Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > The Exercise Board
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2013, 06:57 AM   #61
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: abrandnewu
That's amazing Susan. How much lighter you must feel!

Today was a quick callanetics session for me...hips and behind with some of Sandra's moves from her online video. I don't think it counts as another hour so I will say that I'm 2.5 hours in for the month, 17.5 to go.
abrandnewu is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2013, 08:23 AM   #62
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: keepfitbrit
Start Date: 16th April 2013
Hi everyone

Session #3 of the month.
I did The Callanetics Studio session today with some extra Abs (single leg raised ones from Evo) and the inner thigh squeeze using heels to squeeze the chair legs.
I am learning so much from this new video, and realising all I still have to work on. Tweaking my form and relaxing more is my goal this month but the standing pelvic rotations for the legs are brutal as are the kneeling hip and behind. For some reason today during this exercise my left leg (straight out) would not lift off the floor. Try as I may to extend out of the hip the leg would not cooperate and yet the exercise on the other side was fine . In my frustration, I tensed up and even my arms were quivering! Naturally, I gave myself a breather and thought, never mind I'll try again tomorrow!
Haven't tried the Daily stretches yet so must do them tomorrow too.
So little time, so much to learn!

Susan
, fantastic before and after shots , in such a short amount of time you have really pulled in - in your back photo, the definition is great!
Happy pulsing everyone!
keepfitbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:52 PM   #63
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: susanw53
Stats: 238.9/195.2/155
WOE: Just sensible control
Start Date: Callanetics, 7/98, restart 5/2013
keepfitbrit the Daily Stretches give the most benefit Callanetics days when they're done right before you do your Callanetics session. Their gentle and thoughtful nature get your brain actively engaged and it's amazing how stretched out and tuned in you become before you do even one pulse. The longer you do them the more awareness you gain of your body and the greater the benefits.

My daughter Rachel told me yesterday she can't for the life of her get the idea of stretching out from the hip joint until the leg lifts by itself (the same concern you had with one side) and I'm working on a method to teach her the concept. She does Callanetics alone but maybe I can get her to get down on the floor and try (maybe today ). I learned it instinctively with the Evo standing leg movements (after watching Sandra's FB videos, which were an eye opener for me) and the Evo floor Behind and Hips movements, but I haven't taught it to anyone before. It's curious that your body gave you such difficulty with it today. I'd like to hear how it goes tomorrow.

I'm determined to master those pelvic rotation pliés but they are still kicking my butt.

Happy pulsing.
susanw53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:32 PM   #64
Junior LCF Member

Thanks Susan for your reply.
The thing I can't understand is that with the standing hip and behind I can extend out from the hip and I can do it with the standing Evo leg exercises so maybe it is something to do with the way I'm positioned whilst kneeling that is causing the problem. As far as I know the kneeling hip and behind is from 10/10 or one of the other DVD's but is not on Evo so I am not familiar with that variation of the hip/thigh exercise. Despite this, I'm not discouraged but actually quite excited by this new challenge.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:47 PM   #65
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrandnewu View Post
That's amazing Susan. How much lighter you must feel!

Today was a quick callanetics session for me...hips and behind with some of Sandra's moves from her online video. I don't think it counts as another hour so I will say that I'm 2.5 hours in for the month, 17.5 to go.
Now when I feel discouraged (which doesn't happen often) I can pick up one of those boxes and carry it around the apartment to remind myself how much lighter I am now.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:33 PM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marlenelet
4th session done, 27Hrs total.

I've just signed up with the Callanetics Studio...hope to try out the 40min video soon.
marlenelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:32 PM   #67
Senior LCF Member

susan, congrats on achieving the 60Hrs milestone and your before/after photos are an inspiration.

