Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > The Exercise Board
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2013, 03:35 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

WOE: Atkins (Induction)
Start Date: 1/14/2014 (again)
Questions about exercise.

Ok. I've been trying to research the differences between cardio and weight training as it relates with the low carb lifestyle. I can't do walking or anything really on my feet due to plantar's fasciitis. I do, however, own a recumbent stationary bike. I would like to start weight training (very slowly). I'm not wanting to bodybuild. I just want to try to keep my muscle tone and maybe help out my metabolism and maybe help my body gain some definition as I begin losing weight

I have found so many differing views on whether or not weight training is a good idea when eating low carb. Some have said they've had no problem, while others have said that they have had various problems. Even here on these boards.

Also, when looking at cardio, I've seen differing opinions about high-density and low-density cardio workouts. I'm so lost now about this. I thought all exercise was good for you.

Any personal experience (good or bad) any of you have had with exercise would be greatly appreciated. I'd rather hear from my boardmates than reading some of those articles I have read (possibly written by "reporters" who have no personal experience with the situation other than interviewing others.)

Kate

Proud mom of:
Jessica-23; Brooke-10; Kaitlyn-9; David-5; Sarina-3

Proud grandma of:
Ian-5 and Ethan-3

brooke&kaitlynsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2013, 05:50 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Bumping up
Old 10-01-2013, 07:07 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: michelle
Stats: 195.4/190/130ish
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: November 12, 2013
Hey

Just saw this and will give my two cents if you want it.

Have you been checked by a Dr. for your feet/foot? I had the same issues and found stretching my calfs, proper shoes and massaging my foot with a frozen golf ball helped it. BUT rest will the only thing that stops it. A stationary bike is great!

Cardio gets the heart rate elevated that is why it is called cardio. It is best when done for a sustained period of time. It burns fat the best. Anything with impact is also good for bone density.

Weight lifting works the muscles individually and also is great for bone density.
It develops the muscles and helps to burn fat.

Trust me when I tell you I did not bulk up when I started. I shrank! I dropped 30 pounds quickly. I started with Les Mills BODYPUMP. I also go into the gym and use weights. I do an interval cardio on the elliptical also BODYJAM.

The Body For Life program at Bodyforlife.com explains how these together are needed (especially for women) How to properly do your cardio to burn the fat. Weight lifting two to three times a week is one of the best things you can do for your body as is cardio.

Remember Fat is Fat and Muscle is Muscle. Fat does not turn into muscle and muscle does not turn into fat. A toned body is a lean body. Most of us are "toned" under that layer of fat.

Michelle
michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:08 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

one more thing....the more active your lean mass is (muscles) the more calories you burn even when sitting!
Old 10-01-2013, 11:09 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Michelle,

Thank you for your response. It was very helpful. Yes, I have had my feet checked out and that was the diagnosis.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:43 PM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: julieboolie
Stats: 272/152.4/155 Size 26/8/4-6 :)
WOE: one day at a time!!
Start Date: July 14, 2003 - every day!!
I think both are important for overall health. If your goal is to lose weight, it's mostly the result of diet. Exercise is good for you, improves your health, strength, fitness and muscle mass-but it does NOT help me lose weight. And I've been at this for over 20 years now. I've done intense versions of cardio and weight training and any weight lost was from diet.

As with all things, ymmv. Michelle has lost from the exercise alone, which is amazing!! WTG!!! I'm pretty close to my goal weight now, and hypothyroid and hormonally imbalanced, so losing any weight is a real struggle for me. It requires Herculean effort . I work out a lot now (4-5 times a week a mixture of weight and cardio) but that's to build fitness and muscle. Ive accepted i wont lose weight from it. But, being smaller and fit is such a blessing and I'm enjoying it immensely!!

Hopefully you'll continue losing when you add the exercise in. I've been known t gain 5 lbs once I'm back to working out (water retention mostly). Good luck!!
julieboolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:26 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Julie you have done amazing even with a hormone imbalance...so see anyone can do it!
Old 10-19-2013, 07:45 AM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: julieboolie
Stats: 272/152.4/155 Size 26/8/4-6 :)
WOE: one day at a time!!
Start Date: July 14, 2003 - every day!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle View Post
Julie you have done amazing even with a hormone imbalance...so see anyone can do it!
Thanks!! The first hundred were so much easier than the last 10-20! crazy!! Atkins worked great for me the first time I did it. Now? It's good for maintenance but not for losing anymore weight. A struggle, but worth it!
julieboolie is offline   Reply With Quote