Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2013, 02:02 PM   #91
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: yeagerdee
Stats: 226/145/140
WOE: hHCG/LC
Start Date: 2009
Did 15 min of Daily Stretches, very relaxing.
yeagerdee is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2013, 06:49 PM   #92
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susanw53
Stats: 238.9/195.2/155
WOE: Just sensible control
Start Date: Callanetics, 7/98, restart 5/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeagerdee View Post
Did 15 min of Daily Stretches, very relaxing.
Glad to hear it. You will begin to notice a difference as you continue doing them daily. I also find them quite relaxing and now I feel more in connection with my body than before starting them. As time goes on it becomes more and more introspective and movement itself is easier. I so enjoy thinking about the movements and contractions.
susanw53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:58 AM   #93
Senior LCF Member

2 sessions done 10n10. Yesterday was easier, my 17 yr old son joined me, he said "mom we should do this everyday" He's a 6"3 basketball player and his coach told him to do more stretches. That was the motivation I needed. I'm in it now!!!

Thanks for the pep talk Ladies
Old 10-15-2013, 09:07 AM   #94
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: puglove
Hi everyone, I introduced myself here a few months ago but since then I haven't been able to keep up a consistent workout schedule (I've had great results with Callanetics in the past...so why can't I stick to it?? ) So here I am trying yet again, and I have a question about the behind and hip exercises. When I do them on the right, I can really feel the muscles working, but on the left I can't seem to get the same feeling. I try to adjust my position every which way but I don't feel that burn like on the right side. Has anyone else experienced this? Right now my right butt cheek is sore but the left one isn't!
puglove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:48 PM   #95
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puglove View Post
Hi everyone, I introduced myself here a few months ago but since then I haven't been able to keep up a consistent workout schedule (I've had great results with Callanetics in the past...so why can't I stick to it?? ) So here I am trying yet again, and I have a question about the behind and hip exercises. When I do them on the right, I can really feel the muscles working, but on the left I can't seem to get the same feeling. I try to adjust my position every which way but I don't feel that burn like on the right side. Has anyone else experienced this? Right now my right butt cheek is sore but the left one isn't!

I know I am always "more stretched" on the right side. My nose can touch my knees on the right side during the leg stretches, but not the left. Maybe because that's the dominate side since I am right handed . Note - I'm still a newbie too.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:52 PM   #96
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by puglove View Post
Hi puglove. The human body is almost never symmetrical and it is common for you to feel it more on one side. I have the same sensation and it fascinates me every time. My right side is the dominant side and that may have something to do with it. Regardless I don't perceive any difference in effect so I ignore it for the most part. You may be trying too hard if you are ending up with sore muscles. Done properly Callanetics works the muscles without pain and certainly without any residual soreness. You may be tightening the gluteus muscles (large muscles) when the intent is to activate the pelvic floor (small core muscles) by gently bringing the sit bones closer together, curling the pelvis under to straighten the back and then extend that leg out from the hip socket until the knee lifts off the floor and pulse. Keep a clear idea in your mind of what you're trying for and eventually your body will find its way there.

I wish I knew the answer to the challenges of consistency when you do something this effective. For 25 years I played an on-again-off -again game with Callanetics. Now that I'm getting ready to turn 60 I'm planning on staying with it. Hopefully we can find a way to keep you excited and stimulated. There are some exciting things going on in Callanetics and I suggest you check out the Internet to find them. We're all pretty excited here too.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:44 PM   #97
Major LCF Poster!

I'm tired of this cold already. My body misses my pulsing.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:20 PM   #98
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: abrandnewu
Thanks Jigglebuster, I haven't been able to find an example of what Cardio Callanetics is like online, there's only a very brief promo on youtube. I really like your tip about scheduling Callanetics on specific times / days.

I've started to incorporate HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) on my rebounder alongside callanetics but in the last two days life has gotten in the way with house moves and car troubles...so I'm really looking forward to a Callanetics session after work today.
abrandnewu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:27 PM   #99
Junior LCF Member

Good to know I'm not the only one!

Susan, the soreness isn't very bad, but I probably did overdo it a little with this workout. I haven't been exercising consistently and I always have a little soreness when I get back into it. Plus I have adrenal fatigue, and high cortisol = stiff, sore muscles. On the plus side, the stretches really help me relax which is exactly what a stressed out person needs.

