Flatter toned abs
Long lean legs with awesome muscle definition
Lean, sculpted arms
Youthful neckline
Stronger pelvic floor
Increased flexibility
Increased strength
Restore youthful alignment and posture

Feel full of energy, vitality and empowered. There's nothing like Callanetics to safely tone and shape the body.

Callanetics is safe for everyone regardless of age and fitness level. It's particularly beneficial and safe for people with back, neck and knee issues.

Reclaim your youthful body shape by joining us for the Callanetics Challenge.

Certified Callanetics Instructors post regularly to help with any queries, modifications and intensifications.

Happy Pulsing!
Donna D is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2013, 05:55 AM   #2
odo
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: odo
Stats: 148
WOE: none
Start Date: 2003, 07/2013

I am in for the September challenge .
I am in line with you Susan, 13 sessions (3 per week) for September. That will bring my total sessions up to a nice round 30 by the end of September .

I took my measurements this morning ready for September.
1st August/1st September (after 17 sessions):
Weight:148lbs/150.6lbs (+2.6lbs)
Waist:32.8in/30.5in (-2.3in)
Under Bust:31in/30in (-1in)
Hips/Belly:39.7in/39in (-0.7in)
Bust:36.4in/34in (-2.4)
Neck:13in/13in
Thighs:22.5in/23.5in (+1in)

US Navy calculation:
1st August/1st September
31% Body Fat/29% Body Fat (-2%)

So a summary of the above measurements, put on muscle=weight increase, lost fat (US Navy cal.), and the rest of the fat evidently has slipped down from top to my thighs I am a happy person .

Amanda
Total sessions 17.
odo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:39 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: susanw53
Stats: 238.9/195.2/155
WOE: Just sensible control
Start Date: Callanetics, 7/98, restart 5/2013
Very well done Amanda. That little weight gain is cause for celebration. It means you have wonderful surprises ahead.
susanw53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:23 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bluerosesmagick
Stats: 277/270/160
WOE: Primal
Start Date: September 2013
I am in!! I will do Callanetics 3 times per week along with my bike riding This will be my FIRST time doing Callanetics! Wish me luck!
bluerosesmagick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:07 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jigglebuster
Stats: 168... 153(March)/???/~145 5'7.5" wrist: 6.25"
WOE: Organic and nothing packaged and 70% raw.
Start Date: Callanetics : Aug 18 '09 then again: Mar 15 '13
I'm in! I will do what I can with a goal of 13.

It seems I have totally been miscalculating my weight! Last night I slept at my friend's place. This is where I was in March, when I started Callanetics again, and this is where i weighed myself. The scale I used a couple months ago was in Kilograms, and I didn't convert anything correctly. So.... I had apparently gained eight pounds during this time ( I recalculated), and then lost it again. And so I have gained .8lbs since March, and since everyone is commenting on how much weight I've lost, and how strong I look (more definition), I can only attribute it to muscle gain.

Off too adjust my specs....
Thighs: L:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
........R:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
Above Knee: 21.5(2009)...16.25"(Mar2013)/15.25"/15.5
(M)Calves L: 17.5(J2010)...15"(Mar2013)/14.5"/ 14.0
.........R: 17(J2010)...14.6"(Mar2013)/14.25"/14.0
Starting all over with 171 hours (14/16 this month) of Callanetics, and playing outside!
Jigglebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:46 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerosesmagick View Post
I am in!! I will do Callanetics 3 times per week along with my bike riding This will be my FIRST time doing Callanetics! Wish me luck!
bluerosesmagick! Prepare to become addicted to these wonderful, gentle pulses. If you have any questions just ask. Someone on this motivational thread will have an answer. We're glad to have you join us.

Happy pulsing.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:50 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigglebuster View Post
I'm in! I will do what I can with a goal of 13.
It seems I have totally been miscalculating my weight! Last night I slept at my friend's place. This is where I was in March, when I started Callanetics again, and this is where i weighed myself. The scale I used a couple months ago was in Kilograms, and I didn't convert anything correctly. So.... I had apparently gained eight pounds during this time ( I recalculated), and then lost it again. And so I have gained .8lbs since March, and since everyone is commenting on how much weight I've lost, and how strong I look (more definition), I can only attribute it to muscle gain.

