Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > The Exercise Board
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2013, 06:18 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jigglebuster
Stats: 168..153(2013)/?/Healthy 5'7.5" wrist: 6.25"
WOE: Organic and nothing packaged and 70% raw.
Start Date: Callanetics : Aug 18 '09 then again: Mar 15 '13
donesewright There are plenty of us here who have come back to the magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanw53 View Post

Jigglebuster I love hearing about your sessions by the river. : ) I live along the Monongahela River in PA but, unfortunately, they haven't given us free access since the mills came down over 30 years ago so that isn't an option for me. Luckily, living on the third floor facing the river we get the lovely breezes coming upriver. Life is sweet.
I came back today reading "Callanetics Challenge, Outdoor 2013". I was like, oh someone challenging us to go outside and do Callanetics! And then I realised it said "October". Ha ha! Fall has been delayed here, so I've been taking advantage.

So sad you don't have access to the river. Hopefully you can hear/see/feel the river from your third floor. They can't really block us from having access here. This city is an island in the middle of the river. Seriously though, if you have a park nearby, maybe near the river, try your Callanetics there, it's a whole different experience.

Ever since I made advancements in my stretching, I'm now feeling that "I worked out" feeling around my tail bone, in all the little connecting tissues and supporting muscles. There's a lot of cracking involved too.

I'm getting stronger too! I can now do two sets of 50 of the second stomach exercise with both feet off the ground. And I have that puckering bubbly look on my inner thighs, and we all know what that means!

My next venture is working toward the splits. These hips need to open up, so even if I'm three feet off the ground to start with (hypothetical), I know it can only help. In the meantime, my bum is feeling the session I did yesterday (I told you, more intense!) and so I'm taking today off, maybe focussing on stretches instead.
Thighs: L:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
........R:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
Above Knee: 21.5(2009)...16.25"(Mar2013)/15.25"/15.5
(M)Calves L: 17.5(J2010)...15"(Mar2013)/14.5"/ 14.0
.........R: 17(J2010)...14.6"(Mar2013)/14.25"/14.0
Starting all over with 184 hours (8/16 this month) of Callanetics, and playing outside!

Last edited by Jigglebuster; 10-05-2013 at 06:20 AM..
Jigglebuster is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2013, 06:59 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: susanw53
Stats: 238.9/195.2/155
WOE: Just sensible control
Start Date: Callanetics, 7/98, restart 5/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrahanna View Post

Just checking in to wish you all a successful and pulsing October. Hard to believe we're at the tail end of the year

for you all
Nice to have you pop in for a hello. We know how busy you are these days getting The Studio up and running.
susanw53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:35 AM   #33
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Meggi
Hi everyone, I'm new here and to Callanetics, I'm starting because I've gained about 20 pounds in the past couple years :/ Despite being pretty athletic (during the swim season, 4 times a week training, I run, do Crossfit twice a week) I've just kept gaining weight. I don't know why, just hoping to change it I got my DVD a couple days ago and did my first session today, I'm going to fit as many into my schedule as possible, might be hard with lots of schoolwork, events, athletics etc but I'm determined Hoping to lose a few inches, especially around my thighs and butt, wayy to big for my taste. We'll see how this goes, excited to get started
Meggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:59 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: newmomtx
Stats: 129/129/110 5'2"
Hi everyone, visiting this board after a really looooong gap! Am committing to 8 hours of callanetics for the rest of the month. I need serious motivation !
newmomtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:01 PM   #35
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: abrandnewu
Last week was a bit of a tough week with a fair bit of bad news coming my way that seemed to weigh me down and got me a bit stuck. So today was my first hour of Callanetics for October - eeek! But it's amazing (4 hours in) and even with a week off I'm really starting to feel the correct muscles activating during the exercises. Previously, the inner thigh squeeze was more like the quad and calf squeeze, those inner thighs didn't quite know what to do, but today I finally felt a really strong contraction of my inner thighs - no calf or quad action getting in the way.

1/20 for the month! It's going to be tight, but I will still aim to hit the goal.