I tried engaging the pelvic floor muscles yesterday and well, I'm not really sure if I did it right but it made the stomach exercises so much harder. Engaging the PF in the hips and behind exercises, it strangely felt easier and more difficult at the same time. Easier as in, the pulses are even tinier compared to how I usually do them and it's effortless in lifting the leg to pulse. But it strangely felt difficult at the same time because my muscles were quivering. Strangely, my leg muscles were quivering but I was able to keep my body stable whereas it used to be difficult to keep my balance when my leg muscles quiver sometimes.....I guess the pelvic floor plays a role in stabilizing the body.

Anyone who's done the exercises with & without engaging the pelvic floor muscles, can you share with me how you've felt diferently?
Old 10-09-2013, 04:42 AM   #68
Junior LCF Member

Today was another hour of 10/10 for me. That's 3.5 hours down 16.5 to go. I also did some of the standing legs during the day while at work so perhaps that's why I found today's session so difficult, but I really concentrated on form and counter pulls which for me took the workout to a whole new level. I haven't focused much on engaging the pelvic floor marlenelet so I can't comment.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:23 AM   #69
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Meggi
Didn't do another sessions yesterday, will do one today Everyone is doing so great, Susan you look fantastic! A friend commented that it looked like I was losing weight today after only 3 sessions, so I can't wait to see results from 10,20,30! Good luck everyone, have a great day!
Meggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:01 PM   #70
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: newmomtx
Stats: 129/129/110 5'2"
Thanks everyone and susanw53! I promptly registered with the Callanetics Studio and did the 20 mins stretch before 10/10 callanetics yesterday. I felt more relaxed this time and also felt the pulsing hitting at more correct parts i think ; waiting for the 5th day of registration to get the much awaited 40 mins toning video!

Oh by the way, logging in my 2nd session of 10/10 video of this month, done yesterday!
newmomtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:04 AM   #71
Lon
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lon
I just saw your fantastic results Susan. Such an inspiration for us to keep going!

I took your advice and rested until the soreness was gone and when I did session 5 yesterday I felt stronger than ever. I still have to take pauses here and there but it's getting better.
Lon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:42 AM   #72
Junior LCF Member

It's so exciting to hear how everyone is going on here. Today I logged another hour, so that's 4.5 hours for the month with 15.5 to go. At this rate I will reach my goal for the month.

I am already feeling stronger. Today I did the online video from The Callanetics Studio with the stretches beforehand and I found that unlike 4 days ago, I could actually start to attempt the kneeling hip and behind whereas 4 days ago, I couldn't do it at all. I really keep on focusing on form, engaging the pelvic floor feels kind of natural when I ensure that my hip, tailbone and ribs are aligned and that I'm lengthening through the crown.

I think I'm also really starting to see some changes around my thighs and pudgy knees...things are smoothing out! This is amazing for me. I am a natural pear shape and no matter what workout I've tried this area has never really shifted in a way where I evened out. I am hoping that Callanetics will really change my pear shape into something more even. Are there any ex-pears on here who have done so successfully?

I am starting to get addicted to the workout too. I find it so de-stressing. It's really wonderful. Happy pulsing all!
Old 10-10-2013, 09:14 AM   #73
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: yeagerdee
Stats: 226/145/140
WOE: hHCG/LC
Start Date: 2009
I'm in - Did this last year, saw results, almost had a thigh gap. Gonna start back with 10in10. My hubby just always looks at me funny when I am doing some the moves Starting tonight, here I go!!!
yeagerdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:38 PM   #74
odo
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: odo
Stats: 148
WOE: none
Start Date: 2003, 07/2013
Session 3 for October done

Wow what great pictures Susan !!

Jigglebuster how are you getting into position for your splits? I want to do them but I seem to get into the 'wrong start positions'. I tried the way Callan suggested (I must be reading it wrong because I end up putting pressure on my knee on my rear leg). Sliding down into them from standing is difficult on carpet and not a lot of control on the kitchen tiles!

Oh and to all the newbies !!!!!!
odo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:16 PM   #75
Senior LCF Member

5th session done for this month, 28Hrs overall.

susan and jigglebuster, thanks for sharing your thoughts. Sometimes, I feel like I'm doing it right when it comes to engaging the PF, sometimes I doubt what I'm doing. LOL!

