Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   The Exercise Board (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/exercise-board/)
-   -   Do you think exercise exercise helps you lose weight? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/exercise-board/811320-do-you-think-exercise-exercise-helps-you-lose-weight.html)

Garlic 09-02-2013 11:01 AM

Do you think exercise exercise helps you lose weight?

OK, to me that sounds like a really dumb question....

But in at least one, and possibly 2 of the LC books I have read, the idea of needing exercise is pretty much dismissed. And I have read here on LCF more than 1 thread about people thinking exercise stalls them. ( Really I think it is the addition of muscle while losing fat ).

But the only time in my life that I lost SERIOUS amounts of weight was when I exercised a LOT... and I mean like 15 - 20 hours a week.

Starting tomorrow, since the kids are headed back to school, I will have my days to myself again, and I will be working out a pretty good amount..... maybe 8 - 10 hours a week. I have no desire to workout 15 - 20 hours again, ever.

I am hoping / really thinking, that exercise is what will really break this period of holding my weight, and will allow weight loss to really kick in.

ravenrose 09-02-2013 12:10 PM

it's hard to know, isn't it? at the times I was exercising a good deal I was also watching everything I ate very closely. Did the exercise contribute metabolically to the loss? did it help me stick to my eating plan? I think this is a case where n = 1 is not enough to know one way or another.

I do think it's clear that it increases appetite and if someone is eating to hunger it will balance out with more eating. I think for it to work you have to ignore that extra hunger and just not eat more.

stews 09-03-2013 10:57 AM

for me in my experience, yes exercise helps me lose weight it also helps me keep my muscle while losing. the other thing it does for me is helps me to stay in the right frame of mind. When I am in a good exercise routine, i tend to make healthier choices in other areas of my life also.

confusedtruffle 09-03-2013 11:23 AM

Yep, there's some science here. Exercise causes an afterburn effect (if you exercise vigorously for short periods) where you continue to burn more calories at rest than you would normally.
Do you want to spend an hour of your day burning 400 (or more) calories on a treadmill, or sitting on the couch only burning 60?

It does affect weight loss, but I'd say the 80% diet 20% exercise saying is completely accurate.
On low carb, your glycogen stores aren't through the roof anyway so you're not storing any excess water or fat by eating too much of the wrong thing (which happens with storing glycogen).

Michelle765 09-03-2013 01:25 PM

Heavy weights, treadmill in fat burning zone

I have given up cardio after reading about the negative effects, and have picked up heavy weights again. I'd forgotten why I did it the first time (over 10 yrs ago). Yesterday I started squats (no extra weight) and maxed out on all the other leg work I do. I was so pooped I couldn't bear to sit up for about 3-4 hrs. Surprisingly I'm not in pain today but I have been hungrier than normal.

My plan is to lift heavy on Sat and Sun, and walk as I feel like it during the week. The fat burning zone is pretty easy for me and it keeps me moving.

Jigglebuster 09-14-2013 09:29 AM

Weight? Not necessarily. Fat? Yes. However, you might gain weight, simply because you're gaining muscle, and muscle weighs more than fat.

Exercise and an increase in lean muscle mass require your body to use more calories to maintain your weight. If you eat the your body's current required calories, you will not lose weight. So if we eat our ideal body weight's caloric requirements or less, we will lose weight, because, this will force our body to utilize it's stored energy i.e. fat.

I try not to focus on my weight and focus on how I feel and how I fit into my clothes. Numbers can play with our minds.

My 2. :dunno:

GME 09-14-2013 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stews (Post 16587766)
for me in my experience, yes exercise helps me lose weight it also helps me keep my muscle while losing. the other thing it does for me is helps me to stay in the right frame of mind. When I am in a good exercise routine, i tend to make healthier choices in other areas of my life also.

This goes for me too. :up:

It isn't the calories burned in the exercise, it is the whole lifestyle.

Patience 09-14-2013 11:10 AM

I used to be able to eat just about all I wanted as long as I exercised.
Not true as I've grown older!!
Dr. Mary Eades points out a similar experience as she has aged.

I have lost over 10 pounds in three months with only moderate exercise, moderate walking and yard work. A colleague told the same age who has been swimming an hour a day told me she had lost three pounds over the summer. t's not a contest, just an observation given that she mentioned how hungry she is. I am not opposed to exercise and would like to and willl get back to some weight training and yoga and a bit of cardio, but I am really surprised by my rate of loss with very little of the kind of exercise I did 15 or 20 years ago. Ten pounds in 3 months doesn't sound like much, but I am thrilled as I know I can easily continue eatiing as I am now and be down another 10 by Thanksgiving or so. It is adding up.

wastednuffime 09-16-2013 06:03 AM

Muscle tone, energy, clarity, and feeling of over-all well being...

These are among the things that exercising gives me!! Any added weight loss, is a Bonus!!

SpunkiMama 09-19-2013 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stews (Post 16587766)

^^THIS^^

Yes it will cause you to stall, because you are balancing out fat/muscle... exercising is good for you regardless of the # on a scale.. as long as I know I am working out to my fullest ability to do so, and I know I am giving my 100%... i am toned, not flabby. My heart is conditioned and will keep on tickin for years to come...

The ONLY way to lose weight, effectively is to have a good, solid, workout regimine..

Sure there are those who eat little, lose weight... but yet they have flabby skin and probably cholesterol issues... The benefits of exercise outweighs anything else... IMO Eat right, Exercise.. In the end, you will win the race within yourself.

anglgrl 09-19-2013 02:13 PM

No, it hasn't helped me lose weight. I do it for strength and to improve insulin resistance.

kjwalsh 09-22-2013 02:57 AM

My choice of exercise is walking and I have two dogs that keep me company. I started walking to lose weight but I keep walking because it makes me feel better, both physically and mentally. We have miles of bike paths and many beautiful parks in my area that I take full advantage of, even in the winter.

One thing that keeps me motivated(besides the two dogs who get antsy if they don't get their walk!)is my Fitbit. My goal every day is 10,000 steps and it's synced with my phone so I get messages that will say "Only 1,503 steps 'til goal!" And I will get up and do those steps!:up:

LiLi914 09-22-2013 06:34 PM

Exercise for me is more about the psychological benefits. It helps relieve stress and just gives me a place to shut my mind off for an hour. I don't know of the weight comes off because of the exercising, but working out three-four days a week has really helped me stay on track and take accountability for what I put in my mouth.