I'm also looking forward to Sandra's free callanetics video at the Callanetics Studio.
abrandnewu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:54 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: newmomtx
Stats: 129/129/110 5'2"
1st session of Callanetics done. What better way to start off than the original 10/10 video! Also did 15 open and close without stopping - yoohoo!
newmomtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:17 AM   #37
Junior LCF Member

Thanks I'm very excited as I have heard only good things, hoping it's the same for me! Planning on doing another session today, as well as my Ballet Beautiful and maybe going on a run. Doing so much because a couple days ago I went back onto an Air Force Base and ate twice my weight in junk!!
Old 10-06-2013, 01:57 AM   #38
Lon
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lon
Hi, is it OK if i join this challenge?

I've done Callanetics 3 times this week and have lost 1,5 cm around my butt and 1 cm each on upper arm and thigh. I´m surprised at how fast I se results. Although I'm on a diet, I haven't lost any weight yet.

I also go for daily walks with the ambition of getting running when I'm in better shape and my knees don´t protest to much.

I'm going for 13 times Callanetics this month and I have a feeling that a challenge would help me stay on track.

I'm also new to this forum so please excuse any beginners mistakes with posts etc. And, English is not my first language so please excuse any mistakes in that area as well.
Lon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:56 AM   #39
Junior LCF Member

Just finished up a second session, feeling good Only thing is, during the first hip and behind exercise, I don't really feel my hip and behind exercises working, only a little part of my quads. I tried turning my pelvis up and hips forward, but still not feeling it. Any tips? Maybe I just need to get used to it. Did some cardio, no run today, bad weather Oh well, at least I did something. Have a great day everyone
Old 10-06-2013, 08:33 AM   #40
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: zippy
Hi. I just joined this forum and want to do the callanetics challenge with you. I have done callanetics off and on for years - since the 80's. I will try to do 8 hours this month but I'll also try to go mountain biking as much as possible while the weather holds. That seems to work my entire body too!
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:12 PM   #41
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: zayna
I'd like to join. I think the last time I joined, I was flaky. But I've been at it for a couple of weeks--
I'm in for 12 sessions, down two (Sat and Sun) already.
zayna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:05 PM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marlenelet
3rd hour of 10/10 done for this month, total 26Hrs.

I'm getting good results from the 10/10 so far, but I'm starting to think about going on to Evo and Super....but haven't got the tapes yet. The exercises in 10/10 are getting easier to do, and I think I'm ready to take the plunge to go to the next step.

Can anyone share with me what's in Evo and Super, and if they work better on certain specific area(s) compared to 10/10?
marlenelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:35 PM   #43
Junior LCF Member

Hi Meggi I have found that early on with some of the exercises I didn't feel the right muscle working either. It's because the muscle hasn't been used for a while and is dormant (asleep) and other muscles around it that are used more frequently are compensating and take over instead. If you just keep doing it, concentrating on where you want to feel the burn, eventually that muscle will activate and wake up. And it's a great feeling when it does. It's a little ah ha moment! Hope that helps.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:41 PM   #44
Junior LCF Member

Does anyone have any before and after photos they would like to share? I would love to see some other people's results for extra motivation.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:42 PM   #45
Lon
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lon
I have done 4 sessions so far.

Today my body is sore so I will rest with just a walk later in the day. You know how I said I was on a diet but hadn't lost any weight? When I weighed in today it was -2,5 kg. I still have a lot to work on, but I take it as a sign that what I'm doing with food, walks and of course Callanetics works.

I wish you all a beautiful day! Here the sun is up, shining on the red and golden leaves that cover the grass. I love this time of the year.
Lon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:43 AM   #46
Junior LCF Member

Session 2 for the month completed and 18 to go. (5 total) Today was The Callanetics Studio new video. I loved the pace of it (no need to fast forward as with 10/10) although I found the kneeling hip and behind very challenging not to mention the standing pelvic rotations - ouch! But well worth it. Sandra's understanding of form as well as her explanations are terrific!
Happy pulsing all.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:35 AM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Zippy . We're glad you could join us. Grab all the outdoor time you can get during the season. Two Callanetics sessions a week is completely acceptable and will enhance any other fitness approach you are enjoying in ways you can only imagine.