Off too adjust my specs....
Miscalculation or not you are almost to all of your goal measurements and have even gone beyond some of them. Exemplary work Jigglebuster. You are doing a bang-up job of living up to your user name.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:22 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CathinVan
Stats: 145/143/138
Start Date: August 2013
First time poster. I am in.

I started doing Callanetics when I lived in England in the late 80's. 25 years on and I am now living in Canada. I ordered the 10 in 10 DVD a few years ago for my Canadian DVD player and until this July it was in the cupboard.

Having reached 50 in June I started Callanetics again in July and have been following this post for the last month. So far I managed 5 10/10 sessions in July and 20 in August. I am going to try for 3 times a week in September.

Love this supportive thread!

Good luck all.

Catherine
CathinVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:05 PM   #9
odo
Senior LCF Member

bluerosesmagick and Catherine !!

Amanda
Old 09-01-2013, 01:41 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Zula
Stats: 140/113/100
WOE: Raw vegan trying for moderate carbs
I'm in! I'm committing to 10/10 every Monday, so 5 this month, Super every Wednesday so 4 sessions (6 hours) this month, and Evolution every Friday to set me up for the weekend, so another 4 hours. That gives me 13 sessions and 15 hours. In addition I've set myself the target of 80,000 steps per week and shoulder/arm exercises (I manage to dislocate then relocate my bad shoulder a few days ago!) on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I need to do some targeted exercises in those areas to strengthen up. I suspect some Callanetics ab work may slip in too!

Big welcomes to Catherine and bluerosesmagick! You're gonna love those little pulses!

And I didn't get a chance to say thanks to Susan and Jigglebuster for their replies to my weight loss but measurement increase on the August thread. So thank you ladies for the reassurance. My muscles are more defined by the session so although I'm currently getting bigger I'm sure you are right and that it will all fall off. I'll hit 50 hours before September ends so I shall measure and update you.

Going back to re-read Susans post re contracting muscles!

Last edited by Zula; 09-01-2013 at 01:42 PM..
Zula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:19 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: planetbenjamin
Good luck everyone for this month
planetbenjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:43 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: callangirl
Stats: 255/150/135
Start Date: July 3, 2012
I'm in! I plan on doing Callanetics 3x a week with cardio and upper body on alternative days. One day off for rest and recovery...

Welcome to all newbies!!

Good Luck Everyone!
callangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:01 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: qwerky
WOE: Moderate carbs (no 'whites')
Start Date: Sep 09
I'm in as well, for three sessions per week of my AM/PM program (so that's a cut-down session twice a day), plus the three classes I teach a week. I only do a few demonstration pulses for each exercise in the classes, but it all adds up and makes a difference over time.

It's spring here in Australia and the weather here in Canberra is just glorious right now, with all the blossom out. So all the motivation is there to do the full sessions, and face square on even the more physically and emotionally challenging exercises, such as abs.

Here's to a pulseworthy September!
qwerky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:18 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sandrahanna
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerky View Post
I'm in as well, for three sessions per week of my AM/PM program (so that's a cut-down session twice a day), plus the three classes I teach a week. I only do a few demonstration pulses for each exercise in the classes, but it all adds up and makes a difference over time.

It's spring here in Australia and the weather here in Canberra is just glorious right now, with all the blossom out. So all the motivation is there to do the full sessions, and face square on even the more physically and emotionally challenging exercises, such as abs.

Here's to a pulseworthy September!

Hey, what a lovely surprise to see you here again
Sandrahanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:23 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sandrahanna
Good luck for the September Challenge all
Sandrahanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:51 AM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Pease Pudding
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: Sept 2009
Hi everybody! I'd like to join in again for this month. I look on most of last month as my induction - managed 6 sessions. So I am setting my sights at 6 sessions minimum this month, with the hope that I can fit in more. It is just so inspirational reading about everyone's improvements, and the problems overcome in getting there (a great AHA! moment, susanw53!). There's a lot of tenacity and determination out there! Here's hoping some of it rubs off on me!