For the hips & behind exercises, I try to align my head, shoulders and pelvic in a straight line, then I imagine the sit bones coming closer together and I start pulsing. But I still don't understand what Callan meant by 'tilt the pelvic up'. I inteprete that to mean ' align the head, shoulders, pelvic in a straight line....don't slouch '.

Engaging the PF, my pulses now become so tiny that I can't tell visually whether I'm actually pulsing or not. At times, I thought that it was all in my head....but I'd feel my muscles with my hand and found that they were actually quivering half of the time.

Last edited by marlenelet; 10-10-2013 at 07:24 PM..
Old 10-10-2013, 09:02 PM   #76
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CathinVan
Stats: 145/143/138
Start Date: August 2013
Awesome results Susan. Loved the photo of you lifting the heavy box too! Thanks for sharing

I am up to 6 sessions this month with today being my first Evolution session. I found I had to concentrate really hard on all the instructions but enjoyed the variety. Just relaxing now with a cup of tea.

Keep up the good work everyone!
CathinVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:07 PM   #77
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jigglebuster
Stats: 168... 153(March)/???/~145 5'7.5" wrist: 6.25"
WOE: Organic and nothing packaged and 70% raw.
Start Date: Callanetics : Aug 18 '09 then again: Mar 15 '13
Hi Susan, thanks for the password! I won't have time to check it out before my morning session tomorrow, but I will sometime during the day. In the meantime, I certainly feel challenged enough with what I'm doing. And I don't know why I said left, but it's my right hip that cramps.

As far as relaxing that midsection is concerned, I am a case! Even with my extremely gentle "splits", my body freaked out last night, and the left femur came out of its socket a bit toward the front, as did my right collarbone. This is what my body does. It likes to tighten tendons and squish out the bones. It's all back in place now and I did my stretches this morning. So my point is, even though I relax my muscles in my midsection, they are not flexible enough to relax enough to alleviate the cramp. It' not really a cramp either, it's more of muscle freaking out and constricting in reaction to what I'm asking it to do, no matter how gently. And the cramps come not when I'm working the muscle, but when I'm trying to relax the muscle as in the floor stretches, that whole spreading my legs as far as I can... immediate peach freakout. So I breathe into it and tell the rest of my body it doesn't need to freak out with it, and if it doesn't calm down, bring my legs back in to a place where the freaking stops. I suppose you could say I have a 2 year old body with a rebellious attitude problem.

Odo, I don't have the book, so I'm just doing what I did 20 years ago. All I'm doing is standing in front of a "bar" of some sort, so I can keep my balance, then take a step out so my legs are not as far as I can go, then wiggle my foot little by little until I feel a little resistance (not a lot), and there I stay. While there, I make sure my posture is stretched upward, and to increase the stretch, all I have to do is engage the pelvis, or move it forward a tiny bit. I hold for a count of 50, while I breathe.

Then I do each side. So from the above position, I wiggle my foot in somewhat and then turn to the left. If I don't feel anything at all, I scrinch my front foot forward or back foot backward, until I do. I do not require both legs to feel stretched at this point. In fact, because of my core's tightness, right now, most of the stretch is in the central front of my lower hip, at my pelvis level. Again, I make sure my body is stretched upward and to increase the stretch, I use the pelvis. I know from the past that once this starts to relax, I can spread my legs further, bit by bit, and I will start to feel it in the other hip, and then eventually the hamstrings of the front leg. Again I hold it for 50 seconds while breathing.

Then I switch sides, by turning my body and shifting my weight, find the position, body stretched up, pelvis engaged, breathing, then count to 50.

Eventually, you will get low enough to switch that back foot over and point your toe back, but for now, it's okay to be on your toes. Whatever you do be extra careful and gentle. These are delicate tendons and ligaments that deserve respect.

