complete control. Thanks for the reminder.

From Jigglebuster:
marlenelet, it's true. I think it took me 150-200 times of watching and listening to the video to actually hear everything. If you listen to to Callan, she does stress that you really need to get your hip rolled in, otherwise it will "transfer to the thigh muscle". I'm glad you're not rushing to to using the other videos. 10/10 is the basis for all of that, and it's my opinion that if you can hear and do everything that's in 10/10, which is a lot, it will just make your experience of Super or Evo or the newer series that much more understandable from the get go, and you'll be able to benefit from them more, that is if you decide you want to do them, you don't have to. The only thing I think that Evo brings, as far as benefiting your experience in 10/10 is the couterpulls, of course it has different exercises based on 10/10, but that's not what I'm getting at here. Applying the understanding of the counterpulls to 10/10 brings it to yet another whole new level, but you don't have to do Evo to learn or understand the concept of counterpulls. For now, if you can get that hip turned in, you'll at least stop transferring to your thigh muscles.

I couldn't agree more with what you say. Learning 10/10 is akin to learning the first language of Callanetics. Callan's initial work is the bedrock for everything that followed and will follow and she stood by her belief that 10/10 was enough until she died. A strong working knowledge of 10/10 makes learning the other programs easier, but it always comes back to the basics. Her original book still holds a spot right next to my seat where I can find it for reference and refreshment. I've been reading that book regularly for over 25 years and she still surprises me. Her entire focus was on freeing up your life by being able to maintain your best body condition by practicing Callanetics only two times a week. We give it more commitment when we start out of shape, but once you reach your body shape goal you can then go into maintenance mode and keep your body fit with a minimal schedule. Brilliant! When I came back to Callanetics this time my intent was to do a year using only 10/10 and track the results. I found out quickly that I'm more adventurous and began playing around with modifications but I know that doing 10/10 alone would have done it for me.

I would add that Evo taught us more about proper alignment and the necessary (although initially confusing) understanding of the activation of the pelvic floor. When I learned how to replace squeezing the large gluteus muscles for gently squeezing the sit bones together it was like a light went off in my brain. I honestly can't imagine how I worked so many years without the counter extension concept. Applying these concepts revolutionized my entire approach.

abrandnewu, I'm glad you're feeling better.

Happy pulsing all.