Even with just 6 hours, I am seeing slow but positive changes - plus my weight is going up a bit but I feel slimmer, so more muscle is forming somewhere . Waist is still slimming but I was a bit annoyed to find more back fat when I thought it was going, but maybe it has moved around from the front! Pity I couldn't just get a palette knife and smooth it all out evenly and nicely...

Pease
Pease Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:11 AM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: keepfitbrit
Start Date: 16th April 2013
Hi everyone
I missed last month so have some catching up to do but got to 47 sessions by end of July. Those sessions have had a noticeable effect on my fitness as I walked around a huge castle ruin on holiday with hundreds of steps and steep hills. It was a wonderful day and managed it with ease To think, I would not have attempted anything like that before I started callanetics.

Anyway, I am aiming for 10 -13 sessions this month of Evolution with added exercises from the book. I start a new job on Wednesday as well so I have an exciting month ahead.
Well done to everyone who did the August challenge and hi to all newbies.

Happy pulsing!
keepfitbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:52 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

We're off to an exciting start to September. it's nice to have some old posters back again after long hiatus and always exciting to welcome new challengers. CathinVan and qwerky). All this activity always entices new lurkers to join in the fun.

You guys know my penchant for continuing education via my self-imposed mini sessions with the Internet. This weekend I stumbled into the concept of Anatomy Trains, the interconnected fascia (connective tissue that holds everything inside your skin where it belongs and connected to other parts of your body for mechanical, electrical and chemical balance throughout the system). In my search I found a site I am compelled to share. The site is Healing Arts Continuing Education. Here are the particulars of the course:

Advanced Anatomy: Myofascial Meridians (6 Continuing Education Hours)

This course is approved for 6 hours of Continuing Education for Massage Therapists by the Texas Department of State Health Services: Approved Provider: MARK SCOTT URIDEL CE0009 and for Registered Yoga Teachers by the Yoga Alliance. Mark S. Uridel is approved by the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork (NCBTMB) as a continuing education provider.

This course provides foundational information about the myofascial system in the human body and indentifies the major myofascial meridians. Pictures are provided to point out major anatomical structures and guidelines are given for the practical application of massage and yoga when working with the myofascial meridian system. The massage techniques are not demonstrated via video because on-line courses are not allowed to contain technique content.
Learning Objectives: After reading this course, you will…

be able to describe the anatomy of fascia.
be able to explain the anatomy of the myofascial net.
be able to describe the anatomy of the myofascial meridians throughout the body.
be able to identify access points along the myofascial meridians for bodywork applications.

I'm not suggesting anyone take the course for credit but rather to use the information to further improve your understanding of how your body is really wired, which, taking into account my last post from last month about relaxing into the contraction, I believe will change your approach to Callanetics. I also used my cool anatomy app to get a better understanding of the muscle points of origin and attachment and the muscle actions of basic body movement. I warn you, it's not reading for the faint of heart. It takes some effort to get familiar with anatomy terms and concepts, but when you begin to visualize the flow of the fascia lines and the beautiful way they weave their way through your body and each other you will be amazed. I spent all weekend envisioning them and the muscles, tendons and ligaments involved as I followed the lines throughout my body. If all you get from it is a superficial understanding of the lines you will benefit. It's not necessary to dive in like I always do. The spiral lines fascinate me the most, starting at the front crest of the hips, flowing down the outside edge of the leg across and under the foot, back up the outside of the leg to the sit bone, through to the front of the body where it crosses to the opposite side with the abdominals, up the spine, under the scapula to the neck, crossing to the other side of the body again, following the spine back down until it crosses through the body cavity again to attach to the sit bone again. See??? Marvelous! That's only one type of line, albeit the most complicated. But now I know why when your pelvis is incorrectly tucked your arches fall, among other revelations. I'm only part way through the lines myself and I've been immersed for days.

It's a compulsion, this need to pass on information. Thanks for indulging me. I'll post later after my Monday session. Until then, happy pulsing.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:09 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Zula
Stats: 140/113/100
WOE: Raw vegan trying for moderate carbs
There is a great book called Anatomy Trains which I used alongside my study. Fascia isn't just 'there', it has critical function. It's worth learning about course or otherwise to help with workouts as well as injuries.