Welcome back zayna. Flaky or not you keep coming back. That desire will eventually lead you to a steady commitment. Treat yourself to a visit to Sandra's Callanetics Studio and see what's new with the program. If you are challenged with consistency (as I was for decades) you might as well get the best results possible.

abrandnewu, I know it's just a matter of semantics, but it's one of my peeves. There is no "burn" in properly executed Callanetics. The burn is lack of oxygen to your cells. We stretch out through the counter extensions to open up the system, allowing increased blood flow to all parts and therefore bringing much needed oxygen to the working areas. If you feel burn, stop, come out gently, think about what's happening, adjust and go back to the job at hand. You should definitely know your muscles are working but burn, strain, and excess effort are absent from the formula for success.
Also, have you checked out the thread for before and after photos? There are some scattered through this challenge thread, but scattered means could be difficult to search out without going page by page. I will be posting some this week.
It's good to see others finding their way to The Callanetics Studio.

Lon, great to hear about the weight loss!!! If your body is sore from doing Callanetics you may want to adjust your schedule to every other day. There is a tendency when beginning to work harder than is necessary, by which I mean using more large muscles than you need to engage. Callanetics works deep and controlled but most of us were raised in atmospheres that pushed fitness programs that require lots of effort and movement. After a brief introductory stage your body finally figures it out and form begins to evolve into a more refined approach. It's good that you chose to listen to your body and rest.

Marlenelet, Super was initially designed as ways to intensify 10/10 movements with some advanced moves added for maximum effect. I think it's worth having the DVD for the reference value, but in the end it's 10/10 with extra pulses and more intense positioning. Personally I get more use out of it as a resource for modification and variety and don't really care for it as a session.
Every Callanetics enthusiast should have a copy of Evolution in my humble opinion. The inclusion of the Callanetics Concepts is invaluable and revolutionized the approach. Using counter extensions as you pulse improves your form and increases results dramatically. Learning to stretch out along those extensions deepens the contractions and you quickly find that perfect position where you can work relaxed and effortless. You finish feeling more refreshed, less worn out but you actually worked harder. If I had to choose between them I would go with Evolution. For a great treat visit the Callanetics Studio and get Sandra's new 42 minute video. Quite a challenging workout in itself.

I'm treating myself to another run of The Callanetics Studio 42 min session video this morning. I'm enjoying the challenge and I'm determined to master those devilish pelvic rotations/pliés!!!! I'm seeing some impressive results after only two sessions of this video and as this will be my 60th consecutive session to date I wanted to celebrate by working under Sandra's expert guidance.

Until later, happy pulsing all.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:08 AM   #48
Junior LCF Member

Thanks everyone Did another hour today, feeling good. Thanks abrandnewu for the tips, as well as susanw53. It seemed to helo and although not completely there yet, we'll see and I'll keep practicing
Old 10-07-2013, 09:43 AM   #49
Senior LCF Member

OMG! everyone who has joined us since I was last here!!! There are so many of you! Lon, Meggi, zayna, zippy! Forgive me if I missed someone, I feel like I have.

Welcome back newmomtx! Nice to see you again!

And abrandnewu, you get one of these... ... I hope everything is alright over there.

---------------------------------------

Last night, during a parkour session, I crunched my gluteus medius (the muscle right on the rear hipbone on your lower back). I landed lightly, but incorrectly (on the outer aspect of my foot), and it seems it traveled up to my hip - my ankle is fine. It wasn't noticeable in the landing, but a few minutes later. This is my weak point anyway, so I'm kind of dealing with it in some way or another. Anyway, I had stretched last night, but after today's Callenteics session, I feel so much better! I'll just have to keep an eye on it and keep stretching it I guess.

I have indeed started my splits today, as i said I would, and it's not as bad as I thought. I'm only 2.25 feet from the floor! However, I do know that with consistent, gentle stretching, I will get lower and lower, and I will get down to that floor in no time. After all, I've done it before... even if it was 20 years ago.

I did my leg extended hip and behind exercise with my hands placed in a relaxed manner on my bent knee in front of me, and this intensified the exercise dramatically.

It seems my body is taking off as far as strength is concerned (some exercises are becoming easy, and that's with making them more difficult! And to think of where I was in March.) and so will seek more advance moves in my program, and will take a look at Sandra's new video before my next session, so I can make some decisions.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:28 PM   #50
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: RENEWED
Stats: 190/150/140
Yaaaay! There ARE people still doing Callanetics!

I haven't been on this forum in a long while but I decided I want to recommit to Callanetics so this is the first placed I looked. I remember seeing great results years ago and since right now my energy is soooooo low due to an iron-deficiency anemia, I figured now would be a great time to dust my dvd off and do this since my workouts in the gym have been so incredibly tough lately.