I hope you feel better soon!
Old 10-16-2013, 01:45 AM   #100
Junior LCF Member

Just logging in another hour. 10/10 today so that makes 6.5 hours with 13.5 to go. Happy pulsing everyone.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:12 AM   #101
odo
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: odo
Stats: 148
WOE: none
Start Date: 2003, 07/2013
Another session logged

I also have trouble getting motivated to do my callanetics and I am on 34th session. I tend to do them in the morning before the house wakes up or else the day gets in the way and they don't get done. But it is still a challenge in the morning between cup of coffee and callanetics or curling up on the sofa in my cuddle blanket for an extra hour snooze. But as soon as I make a start on the warm up 'up and down' then I am away happily (it would be a waste of a warm up not to keep going and why have to do the warm up twice to do a session of callanetics )

Hope you feel better soon Susan
  • Miles run: 4.5 miles October (goal 30 miles)
odo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:53 AM   #102
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jigglebuster
Stats: 168..153(2013)/155/Healthy 5'7.5" wrist: 6.25"
WOE: Seasonal - Organic and nothing packaged
Start Date: Callanetics : Aug 18 '09 then again: Mar 15 '13
puglove, I'm going to take this from a different perspective for you. Since it seems your left side might just be stronger, perhaps you can work on finding the sweet spot where it feels less burning on your right, the spot where your leg will lift almost on its own? I'm not saying there won't be any burning, it just won't be through the whole exercise, but I have a feeling you can work on this, and your past drilling in your brain of "no pain, no gain" has not allowed you to recognise this, it's causing you to look for the "pain" instead.

yeargerdee, good for you! Now do another!!!

abrandnewu, Cardio Callanetics is kind of like learning how to line dance but with beginner ballet moves. Not easy, but I spend the hole time laughing at my lack of gracefulness, especially after she comments on how well I'm doing! Ha ha!

I, am taking a break. I have been since Saturday. I recognised that my body was speaking to me, and telling me, it's time, after all, I have been going since March, well with some bodily forced breaks, but without the mental permission to let go. So I have done no Callanetics for 5 days now. I have stretched a bit, but no Callanetics. Bones popping out didn't heed well in my head (please, if you don't know my history, don't think Callanetics makes bones pop out, I just have a very special body!). Plus, I think all of the excitement around it triggered some of my narcolepsy, so it's a clear indication of "too much!". I'll start again within the next few days.

Happy Pulsing All!
Thighs: L:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
........R:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
Above Knee: 21.5(2009)...16.25"(Mar2013)/15.25"/15.25
(M)Calves L: 17.5(J2010)...15"(Mar2013)/14.25"/ 14.0
.........R: 17(J2010)...14.6"(Mar2013)/14.0"/14.0
Starting all over with 197 hours (2/16 this month) of Callanetics, and playing outside!

Last edited by Jigglebuster; 10-16-2013 at 07:55 AM..
Jigglebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:28 AM   #103
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: keepfitbrit
Start Date: 9th September 2014
Hi everyone
Just logging in my 4th and 5th session so far this month. The Daily stretches are great although when you have to move your eyes up and down as your head goes down and up, I don't feel very coordinated.
After being introduced to many more callanetics exercises , I think I need to establish some sort of weekly routine so I can fit all of them in! I haven't done some of my favourite Evo exercises for a while, or the sitting spinal rotation or even the inner thigh Squeeze I would ideally like to stick to 1-1¼hours per session but can't fit everything in. Any advice?

Jigglebuster - thanks for your post - it reminded me when I need to take a break if I'm doing "too much". As always body awareness is paramount when you're exercising and also when you need to take some rest.

Happy pulsing everyone

Last edited by keepfitbrit; 10-16-2013 at 09:31 AM..
keepfitbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:32 AM   #104
Junior LCF Member

odo, I envy anyone who has time to exercise in the morning! I leave for work at 6 a.m. so there's no way I am getting up any earlier!

jigglebuster, that is an interesting way of looking at it. Looking back on how I used to exercise, I definitely had the "no pain, no gain" mentality. For a while I had a former marine for a personal trainer. Maybe pushing myself too hard is the reason I have a hard time sticking with callanetics?

Ok, time for hour #2
Old 10-16-2013, 02:43 PM   #105
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sandrahanna
Quote:
Originally Posted by odo View Post
Another session logged

I also have trouble getting motivated to do my callanetics and I am on 34th session. I tend to do them in the morning before the house wakes up or else the day gets in the way and they don't get done. But it is still a challenge in the morning between cup of coffee and callanetics or curling up on the sofa in my cuddle blanket for an extra hour snooze. But as soon as I make a start on the warm up 'up and down' then I am away happily (it would be a waste of a warm up not to keep going and why have to do the warm up twice to do a session of callanetics )

Hope you feel better soon Susan

Reading this post reminded me of myself Putting on my leotard was the do the warm up only, then I'd go on and do the arms, waist etc and before I knew it I was in the the program. Whacky self talk but it worked every time
Sandrahanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:16 PM   #106
Junior LCF Member

Thanks Jigglebuster for the more detailed explanation of cardio callanetics. I can see how line dancing and ballet might become a hilarious combo. Does it get the heart rate up?