I've done my scheduled 10/10 today so I'm on target!
Zula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:07 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zula View Post
There is a great book called Anatomy Trains which I used alongside my study. Fascia isn't just 'there', it has critical function. It's worth learning about course or otherwise to help with workouts as well as injuries.

I've done my scheduled 10/10 today so I'm on target!
Finding mention of that book was the start of my journey this weekend. The cost was prohibitive so in looking for available info I found this course. I still plan to purchase the book when household funds permit, but this course was a great find in the meantime. For some reason I hadn't ever approached the subject before. My limited introduction convinces me we should pay more attention. I can't wait to see what effect it has on my session today.

Last edited by susanw53; 09-02-2013 at 06:08 AM.. Reason: Additional comment.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:54 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jigglebuster
Stats: 168... 153(March)/???/~145 5'7.5" wrist: 6.25"
WOE: Organic and nothing packaged and 70% raw.
Start Date: Callanetics : Aug 18 '09 then again: Mar 15 '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanw53 View Post
Miscalculation or not you are almost to all of your goal measurements and have even gone beyond some of them. Exemplary work Jigglebuster. You are doing a bang-up job of living up to your user name.
Thanks Susan! It's true though, things really have stopped jiggling! I think that happened in May, so I'm quite pleased.

As far as my weight is concerned, I weigh myself every 4-6 months just to check in and out of curiosity. I find focussing on my body's ability to move in a more agile manner, with strength and control, to be much more telling than any numbers, including our measurements.
Jigglebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:13 AM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Shrinking123
Stats: 173/162/109
Start Date: 1 August 2013
I'm in!

Hi everyone - newbie here

Please can I join in?

I just started eating clean a few weeks ago, and started working out last week. I'm alternating Callanetics (10/10) and DDP Yoga.

I think I'll set a target of 12 Callanetics sessions in September. I did 1 yesterday, so 11 to go.

Good luck to everyone!
Shrinking123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: silverza
Well I'm back to try it again

I did some Callanetics way back in April May and lost centimetres. I've been on a downward spiral in the opposite direction.
So this month I've hired a personal trainer and will commit to doing 10 10/10 Callanetics this month.

Quick question - anyone seen or have a viewpoint on the Tracy Anderson Method? A friend of mine has a set of dvd's and I was wondering if it was worth watching?
silverza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:09 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Well, my first session of the month is behind me. I pulled up a 60 minute YouTube video of a Zen garden with calming musical tones and prayer bowls (such a mystical sound that goes right to your core), set it for continuous run and had the most pleasant exercise experience of my life. Last session I chose a video of a stream in the forest that looked and sounded like the place where Dale and I got married and had our honeymoon. I call that video "Home" . This Zen video will probably be my go-to from now on for Callanetics. Amazing what the proper ambiance can achieve.

Being aware of the fascia meridians definitely had a positive effect. Relaxing into the contraction has removed most of the strain from my workout allowing me to relax deeper while simultaneously increasing the muscle action and control. Having a sense of the interrelated nature of the fascia meridians gave me an increased awareness of what each movement required. A tremendous mind/body experience. During my favorite waist stretch I gave a lot of thought to the major muscle action required (lumbar side bending) and the muscles that make this happen (Quadratus Lumborum at the base, Iliocostalis, Longissimus and Multifundus running along the spine and even the tiny Intertransversarii between the vertebrae) and focused on letting them do their job while I relaxed. For the first time ever my hips stayed completely quiet as I gently and smoothly slipped into the most controlled practice of this movement ever. The whole session was like that. My floor stretches have recently become my favorite highlight and I'm almost to the floor on all of them. Ahhhhhhh....

One of the things I like best about Callanetics is the way you can make one small adjustment and intensify the movement. Today I used the spiral pulse instead of the traditional up and down while doing the Standing Angled Leg movement from Evolution and OMG! It was like starting all over and oh boy could I feel the muscles working! It will probably take a few sessions to work through.

Shrinking123 and silverza. Good to have you along for the journey. Callanetics is addicting. You've been forewarned. silverza I've only read about Tracy, but what I've read left me glad that I do Callanetics, a program that will consistently and continuously tighten, tone and align my body if I consistently practice it two or three times a week, with no danger of harming myself. It turns out that strain and effort are counterproductive and my sense of Tracy is that she's stuck in this mentality that you have to work really, really hard to get results. Callanetics proves that it's the control and ability to relax that really gives the best results. Just my opinion.