Lets see.... there are about 24 days days left in the month and I would like to get in at least 15 sessions. Hope its ok for me to join ya!!
RENEWED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:13 PM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Progress Photos; Session 40 - 60

I have posted pictures of my changes from session 40 to session 60(today) on the Before and After thread. Search for "Callanetics Photos" and find the one started by Watch-Me-Shrink. I see spectacular change going on, particularly with alignment, but lots of pulling in as well. It will be interesting to track this progress over the next year. Yeah!

RENEWED. What an appropriate user name. I always tell people I do Callanetics so I'm rebooting and growing younger. Let's see if we can help you with that renewal.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:58 PM   #52
Junior LCF Member

Susan! Wonderful results! This is why I love callanetics You can't deny those results!
Old 10-07-2013, 06:59 PM   #53
Junior LCF Member

1st hour complete! I'm so glad I started. 14 more hours to go for my goal this month!
Old 10-07-2013, 07:02 PM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marlenelet
Thank you for sharing, susan. Before, I've always thought that getting in shape equals whipping ourselves into shape....and I've stayed off any form of physical exercise for many years. My mindset is changed after I started Callanetics and seeing some results. I'm still a long way from reaching my goal....but I'm ready to take the next step....so I'm going to go ahead and order the Evo & Super.
marlenelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:18 PM   #55
Senior LCF Member

I saw! I saw!

Wow Susan!!! Great results!

I saw you hair get longer and your... everything lifting and I felt like I was looking back in time, as though the second ones were your "younger" pictures, but they aren't they're your "now" pictures. Woo hoo!!!
Old 10-07-2013, 07:47 PM   #56
Junior LCF Member

Hi Susan, I definitely feel a burn in the muscle even with all counter pulls in place, it's early days for me so the muscle does get fatigued quicker and as that lactic acid pours in I feel a burning sensation which is natural when a muscle is starting to fatigue. But I also meant it as a figure of speech because even though Callanetics is gentle...it is a killer workout, especially with all counter pulls in place!
Old 10-07-2013, 07:51 PM   #57
Junior LCF Member

Fabulous results Susan.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:15 PM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: callangirl
Stats: 255/147/135
Start Date: July 3, 2012
First session of 12 so far! Way to go, Susan!
callangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:04 AM   #59
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Amata
Stats: 5'3" getting to slim and healthy
WOE: Fewer and healthier calories
[QUOTE=susanw53;16634349]I have posted pictures of my changes from session 40 to session 60(today) on the Before and After thread. Search for "Callanetics Photos" and find the one started by Watch-Me-Shrink. I see spectacular change going on, particularly with alignment, but lots of pulling in as well. It will be interesting to track this progress over the next year. Yeah!

What great results, Susan! Congratulations In just a short while your body all looks lifted, stronger and really pulling in, and must feel even better. If that doesn't motivate, I don't know what does.
Good for you
Monique
Amata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:40 AM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Thank you everyone. it surprised me how much courage it took to post those but I've noticed that most of the pictures you see are either only moderately overweight women or taken after the fact when our bodies begin to look more acceptable to ourselves so I thought it was important to get them out there and track the progress from closer to the beginning of the transformation of a larger woman. This way I can refresh my Grandaughters' memories when the youngest ones can't remember when Grandma was larger.

Jigglebuster I felt the same way when I looked at them. It's a fairly common occurrence that I look in the mirror and am shocked at how I'm apparently growing younger!!! What I noticed most about the photos is how much better my alignment is, particularly my feet, and how the forward thrusting of my head is adjusting back causing that hump at the top of my spine to dissipate. Good times.

abrandnewyou I understand. I've been there before and worked through the burn. I've since learned that it's a better idea to stop and wait for that burn to diminish with some slow deep breathing. One of the wonders of Callanetics is how you can still get fabulous results while perfecting the form. You're doing great. Keep it up.

This picture is me carrying a box of Dialysis fluid for my husband. The boxes weigh in excess of 25 lbs each and I discovered yesterday that me + one of these boxes weighs what I did before I started losing weight last year. I've lost the equivalent of one box! I couldn't figure out how to make it rotate.

Happy pulsing all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (39.0 KB, 35 views)