It's wonderful that both you and Susan are being so kind to yourselves. I myself have set myself quite a steep goal for the month, and it reminds me that the 6.5 sessions I have already done, is SO much more than I have done in the last few months, so every session now is just a bonus.

I have found that I have a few niggles popping up... after the new vid I had a slightly sore ankle, during the stretches my back niggles a bit sometimes and also my knee has been a little tender. I do think that since our bodies are usually misaligned that the stretches and exercises bring up hidden issues to the surface, I hope that in time, all these niggles will disappear and I will have one strong, fit, firm and stretched bod.

In the meantime, 6.5 hours and my chubby knees are really changing. I have more of a spring in my step and my cellulite is starting to go away too. I didn't measure at the start but I can definitely feel a difference in my pants already. Amazing.

I hope you get better soon Susan and enjoy your rest jigglebuster
Old 10-16-2013, 08:42 PM   #107
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marlenelet
6th and 7th hour logged for this month, so that brings my total to 30Hrs.

From 20 to 30Hrs, I don't see major changes in my body, except that my oblique is slightly more pronounced and I'm less prone to bloating.

I've been practising Callanetics for the past 2.5months. Haven't done much cardio except household chores and the occasional power walking at the gym. But the amazing thing is that my resting pulse rate dropped from 85 per minute ( pre-Callanetics ) to 64 per minute. Imagine the good stuff that Callanetics is doing to our health. One more reason for me to keep on doing Callanetics.

Oh, 1 question : I haven't tried the 42min video. Can I use it as a full session?
marlenelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:10 AM   #108
Junior LCF Member

Logging in with another hour, this time of the callanetics studio video with a few extra 10/10 exercises added. 7.5 hours down, 12.5 to go.

Marlenelet, I have been logging the 42 min video as a full hour as the pace of it is much faster than 10/10 (no long explanations) and if you do the stretches video alongside, that definitely makes an hour.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:00 AM   #109
Senior LCF Member

3rd 10n10 session done. I think 3 - 4 days a week works best for me. I'm gonna stick to that, with walking either outside or the treadmill the other days. Since I am trying desperately to lose weight. Don't wan't sore muscles, sore muscles make the scale go up for me due to the water retention.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:59 PM   #110
Senior LCF Member

abrandnewu, that's great. I'm beginning to worry if I'm starting to plateau with the 10/10 after almost 3 months. I've got the 42min video.....hvn't watched it yet. Will do so over the weekend.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:59 PM   #111
Senior LCF Member

8th hour of 10/10 for this month, total 31Hrs.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:37 PM   #112
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CathinVan
Stats: 145/143/138
Start Date: August 2013
I have managed 12 sessions so far this month 10 of them are 10/10 and 2 evolution. I have found the Evo DVD useful as I am getting more focused on technique. I also got hold of an old copy of the 10/10 book for 10 cents plus postage on Amazon which is a good read.

I am not sure whether I can keep up the pace as I am going home to the UK for a week tomorrow. I've not been back for a few years and am worried about how much I may be eating - all those foods I have missed. I shall not be stepping on the scales for a while.

So far I don't think I have lost weight but I do feel a lot fitter and my posture is less slouchy. It's definitely harder to shift the weight compared with when I started 25 years ago.

Last edited by CathinVan; 10-17-2013 at 09:42 PM.. Reason: To correct typo
CathinVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 04:07 AM   #113
Junior LCF Member

Logging in 1.5 hours, so that's a total of 9 for the month! Today was 10/10 in the morning and yesterday was a legs and behind session that I put together myself from a number of the videos. Looking forward to hitting 10 hours tomorrow.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:41 AM   #114
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jigglebuster
Stats: 168..153(2013)/155/Healthy 5'7.5" wrist: 6.25"
WOE: Seasonal - Organic and nothing packaged
Start Date: Callanetics : Aug 18 '09 then again: Mar 15 '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrandnewu View Post
Thanks Jigglebuster for the more detailed explanation of cardio callanetics. I can see how line dancing and ballet might become a hilarious combo. Does it get the heart rate up?

It's wonderful that both you and Susan are being so kind to yourselves. I myself have set myself quite a steep goal for the month, and it reminds me that the 6.5 sessions I have already done, is SO much more than I have done in the last few months, so every session now is just a bonus.

I have found that I have a few niggles popping up... after the new vid I had a slightly sore ankle, during the stretches my back niggles a bit sometimes and also my knee has been a little tender. I do think that since our bodies are usually misaligned that the stretches and exercises bring up hidden issues to the surface, I hope that in time, all these niggles will disappear and I will have one strong, fit, firm and stretched bod.