I love these workouts so much I'm just bursting with the need to share it. You all have wonderful sessions yourselves. Happy pulsing.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:55 PM   #25
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ahviya
Stats: 215
Start Date: May, 2013
Good evening everyone. I didn't reach my goal lat month. But that is okay . Today is a new month with new challenges.

I will try for ten sessions this month along with walking and bike riding. Now that the weather isn't holding out as much, I won't be able to swim at the lake anymore. I completed one session already. Since May, I have completed 37 sessions. So I will keep it up without being hard on myself.
Ahviya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:10 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marlenelet
Hello everyone! Count me in for the September challenge.

1st hour of 10/10 done which brings my total up to 12Hrs.

My goal this month is 3x of 10/10 per week, and to add in some form of cardio. I've got lots of belly fat to lose!

I have not taken the 'before' measurements....I just measure my waist and hips and the numbers are all in my head. So I'm going to go home and get it properly done tonight.
marlenelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:02 AM   #27
odo
Senior LCF Member

+1 session today
Old 09-03-2013, 06:53 AM   #28
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Vanilla
Stats: 154/145/132
WOE: ELMM ;-)
Start Date: Sept 2013
Hello everyone!

I've had one attempt at Callanetics last year, but I've been so crazily busy that I've given up on the work outs

Please help me now and keep me motivated and SYSTEMATIC.

This is my target for Sept. To be systematic.

And just one question, is the first video of Callan "The one hour challenge" OK to work out with?

Greetings to all
Vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:45 AM   #29
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LeaS
Stats: 196/178/155
WOE: Paleo with occasional treats allowed
Start Date: July 2013
Hi ladies!
Labor Day weekend was a blur that felt an awful lot like work
I missed the last 4 days from being out of town, but I'm going to hop back on the Callanetic Wagon today! I CAN NOT BELIEVE how my stomach is shaping up in just 3 workouts! The progress is stunning. From having children and 2 C-Sections I have a "droopy overhang" and it is no longer an overhang so much as a rolling hill. I remember the last time I lost a ton of weight after having my kiddos, the defining moment was when I was laying on the bed, but my stomach wasnt laying on the bed next to me. I'm almost there again!
Not only that but, I ate very poorly compared to my typical clean diet, and I dont have the large amount of water weight (5-7lbs) that typically tags along with consuming: soda w/ alcohol, cupcakes, chips, pasta & pizza. In fact, for the entire weekend I seemed to have only gained 1.2 lbs and I bet I can be rid of that with a couple days of clean eating.
I'm going to wait until my 20th session to take measurements. And I'm in for 3/week 12 sessions this month as well, with intentions of exceeding it. It's a busy month! The heat is dissipating and the beautiful leaves are incoming, which means ROADTRIPS!

Susan it's awesome you've found something you're passionate about .

Amanda: Loving your progress, its inspirational! My hips and thighs are my trouble zones, so its nice to see that progress may mean a slight increase in those areas for me before it gets better.

Zula your schedule sounds like its going to yield big results, looking forward to your progress!

Welcome Blue Roses to the fun! I really enjoy Callanetics and hope you do too. As these ladies have said, it's addicting!

Pease thanks for the mental image of a bunch of women standing around in their undies with palette knives, helping smooth one another down! "Just a little off the back, not too much!"
Too cute!

You can do it!!

Lea.

Last edited by LeaS; 09-03-2013 at 07:49 AM..
LeaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:23 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marlenelet
I missed out my Callanetics session yesterday. Got caught in a traffic jam in a heavy downpour and got home really late. Ugh! But I'm still committed to 3x this week.

My measurements 'before' vs 12Hrs :-
Waist 28" --> 27.5"
Hips 38.5" --> 37.5"

Hmm...is it just me, or is it harder to lose belly fat compared to fat from the hips/legs?

In the past, when I've been trying to lose weight, I ended up with really visible breastbone and looked sickly. I'm happy this time around that I have not lost any weight, only inches....and best of all, no unsightly breastbones poking out.
marlenelet is offline   Reply With Quote