Marlenelet, it sounds like you're doing it correctly. Yay! What Callan is talking about is this: Tilting the pelvis up would bring their peach forward and straighten their back. Most people, when they think of things in this way, even if they don't have a severe sway back, will end up engaging their pelvis. Callan was using 'tilt the pelvic up' as a means to communicate how to engage the pelvis, because it was easier than explaining how to engage the pelvis.

I hope this is all comprehensible! Goodnight!
Thighs: L:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
........R:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
Above Knee: 21.5(2009)...16.25"(Mar2013)/15.25"/15.5
(M)Calves L: 17.5(J2010)...15"(Mar2013)/14.5"/ 14.0
.........R: 17(J2010)...14.6"(Mar2013)/14.25"/14.0
Starting all over with 174 hours (17/16 this month) of Callanetics, and playing outside!
Jigglebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:20 AM   #78
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Prithi
Hello Ladies, I am in.. I signed up here just to join this challenge. I have done 3 hrs so far this month and want to do 15 hrs. Fingers crossed.

A little bit about myself: I discovered Callanetics last year and after all the research I was convinced and bought the video. Started in August 2012 and managed to do around 11hrs before I found out I was prego But saw visible results that even my husband and friends noticed.

Well now I am a mommy of a 4 month out baby boy and started Callanetics last month and managed to do 7 hrs in September'13. This month 3 hrs/15hrs. So far I have seen great difference in my post baby belly and thighs. I am super excited and motivated. But sometimes it is just hard to find time with a baby and everything going on.. But I am determined.
Prithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:35 AM   #79
Senior LCF Member

I so forgot how hard this was. I was so tense. Couldn't keep my shoulders down. The move I loved, the back stretch, was so painfull. Can't wait till day 5. That's when I usually am able to enjoy it and relax a bit.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:59 AM   #80
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: callaneticsdiva
hi everyone. I signed up just to join this challenge. Does any one here do SUPER CALLANETICS? it's really effective especially if your body has gotten used to the regular 10 in 10. And i hear most of the exercises from the super callanetics dvd are the moves in callan pinkney's 10 years younger book.
callaneticsdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:55 PM   #81
Junior LCF Member

Hi everybody
Got behind in my sessions this week only one so far and 3 this month - so need to catch up next week but just wanted to say hi to all the newbies and to catch up on posts. I have Monday off work with the kids because their school is closed for the day and then next Friday it is half term school holidays . So only three days for me next week to do Callanetics in peace.
Great to seek others using the new videos from the Callanetics Studio. I have bought I block to place in between my knees for the ab exercises as shown in the 42 minute video. It helps to keep the pelvic floor engaged.
Anyway, happy pulsing and have a great weekend everyone!
Old 10-11-2013, 07:49 PM   #82
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlenelet View Post
5th session done for this month, 28Hrs overall.

susan and jigglebuster, thanks for sharing your thoughts. Sometimes, I feel like I'm doing it right when it comes to engaging the PF, sometimes I doubt what I'm doing. LOL!

For the hips & behind exercises, I try to align my head, shoulders and pelvic in a straight line, then I imagine the sit bones coming closer together and I start pulsing. But I still don't understand what Callan meant by 'tilt the pelvic up'. I inteprete that to mean ' align the head, shoulders, pelvic in a straight line....don't slouch '.

Engaging the PF, my pulses now become so tiny that I can't tell visually whether I'm actually pulsing or not. At times, I thought that it was all in my head....but I'd feel my muscles with my hand and found that they were actually quivering half of the time.
Marlenelet tilting the pelvis up is simply curling the pelvis under and up to the front. The effect is to get the pubis into that lovely stacked alignment you have already worked out. It straightens the back while you pulse, helps stabilize the core and intensify the effect of the pulses.
A post on LCF from Jan. 11, 2011:
"If a Callanetics exercise requires a curl - relax and lengthen your lower back down BEFORE curling up. Start your curl from the base of the behind and maintain the length in your spine avoiding collapsing your torso into your pelvis."