In the meantime, 6.5 hours and my chubby knees are really changing. I have more of a spring in my step and my cellulite is starting to go away too. I didn't measure at the start but I can definitely feel a difference in my pants already. Amazing.

I hope you get better soon Susan and enjoy your rest jigglebuster
Just to be clear, this description of Cardio Callanetics is my perspective as a person who has never taken a dance class in her life. What was hilarious was my clumsiness. I suspect I looked like one of those 3 year old who just wasn't getting it in her ballet class, you know, the one everyone secretly giggles at because it's so cute? Anyway, yes, it does get the heart rate up, quite a bit actually.

"Niggles"... I wish my niggles were a subtle as yours! ha ha! Some are, and it's definitely a sign of realignment. I think with me, my hips are getting realigned and my femur is having trouble knowing what to do. But my ankle, I'm finding that niggling very interesting. We shall see, eh?

Congrats on the changing knees! That's exciting isn't it?
Jigglebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:27 AM   #115
Major LCF Poster!

I forgot to mention I am now down to 207.5 lbs. I do believe I have a good chance of breaking below 200 by the New Year.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:39 PM   #116
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: keepfitbrit
Start Date: 9th September 2014
Hi everyone
I'm feeling .
I've hurt my lower back either overdoing it generally or lifting at work. It came on gradually on Thursday afternoon and got worse. I've tried everything I can think of - stretches, painkillers, deep heat, arnica gel, manuka honey, myofascial release techniques I found on youtube, you name it! Some stretches do help, lying flat helps and it is easier to stay stood up than sat down. I've tried the yoga cat/camel stretch but the camel one is painful and the cat not. I'll call for an appointment at the doctors on Monday if it is not better. Anyway, sorry to rant but I'm missing my Callanetics and feeling active and well. I'll still continue reading and posting on the thread while I recover. Hugs to you all and happy pulsing
keepfitbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:33 PM   #117
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Susan179
Stats: Weight 155
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Nov. 1, 2013
Hi Everyone, I'm new to this site. I just started the 10 in 10 about 5 times now all the way through over a two week period. I am beginning to see my weight go up 4-5 pounds. Is this normal? When does it start going down again? Do I need to eat differently?am eating less and weighing more. How do I get the scale to go down too? I am 159 now and would like to see 135 again soon.
Susan179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:17 PM   #118
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan179 View Post
Hi Everyone, I'm new to this site. I just started the 10 in 10 about 5 times now all the way through over a two week period. I am beginning to see my weight go up 4-5 pounds. Is this normal? When does it start going down again? Do I need to eat differently?am eating less and weighing more. How do I get the scale to go down too? I am 159 now and would like to see 135 again soon.
Hi Susan. It's pretty common to gain weight when beginning to practice Callanetics. Muscle tissue weighs more than fat and you are actively building muscle, hence the gain. Be excited instead of concerned. It means Callanetics is working. It will level out soon and begin to reverse the trend. If you read through past challenge posts you will find many of us expressing the same thing. When you begin to lose again Callanetics will make every pound lost look like two. Good times ahead.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:53 AM   #119
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrandnewu View Post

When I returned to Callanetics this time I had not done any real exercise for almost ten years, had put on more weight than ever before in my life and was seriously out of alignment but wasn't aware of it. The 'niggles' my body put me through caught me by surprise and there were times when I actually thought it might be easier to stop Callanetics and go back to being complacent. Thankfully I was wise enough to understand what was going on and to realize that consistency was what would work for me and sure enough somewhere around session #50 things settled down and my body stopped fighting against slipping into proper alignment. It was an interesting time though and I learned a lot about anatomy while going through it. Hang in there, it does get better. You're doing a great job.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:59 AM   #120
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepfitbrit View Post
Hi everyone
I'm feeling .
I've hurt my lower back either overdoing it generally or lifting at work. It came on gradually on Thursday afternoon and got worse. I've tried everything I can think of - stretches, painkillers, deep heat, arnica gel, manuka honey, myofascial release techniques I found on youtube, you name it! Some stretches do help, lying flat helps and it is easier to stay stood up than sat down. I've tried the yoga cat/camel stretch but the camel one is painful and the cat not. I'll call for an appointment at the doctors on Monday if it is not better. Anyway, sorry to rant but I'm missing my Callanetics and feeling active and well. I'll still continue reading and posting on the thread while I recover. Hugs to you all and happy pulsing
So sorry to hear this. I hope it resolves itself quickly. I can identify with the missing Callanetics part. This cold has kept me inactive for over a week now and I seriously miss the sense of being tall and lean and that sweet sensation of strengthening abs. I feel so much younger with regular Callanetics. Before we know it we will all be back at it. Take care of you.