You're doing a great job. Exciting times are ahead.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:27 AM   #83
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Simply me
Trying again

I tried a few months to be part of this forum but although I managed my 15 hours I lost momentum with the forum. So starting again because Ive lapsed for over a month now - although I have the super DVD I haven't tried it yet - so the plan is 15 hours this month then start super DVD November
One question - Ive done 3 sessions this week but I'm not aching or anything - am I not doing it right do u think ?
I need to loose 9lbs and tone so I'm joining the challenge !
Maggie
Simply me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:44 AM   #84
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply me View Post
I tried a few months to be part of this forum but although I managed my 15 hours I lost momentum with the forum. So starting again because Ive lapsed for over a month now - although I have the super DVD I haven't tried it yet - so the plan is 15 hours this month then start super DVD November
One question - Ive done 3 sessions this week but I'm not aching or anything - am I not doing it right do u think ?
I need to loose 9lbs and tone so I'm joining the challenge !
Maggie
Welcome back Maggie. Callanetics is about focus and control, so if you're breathing well and feeling results you should feel results, without ache, so you must be doing something right. I hope we can inspire you to improve your consistency.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:07 PM   #85
Junior LCF Member

Just finished another session of 10/10 today. I had a couple of days off as my muscles were really sore. That's 5.5 hours down with 14.5 to go! I might be cutting it fine, but I am happy to have achieved some consistency. Is anyone doing cardio callanetics? Happy pulsing all! :-)
Old 10-12-2013, 09:59 PM   #86
Senior LCF Member

I tend to do Cardio Callanetics more in the winter. It's quite challenging, and it took me a bit, but I became much more graceful as time went on.

Susan, Yes, I wrote them, about the glitch on the memberships, and later got what seemed like a general email stating memberships are not possible at this time. As far as getting the video early, I'm in no hurry, and I have plenty to do with Callan that is very affective ( I can now say I'm in shape. I have more to improve upon, but I felt that shift a couple of weeks ago and feel like I have my body back again). Besides, they have so much to do, and I'm sure they don't need to figure out how to allow early access to the video too.

Thanks for your words, Susan, they touched me. I'm just living my life with the body I won in this lottery of life, and doing what I can with it. It could be worse. In fact, sometimes I see people on the street, and feel some empathy for them and their bodily predicament, and then I laugh at myself because I realise I forgot about my own body's challenges! Ha ha!

Congrats on your suppleness!

Happy Pulsing All!

Last edited by Jigglebuster; 10-12-2013 at 10:04 PM..
Old 10-13-2013, 06:21 PM   #87
Senior LCF Member

It's Monday today and I haven't done anything since last week Thursday....hectic schedules getting in the way. Aargh!

susan and Jigglebuster, once again thanks for your insights.
Uhm....actually I have a question to ask regarding my behind. LOL!
My behind was firming up nicely, then I had a 4-day lapse in between sessions and well, it's gone soft. I wonder if that's normal if we go too many days in between sessions.

Last edited by marlenelet; 10-13-2013 at 06:22 PM..
Old 10-14-2013, 07:45 AM   #88
Senior LCF Member

Still only one session done, for some reason I just did not want to do 10 n 10 this weekend.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:05 AM   #89
Senior LCF Member

I would recommend booking a time just for Callanetics, as in not just one but a weekly schedule. Then kick your butt and DO it! After a while, your body will come to expect and look forward to the movements. I like to do mine in the morning. that way if I don't do anything else, I know I've done my Callanetics. We can support you here, but in the end it's up to you.

You could also set a goal for yourself - some people are goal oriented, but it sounds like you really just have to do it. You can give yourself premission to whine through the entire hour, and at the end you'll realise you actually did it! And then you can go on with your day feeling better in your body than you have in years. Been there, done that.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:06 PM   #90
Senior LCF Member

Just got the email with Day 1 of the foundation series. I'm gonna see if I can do this @ work today in the gym.